Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Satisfaction, Stoned, 2120 etc with "enhanced sound"?
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 10, 2022 15:18

Hey kind of silly request but perhaps someone knows what I'm looking for. There was a YT account a few years back who had done his own mixes with some of the 60s songs. In effect the songs seemed to be taking place in a "different room" or whatever to call it. Like Satisfaction where Keith would not be in front of your face but instead all around you and the acoustic guitar in front instead. For me, really interesting. Probably not a surprise now but the channel seems to be gone. He had mixes of Satisfaction, 2120 South Muchigan Avenue, Stoned, Who's Driving Your Plane and more obscure stuff. If anyone knows what I mean or could even point me in a certain direction I would much appreciate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-10 15:19 by Nikkei.

Re: Satisfaction, Stoned, 2120 etc with "enhanced sound"?
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 10, 2022 15:44

The songs you mention were originally recorded mono, and even if they were released as “stereo” by DECCA – it was not really stereo, but duophonic sound (also known as fake stereo). This was a way of making a mono record resemble stereo sound in the 60s. With all kinds of software programs and plug-ins these days, it’s become easier to split a mono recording and make it sound like real stereo. And there was a guy a few years ago releasing stereo versions of Satisfaction etc. on Youtube. I suspect this is what you’ve heard, and my guess is that this guy used modern technology to make 60s mono recordings sound stereo – hence the enhanced sound you are talking about. On Satisfaction, I remember the riff in one channel and the acoustic guitar in the other. Very interesting, but the sheer power of the riff makes Satisfaction sound best in mono IMO. But this is just my guess! If these uploads are no longer there, it’s probably due to copyright reasons.

Date: July 10, 2022 15:51

Yes you can still find "Satisfaction Stereo Remix" where the acoustic comes out quite prominent but that sounds like rather conventionally stereo. As you said there's neat editing software around and what was done there seemed pretty sophisticated, not with the clear channel separation but more like a 3D effect. I seem to recall the tracks were explicitely named "Enhanced Sound"

Date: July 10, 2022 15:56

The starting point of all remixes must be a division by frequencies so maybe the fuzz guitar was simply removed from center and designated to be heard "from the bathroom" with everything else untouched? Since it's the iconic ingredient of the song that would already be enough to turn the whole listening experience around? I struggle to properly express.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 10, 2022 16:56

The account on Youtube is still there. Stereo Classics does great work. No, it isn't a true stereo remix, but he has good equipment and makes some interesting choices to hear slight differences in songs we love. Well worth checking out and not just for Stones.

[www.youtube.com]

edit: And now I see ABKCO removed all his Stones tracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-10 18:02 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: July 10, 2022 19:28

Maybe this comes close to what you mean: Sympathy For The Devil in 8D: [m.youtube.com]

Date: July 10, 2022 19:40

Rocky Dijon
The account on Youtube is still there. Stereo Classics does great work. No, it isn't a true stereo remix, but he has good equipment and makes some interesting choices to hear slight differences in songs we love. Well worth checking out and not just for Stones.

[www.youtube.com]

edit: And now I see ABKCO removed all his Stones tracks.

oh no did we rat them out

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 10, 2022 20:20

The Worst.
The songs you mention were originally recorded mono, and even if they were released as “stereo” by DECCA – it was not really stereo, but duophonic sound (also known as fake stereo). This was a way of making a mono record resemble stereo sound in the 60s. With all kinds of software programs and plug-ins these days, it’s become easier to split a mono recording and make it sound like real stereo. And there was a guy a few years ago releasing stereo versions of Satisfaction etc. on Youtube. I suspect this is what you’ve heard, and my guess is that this guy used modern technology to make 60s mono recordings sound stereo – hence the enhanced sound you are talking about. On Satisfaction, I remember the riff in one channel and the acoustic guitar in the other. Very interesting, but the sheer power of the riff makes Satisfaction sound best in mono IMO. But this is just my guess! If these uploads are no longer there, it’s probably due to copyright reasons.

Here’s a good example of fake stereo.

[youtube.com]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 11, 2022 04:30

As many on this board know, the 85 London CD Hot Rocks release was mastered by Mobile Fidelity and has stereo versions of Play With Fire, Satisfaction, Mothers Little Helper and Get Off of My Cloud. Very wide stereo versions which actually don't sound too good apart from Play With Fire. At least on Satisfaction you can clearly hear the acoustic guitar and piano.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2022 06:05

DGA35
As many on this board know, the 85 London CD Hot Rocks release was mastered by Mobile Fidelity and has stereo versions of Play With Fire, Satisfaction, Mothers Little Helper and Get Off of My Cloud. Very wide stereo versions which actually don't sound too good apart from Play With Fire. At least on Satisfaction you can clearly hear the acoustic guitar and piano.

So I bought Hot Rocks on CD in 1987, would that have been this one?

Stupidly I traded this for something else in 1989 when I bought the Singles Collection on CD. I thought there wasn't any point in keeping it.

It was before the days when I had caught the disease of having duplicates ad nauseum of everything.

Date: July 11, 2022 06:55

treaclefingers
DGA35

Stupidly I traded this for something else in 1989 when I bought the Singles Collection on CD. I thought there wasn't any point in keeping it.

It was before the days when I had caught the disease of having duplicates ad nauseum of everything.

It was actually sold as 2 separate CD's Hot Rocks 1 and 2. These weren't the ABKCO releases from 87 and not available domestically in Canada. I bought mine in early 86 at A&A Records on Seymour a few doors down from A&B. I bought all of the London Mobile Fidelity CD's there as imports although they didn't have all of them.

Date: July 11, 2022 12:53

I got these separate Hot Rocks 1 and 2 releases from Ebay years ago. Great memories of my dad being absolutely disgusted and even suggesting I return them because they smelled of cold cigarette smoke stronger than anything we'd ever encountered before or since. It dissipated as I just checked but that must have taken years

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 11, 2022 14:59

I think the 2002 remaster of 12x5 contains some genuine stereo mixes.

Actually, is there is list, somewhere, of all the genuine stereo mixes? I.E., those that are not 'duophonic'?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2022 18:53

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35

It was actually sold as 2 separate CD's Hot Rocks 1 and 2. These weren't the ABKCO releases from 87 and not available domestically in Canada. I bought mine in early 86 at A&A Records on Seymour a few doors down from A&B. I bought all of the London Mobile Fidelity CD's there as imports although they didn't have all of them.

Right, so I traded the complete set I guess from '87 then. I do remember the individual Hot Rocks discs. Seemed strange that they split them at the time.

AH...record row there on Seymour. I remember A&B being the more 'affordable' store but A&A have some more esoteric stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-11 18:54 by treaclefingers.

Date: July 11, 2022 19:24

If I remember correctly, my 2002 issues of Aftermath and Between the Buttons are in true stereo. So, what are the examples of the ‘electronically reprocessed’ ‘fake’ mixes? I have a suspicion my 1986 version of The Rolling Stones, Now! isn’t true stereo.

Date: July 11, 2022 19:28

Just stumbled across this: fascinating reading. It goes through all the genuine stereo mixes.

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Date: July 12, 2022 00:42

Also, on the connections page, if you scroll down a bit you'll find the FAQ about the 2002 ABKCO remasters, which tell you everything about them! Lucpak is on this board and he also posts on the Hoffman forum.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 18, 2022 10:46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home