Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Trebly, Hollow Live Sound?
Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: July 8, 2022 16:40

So I was listening to "Going To A Go Go" from 2002 Wiltern and 1981's
Still Life' performances and there's quite a disparity in sound.

The 80's performance is so much richer and fuller where as the Wiltern and sound of live shows dating back to the 90's seem trebly with no depth or bass present. Why is that? Very disappointing. The sound of the recent El Macombo is perhaps the best sound I've ever heard from them so why downhill from the late 70's?

Steve

Re: Trebly, Hollow Live Sound?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 8, 2022 16:52

It's not the sound really - they peaked in the late seventies that's why. Stage sound has improved since the seventies of course - so you can't blame that.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 9, 2022 10:06

sbetz

The 80's performance is so much richer and fuller where as the Wiltern and sound of live shows dating back to the 90's seem trebly with no depth or bass present. Why is that? Very disappointing. The sound of the recent El Macombo is perhaps the best sound I've ever heard from them so why downhill from the late 70's?

Steve

There hasn't been bass present since Wyman walked away. At least not on the level you'd expect from the Rolling Stones. They always replaced their guitarists with someone of high caliber. They didn't replace their bass player with anyone near Bill's artistry. So Charlie picked him, big deal. It never has worked. It has never enhanced the music, or even helped to recreate what was.

Posted by: KeVvV2011 ()
Date: July 9, 2022 10:54

Well are you referring to their live sound or to the way these releases are mixed? I agree that since Wyman's departure the bass has become less prominent, but it's also really magnified by the crappy Sam Wheat mixes we have been getting lately. For example, if you listen to the live tracks on Honk, which Clearmountain handled, they already sound way better and less tinny.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: July 9, 2022 11:04

24FPS
sbetz

Steve

There hasn't been bass present since Wyman walked away. At least not on the level you'd expect from the Rolling Stones. They always replaced their guitarists with someone of high caliber. They didn't replace their bass player with anyone near Bill's artistry. So Charlie picked him, big deal. It never has worked. It has never enhanced the music, or even helped to recreate what was.

Your answer is a bit off topic. What has the way the bass player plays to do with the fact if the bass is present in the mix of a release or not. Nothing, I'd say...

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: July 9, 2022 11:17

Analogue tape recording vs still relative early digital recording might have made a difference

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 9, 2022 11:51

Ampeg and then Mesa Boogies compared to latter day Twin Reverbs, Vibrolux and Ohahu amps...?

I personally love the 02-03 "FENDER DRENCHED" sound from Keith. The Navarro handled live sound of 05/06/07 was less interesting for me.

Can't have too much twang!!!!! smileys with beer

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 9, 2022 12:23

MadMax
Ampeg and then Mesa Boogies compared to latter day Twin Reverbs, Vibrolux and Ohahu amps...?

I personally love the 02-03 "FENDER DRENCHED" sound from Keith. The Navarro handled live sound of 05/06/07 was less interesting for me.

Can't have too much twang!!!!! smileys with beer
Yes, the main difference here in sound (and what I think the thread creator refers to) is the guitar amps. I love the old Ampeg and Mesa Boogie amps as well as the "new" Fender amps. Just a matter of taste. I wouldn't call the Fender amps "Trebly, Hollow" though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-09 12:24 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 9, 2022 12:26

Also keep in mind that Wiltern is mixed by Sam Wheat so it might sound inferiour to any recording you compare it to (especially those mixed by Clearmountain).

(Although the Wiltern mix is actually quite decent compared to other Wheat mixes).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home