Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The best show of the tour so far...
Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 17, 2022 19:51

I only went to Liverpool and HP2. I really enjoyed both - I would have enjoyed Liverpool more if less bothered by obnoxious drunks in the Pit; HP2 - because of recovery from Covid I had to plump for further away at back of Gold but the atmosphere and sound were excellent. The last time I saw them was 2018 - multiple shows on the UK run. My feeling is that Mick is consistently stronger vocally this tour and if he isn't enjoying every moment, he's giving a really good impression he is; both Ronnie and Keith a little slower and Charlie is missed. But the atmosphere between the band, especially Mick and Keith is infectiously good. I do think we are near to the end but what a great run.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 17, 2022 20:23

How would you know if you weren't there? Ahhhh....a crappy video from someone's smart phone.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 17, 2022 20:37

I think it really depends on more than just their playing - a few variables, including where you are in the stadium, can make or break a show. Someone mentioned, early in the tour, that when Mick comes down the catwalk, the monitors there kick in and distort the sound if you’re close by. I noticed this particularly in Brussels. Another factor can be the people around you - I got pushed around in Gold Circle at HP1 badly enough that I left just before the encore and it was bad enough throughout that I barely noticed the concert. I was at HP 1 and 2, Amsterdam and Brussels. HP2 (Pit 2 on centre rail) and Amsterdam (back rail of Pit 1) were stunners for me, and Brussels (pit 2, centre rail) damn good, except for the monitors, and not being able to see much past the person in front of me. The worst part of the whole damn tour was having to leave after Brussels. I can’t believe they’re still physically able to tour, and play so damn well. There’s definitely a portrait of Mick in someone’s attic, and one of them surely sold their soul to the devil. Much joy and gratitude in Stones-land this summer!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 17, 2022 20:54

hockenheim95
KeithNacho
Why is Keith performing better?? Twenty years of progresive decline. And suddenly he is the best Richards in years. Is his playing as well as his attitude on stage

I don't think Keith performs better this year than the years before but he is concentrating a lot and doesn't have so much parts where he doesn't play but rather walks around as he did in the past. I think Keith is getting honorred here because Ronnies playing has declined a lot since the last tour and this makes his part more important.

Genrally speaking, I think Keith is playing better now than in 2021, but not as well as in 2019.
Seems the long pandemic gap with the postponemnts made him rusty, and 2021 was for the most part a warmup for what he's doing now.
While he he did have some great moments in 2021, they seemed few and far between - especially after the Minneapolis and Tampa ahows which signaled the descent.
So far, we haven't seen or heard any type of decline similar to 2021, and hopefully he continues strong to the finish line. Only five more shows to go!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 17, 2022 21:15

More Hot Rocks
How would you know if you weren't there? Ahhhh....a crappy video from someone's smart phone.

There are several criteria to judge on: setlist, performace, general vibe etc.

Setlist - you don't really need to listen to the show to know
Performance - there are several bootlegs already, not necessarily crappy
General vibe - the most subjective thing. Two people attending the same show may have quite opposite feelings, depending on the place in the venue they were, crowd around them, personal expectations etc.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 17, 2022 22:12

Milan

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: July 17, 2022 22:21

I’m assuming it was either Milan or Hyde Park 2.

Those were the shows for which I purchased tickets. Sadly had to cancel our trip…grrr.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 17, 2022 22:30

Looking ahead, the final show at Waldbühne has the potential of being the best show due to the unique small venue w/capacity of only 22,000,
but as someone else mentioned it could end up being the equivalent of the anti-climactic lackluster final US show in 2021 at the Hard Rock Live in Florida.
Something tells me though they could be aware of the mixed reviews of that show, and this time they want make sure to go out with a BANG for the grand finale - 5 stars!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 17, 2022 22:51

Nice to read everyone's thoughts. My mistake as we're little passed the halfway point now; looks like just a handful of shows left. Will be bummed to see it end alas...

Yes there are many variables to go by. I've not been present at any of them just going by videos online. But the best way I think is to listen to the audio of the show--that's tough when there are many in variying qualities. Right now the Brussels one is super.

I hope an official release is coming from one of these shows. I think it's time now. They have a great pool of choices to choose from among these European shows alone.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 17, 2022 22:55

Justin
Nice to read everyone's thoughts. My mistake as we're little passed the halfway point now; looks like just a handful of shows left. Will be bummed to see it end alas...

Yes there are many variables to go by. I've not been present at any of them just going by videos online. But the best way I think is to listen to the audio of the show--that's tough when there are many in variying qualities. Right now the Brussels one is super.

I hope an official release is coming from one of these shows. I think it's time now. They have a great pool of choices to choose from among these European shows alone.

I really would like to have a classic Live Album Like Flashpoint. A typical Tour Setlist with songs from various shows with banters, introductions and the Intro. But honestly I would prefer a Charlie Live Album to one with Steve Jordan.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 17, 2022 23:08

hockenheim95
Justin

I really would like to have a classic Live Album Like Flashpoint. A typical Tour Setlist with songs from various shows with banters, introductions and the Intro. But honestly I would prefer a Charlie Live Album to one with Steve Jordan.

Yeah or maybe more like Live Licks?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 17, 2022 23:11

Justin
hockenheim95
Justin

Yeah or maybe more like Live Licks?

Live Licks is for me a collection of songs without a real flow. There's even more flow on No Security than on Live Licks

Posted by: stabilo ()
Date: July 17, 2022 23:15

Liverpool was my fist one of the tour on the Kop really good crowd and great night next was Brussels lucky dips in pit b what a fantastic show not just because we got in the pit keef was on top form roll on Berlin.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: July 18, 2022 02:34

Bjorn
When will some of you stop? You don´t have to be there to see, hear - if Keith is out of key or not. The clips on youtube is simple proof, truth. Some of you are not functioning. Just because you were there and had a great time - doesn´t mean every @#$%& note were right.

Ok?

You're 100% right

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 18, 2022 03:45

daniel t
Bjorn
When will some of you stop? You don´t have to be there to see, hear - if Keith is out of key or not. The clips on youtube is simple proof, truth. Some of you are not functioning. Just because you were there and had a great time - doesn´t mean every @#$%& note were right.

Ok?

You're 100% right

No, the matter is not that simple.
That “Keith is out of key or not” (among other factors) is not necessarily a definitive reason a particular night is evaluated as the best show or not.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: July 18, 2022 07:49

Munich. Fantastic sound and show.

Date: July 18, 2022 09:51

Munchen was great too. No bad shows. What a time to be alive.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 18, 2022 10:55

I have only been to two shows, but watched every show (exept for Vienna, yet) and
I think that this tour is really, really good performance-wise.

I cannot fully judge the shows I haven't attended, but Bruxelles felt like a great one, loved Keith's playing a lot and the atmosphere on stage was great.

I started going to concerts in 1986. Sometimes you get a feeling that a you're part of something special, when it just "clicks" and you forget everything else and are just living in the moment - I guess you know what I mean.

Bruxelles was one of those.

Posted by: KeVvV2011 ()
Date: July 18, 2022 11:07

Papo
I cannot fully judge the shows I haven't attended, but Bruxelles felt like a great one, loved Keith's playing a lot and the atmosphere on stage was great.

I started going to concerts in 1986. Sometimes you get a feeling that a you're part of something special, when it just "clicks" and you forget everything else and are just living in the moment - I guess you know what I mean.

Bruxelles was one of those.
Exactly, well said. It felt exactly like that being there.

Posted by: elmod ()
Date: July 18, 2022 11:16

I've only seen 17 shows live in the last 40 years, but musically Vienna 2022 was by far the best of them. I can't say more because I haven't seen anything live from the rest of the tour so far. Acquaintances who were present at 3, 4 or more shows are also unanimous in their opinion of "Vienna".

The media landscape in Austria distributed true hymns of praise - normally a Stones concert is - sometimes rightly - heavily criticized.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-18 11:19 by elmod.

Posted by: Angie73 ()
Date: July 18, 2022 11:23

To be honest it doesn't matter which was the best show....for me it's vienna....what really matters is that there is a tour and they can still deliver quality.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 18, 2022 11:33

Yeah .... thats right Angie

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 18, 2022 12:02

Hairball
hockenheim95
KeithNacho
Why is Keith performing better?? Twenty years of progresive decline. And suddenly he is the best Richards in years. Is his playing as well as his attitude on stage

I don't think Keith performs better this year than the years before but he is concentrating a lot and doesn't have so much parts where he doesn't play but rather walks around as he did in the past. I think Keith is getting honorred here because Ronnies playing has declined a lot since the last tour and this makes his part more important.

Genrally speaking, I think Keith is playing better now than in 2021, but not as well as in 2019.
Seems the long pandemic gap with the postponemnts made him rusty, and 2021 was for the most part a warmup for what he's doing now.
While he he did have some great moments in 2021, they seemed few and far between - especially after the Minneapolis and Tampa ahows which signaled the descent.
So far, we haven't seen or heard any type of decline similar to 2021, and hopefully he continues strong to the finish line. Only five more shows to go!
Completely disagree. He might have played some solo parts cleaner in 2019 but last year and this year he played the rhythm parts with much more drive and force. And that's what Keith Richards is about. At this point I don't care if the Sympathy solo isn't tight or anything, if the riffs like on JJF and SMU are played with passion and energy that's all I want.

Last year he got a little too loose in the second half of the tour but especially the first half was very strong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-18 12:05 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 18, 2022 13:28

Keith has ups and downs every show, his playing doesn't change much over the course of a short tour.

I've noticed plenty of mistakes from him this tour, for example:

Rocks Off - Munich (intro)
Street Fighting Man - Liverpool (before last verse)
Honky Tonk Women - Milan (overall sloppy playing)
Jumping Jack Flash - Hyde Park #1 (first verse)
You Got Me Rocking - Hyde Park #2 (after solo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-18 13:30 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 18, 2022 14:25

So what. I noticed that mistake at Hyde Park, but it didn't take away anything from my enjoyment of the concert. A live concert doesn't have to be perfect for me.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 18, 2022 23:59

yeababyyea
Keith has ups and downs every show, his playing doesn't change much over the course of a short tour.

I've noticed plenty of mistakes from him this tour, for example:

Rocks Off - Munich (intro)
Street Fighting Man - Liverpool (before last verse)
Honky Tonk Women - Milan (overall sloppy playing)
Jumping Jack Flash - Hyde Park #1 (first verse)
You Got Me Rocking - Hyde Park #2 (after solo)

Well you can be picky about anyone, Mick misses his intro cue now and then and gets a bit lost with songs every so often, big deal, so what, doesnt effect the overall show and Keith has become realiable this tour, we don't expect a mistake as much, sure he is in a werid key sometimes but he's trying different things out, man with those fingers it's a miracle he gives us a show at all lets be fair.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 19, 2022 00:33

hockenheim95
KeithNacho

You nailed it with this post, Keith is having to work so much harder on the rythem to keep the momentum going due to Ronnies decline, he can't rely on Ronnie to cover the gaps or lazy playing Keith had got away with, this is the most solid set of shows from Keith as a driving force since 2003, i mean that peroid. He might still make mistakes more than in 2003 but he driving the music like he did 20 years ago, to be better than you have for so long is really something special at Keiths age, you can never write him off, i would love to know why he is in the moment enjoying his music and playing again.

It's facinating watching Keiths ups and downs over the past 40 years, i doubt even Keith himself has the answers, he once said you can't open up Mick or myself up to see what makes us tick, so we just end up accepting it.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 19, 2022 00:34

The only cool thing about YGMR and its solo is how he ends it. This one knocked it out of the literal park. Glazing over the the third verse like that is cool in my book

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 19, 2022 02:48

Hairball
Looking ahead, the final show at Waldbühne has the potential of being the best show due to the unique small venue w/capacity of only 22,000,
but as someone else mentioned it could end up being the equivalent of the anti-climactic lackluster final US show in 2021 at the Hard Rock Live in Florida.
Something tells me though they could be aware of the mixed reviews of that show, and this time they want make sure to go out with a BANG for the grand finale - 5 stars!

I hope you are right and have a great time but calling 22000 capacity "small" or "intimate" is just wrong. 500 to 1000 would qualify

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 19, 2022 03:01

Well, I can say that Matt Lee's videos of this tour have been just outstanding, truly some of the best fan shot footage I've ever seen for any band. He's really gone above and beyond with both quality, quantity, and upload speed.

Thank you, Matt Lee.

smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home