Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: UEFA Women's Euro 2022
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 11, 2022 23:28

I say, Norway down with 0-6 to England after the first half. Never seen anything like this in women's football. Norway is, normally, a very good team...

Seen some games, some awfully bad like Northern Ireland vs Austria today, and some better. Germany and France look like very strong teams. Holland are the reining champions. They didn't look that good against Sweden though (1-1). Sweden? I don't know...they should have won the Olympics. Somehow they managed to screw that up in the end. This tournament has tougher competition. The quarterfinal draw will be very interesting...

Re: OT: UEFA Women's Euro 2022
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 11, 2022 23:43

I'm watching the CONCACAF tournament right now, Canada plays in a couple hours. They've already clinched a spot in the World Cup next year but the winner of this tournament gets an automatic spot in the 2024 Olympics.
Most of the women on Canada were part of last years Olympic gold championship. I started a thread last year about women's soccer but it got shut down because of all the negative comments about women's soccer!
Looks like a lot of the English team are comprised of players on either Chelsea or Man City. I started following after the Olympics since Canadian Jessie Fleming plays for Chelsea and Janine Beckie, until recently, was with Man City. Seems more and more Canadian players are joining European teams which is good to see.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 12, 2022 00:09

Yes! The Women's Euro has got very good coverage here on UK BBC TV, and I guess it's because England are the host nation.

England 8 Norway 0 is a pretty good result for England, considering that Norway are usually such a good team.

Date: July 12, 2022 00:10

Don't twist the knife! grinning smiley

Date: July 12, 2022 00:24

Apparently you (Norway) have a Swedish head coach, Dandy. You can always blame him!

Date: July 12, 2022 00:28

Stoneage
Apparently you (Norway) have a Swedish head coach, Dandy. You can always blame him!

Our Ballon D'or winning striker quit because of him. Recently, she came back, though, after five years.

Date: July 12, 2022 00:36

She was right obviously. I would have kept her instead of him. You can't really defend 0-8 as a coach for Norway. Only a gold can save him now...

Date: July 12, 2022 00:37

A couple Canadian women play for Kristianstad in Sweden. Evelyn Viens and Gabrielle Carle have both previously played on the Canadian national team and were part of the Olympic team last year.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 12, 2022 00:47

England played a insanely good game bravo...................

Date: July 12, 2022 00:57

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-12 01:11 by Stoneage.

Date: July 12, 2022 21:32

Well Canada won 2-0 last night in ridiculous conditions. Temperature was over 40 degrees and humid making it feel like 45 or 113 fahrenheit! Surprised no one passed out from heat exhaustion. They did take water breaks midway through each half.

Date: July 13, 2022 00:58

Teams looking good so far are France, Germany, Spain and England. The key thing for Team Sweden is to win their group in order to avoid France in the quarterfinals. Doesn't matter how good you have played earlier in the tournament in the quarterfinals though. You must be good on that day, otherwise you're out.

Date: July 13, 2022 22:14

Team Sweden won against Switzerland today with 2-1. The team doesn't look the top contender it's supposed to be though. If they don't improve I can't see them making the final.
England, France and Germany still the best teams I have seen so far. Ramona Bachman in Switzerland is a class player though. One the best women football players I have ever seen.

Date: July 14, 2022 16:47

A funny thing about Sweden's group: With one round still to go any team can qualify, no one is out. 4 points (on 3 games) can be enough to make it to the quarterfinals.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 14, 2022 20:21

How on earth can anybody find womens soccer fun to watch?

I’m not bashing the players, not at all. Needless to say Im not against women playing football, who in their right mind is, but it’s so boring!

Date: July 14, 2022 20:28

We've had that discussion before, Redhotcarpet. It leads nowhere... So, if you are not interested just ignore the thread.

Date: July 14, 2022 21:53

Redhotcarpet

I’m not bashing the players, not at all. Needless to say Im not against women playing football, who in their right mind is, but it’s so boring!

I find soccer in general boring to watch. 0-0 ties are not uncommon which would be a total waste of 2 hours personally. One thing I absolutely hate is when a player is barely touched and they fall like they've been shot! The Canada vs. Panama game last week was terrible, no flow to the game. Panama players went down so often killing any momentum Canada had. Ref called for the stretcher over a dozen times!
I only started following the Canadian women after winning Olympic gold. Also, several of the women like Christine Sinclair, Julia Grosso and Jordan Huitema are all locals so it's good to cheer them on. I don't follow our mens team although it's nice to see they made the World Cup, first time since 86. I used to watch the Whitecaps back in the days of the old NASL but don't watch their games when they're on tv.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 14, 2022 21:57

DGA35
Redhotcarpet

I find soccer in general boring to watch. 0-0 ties are not uncommon which would be a total waste of 2 hours personally. One thing I absolutely hate is when a player is barely touched and they fall like they've been shot! The Canada vs. Panama game last week was terrible, no flow to the game. Panama players went down so often killing any momentum Canada had. Ref called for the stretcher over a dozen times!
I only started following the Canadian women after winning Olympic gold. Also, several of the women like Christine Sinclair, Julia Grosso and Jordan Huitema are all locals so it's good to cheer them on. I don't follow our mens team although it's nice to see they made the World Cup, first time since 86. I used to watch the Whitecaps back in the days of the old NASL but don't watch their games when they're on tv.

Interesting. I find sports boring but I can enjoy football if it means watching wizards like Zlatan perform.

Date: July 14, 2022 22:13

In North America soccer has its die hard fans but when you have football, baseball, basketball and hockey, there's a lot more professional sporting options to choose from. Hockey will always be number 1 in Canada.
Regardless, Canada plays Jamaica tonight in the CONCACAF semi finals so that will be a good match. US plays Costa Rica so I'm hoping for a Canada/US finals with the winner getting an automatic entry into the 2024 Olympics.

Date: July 14, 2022 23:04

Can we stay on topic, please? This is a thread about UEFA Women's Euro 2022. I guess I'm the only one interested in this tournament so I will have to start talking with myself again, like sometimes in the hockey threads...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 14, 2022 23:30

Stoneage
I say, Norway down with 0-6 to England after the first half. Never seen anything like this in women's football. Norway is, normally, a very good team...

Seen some games, some awfully bad like Northern Ireland vs Austria today, and some better. Germany and France look like very strong teams. Holland are the reining champions. They didn't look that good against Sweden though (1-1). Sweden? I don't know...they should have won the Olympics. Somehow they managed to screw that up in the end. This tournament has tougher competition. The quarterfinal draw will be very interesting...

The Swedish coach will be fired soon I think. You do not loose a game 0-8 without any further consequences. Most football experts in Norway say he had no plan, no changes, no defense, no actions when his system did not work. Sure England is a better team but still...

Bjornulf

Date: July 14, 2022 23:59

Yep BV, only a medal can save him now. If even that...

Date: July 15, 2022 00:15

Stoneage
Can we stay on topic, please? This is a thread about UEFA Women's Euro 2022. I guess I'm the only one interested in this tournament so I will have to start talking with myself again, like sometimes in the hockey threads...

Hey Stoneage, thanks for posting the topic. I know when you post about the World Hockey Championships, sometimes it's just the two of us posting! The CONCACAF tournament is the North American equivalent of the UEFA so it's a bit on topic! I've seen the scores of England and been following them a bit, mainly because of Canadian connections. Janine Beckie, until recently, played on Man City and Jessie Fleming plays for Chelsea so the majority of England is made up of players from those two teams. I've gotten familiar with many of the names. Seems England has a powerful team.
One thing I wonder since I don't follow soccer too closely, is that a country like Italy where they must have a good team, misses out on the world cup. Conversely, a team from CONCACAF will make the world cup when they aren't nearly as good as one of the Euro countries that don't make it.

Date: July 15, 2022 00:53

Your not on your own Stoneage, when you're talking about the Women's Euro 2022, as I thought 'What's this got to do about a tournament in North America?'.

If anyone wants to discuss that, start a thread that makes it obvious.

There miles apart literally, as well as whoever is taking part.

'Come on England', is my home team, and there looking pretty good, and hoping they get another good win against Northern Ireland on Friday night.

Already qualified, but another win will be great. smileys with beer

Date: July 15, 2022 02:09

crawdaddy
Your not on your own Stoneage, when you're talking about the Women's Euro 2022, as I thought 'What's this got to do about a tournament in North America?'.

If anyone wants to discuss that, start a thread that makes it obvious.

There miles apart literally, as well as whoever is taking part.

'Come on England', is my home team, and there looking pretty good, and hoping they get another good win against Northern Ireland on Friday night.

Already qualified, but another win will be great. smileys with beer

Well, I figured might as well not have 2 threads that are unpopular! There's only a few that are commenting on here. Who knows, if I would have started a new thread, maybe BV would have merged it with this one since it's about women's world cup qualifying?

Date: July 15, 2022 18:50

Looking back,I do agree with you DGA35 about having just one thread for the soccer tournaments going on at the moment.
I will be channel hopping tonight with the two matches in England's group and World Athletics Championship from Oregon and Golf highlights from Scotland.
Hoping to see England get a few goals past Northern Ireland, and maybe Norway giving a better performance tonight against Austria.

Date: July 15, 2022 20:01

About tonight's games: Norway will win their game surely - if they don't the coach will be sacked the moment they are back in Norway. About England's game: It will either finish 0-0 or 10-0 to England.
NI is a very bad team team but since England is already qualified for the quarterfinals they may look for a diplomatic score...

DGA: The quotas are decided by Fifa. The criticism used to be about too many European teams. I haven't followed the discussions lately.
They have expanded the number of teams though, it is 32 teams now and someone proposed 48 teams not long ago - which I think is too many.

Date: July 15, 2022 22:01

Thanks for the info about FIFA!

Last night Canada beat Jamaica 3-0 so now they play the US in the CONCACAF finals on Monday.

Just to add a little European club info, first goal was scored by Jessie Fleming of Chelsea on a header from Ashley Lawrence of PSG. Adriana Leon, formerly of West Ham, who just signed with Man U last week, got a goal and an assist. Jordyn Huitema, formerly Ashley's teammate at PSG but just signed with Seattle, got a nice assist on Leon's goal.
Julia Grosso of Juventus and Jessie Fleming lead Canada with 3 goals each. Janine Beckie, who was with Man City but recently signed with Portland, leads with 4 assists.
It's good to see more and more Canadians getting the opportunity to play for famous European teams because they learn a lot and really improve their game. Julia just started at Juventus this year after a stellar college career for Texas Longhorns and announcers are commenting how her play has improved.
Jessie Fleming said she wanted to go to Chelsea because she wouldn't be one of the best players and could learn from players like Sam Kerr, Fran Kirby, Magdelena Eriksson, Erin Cuthbert, etc.

Date: July 16, 2022 00:48

Congrats to Austria - they were the better team against Norway. They will now meet Germany in the quarterfinals. If they play like they did against Norway
they will actually stand a chance against Germany although the odds will be against them.

Date: July 16, 2022 01:11

Watched some of the two games in England's group, and England and Austria were the deserved teams getting through to the Quarter finals.

Got a great weekend of live music in my area of SW London, so Sport will take second place in my priorities, but still love the soccer, Athletics, Cycling with Tour de France, and The Open Golf tournament in Scotland. smileys with beer

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home