Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thoughtful article re ticketing prompted by Stones Hyde Park gigs
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 6, 2022 14:00

Writer makes some interesting points -do you agree?

[www.newstatesman.com]

Re: Thoughtful article re ticketing prompted by Stones Hyde Park gigs
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 6, 2022 14:06

Sure, but that isn't something that started yesterday. Promoters always have squeezed everything possible out of ticket prices. Actually Hyde Park was one of the cheapest gigs where you could get to first row with a 250 pounds GC ticket.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 6, 2022 14:32

johnnythunders
Writer makes some interesting points -do you agree?

[www.newstatesman.com]

Excellent article and thank you very much for sharing. She hits the nail square on the head with this. In a short and hard hitting article, she has summarised everything that's gone wrong with live music. Imho. "The VIP Gold Circle System means that the most enthusiastic fans aren't necessarily anywhere near the stage". Unfortunately I think the genie's out the bottle. Acts know they can make more money this way so it's probably here to stay.

And even if you are lucky enough to be in Gold Circle/Pit, after a day of queueing you usually race in to find that there's a row of people in already who've paid extra for early entry a bag of tat.

Date: July 6, 2022 14:52

StonedRambler
Sure, but that isn't something that started yesterday. Promoters always have squeezed everything possible out of ticket prices. Actually Hyde Park was one of the cheapest gigs where you could get to first row with a 250 pounds GC ticket.

Still way too much for what it was, Imho. GC was huge in Hyde Park. I was there for the 1st show and got my ticket for just over half price. I wouldn't have paid any more than that. I missed the 2nd due to COVID. I'm lucky dipping all other shows I'm attending. The best GA spots were a long way back in Hyde park. You were basically paying 100 quid to watch a big telly.

Still, it's the way of the modern concert experience and I can't see it changing back again. It's all been OTT corporatised, pricing many fans out.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: July 6, 2022 15:20

Agree, for me the main reason to not going to concerts anymore. In the past the biggest fans were in front of the stage. Nowadays those with the biggest wallets. Along with other big wallets, cause you don't want to stand next to the plebs of course...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 6, 2022 16:14

The BST events bill themselves as a festival, but they don't follow the classic festival ticketing style, where no matter how much extra you pay for posh accommodation, better toilets or fancy bars, access to the front rail can't be bought, but has to be worked for. Maybe this is because they each feature an overwhelmingly popular headline act, whose fans will dominate the crowd: there will not be so much of the coming and going between different acts and multiple stages that you get in other places, and fans of headliners who are used to paying for the front row in theatres and stadiums can easily be sold the various pay-for-access packages.

At the 2013 Hyde Park events there were two ways to get to the rail: either by an old-style early race to the front from GA on one side of the stage, or by paying your way there on the other. This time, either you paid up or you didn't get there. I notice at least one complaint earlier that the Gold Circle was huge, and having already paid the premium, you still had to compete!

I don't know how much control the Stones have over the BST ticketing model. I think their introduction of the brilliant Lucky Dip system at their own shows came about when they realised that having mostly the older, wealthier people nearest the stage meant that there wasn't quite so much enthusiasm at the front - and the Stones are very.much a band whose performance feeds off crowd enthusiasm. But there was no Lucky Dip at Hyde Park.

You'll have guessed by now that I don't much like the Gold Circle idea at what is supposed to be a festival. But it isn't going away,

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 6, 2022 16:37

Interesting that back in 2013 Mick seemingly demanded that it was possible for GA to get near the stage. Didn't they change the areas in almost last minute or so (caused some heat here I recall). He seemingly wasn't pleased with the lame FOS audiences during the previous US arena tour and wanted to make sure that he will perform to enthusiastic crowd in Hyde Park.

Are the people with big wallets more wild these days or does he not care any longer...

- Doxa

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: July 6, 2022 16:38

Whilst I preferred the configuration at Hyde park 2013, my GA experience at hp2 this year was fine for 100 quid. Dead centre, about 10 rows back from golden circle was a good spot. I got there about 4pm, admittedly was on my own so easy enough to find a space. Probably better value than the £110 I paid to be in the gods about 3/4 back at Anfield. That said, I’m dipping in Belgium
No real moaning from me tho, 3 gigs for just over 250 quid ticket outlay

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 6, 2022 16:55

The Diamond Pit area was quite large, certainly bigger than the pit concept we've been used to from No Filter tours. Not so exclusive, in other words. At Hyde Park 2 I arrived about 18:00 and found a good spot not too far from the catwalk and stage. At this point, many people were relaxing in comfortable chairs, drinking champagne in the VIP Summer Garden or whatever it's called. Around 19:30 it started to get packed. A couple of ladies complained I was too tall. What do they want me to do? Minimize myself? My height is not my fault. A group in front of me told everyone they had been there since 1PM and thus expected to get their place back if they went to the toilet or whatever, but that can be a bit difficult when you're 15 metres from stage and it's just 30 minutes before showtime. They were bit angry towards a spanish speaking guy who "stole" their personal space that they had been reserving since 1PM.

This is the problem with the Diamond Pit VIP concept. The promoters present it as something luxurious and relaxing. This attract a lot of people who don't normally attend concerts and they expect space and comfort close to stage, and get annoyed when they experience a tight, packed crowd.

Date: July 6, 2022 17:12

The Worst.
The Diamond Pit area was quite large, certainly bigger than the pit concept we've been used to from No Filter tours. Not so exclusive, in other words. At Hyde Park 2 I arrived about 18:00 and found a good spot not too far from the catwalk and stage. At this point, many people were relaxing in comfortable chairs, drinking champagne in the VIP Summer Garden or whatever it's called. Around 19:30 it started to get packed. A couple of ladies complained I was too tall. What do they want me to do? Minimize myself? My height is not my fault. A group in front of me told everyone they had been there since 1PM and thus expected to get their place back if they went to the toilet or whatever, but that can be a bit difficult when you're 15 metres from stage and it's just 30 minutes before showtime. They were bit angry towards a spanish speaking guy who "stole" their personal space that they had been reserving since 1PM.

This is the problem with the Diamond Pit VIP concept. The promoters present it as something luxurious and relaxing. This attract a lot of people who don't normally attend concerts and they expect space and comfort close to stage, and get annoyed when they experience a tight, packed crowd.

That is quite right and I remember the group who were complaining and becoming heated about their 'space' being taken in front of you.

Date: July 6, 2022 17:28

The Worst.

It is indeed a problem. Within the confines of GC or Pit, the same rules apply as in GA. It's first come first served and you leave a space at the risk of losing your spot. Some people have a ridiculous sense of entitlement. I ran in and grabbed my spot on the rail on Ronnie's side when the gates opened at show 1 and stayed there throughout, with no loo trips. Had I been forced to make any then my chances of regaining my spot on my return were slim.

At a U2 concert at the O2 in 2018, I saw a chap leave with the band on stage right in front of us then return with a full carrier of drinks, trying to squash his way through the crowd back to his group, whilst holding the 4/5 drinks above his head. What a pillock!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-06 18:25 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 6, 2022 17:31

The blame is not on The Stones, the blame is from who sell those tickets (and packages) and of course, who buy them!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 6, 2022 22:54

Who would have ever guessed concerts, especially by legacy acts, are a strictly commercial endeavor?

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 7, 2022 12:03

This article absolutely nails it! The gold circle at Hyde Park was enormous. It didn't even get anywhere near the long catwalk.

I've been to seated gigs in the past at stadiums which for some reason the Stones introduced in the 2000's. These gigs were the least favorite of the gigs I have been to because the audience nearer the front were very subdued.

By and large, it is the older generation who have significantly more money. Nothing wrong with that in principle, but looking on from the front of GA I noticed a stark difference in the energy levels within GA compared to gold circle. I was at the front of GA waiting for hours watching people in GA come and go all the time and seemingly disinterested in the Stones, let alone the support acts. I'm sure it was a different story at the front of gold circle.

But this is not a new phenomenon. Gold circles or similar have been around for a long time. And in any case, anything is better than having seating on the pitch because that simply saps all the energy. So on balance I'd rather have GC than seats.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 7, 2022 16:58

Doxa
Interesting that back in 2013 Mick seemingly demanded that it was possible for GA to get near the stage. Didn't they change the areas in almost last minute or so (caused some heat here I recall). He seemingly wasn't pleased with the lame FOS audiences during the previous US arena tour and wanted to make sure that he will perform to enthusiastic crowd in Hyde Park.

Are the people with big wallets more wild these days or does he not care any longer...

- Doxa

Perhaps it was to do with nostalgia for the circumstances of the original Hyde Park show. I've never experienced a setup like that anywhere else.

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: July 7, 2022 18:28

much ado about nothing. money talks always has and always will.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 7, 2022 18:50

Doxa

- Doxa

Yes, the original plan was not to have any Tier 1 or Tier 2, (as they were called at those shows), ticket holders at the front. I assume this was because the shows were being filmed for DVD release and the band wanted to guarantee an enthusiastic crowd at the front. There was a compromise later largely due to the fuss made here on this site I would suspect.

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: July 7, 2022 19:19

The Band is doing great playing big places to keep ticket prices low.

I can't agree with someone who says £95.75 is "heavy" in 2022.

Go back to 2013 last Hyde park was $117 in 2013

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

Don't forget about $1,500 Tongue Pit's in 2013

Date: July 7, 2022 19:22

Hyde Park GA was £95 flat in 2013. Not really fair to say it went up but it did

Date: July 7, 2022 19:24

artedm
The Band is doing great playing big places to keep ticket prices low.

I can't agree with someone who says £95.75 is "heavy" in 2022.

Go back to 2013 last Hyde park was $117 in 2013

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

Don't forget about $1,500 Tongue Pit's in 2013

You're not comparing like with like. in 2013, a £105 ticket could get you right to the front on Ronnie's side whereas that £95.75 ticket in 2022 got you nowhere near the stage even best case scenario.

Date: July 7, 2022 19:26

right that part i forgot even though that's what the thread is about

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 7, 2022 19:39

The other thing, of course. is that it's no good queueing up all night these days. You won't be allowed in until an hour after the people who have paid extra to be ahead of you.

Date: July 7, 2022 19:41

The Rolling Stones concert in Hyde Park sold out in five minutes, despite fan concerns over ticket prices. The 65,000 tickets went within minutes of being put on general release . AEG Live promoter Rob Hallett said the response had been incredible. He said: "We sold 65,000 tickets in the speed the system could handle it. If the system could handle it in seconds, we would have probably sold out in seconds."

Another interesting line:
Tickets cost £95, although there were hospitality packages at up to £299, but Hallett said basic ticket-holders would not lose out. He said: "The band wanted the regular ticket-holders to be right at the front of the stage staring at the whites of their eyes, not 200 yards away.

[www.theguardian.com]

also from 2013
Fans Rage At $500 Standing Price For Rockers' London Gig
Standing-room tickets at the front of the Hyde Park venue in London are going for £330 (just over $500)
[www.huffpost.com]

Still The Band is doing great playing big places to keep ticket prices low.

£95 in 2013- £95.75 in 2022

Date: July 7, 2022 20:04

artedm
The Rolling Stones concert in Hyde Park sold out in five minutes, despite fan concerns over ticket prices. The 65,000 tickets went within minutes of being put on general release . AEG Live promoter Rob Hallett said the response had been incredible. He said: "We sold 65,000 tickets in the speed the system could handle it. If the system could handle it in seconds, we would have probably sold out in seconds."

Another interesting line:
Tickets cost £95, although there were hospitality packages at up to £299, but Hallett said basic ticket-holders would not lose out. He said: "The band wanted the regular ticket-holders to be right at the front of the stage staring at the whites of their eyes, not 200 yards away.

[www.theguardian.com]

also from 2013
Fans Rage At $500 Standing Price For Rockers' London Gig
Standing-room tickets at the front of the Hyde Park venue in London are going for £330 (just over $500)
[www.huffpost.com]

Still The Band is doing great playing big places to keep ticket prices low.

£95 in 2013- £95.75 in 2022

I again repeat that you are 100% certainly not comparing like with like. 2013 could get you front of stage if you turned up early. The best £95.75 views in 2022 were poor and a long way away from the stage. Gold Circle was huge in Hyde Park.

The 1st show in 2013 sold out. The 2nd didn't quite. GA tickets were available right up to show day. I was at them both. This year it was the other way round. 2nd show sold out, 1st was easy to get tickets for. I got a GC on a secondary site for just over half price. I would not have bought a standard GA if I didn't get my cheap GC.

Don't always believe what promoters say - it's just marketing.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2022 20:09

Manofwealthandtaste
The Worst.

That is quite right and I remember the group who were complaining and becoming heated about their 'space' being taken in front of you.

There were some real obnoxious types there at HP2. I had a woman position her rucksack right at the back of my legs to prevent me from moving so for about an hour I stood there like a scarecrow barely able to move - until I flipped and told her to back off.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2022 20:10

The Diamond 'Pit' area wasn't much of a pit at all, compared to the London Stadium. And for the £380 ticket price I expected a lot more. It was exactly the same area that for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers just 5 years ago cost me £160. That's some mark up.

Date: July 7, 2022 20:14

Hi Gregor
I understand your point
hopefully we can agree:
in 2013 show had 65,000 people
in 2022 had 65,000 people
Someone paid £95 to be in the very back in 2013 and in 2022 someone paid £95 to be in the very back.
No price increased.

Date: July 7, 2022 20:18

still somewhat amused about the spanish speaking gentleman wo got miffed when folks didn't quite respect him exercising his right of working his way upfront

Date: July 7, 2022 20:22

artedm
Hi Gregor
I understand your point
hopefully we can agree:
in 2013 show had 65,000 people
in 2022 had 65,000 people
Someone paid £95 to be in the very back in 2013 and in 2022 someone paid £95 to be in the very back.
No price increased.

All true. But in 2013 you could CHOOSE to be at the very front for £95. In 2022 the same choice was not available for £95 due to the ridiculously large size of the £250 GC. If £95 2022 GA was my only choice I would have stayed outside and listened for nothing.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 7, 2022 20:24

Silver Dagger
Manofwealthandtaste
The Worst.

There were some real obnoxious types there at HP2. I had a woman position her rucksack right at the back of my legs to prevent me from moving so for about an hour I stood there like a scarecrow barely able to move - until I flipped and told her to back off.

Haha, I think I saw that. I wondered what all the fuzz was about. It looked like she was angry for no reason at all.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home