Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Is that it with the deluxe reissues?
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 8, 2022 15:13

I think EmotionalRescue is not one of their classic albums because of songs like Indian Girl, Send it to Me and Dance.But Let Me Go and she’s So Cold are classics. Too bad songs like Heaven, were left off

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2022 16:56

Taylor1
I think EmotionalRescue is not one of their classic albums because of songs like Indian Girl, Send it to Me and Dance.But Let Me Go and she’s So Cold are classics. Too bad songs like Heaven, were left off

Well you can say that for a lot of otherwise well thought of albums, a couple of duds. And as far as Dance is concerned, that's classic. I personally like the other cuts, Indian Girl's a little weak but I don't mind it either.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 8, 2022 19:52

Taylor1
How about Down in The Hole . Talk about some blues ? Summer Romance - nice rocker .

Date: July 8, 2022 19:54

I forgot about the Keith gem - All About You ? How about Send it to Me ?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 8, 2022 23:44

Indian Girl is a wonderful song with great lyrics that speak to their time. It does appear to be mystifyingly polarizing, like some people with Miss You.

Date: July 9, 2022 01:34

TheGreek
Taylor1
How about Down in The Hole . Talk about some blues ? Summer Romance - nice rocker .

Down in the Hole is absolutely fantastic. Love that track. The "Slave" of Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 9, 2022 02:10

Indian Girl, Send it to Me, and the title track from ER might actually rank at the bottom of the barrel with their very worst imo- including every terrible tune from the latter era such as Streets of Love, Infamy,
Anybody Seen My Baby, Don't Stop, Sweet Neo Con,etc., etc., etc. But for every terrible tune on ER, there's some absolutely classic Stonesy tunes that make the album a keeper, and indeed one of the last great classics.
Tunes such as Down in the Hole, Summer Romance, Dance, Let Me Go, She's so Cold...if they were to release an album with anything as classy as these tunes today, it would be considered a masterpiece!

But instead of trying give the "deluxe" treatment to any more particular albums, maybe they should just do some releases made up entirely of unreleased material - similar to the fantastic "Fully Finished Outtakes"...
It was 3 cd's of mostly greatness, and surely there's more of that kind of stuff given they've got 60 years under their belt. Either that, or release the new album they've been mumbling about for quite a few years now.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 9, 2022 04:30

Ah but not 60 years of recording.

Big difference.

Date: July 9, 2022 04:45

Hairball
Indian Girl, Send it to Me, and the title track from ER might actually rank at the bottom of the barrel with their very worst imo- including every terrible tune from the latter era such as Streets of Love, Infamy,
Anybody Seen My Baby, Don't Stop, Sweet Neo Con,etc., etc., etc. But for every terrible tune on ER, there's some absolutely classic Stonesy tunes that make the album a keeper, and indeed one of the last great classics.
Tunes such as Down in the Hole, Summer Romance, Dance, Let Me Go, She's so Cold...if they were to release an album with anything as classy as these tunes today, it would be considered a masterpiece!

But instead of trying give the "deluxe" treatment to any more particular albums, maybe they should just do some releases made up entirely of unreleased material - similar to the fantastic "Fully Finished Outtakes"...
It was 3 cd's of mostly greatness, and surely there's more of that kind of stuff given they've got 60 years under their belt. Either that, or release the new album they've been mumbling about for quite a few years now.
I love Anybody Seen My Baby.Great song , great musicianship. Also like the video

Date: July 9, 2022 09:56

Taylor1
Hairball

I love Anybody Seen My Baby.Great song , great musicianship. Also like the video

Darryl didn't play on the studio version of Anybody Seen My Baby. (Jamie Muhoberec plays bass and keyboards on the track.) Darryl tried to play the part on the BTB tour and failed miserably. So it's not just Bill Wyman he can't pull off either.

Of course when you hear K.D. Lang's Constant Craving you understand where they got the melody.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 9, 2022 15:26

24FPS
Taylor1
Hairball

Darryl didn't play on the studio version of Anybody Seen My Baby. (Jamie Muhoberec plays bass and keyboards on the track.) Darryl tried to play the part on the BTB tour and failed miserably. So it's not just Bill Wyman he can't pull off either.

Of course when you hear K.D. Lang's Constant Craving you understand where they got the melody.

I must be tone deaf or something, because I’ve never understood the comparison between Constant Craving and ASMB. I’ve even tried singing CC over it and it doesn’t fit. To me, they’re two completely different songs. But what do I know!?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-09 23:53 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: July 10, 2022 02:31

VoodooLounge13
24FPS
Taylor1
Hairball

I must be tone deaf or something, because I’ve never understood the comparison between Constant Craving and ASMB. I’ve even tried singing CC over it and it doesn’t fit. To me, they’re two completely different songs. But what do I know!?!

The chorus's are quite similar. Didn't Keith's daughter alert them to the fact that they were 'the same'?

Date: July 10, 2022 02:42

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
Taylor1
Hairball

The chorus's are quite similar. Didn't Keith's daughter alert them to the fact that they were 'the same'?

That's the story. Both Mick & Keith claim to have never heard the song previously. K.D. Lang and Ben Mink were added to the song credits.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 10, 2022 04:19

24FPS
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
Taylor1
Hairball

That's the story. Both Mick & Keith claim to have never heard the song previously. K.D. Lang and Ben Mink were added to the song credits.

keith said something to the effect that mick heard it in a club or something and subconsciously stoled it without intending to

i vaguely recall k.d. lang being rather flattered by the whole thing

but i could be remembering that wrong

Date: July 10, 2022 04:58

24FPS
Taylor1
Hairball

I really don’t hear that. Did John Lennon give credit for Yer Bluesto Heartbreak Hotel?Or Beethoven for Because? There are many Songs that sound like Stones songs.Maybe somebody here who knows how to read music could explain to me how the notes or chords are the same because I don’t hear it.IORR sounds more like Bang the Gong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-10 05:00 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 10, 2022 05:09

The similarities between K.D. Lang's tune and Anybody Seen My Baby seems clear as day to me, and evidently it did to Mick and Keith once they became aware of the tune.
The Stones don't just hand out credits for charity sake, they did it to avoid a costly and embarrassing lawsuit.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 10, 2022 07:41

Hairball
The similarities between K.D. Lang's tune and Anybody Seen My Baby seems clear as day to me, and evidently it did to Mick and Keith once they became aware of the tune.
The Stones don't just hand out credits for charity sake, they did it to avoid a costly and embarrassing lawsuit.

YEP!

The same people that say 'you can't tell how bad they performed from a phone recording' when, duh... you can HEAR the music anyway.

ASMB's chorus IS Constant Craving. How one can't hear that... they will get run over by the train, I guess.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 10, 2022 15:26

There are similarities but it's not a blatant rip-off, just like the Ghost Town controversy. In fact at the time Mick said that the similarities could have been fixed by changing the voicing but that they were short on time and Lang and Mink were happy with the arrangement that was offered.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: July 10, 2022 17:22

What about IORR and Bang the Gong? Please Please Me and Hey Baby?Song Sung Blueand Mozart’s 21st piano concerto,Yer Blues and Heartbreak Hotel,Beatles Because and Beethovens Moonlight Sonata, Eric Carmen and Rachmaninoff,Sweet Virginia and Tonight’s the Night,etc.,
Constant Craving got its melody from…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-10 20:09 by Taylor1.

Date: July 11, 2022 01:45

I've been thinking more about Black and Blue, especially since watching the guy's (sorry I don't know his name) excellent documentaries on the making of it. (Along with other albums). There must be some incredible songs among all those auditions. Wayne Perkins was amazing, but too American looking. But there must be other songs he did. Beck. Mick Ronson, and the list goes on. There could be a double bonus disc on that one. It would help make up for the few tracks on the actual album.

Date: July 11, 2022 03:44

24FPS
I've been thinking more about Black and Blue, especially since watching the guy's (sorry I don't know his name) excellent documentaries on the making of it. (Along with other albums). There must be some incredible songs among all those auditions. Wayne Perkins was amazing, but too American looking. But there must be other songs he did. Beck. Mick Ronson, and the list goes on. There could be a double bonus disc on that one. It would help make up for the few tracks on the actual album.
Also would like to know if there are any unreleased songs or jams that come from the Let it Bleed sessions with Ry Cooder,Brian? and Mick Taylor

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 11, 2022 04:13

24FPS

they only released eight songs from it - one of them a cover and two which were pretty much nicked from Woody and Billy Preston - which would suggest that songs weren't exactly flowing out of them. Two other songs (Worried about You and Slave) ended up being finished for Tattoo You. The 'Lost & Found' bonus disc on the Tattoo You reissue ignored these sessions completely as presumably they didnt think there was anything left worth finishing. Theres a few tracks that have been bootlegged but most of those are instrumental or have guide vocals. The recently circulated 'Built That Way' is one of the few that sound almost finished.

There's several hours worth of rehearsals/jam sessions in circulation from when they were auditioning guitarists but if those tapes are anything to go by, that stuff is unreleasable.

You could be forgiven for thinking that the auditions were the main focus and an album somehow managed to escape from the chaos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-11 04:14 by Gazza.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 11, 2022 05:45

24FPS
Taylor1
Hairball

I LOVE THE STONES. AND BILL. BUT I don’t get this constant criticism of Darryl. He’s a fine player OR he wouldn’t BE with The Stones. He’s NOT Bill, he IS DARRYL.

I was listening to Sticky Fingers live at The Fonda only yesterday and was marvelling at his playing on Bitch, Sister Morphine and Wild Horses in particular. A GREAT player.

Rod

Date: July 11, 2022 05:55

bitusa2012
24FPS
Taylor1
Hairball

I LOVE THE STONES. AND BILL. BUT I don’t get this constant criticism of Darryl. He’s a fine player OR he wouldn’t BE with The Stones. He’s NOT Bill, he IS DARRYL.

I was listening to Sticky Fingers live at The Fonda only yesterday and was marvelling at his playing on Bitch, Sister Morphine and Wild Horses in particular. A GREAT player.

Yeah I agree. You can 'prefer' Bill but you don't have to beat up on the other guy to prove your loyalty.

Date: July 11, 2022 06:56

treaclefingers
bitusa2012
24FPS
Taylor1
Hairball

Yeah I agree. You can 'prefer' Bill but you don't have to beat up on the other guy to prove your loyalty.

Are both of you younger? I'm curious because most people who don't care for Darryl tend to be older. Bill is part of the bedrock of the songs we love. He was an artist. It's still vexing to hear they replaced him with a hack. I don't care how well he was with Miles Davis. He's misplaced in a rock and roll band. He refuses to play the songs the way they were created. Imagine they replaced Keith and the guitarist refused to follow Keith's classic riffs.

I have to ignore the bass when listening to Post Wyman Stones. It does nothing for the music. I don't know what you're marvelling at. He's not locked into the sound at all. He just sounds like any common bass player noodling away underneath the music, not affecting it or enhancing it in any way. Bill now just seems like one of those gifted musicians they were lucky to have, and can't find anymore. Along the lines of Hopkins, Keyes, or Billy Preston. The Stones must not value him that much. Mick played bass on some of A Bigger Bang, and no one noticed.

Bill was a full-fledged member of the Stones. Darryl is a sideman that's guaranteed to show up for the shows. Nothing special, but he's...........there.

Date: July 11, 2022 13:15

treaclefingers
TheGreek
Taylor1

Down in the Hole is absolutely fantastic. Love that track. The "Slave" of Emotional Rescue.
Big time . What a swing and a miss that Down in the Hole has not been performed live . Same as Slave . These tracks would kill live and would be tour de forces live on concert stages

Date: July 11, 2022 13:25

Doug Wimbish would have been a much better choice than Jones. He plays very good on Jagger solo live shows albums

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 11, 2022 13:58

Given Voodoo Brew and Voodoo Stew, I could do with a nice Voodoo Lounge box set with some of the tracks “finished off”, or polished off.

Rod

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 12, 2022 00:22

bitusa2012
Given Voodoo Brew and Voodoo Stew, I could do with a nice Voodoo Lounge box set with some of the tracks “finished off”, or polished off.

and bonus there is that though jagger may not sound exactly like he did in 1993 if he finished off these outtakes today in 2022 it would be way less jarring then him on a 50 year old recording

plus any overdubs that keith or ronnie do will also sound more natural since the way they played hasn't changed as much either since the 90's

and this goes for outtakes from steel wheels thru the forty licks sessions too

there really is a good opportunity for them to put together a standalone release of these songs as a sort of tattoo you of outtakes from the 90's

and before anyone puts down this idea do you really think they couldn't find 10 good outtakes from extensive sessions over 3 albums?

just 10?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 12, 2022 00:33

bitusa2012

AMEN

Would love an official You Got It Made

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home