Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: Brussels Belgium 11-July-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 13, 2022 15:36

Doxa
Witness
Doxa
Following the band too closely seemingly makes one's life miserable. Every gig always a disappointment.

One thing that seems to be forgotten in this stamp collecting culture in which a varied setlist is a value of its own is that any new song for the tour loses its impact pretty soon (after one or two performances). For example, the Stones playing "Out of Time" does not seem to excite people here any longer. But say, if one goes to see one show per tour or something like that (like I think quite many of even hardcore fans do), hearing that tune would be special and extraordinary, and something to look for. The same would go to "19th Nervous Breakdown" that despite making the set list last year in America isn't really a warhorse yet. I don't have an ability to see any of the shows this summer, but if I had I would love to hear those two tunes. They are like, say, "Under My Thumb", "Time Is On My Side" and "Let's Spend The Night Together" in 1981/82 tour, being so essential and peculiar to that tour. Actually if I look at five first tracks in this show, or any of this tour so far, they are pretty different compared to the tours in the past, only "Tumbling Dice" being a constant. Even "Street Fighting Man" had a holiday for years.

- Doxa

I am one that will be excited by those songs you mention. Besides, by "Living in a Ghost Town". I have deliberately avoided to listen to these live versions so far, in order to retain the magic. Only read the setlists, desperately hoping that they will play those songs in, yes, the one and only concert that I go to, in Stockholm. I will be very glad to have "Connection" as well, if possible.

Yeah, I should have mentioned "Ghost Town" as well. Belongs to the unique DNA of this tour. Would love to hear "Connection" as well, as Keith seemingly does it quite often now, but for me the Keith spot is a show within a show, and it is always fun no matter which songs he decides to do.

What for the rest of the songs go in terms of rarity, it is very much a question of luck what one has heard before. DandelionPowderman hit the jackpot in Hyde Park: 6 out of 19 songs AD Stones 2022 not heard before live is amazing, since he is no novise in these matters.

Generally, hearing a 'new' song has not ever been that important personally for me, just the greatness of the whole show and that the band is on fire. There has been only one song in my wish list, and I chased it almost ten shows until I get to hear it. Namely, "Midnight Rambler" was not a war horse back in 90's and 00's, although they did play it quite often (I was just unlucky, and I cursed the damn variance in setlistsgrinning smiley). But knowing that songs like mentioned "Breakdown", "Out of Time" and "Ghost Town" are so charasteric to this very tour so it would be like missing something essential for this tour if they wouldn't play them. Besides, it is not playing an 'obscure' song for the sake of it, and 'let's see how it goes'. No, they are well-rehearsed songs they have out thought and energy on (I think the version they nowadays do of "Breakdown" is among the best versions in the modern times of their energetic 60's classics, much to do with a new drummer I believe. They have struggled with those for ages). That they have a pretty constant spot on setlist is also a sign of that. So here comes the 'greatness factor' of a performance I look forward in a show.

Have a great show in Stockholm, Witness!

- Doxa

Thank you so much, Doxa!

You now even managed to find a term for what I often seek about a tour. I do like to experience that a tour has got a particular DNA to remember it by.

Re: Brussels Belgium 11-July-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: July 13, 2022 15:52

Thank you Justin

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: July 13, 2022 15:58

azera45
Thanks for the info Yorkshire. Interesting although I would I thought they would have picture of the Mannekin Pis or the Atomium on the T shirt.

Did you enjoy gig?
It was great!

Date: July 13, 2022 16:31

They still havent done 'Mothers Little Helper". A great song, but for Jagger probably quite a struggle to admit those first lines. Pity - would be easy for him to sing, and it has that same atmosphere that 'Paint it Black' gives us.
Maybe, once they saw how great "Out of Time' was doing they didn't want to rock the boat.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 13, 2022 17:17

Im almost embarrassed to say this but i believe they played one of their best shows in 20 years a couple nights ago, Keith was out of this world, just watch Mick Ronnie and Keith on JJF, the power, on a given night they are still a force of nature, and 80 next year, just unbelievable.
[youtu.be]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 13, 2022 17:18

I believe Mother’s Little Helper would be a success, maybe even on the same level as Out of Time. I think it’s the drug reference as well as old age that’s stopping them from doing it. Or maybe I’m wrong smiling smiley

Brussels Belgium 11-July-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 13, 2022 17:21

Date: July 13, 2022 17:22

Date: July 13, 2022 17:23

Date: July 13, 2022 17:23

KeVvV2011
NashvilleBlues
keefriffhards
Promoman2
My videos of last night:
Slipping Away: [youtu.be]
Connection: [youtu.be]
Bitch: [youtu.be]
Start Me Up: [youtu.be]
Honky Tonk Woman: [youtu.be]
Beast of Burden: [youtu.be]
Jumping Jack Flash: [youtu.be]

Been watching YouTube all night and it's clear Keith is stepping up to the mark, rather than show criticism towards Ronnie its better to give credit where its due, Keith is now holding this band together, if we had Keith underperforming now this tour would be horrendous, but Keith is taking this very seriously and apart from a few bum notes this is impressive, he's getting stronger every show, perhaps he's taking the extra responsibility.
If you listen to Bitch it's all Keith, he's turning the clock back 20 years here.

Very much so. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing/hearing when he played Bitch.
Keith is doing a stellar job given his age and condition this tour. I don't have unrealistic expectations about what he can do and am happy to see him at all. But man, getting one of those moments where the Keith of old shines through is still so good. It also highlighted to me once more how much he is the driving force of the band - when he's on, then the songs are really cooking (as Bitch did here).

Amsterdam was fun but it felt much more like Mick dragging the rest of the band along, as we have seen him do more often over the past years, while Brussels was more of an old-fashioned band gig imo.

Could not agree more guys, this party isn't over yet, just when i think it's over they come back like this, I'm so high right now on that Brussels gig, just WOW.

Date: July 13, 2022 17:37

Start Me Up, just so cool from Keith at the start, and so loud, and does Ronnie read iorr because this solo is a blast, he's playing it with creativity and passion bless his heart.
[youtu.be]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 13, 2022 19:05

keefriffhards
KeVvV2011
NashvilleBlues
keefriffhards
Promoman2
My videos of last night:

Been watching YouTube all night and it's clear Keith is stepping up to the mark, rather than show criticism towards Ronnie its better to give credit where its due, Keith is now holding this band together, if we had Keith underperforming now this tour would be horrendous, but Keith is taking this very seriously and apart from a few bum notes this is impressive, he's getting stronger every show, perhaps he's taking the extra responsibility.
If you listen to Bitch it's all Keith, he's turning the clock back 20 years here.

Very much so. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing/hearing when he played Bitch.
Keith is doing a stellar job given his age and condition this tour. I don't have unrealistic expectations about what he can do and am happy to see him at all. But man, getting one of those moments where the Keith of old shines through is still so good. It also highlighted to me once more how much he is the driving force of the band - when he's on, then the songs are really cooking (as Bitch did here).

Amsterdam was fun but it felt much more like Mick dragging the rest of the band along, as we have seen him do more often over the past years, while Brussels was more of an old-fashioned band gig imo.

Could not agree more guys, this party isn't over yet, just when i think it's over they come back like this, I'm so high right now on that Brussels gig, just WOW.

I concur. I think everyone was on. Even Bernard Fowler blew the doors down. Was so glad I could attend.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 13, 2022 19:15

daspyknows
keefriffhards
KeVvV2011
NashvilleBlues
keefriffhards
Promoman2
My videos of last night:

I concur. I think everyone was on. Even Bernard Fowler blew the doors down. Was so glad I could attend.

Ah yes. Bernard duetting with Mick on BoB was great.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 13, 2022 19:22

I think you guys exaggerate a bit when it comes to the difference between the concerts. Judging from videos, I also thought that Brussels was better than Amsterdam (especially Keith seemed more vital and energetic), but Amsterdam wasn't such a lackluster concert that some people here claim it to be.
Some people here have the tendency to get super enthusiastic when they have a little bit of a better night (like "Keith is back!", "best show since...") but also super harsh when they show some little weaknesses.
In my perception, the differences are there but not that extreme.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 13, 2022 19:35

[youtu.be]
2:30
Where i can find the amazing Ronnie's shirt?!

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 13, 2022 20:31

Steve Jordan is just fantastic. We all know that there is nobody like Charlie, but I think
that the performance quality this tour is party due to Mr Jordan's great drumming, very supportive of the band and also very powerful.
Charlie was absolutely right about Steve.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 13, 2022 20:40

Papo
Steve Jordan is just fantastic. We all know that there is nobody like Charlie, but I think
that the performance quality this tour is party due to Mr Jordan's great drumming, very supportive of the band and also very powerful.
Charlie was absolutely right about Steve.

Trust Charlie to choose his right successor. Now that I’ve witnessed a show with Jordan on drums, I can say that it IS different with him. He’s good. Very good. He’s not Charlie and Charlie I’ll always prefer. He left a legacy that nobody could lift. He was the heartbeat of the Stones, and will always be my preference. But Steve is doing him good justice, and he’s likely be the first to say that he’ll never be able to do it as Charlie did.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 13, 2022 20:49

keefriffhards
Im almost embarrassed to say this but i believe they played one of their best shows in 20 years a couple nights ago, Keith was out of this world, just watch Mick Ronnie and Keith on JJF, the power, on a given night they are still a force of nature, and 80 next year, just unbelievable.
[youtu.be]

Without Charlie - not comparable.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 13, 2022 20:54

Definitely a badass shirt. He’s been a real Stones Fashion Show on this tour. Happy to see Keith back in a bandanna.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 13, 2022 21:26

deeeskannnie
azera45
The T-shirt for the Brussels concert has a greenhouse on the front. Does this have any meaning to Brussels?

This is (are) the Royal Greenhouse(-s) of Laken, a borough of Brussels (FL/D: “De Koninklijke Serres van Laken” – FR: “les Serres royales de Laeken”).
It is, most definitely, though maybe one of the lesser-knowns, a Belgian landmark. There’s a distinctive ‘art nouveau’ touch to the construction – one of the ‘intangible’ landmarks of our country.

To a lesser extent, and maybe unintended as pun, it’s also funny to aknowledge that it might have somenthing to do with the concert (dis-)organisation that day –
“Greenhouse Talent” (who outbidded Live Nation for this gig).

Well, it was a great show and I’d like an event T, but man, that is an obscure reference.

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: July 13, 2022 22:01

drbryant
I was able to make the show in Brussels. Arrived around 13:00 and the taxi had to drop me off a block away because roads were blocked. Saw the huge crowd in front of the hotel and realized the Stones must be staying there. I was sooooo tempted to cancel an afternoon meeting and hang out in the lobby for the Stones. But at the end of the day, I was a good boy and went to work.

A friend drove and it took us a while to find parking, so got to the stadium around 19:30. We stood in a long line for tokens to pay for food, then stood in another line for overpriced food. It was a rip off, but frankly the hamburger with grilled onions was really good. Got to pit A around 20:30 and it was only about 1/2 full. I think Brussels (along with Munich) was the highest priced pit ricket of the tour, so not surprised to see a sparser crowd. Anyway that was good because there were excellent sightlines from anywhere in the pit, and hopefully more Lucky Dippers made it in.

Sound was loud and clear, but something about the venue or the stage setup resulted in a fairly strong echo. The atmosphere was electric - gorgeous warm summer night, a loud, noticeably young crowd, and overall a very strong performance by the band. The only glitches I noticed were the intro to “Bitch” and some confusion from Ron on “Start Me Up”. Interesting how “Miss You” seems to be the pivotal song in the set these days - the one that really gets the crowd going. I remember some folks used to take a bathroom break during “Miss You”, but mo more. The warhorses were more enthusiastically played and received than usual, a tribute to the crowd and Keith lighting up in response. Overall a great night.

Wishlist? “Brown Sugar” as the opener followed by “Bitch” would be nice, and I wish Keith would mix up his numbers a bit, but I know those won’t happen.

Way way off topic…in 2007 we went to the Düsseldorf show and learned we were staying in the Stones hotel when we saw Ronnie walking through the lobby the night before the show. So we hung out in lobby mid-afternoon show day. Never saw Mick or Keith; assume they leave via a back door. But we did see Charlie, who walked with his security guy smiling to applause through the lobby and out the front door to a waiting car. Pretty cool memory. Sadly, no cell phone camera…I had a Blackberry (ugh).

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: July 13, 2022 22:02

keefriffhards
[youtu.be]

I agree with you. I still can't get over this show. It's still in my head. And I saw them 38 times but I never felt that happy after a Stones show. They were unbelievable.

Benjamin.

Date: July 13, 2022 22:21

StonedRambler
I think you guys exaggerate a bit when it comes to the difference between the concerts. Judging from videos, I also thought that Brussels was better than Amsterdam (especially Keith seemed more vital and energetic), but Amsterdam wasn't such a lackluster concert that some people here claim it to be.
Some people here have the tendency to get super enthusiastic when they have a little bit of a better night (like "Keith is back!", "best show since...") but also super harsh when they show some little weaknesses.
A lot depends on where you stand. Your own mood etc. But for me amsterdam was really good but brussel was one of the best of 18 i have seen. Just amazing.

Date: July 13, 2022 22:44

<I wish Keith would mix up his numbers a bit, but I know those won’t happen.>

Isn't that what he's doing?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 13, 2022 23:12

This MR is dynamite
thanks
smileys with beer

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: July 13, 2022 23:20

DandelionPowderman

Yeah he has been mixing it up quite well lately. Connection last year was a nice surprise.

Now he plays

You got the silver
Slipping away
Happy
Connection

In rotation.

I would love to hear thru and thru or I wanna hold you again. Or the beautiful nearness of you. Learning the game in Austin 2006 was also awesome!!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 13, 2022 23:30

PaintMonkeyManBlack
StonedRambler
A lot depends on where you stand. Your own mood etc.
Exactly. Huge factors

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 13, 2022 23:52

"I think you guys exaggerate a bit when it comes to the difference between the concerts. Judging from videos, I also thought that Brussels was better than Amsterdam (especially Keith seemed more vital and energetic), but Amsterdam wasn't such a lackluster concert that some people here claim it to be (...)
In my perception, the differences are there but not that extreme."

Agree 100%, StonedRambler!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 14, 2022 00:17

DandelionPowderman

Well that serves me right for not reading the show night threads!! On this tour, I have only been to Munich and Brussels and both nights got Slipping Away and Connection . . . and based on prior tours I just assumed wrong.

Posted by: KeVvV2011 ()
Date: July 14, 2022 01:55

maumau

This MR is dynamite
thanks
smileys with beer
Cheers, these videos by Stonedforever1 have the best audio I have heard thus far for this show!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home