Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Amsterdam The Netherlands 07-July-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 8, 2022 21:06

Andreas Terlaak

Andreas Terlaak

Andreas Terlaak

Re: Amsterdam The Netherlands 07-July-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: robv ()
Date: July 8, 2022 21:08

jjflash73
So, I will defend Ronnie with a new thought. I am fighting cancer as well and I have IV treatments every 21 days and I take pills everyday. Somedays you seem good and some days are foggy. Typically after an IV infusion, fatigue and a general fog can set in. I don't know if this is in fact a cause but give the cancer fighting man a positive prayer.

Tom in NC
Thanks for sharing this, Tom. It makes me understand Ronnie's fog a bit better. Love and peace.

Re: Amsterdam The Netherlands 07-July-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 8, 2022 21:21

Baffling what some people are hearing...or not hearing in these shows.

This tour Ronnie has been on point. If people are sensing him being "off" because he's calmer and really focused on creating some truly thoughtful and purposeful solos as opposed to the frantic and wild puppy dog stuff he was doing in the last 5 legs, that is a shame. I'm hearing a very focused and careful Ronnie try to give us some soulful lead work.

And as someone mentioned, he really does make it a point to give something different in each lead part. People here want him to rehearse a solo?? Gimme a break. He wants to create something new on the spot. If it comes out weird and wonky--oh well. That's rock and roll--that's life. The point is that he was fully present in that exact moment and gave us what came to him at that very second. What a gift! And ya'll want him to not do that and give us prepared cliche licks and runs that he can whip out from his backpocket from show to show? No thanks.

The "Start Me Up" solo has always been his playground. It's a throwaway solo and frankly not a fun solo to play. It's not really a song that really needs a guitar solo so it's kind of awkward anyway.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 8, 2022 21:29

perkmo
Christiaan
Can’t You Hear Me Knocking?
[youtu.be]
That is awesome

Thank you

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 8, 2022 21:30

angee
perkmo
Christiaan
Can’t You Hear Me Knocking?
[youtu.be]
That is awesome

X2 cool smiley

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Pearl66 ()
Date: July 8, 2022 21:31

We really enjoyed the evening and songs but also experienced terrible sound (block 119, row 30, seating area right to the stage). Sometimes I really had a hard time to understand what Mick was saying or singing because the sound was echoing (not sure if rightly described). Did others experience this as well? In Brussel we will be seated in front of the stage, hopefully that will differ in terms of sound.

Date: July 8, 2022 21:46

Dimitri Hakke

Dimitri Hakke

Dimitri Hakke

Dimitri Hakke

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: July 8, 2022 21:50

Yes, we also experienced an awfull sound. We were standing at the end of the field. Most of the time I had no clue what Mick was saying, I couldn't hear a word. Also the more heavy guitar songs like Start me Up! and Jumping Jack Flash sounded disturbed and overblown. Probably not realy good English, but you get what I mean.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 8, 2022 21:56

Justin

This tour Ronnie has been on point. If people are sensing him being "off" because he's calmer and really focused on creating some truly thoughtful and purposeful solos as opposed to the frantic and wild puppy dog stuff he was doing in the last 5 legs, that is a shame. I'm hearing a very focused and careful Ronnie try to give us some soulful lead work.

And as someone mentioned, he really does make it a point to give something different in each lead part. People here want him to rehearse a solo?? Gimme a break. He wants to create something new on the spot. If it comes out weird and wonky--oh well. That's rock and roll--that's life. The point is that he was fully present in that exact moment and gave us what came to him at that very second. What a gift! And ya'll want him to not do that and give us prepared cliche licks and runs that he can whip out from his backpocket from show to show? No thanks.

The "Start Me Up" solo has always been his playground. It's a throwaway solo and frankly not a fun solo to play. It's not really a song that really needs a guitar solo so it's kind of awkward anyway.

Agreed, many people here who just seem to lack understanding and knowledge of different styles of guitar playing. Ronnie has a unique style and approach, and it may not suit everyones taste, but his playing has definitely never been "terrible" or "crap".

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 8, 2022 22:02

Justin

As always, criticism is always retroactive to say it's better today, I don't see any criticism of Ronnie and others Stones in any review during the previous tours!

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-08 22:24 by powerage78.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 8, 2022 22:05

Totally agree, Justin and TheBlockbuster, as for Ronnie.
My thoughts, too...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 8, 2022 22:07

Lots of mixed reactions and impressions about Ronnie from those who were actually there.
Goes to show that music and art are subjective, and what is good or bad is in the eye of the beholder, but some of the opinions here are night and day and extreme opposites.

From "something terribly wrong", "didn't have a clue", and "his playing was just awful yesterday" to "Ronnie was really good yesterday", and "this tour Ronnie has been on point"....

I thought he was great when I saw him in 2021 and also 2019 (probably more focused than he's ever been in fact), so it's hard to imagine he's actually declined as much as some here are saying.
Considering all he's been though in recent years with his illness (as well as many years of drinking and drugs), I hope he's doing well, and continues to do well - no matter how good or bad his playing might be.

Go Ronnie go...thumbs up

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 8, 2022 22:08

jjflash73
So, I will defend Ronnie with a new thought. I am fighting cancer as well and I have IV treatments every 21 days and I take pills everyday. Somedays you seem good and some days are foggy. Typically after an IV infusion, fatigue and a general fog can set in. I don't know if this is in fact a cause but give the cancer fighting man a positive prayer.

Tom in NC

I feel bad now, i thought Ronnie got the all clear before the tour last year, haven't heard that he was receiving treatment.

Sorry to hear about your fight , my heart goes out to you, Ronnie gets a free pass as far as i'm concerned from now on. Good luck Tom, love and prayers, take care mate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-08 22:11 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 8, 2022 22:27

Date: July 8, 2022 22:37

Great moment
Great picture

Posted by: Pearl66 ()
Date: July 8, 2022 22:42

I totally get what you are saying. Same experience!

Date: July 8, 2022 22:43

That is the most beautiful moment captured on film of the glimmers i have ever seen.

Date: July 8, 2022 23:00

Sorry i was well out of order last night, i think its because i still feel for Mick Taylor and the unjust treatment he had and also because when Keith came back a couple months after craniectomy surgery to relieve a bleeding brain , the savages on iorr were merciless in their criticism of him playing, especially the next year when Keith's wife was fighting extensive cancer in 2007 and his mother died, it effected him and i think he drank heavily on the 2007 tour and posters on iorr bashed him all over, i never forget and yesterday i thought well why can't i criticize Ronnie, i'm not that horrible person deep down, but i never could understand the hatred towards Keith back then, do any of you remember it.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: July 8, 2022 23:07

[www.volkskrant.nl]

4* review @Volkskrant

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: July 8, 2022 23:15

ProfessorWolf
my thoughts on ronnie

td and smu sounded terrible that's not new i can only think of a handful of solos from those songs he's done in the last ten years that were any good

the rest of the show he was fine not his best but he's allowed an off night every now and then with what he's been thru

and what hell is with the casual way we bring up the idea (and i'm not entirely innocent of this myself) of ronnie stepping down and being replaced

many of us understandably lost our collective sh-t when when charlie died and steve replaced him

but when ever the same idea is floated of replacing ronnie there's no endless chant of no ronnie no stones

seriously he's stood on that side of the stage for nearly half a century

decades longer then taylor or jones that doesn't garner him a similar level of respect that we give to charlie?

it's a reasonable conclusion to reach that without him the rolling stones would have broken up decades ago

and yet many of us seem to still view him as little more then a hired gun who could and should be casually replaced when he can no longer play a solo right that he could never play well to begin with

and that's not to say that if for whatever reason ronnie had to step down and they found a replacement that he approved of that i wouldn't support it

i would

but at least give that idea the seriousness and weight that it and ronnie deserves

now one final thought for people criticizing him for not be as energetic and fun onstage

put yourself in his place for a minute

your pushing 80

you've just recently been thru 2 bouts with very serious lung cancer that is very likely to return and you likely will not survive

you have two little girl that you know you won't be able to see grow up and that will have to live with losing there father at a young age

on top of all this you've recently lost a band member and friend of nearly 50 years

now with this loss and and thoughts of your pending mortality weighing heavily on your mind

gather your strength to go onstage and play the lovable clown and guitar for a stadium of people for 2 hours

repeat a dozen times over two months

good luck

One of the best posts of the thread, well said indeed!!!!!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 8, 2022 23:36

keefriffhards
Keith's wife was fighting extensive cancer in 2007 and his mother died, it effected him and i think he drank heavily on the 2007 tour and posters on iorr bashed him all over, i never could understand the hatred towards Keith back then, do any of you remember it.

Yes, I remember it. I saw the Oslo show. Keith was strirkingly little into it back then compared to now.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 8, 2022 23:39

daspyknows
keefriffhards
EasterMan
I look at Ronnie's solos as if he's creating a small piece of art every time. He always comes up with something new and interesting even if it's not always great. He could play the same well rehearsed note for note solo every night if he wanted to, but that's not his style. Go and listen to Kiss if you want that kind of playing.

Id normally agree with that, you know trying something different and creating art, but what he's doing now isn't the equivalent of modern art, it's just crap and belongs in the skip.
First, were you there? If so, stop going. If not then you are making your observation from watchibg a phone. If it sucks that bad going follow a band that you find inspiring. I thought it was good last night and ready for Brussels. Hopefully won't be the last time for me.
I think the usual claim that you cannot evaluate a performance via a mobile phone recording is just dead wrong. I read it here in every concert thread but that just doesn't make it right. These days the whole sound and especially the guitars are so loud in concert that you cannot really notice the details in their playing. You surely always get a great show, even if Keith's and Ronnie's playing had faded a lot. There are just so many other great things that make up for it. The whole experience of seing them alone makes uo for it. But because of that - I would even say - you cannot judge a performance as good when you are there as you can from a phone recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-08 23:44 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 8, 2022 23:52

Green Lady
Lady Jayne
Some great photos by BV on the review page. I am loving all of Ronnie's t shirts last night!

Green Lady
I hope somebody got a picture of Mick resting his weary head on Keith's shoulder just then.

Well done bv: it's there.

Good and clear; Bjornulf wouldn't miss this one.

Date: July 9, 2022 00:55

noughties
keefriffhards
Keith's wife was fighting extensive cancer in 2007 and his mother died, it effected him and i think he drank heavily on the 2007 tour and posters on iorr bashed him all over, i never could understand the hatred towards Keith back then, do any of you remember it.

Yes, I remember it. I saw the Oslo show. Keith was strirkingly little into it back then compared to now.

Keith did great in Copenhagen and Oslo, after the poor Helsinki-show and the infamous Swedish review.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 9, 2022 01:05

DandelionPowderman
noughties
keefriffhards

Keith did great in Copenhagen and Oslo, after the poor Helsinki-show and the infamous Swedish review.

I think the Scandinavian shows were great, it seemed like Swedish newspapers had already decided to give poor reviews before the show even started.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home