Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Steel Wheels is a great Charlie Album
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 10, 2022 18:48

Not a huge fan of it. I definitely loved it when it came out, but now I put it near the bottom -- but still, definitely I'll listen to it. As for a great Charlie ablum ... Some Girls / Emotional Rescue!!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 10, 2022 19:36

jahisnotdead
I did not know they ever played Terrifying live.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 10, 2022 20:54

lem motlow
retired_dog
How some people here who loathe Steel Wheels entirely or for the most part at the same time populate the "New album for 2022?"-thread and beg for the release of new Stones music is funny to watch. How can one seriously expect that any new Stones originals could possibly surpass the material that's on Steel Wheels? Or is it just some kind of masochistic attitude?

It is interesting isn’t it. It’s as though they actually believe the Stones at this stage of the game can make an album that belongs in the catalog.
Steel wheels is a surprisingly good album when you listen to it present day.
That line about “ the production “just gets repeated over and over. It’s mixed about 50 times better than the records that followed it.
God bless them for thinking that Keith album was great, it was unlistenable.
Micks songs aren’t that good either but that’s where they are now.
Luckily even they know it.

Living in a Ghost Town is as good if not better than just about anything on Steel Wheels IMO, and gives hope that a new album could be very good.
But unfortunately, the Stones don't seem to have it in them at this late point, and for whatever reason just can't get it done.
Maybe they could spew out another Steel Wheels type pile of crap - at least they could say they finished the album.
Sad Sad Sad Pt.II....yeah that would be great...and bring back the tinny sterile '80s production values...yowza...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-10 20:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 10, 2022 21:26

Sad Sad Sad
Mixed Emotions
Fancyman Blues
Hearts for Sale
Blinded by Love
Rock and a hard place
Precious Love
Almost Hear You Sigh
Highwire
Continental Drift
Break the Spell
Slipping Away

...and you have a great album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-10 21:26 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 10, 2022 21:41

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
When Mixed Emotions came out, I bought the 45, and the CD single, and watched MTV and even heard it on the radio.

DRIVING. Charlie was DRIVING the song. The guitars are just along for the ride.

So you didn't get the cassingle...missed opportunity!

that is the only version that I bought! Still have it to this day, along with RAAHP's. The only one I didn't get back then was Almost Hear You Sigh.

Date: July 10, 2022 21:46

KRiffhard
Sad Sad Sad
Mixed Emotions
Fancyman Blues
Hearts for Sale
Blinded by Love
Rock and a hard place
Precious Love
Almost Hear You Sigh
Highwire
Continental Drift
Break the Spell
Slipping Away

I quite enjoy Cook Cook Blues and Wish I'd Never Met You as well. Their blues numbers during this time period were fantastic. And this is why I say that B&L sounds more forced to me than any of these 3 songs. They could just whip out a short blues album of all original material in the vein of these 3 numbers, about the length of B&L, and it'd be friggin stellar!!!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 10, 2022 23:30

KRiffhard
Sad Sad Sad
Mixed Emotions
Fancyman Blues
Hearts for Sale
Blinded by Love
Rock and a hard place
Precious Love
Almost Hear You Sigh
Highwire
Continental Drift
Break the Spell
Slipping Away

Wasn’t Highwire recorded a few years after the release of Steel Wheels?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 11, 2022 01:02

Hairball
lem motlow
retired_dog
How some people here who loathe Steel Wheels entirely or for the most part at the same time populate the "New album for 2022?"-thread and beg for the release of new Stones music is funny to watch. How can one seriously expect that any new Stones originals could possibly surpass the material that's on Steel Wheels? Or is it just some kind of masochistic attitude?

It is interesting isn’t it. It’s as though they actually believe the Stones at this stage of the game can make an album that belongs in the catalog.
That line about “ the production “just gets repeated over and over. It’s mixed about 50 times better than the records that followed it.

Living in a Ghost Town is as good if not better than just about anything on Steel Wheels IMO, and gives hope that a new album could be very good.
But unfortunately, the Stones don't seem to have it in them at this late point, and for whatever reason just can't get it done.
Maybe they could spew out another Steel Wheels type pile of crap - at least they could say they finished the album.
Sad Sad Sad Pt.II....yeah that would be great...and bring back the tinny sterile '80s production values...yowza...

Agree with your view on Ghost Town of at least "as good" as just about anything on Steel Wheels but not with the "if not better" part. If it gives hope that a new album could be very good, well, it's difficult and probably depends on wether one sees a glass half full or half empty, and Ghost Town is not even half of an album, it's just one track... I honestly don't know what to expect because even the weakest Stones albums had at least one or even more tracks that sounded promising whereas these albums in their entirety failed to deliver, so I'm careful with my hopes and expectations.

However, as you describe Steel Wheels as a "pile of crap", I fear that for you a major disappointment is far more likely waiting around the corner than any kind of satisfaction once the new album materializes. Just a warning...

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 11, 2022 01:15

More Hot Rocks
KRiffhard
Sad Sad Sad
Mixed Emotions
Fancyman Blues
Hearts for Sale
Blinded by Love
Rock and a hard place
Precious Love
Almost Hear You Sigh
Highwire
Continental Drift
Break the Spell
Slipping Away

Wasn’t Highwire recorded a few years after the release of Steel Wheels?

yes hit factory, london jan 1991

same time they recorded sex drive

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2022 01:26

retired_dog
Hairball
lem motlow
retired_dog

Agree with your view on Ghost Town of at least "as good" as just about anything on Steel Wheels but not with the "if not better" part. If it gives hope that a new album could be very good, well, it's difficult and probably depends on wether one sees a glass half full or half empty, and Ghost Town is not even half of an album, it's just one track... I honestly don't know what to expect because even the weakest Stones albums had at least one or even more tracks that sounded promising whereas these albums in their entirety failed to deliver, so I'm careful with my hopes and expectations.

However, as you describe Steel Wheels as a "pile of crap", I fear that for you a major disappointment is far more likely waiting around the corner than any kind of satisfaction once the new album materializes. Just a warning...

Time will tell retired_dog, or maybe not if they can't ever get it completed which seems to be the case.
From my perspective, Living in a Ghost Town along with Crosseyed Heart, and even Micks oddball experimental creativity in the last decade gives much hope for a diverse new album.
Considering how much tiume they've focused on it being a "great album", amd how many years it's been in the making, one would at least have some hope it will be a good album,
and I'm confident/hopeful it will be much better than Steel Wheels. And better than Dirty Work. And better than Bridges. And better than A Bigger Bang. And much better than the blues covers album.
Then again, there's a chance it will be another dud in a long line of duds with maybe a few listenable track and the rest a pile of crap. One can only hope not with all the time they've spent talking about it!
Again, Steel Wheels had a few nice loose ends (I mentioned previously), but the majority was inferior for the most part, especially by classic Stones standards. Not a complete pile of crap, but mostly a pile of crap.
The glass is half full from my perspective, and would hope others have at least the same hope/confidence in what the Stones can accomplish as they near the 80 yr. old mark as elder statesmen.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2022 01:32

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
When Mixed Emotions came out, I bought the 45, and the CD single, and watched MTV and even heard it on the radio.

that is the only version that I bought! Still have it to this day, along with RAAHP's. The only one I didn't get back then was Almost Hear You Sigh.

Did you get the High Wire cassingle then?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 11, 2022 02:22

wow

i just checked and the highwire/sex drive single was released the same day i was born march 4, 1991

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 11, 2022 02:45

ProfessorWolf
wow

i just checked and the highwire/sex drive single was released the same day i was born march 4, 1991

That means I’m old.

Date: July 11, 2022 04:15

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

No. Those are the only two Stones ones I have.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 11, 2022 04:16

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

I've got the Mixed Emotions and High Wire "cassingles"! First time I've heard them called that! One I'm glad I bought was Rod Stewart when his unplugged album came out. I believe it was Reason to Believe and flip side was It's All Over Now, which was not on the album. Excellent version.

Date: July 11, 2022 04:16

More Hot Rocks
ProfessorWolf
wow

That means I’m old.

Was thinking the same damn thing.

Date: July 11, 2022 04:22

RnT
DGA35
Rockman
DDD recording .... .....

Always found it a bit strange how a CD that is DDD originally can be re released as digitally remastered.

It means they redid or reworked the mastering, the last D-step of the proces. The first D though is probably why many people experience Steel Wheels as sounding sterile. It's not recorded analogue on tape.

Yes, I realize that it's remastered, but how much better can it sound from when it was originally recorded really not that long ago? Seems any remastered releases are just brickwalled with more bass. Unlike the ZZ Top re-releases which were remixed with the 80s sounding digital drums which die hard ZZ fans hate but I actually don't mind. Sounds good on the stereo played loud!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2022 05:57

DGA35
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

I've got the Mixed Emotions and High Wire "cassingles"! First time I've heard them called that! One I'm glad I bought was Rod Stewart when his unplugged album came out. I believe it was Reason to Believe and flip side was It's All Over Now, which was not on the album. Excellent version.

Those are the two I got as well. I think that's how they were advertised, at least as I remember. You couldn't buy the vinyl single in stores that I remember. Bought all of that much later on EBAY.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 11, 2022 06:44

Anyone have the SHM Flat Transfer CD? Is it better? I got the non-flat transfer and it's kind of uneven, and not special.

Date: July 11, 2022 06:45

I was trying to remember myself. I have Macca’s cassingle for Birthday from his marvelous Tripping the Live Fantastic album, and it too has a b-side not on the album and I always loved it. Can’t for the life of me now remember what it is. The cassette is packed away ins forage at the moment.

Date: July 11, 2022 06:50

Good Day Sunshine. That’s the flip side. A great song I was bummed wasn’t on the album. I just realized there’s a cd single release that also has two other tracks on it, PS Love Me Do (a mish mash of those two) and Let Em In.

For me, Tripping has always been my favorite live album and it holds a very special place in my heart. It along with Paul Simon’s Concert in the Park. That one is probably #2 all time for me.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: July 11, 2022 12:41

I love Steel Wheels. It was the first Stones album release since I became fan in the late eighties and therefore it always will be extra special to me. Now that I mention it, I've been a fan for like 33 years now and since then only 4 'real' studio albums were released.. hot smiley

I love Charlies drums on Almost Hear You Sigh and Mixed Emotions.

Date: July 11, 2022 14:58

I think Charlie is great on all their albums.

Date: July 11, 2022 15:07

ribbelchips
I love Steel Wheels. It was the first Stones album release since I became fan in the late eighties and therefore it always will be extra special to me. Now that I mention it, I've been a fan for like 33 years now and since then only 4 'real' studio albums were released.. hot smiley

I love Charlies drums on Almost Hear You Sigh and Mixed Emotions.

Ribble, same is true for me timeframe wise. And man, when you put it in context like that, it really is shocking!! Quite the about face from the first half of their existence, and really MOST of that gap has been eaten up by the current gap from ABB to whatever they may or may not release.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: July 11, 2022 19:30

sonyzzz
Steel Wheels produced not 1 but 2 incredible classics. Slipping away, and one of my all time favorites Almost hear you sigh. Pounding beat from Charlie, and the classical Guitar. Absolutely beautiful, it sounds better in 2022...

I agree. And I believe Mixed Emotions was the last clean, flowing, non-stop riff Keef came up with. I never liked the lyrics, though.

It was a huge deal at the time, and it was indeed a great comeback. Focused album.

Rock and a Hard Place was made to impress, crafted.

But when was the last time they put out this many singles off of an album? Five singles (Mixed, Rock and a, Terrifying, Sad Sad Sad, Almost Hear). That says it all. Slipping Away could have been a good one too. Nice B-sides (Fancyman, Cook Cook), Wish I'd Never Met You is a favourite of mine. I do find myself spinning it more and more often. I am quite fond of Almost Hear You Sigh. I LOVE the version from Wembley!

You might not like it, and it's not their best, but it's fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-11 19:33 by frenki09.

Posted by: Martijnstone ()
Date: July 11, 2022 20:34

Love Charlie's drums @ Almost hear you sigh

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 11, 2022 20:38

VoodooLounge13
Good Day Sunshine. That’s the flip side. A great song I was bummed wasn’t on the album. I just realized there’s a cd single release that also has two other tracks on it, PS Love Me Do (a mish mash of those two) and Let Em In.

For me, Tripping has always been my favorite live album and it holds a very special place in my heart. It along with Paul Simon’s Concert in the Park. That one is probably #2 all time for me.

I second that. For some reason I especially like the "Flowers in the Dirt" numbers in it.

As for "Steel Wheels" being a great Charlie album, the first seconds of "Almost Hear You Sigh" are enough to qualify it as such!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2022 22:52

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Uh... crap. I don't think so.

I mentioned seeing it on MTV because, for me, it was a rarity. And the radio was only for a couple weeks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-12 00:00 by GasLightStreet.

Date: July 11, 2022 23:49

Man I wish Your Precious Love was on the album or at least a B side. One of my favourite Stones ballads.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 12, 2022 00:01

Cook Cook Blues is from the UNDERCOVER sessions.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home