Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 17 of 20
Hyde Park #2 London UK 03-Jul-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 4, 2022 16:06

Rolling Stones BST review: Touching Charlie Watts tribute has Hyde Park echoing his name

THE ROLLING STONES played Hyde Park into the night as the sun set on the final day of the British Summer Time festival, dedicating the show to late drummer Charlie Watts.

By Samantha Leathers
Jul 4, 2022

Getty

Music lovers from across the world flooded Hyde Park on Sunday afternoon, eagerly anticipating the appearance of rock legends Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood. However, one integral part of the band was evidently missing and after a touching tribute, the next song was almost drowned out by chants of “Charlie” across the crowd of tens of thousands.

Throw a stone into Hyde Park on Sunday, July 3, and you would very likely have hit someone wearing a Rolling Stones tour shirt, although which decade it was from would greatly vary.

Fans anxiously awaited the second appearance of the band at American Express’ British Summer Time festival this year.

Young and old flocked to the stage, but it wasn’t just the chance to sing nostalgic favourites with Mick Jagger that attracted the crowd.

This year marks the 60th anniversary of the Rolling Stones' formation in 1962, but it wasn’t the joyous celebration many would have expected.

Last August, Charlie Watts who had been manning the post of drummer for the Stones since 1963, passed away unexpectedly.

Watts had been diagnosed with throat cancer in the early 2000’s, and jokingly noted that whenever the band seemed to take a break he would suddenly become ill, indicating it was a sign he should just keep going.

It was announced that he would not be joining the band on their No Filter tour as he needed to recover from a medical procedure.

A few weeks later reports of his death began to surface, noting that he died in a London hospital surrounded by his family.

The death of Watts, who was 80 at the time, reportedly shook frontman Mick Jagger, who reportedly began considering his own mortality and lifestyle in light of the tragedy.

Although, if last night’s performance is anything to go by, the rockstar still has many years’ worth of energy left to live out.

he Stones were precursored by Geordie singer-songwriter Sam Fender, who noted what an incredible feat it was to be supporting Rock & Roll Hall of Fame legends.

Before taking to the stage, a touching video tribute played out across the massive stage screens, depicting Watts throughout his decades as a rolling stone.

The rest of the band quickly filtered onto stage, jumping straight into Get Off Of My Cloud as they walked out.

Later in the set, Jagger added: “You know, we played with Charlie for 60 years. We really really miss him so we dedicate this show to Charlie!”

The tribute was met with thunderous applause, as “Charlie” was chanted across thousands in the crowd, almost drowning out the first notes of the next song.

With 60 years’ worth of chart-topping music to choose from, the Stones’ setlist was the perfect combination of nostalgic hits, emotional ballads and fan favourites.

Jagger, 78, Wood, 75, and Richards, 78, could easily have been mistaken for a trio of rambunctious teenagers with the way they ran around the stage.

They appeared as excited to be on stage as the crowd was to see them, with an infectious air of energy running off the stage and straight into the audience.

Even when he wasn’t running around stage as if seeking every edge he could find, frontman Jagger entertained the audience with delightfully upbeat banter.

Jagger jokingly noted midway through the performance: “Welcome to the American Express British Summer Time super-spreader Covid event.”

Another break in the setlist saw the rockstar admitting he had been in the crowd the previous night to see Adele, and that he believed he has worn “sparklier dresses” than her.

Jagger also appeared to want to prove this, with plenty of costume changes ensuring he was dazzling every time he appeared on the screens behind him.

Vocalist Sasha Allen, who was supporting the band, somehow managed to match the incredible energy of Jagger as the duo went down the catwalk for Gimme Shelter, wowing the crowd with her ability to stand her ground mere centimetres away from rock royalty.

[www.express.co.uk]

Re: Hyde Park #2 London UK 03-Jul-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: perkmo ()
Date: July 4, 2022 16:07

Mick looked like he was flying during Like a Rolling Stone, some high energy!

Re: Hyde Park #2 London UK 03-Jul-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 4, 2022 16:12

treaclefingers
slewan
rayrad
how funny was mick last night too?

"welcome to the american express, british summer time, super-spreader covid event!"

not very funny – some people here reported that they caught Covid at the first Hyde Park show

I think it's quite hysterical and ironic, given that he just had COVID, and anyone at this point not understanding they're quite likely at a COVID superspreader event are completely delusional.

Perhaps Mick’s recent, personal covid episode played into the quip, somewhat. You know, sometimes the best weapon is humour.

I’m still positive as of today, but you need to look on the bright side. Keep smiling. Thanks for the humour, Mick!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 4, 2022 16:27

On paper, the new setlist for the first half of Hyde Park 2 looks good, and some of the songs went down well, but in practice it felt a bit random, with several pauses for Mick to say "I can't remember what's next. What's the next one?" or something of the kind. GOOMC isn't the blockbuster opener that SFM is, and it seemed to take a while for things to gel - perhaps because the band, unusually, hit the stage in brilliant evening sunshine ("It's almost warm!" says Mick, and Keith had to take his coat off after 19th N B ). Having been at Hyde Park 1, this show didn't have the same instant impact on the audience - the singalong on Out of Time didn't go so well, for instance.

After Angie (nice guitar from Keith and a popular choice), YCAGWYW and (particularly) Like A Rolling Stone had people more engaged as the sun finally went down. By now I had no idea what might be coming next: YGMR was a surprise. I like all those snarly guitars on YGMR and I enjoyed it, but I did miss Ghost Town.

As I've said earlier, there was quite a disturbance in my area (a fist fight that drew blood) during HTW and Keith's set, just as things were starting to really come together on stage. I can see from the videos that that was a lovely YGTS, but it was hard to really
pay attention.

The rest of the show (the bit that the keyboard warriors usually dismiss as predictable warhorses) was hugely enjoyable from down in the depths of GA by the big screen. I enjoyed watching the band interaction and did a bit of dancing, reminding myself that however old I may be, Mick is older - and no, I wasn't listening for mistakes. Paint It Black is one that hasn't ever quite worked for me without Charlie, but it's short and doesn't spoil the mood. Sasha's mike was for once loud enough, and so was Keith's guitar.

Summary: not as good as HP1, but great fun to attend.

(And did anyone notice Steve Jordan's outfit for the encore? After Charlie's elegant restraint, it's a shock to see the drummer joining Mick in the sparkly-dress department.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 16:34 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 4, 2022 16:43

I definitely noticed Steve Jordan's coat 'of many colours'. I thought it looked part Union Jack at first but there was also Wimbledon purple and green woven in! He's very different from Charlie on every level.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 4, 2022 17:03

Not a fan of the sunglasses though. It's as if he's trying to be the "Stevie-wonder of the Stones"

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 4, 2022 17:21

Nikkei
Not a fan of the sunglasses though. It's as if he's trying to be the "Stevie-wonder of the Stones"

My take is that he is hilarious with the sunglasses and grinning all the time. In his mind he is thinking "It's a gas gas gas"

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 4, 2022 17:35

Just went through a few videos of HP2-

Angie was really beautiful. Loved the guitar work on the final dm / am part.

It may be only me, but I find the sound of acoustic guitars really improved on this tour.

C

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 4, 2022 17:46

Maybe he has sensitive eyes?

Posted by: mmurphy0817 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 18:11

+ another

The negativity is very tiring and pathetic. If it causes this much angst maybe better to focus on other things.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 18:19 by mmurphy0817.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: July 4, 2022 18:23

dnewton99
jumpingjackflash5
dnewton99
Hyde Park #2 was great - videos going up here [www.youtube.com]

Thank you dnewton for great videos and continuous coverage of shows!!

Thank you for the nice comment. I wish I could have gone to more during this Europe run. I sprung for long stretch in London as my own celebration of my 60th birthday (last month) for the SIXTY tour.. Seems like Keith and Ronnie are feeling great and playing so well that it has been great to see. Fun to see so many people I have met or gotten to know in last few years.

I'm so glad to have seen them in Detroit last year for my delayed 60th - Keep on Rollin'!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 18:28 by UGot2Rollme.

Re: Hyde Park #2 London UK 03-Jul-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: July 4, 2022 18:26

bye bye johnny
Rolling Stones BST review: Touching Charlie Watts tribute has Hyde Park echoing his name

THE ROLLING STONES played Hyde Park into the night as the sun set on the final day of the British Summer Time festival, dedicating the show to late drummer Charlie Watts.

By Samantha Leathers
Jul 4, 2022

Getty

Music lovers from across the world flooded Hyde Park on Sunday afternoon, eagerly anticipating the appearance of rock legends Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood. However, one integral part of the band was evidently missing and after a touching tribute, the next song was almost drowned out by chants of “Charlie” across the crowd of tens of thousands.

Throw a stone into Hyde Park on Sunday, July 3, and you would very likely have hit someone wearing a Rolling Stones tour shirt, although which decade it was from would greatly vary.

Fans anxiously awaited the second appearance of the band at American Express’ British Summer Time festival this year.

Young and old flocked to the stage, but it wasn’t just the chance to sing nostalgic favourites with Mick Jagger that attracted the crowd.

This year marks the 60th anniversary of the Rolling Stones' formation in 1962, but it wasn’t the joyous celebration many would have expected.

Last August, Charlie Watts who had been manning the post of drummer for the Stones since 1963, passed away unexpectedly.

Watts had been diagnosed with throat cancer in the early 2000’s, and jokingly noted that whenever the band seemed to take a break he would suddenly become ill, indicating it was a sign he should just keep going.

It was announced that he would not be joining the band on their No Filter tour as he needed to recover from a medical procedure.

A few weeks later reports of his death began to surface, noting that he died in a London hospital surrounded by his family.

The death of Watts, who was 80 at the time, reportedly shook frontman Mick Jagger, who reportedly began considering his own mortality and lifestyle in light of the tragedy.

Although, if last night’s performance is anything to go by, the rockstar still has many years’ worth of energy left to live out.

he Stones were precursored by Geordie singer-songwriter Sam Fender, who noted what an incredible feat it was to be supporting Rock & Roll Hall of Fame legends.

Before taking to the stage, a touching video tribute played out across the massive stage screens, depicting Watts throughout his decades as a rolling stone.

The rest of the band quickly filtered onto stage, jumping straight into Get Off Of My Cloud as they walked out.

Later in the set, Jagger added: “You know, we played with Charlie for 60 years. We really really miss him so we dedicate this show to Charlie!”

The tribute was met with thunderous applause, as “Charlie” was chanted across thousands in the crowd, almost drowning out the first notes of the next song.

With 60 years’ worth of chart-topping music to choose from, the Stones’ setlist was the perfect combination of nostalgic hits, emotional ballads and fan favourites.

Jagger, 78, Wood, 75, and Richards, 78, could easily have been mistaken for a trio of rambunctious teenagers with the way they ran around the stage.

They appeared as excited to be on stage as the crowd was to see them, with an infectious air of energy running off the stage and straight into the audience.

Even when he wasn’t running around stage as if seeking every edge he could find, frontman Jagger entertained the audience with delightfully upbeat banter.

Jagger jokingly noted midway through the performance: “Welcome to the American Express British Summer Time super-spreader Covid event.”

Another break in the setlist saw the rockstar admitting he had been in the crowd the previous night to see Adele, and that he believed he has worn “sparklier dresses” than her.

Jagger also appeared to want to prove this, with plenty of costume changes ensuring he was dazzling every time he appeared on the screens behind him.

Vocalist Sasha Allen, who was supporting the band, somehow managed to match the incredible energy of Jagger as the duo went down the catwalk for Gimme Shelter, wowing the crowd with her ability to stand her ground mere centimetres away from rock royalty.

[www.express.co.uk]

Wonderful review thanks for posting. Seems like a very special day in Hyde Park!

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 4, 2022 18:48

Great, great show. I thought it was better than first one, because the band was more relaxed and seemed to have more fun. People sitting home complaining about set lists, sunglasses (they had the sun in their faces FFS), youtube audio or whatever. Get a grip! Mick was all over the place, much more energetic, relaxed and fun than during the first show. Keith was smiling throughout the entire show and had a solid evening.

I miss Charlie as much as anybody, but I do think Get Off Of My Cloud sounded better as an opener with Steve Jordan than it did back in 2013. It had more power, which you need for an opening song. The sound was superb. Loud guitars and easy to separate the different instruments from one another.

Mick and Keith shared a microphone and smiled to each other on 19th Nervous Breakdown. It just touches your heart. It is nothing more moving for a Stones fan watching the love between Mick and Keith, is it?

Keith did the Angie intro well. It sounds easy, but it's very difficult to play. No one (not even Keith) has managed to play the studio version ever again, but this was a really good effort. Those saying they are tired of Angie: They have almost not played Angie at all for the last 25 years, just with a few exceptions. It's probably their least performed famous song.

YGMR sounded fresh and intense. When you watch youtube clips, you don't have the bass drum and toms punching your chest. People who think you can use the sound from youtube videos fail to understand that the algorithms on your phone, as well as youtube’s own algorithms, cuts frequencies - and especially the lower ones. You don’t get the full picture of the sound! Besides, the sound from Keith's telecaster was just as you want it to be. Malcolm sounded raw, loud, sharp and cutting like a knife thru butter. His solo was not perfect. So what? Not everything is perfect, and why should it be? Thankfully he kept Malcolm for Honky Tonk Women. He sounds fantastic on Honky Tonk these days, loud and upfront in the mix, leading the band thru the song. It's so good that we still have moments with Keef as the boss! Keith also did well on Silver and Happy, singing great – clean and clear. What more do you want?

I agree it was not the best Rambler, but all in all another great show - and what more do people expect when they are approaching 80? We are so lucky that these guys are still putting on a great show. They clearly like what they’re doing. They were smiling and laughing throughout the show last night. And that makes me happy.

Hyde Park #2 London UK 03-Jul-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 4, 2022 19:10

Last night was out of this world! Thank you to the @RollingStones for two incredible shows.

Photo: Lou Morris

BST Hyde Park
[twitter.com]

Posted by: tinnitus ()
Date: July 4, 2022 19:21

Loved it last night. Nuts to me that anyone could criticise any rock & roll band for colouring outside the lines, it misses the point of what rock & roll is. It's imperfections that make it perfect.

I was glad to see you got me rocking (I had lost my voice so my wife sang for the two of us!)

Posted by: raphph ()
Date: July 4, 2022 21:00

Finally finished going through my album from last night and so happy how it turned out - The weather, plus the iconic Hyde Park location meant some different shots to usual - utilising the trees and skyline

Here's the full album
[flic.kr]

And my instagram
[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 4, 2022 21:15

The Worst.
Great, great show. I thought it was better than first one, because the band was more relaxed and seemed to have more fun. People sitting home complaining about set lists, sunglasses (they had the sun in their faces FFS), youtube audio or whatever. Get a grip! Mick was all over the place, much more energetic, relaxed and fun than during the first show. Keith was smiling throughout the entire show and had a solid evening.

I miss Charlie as much as anybody, but I do think Get Off Of My Cloud sounded better as an opener with Steve Jordan than it did back in 2013. It had more power, which you need for an opening song. The sound was superb. Loud guitars and easy to separate the different instruments from one another.

Mick and Keith shared a microphone and smiled to each other on 19th Nervous Breakdown. It just touches your heart. It is nothing more moving for a Stones fan watching the love between Mick and Keith, is it?

Keith did the Angie intro well. It sounds easy, but it's very difficult to play. No one (not even Keith) has managed to play the studio version ever again, but this was a really good effort. Those saying they are tired of Angie: They have almost not played Angie at all for the last 25 years, just with a few exceptions. It's probably their least performed famous song.

YGMR sounded fresh and intense. When you watch youtube clips, you don't have the bass drum and toms punching your chest. People who think you can use the sound from youtube videos fail to understand that the algorithms on your phone, as well as youtube’s own algorithms, cuts frequencies - and especially the lower ones. You don’t get the full picture of the sound! Besides, the sound from Keith's telecaster was just as you want it to be. Malcolm sounded raw, loud, sharp and cutting like a knife thru butter. His solo was not perfect. So what? Not everything is perfect, and why should it be? Thankfully he kept Malcolm for Honky Tonk Women. He sounds fantastic on Honky Tonk these days, loud and upfront in the mix, leading the band thru the song. It's so good that we still have moments with Keef as the boss! Keith also did well on Silver and Happy, singing great – clean and clear. What more do you want?

I agree it was not the best Rambler, but all in all another great show - and what more do people expect when they are approaching 80? We are so lucky that these guys are still putting on a great show. They clearly like what they’re doing. They were smiling and laughing throughout the show last night. And that makes me happy.

Thanks for your explanation of the phone and Youtube algorithms. I thought the sound was incredible yesterday at the event but listening back to some mini recordings on my iPhone, they sound much flatter. I'm still smiling today when I think about last night. It was great to be there.

Date: July 4, 2022 21:24

Yes mobile phone recordings sound good played back on mobile phone. Elsewhere they sound usually flat. Stones' sound is great and much richer.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 21:43

The Worst.

Right on smiling smiley

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: July 4, 2022 21:52

snoopy2
The Worst.

Right on smiling smiley

Agree! Great review! Thanks for posting. smileys with beer

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 4, 2022 21:53

If you have seen a lot of live shows you have a pretty good picture of how it sounds being there in person with the loud bass and drums. You can "fill in the gap" in your head when listening to youtube videos and see beyond the flat recording. Youtube videos are really good for hearing mistakes and analysing the performance in greater detail and not getting overwhelmed by the loudness.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 22:37

TheBlockbuster
If you have seen a lot of live shows you have a pretty good picture of how it sounds being there in person with the loud bass and drums. You can "fill in the gap" in your head when listening to youtube videos and see beyond the flat recording. Youtube videos are really good for hearing mistakes and analysing the performance in greater detail and not getting overwhelmed by the loudness.

I agree YouTube is good for hearing mistakes but it can't caputure a full band sound. Even on Matt Lees videos from front you the sound is thin and flat. There's everything missing that is transported when you experience it in person. So I think you can judge mistakes by YouTube but you can never judge a band sound. And this is what many people do here.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 4, 2022 23:03

After reveling in the stratospheric HP1, my initial impression of HP2 was a moderate if not severe disappointment. It was by no means a bad show. My major reservation about it comes from the lame choice of the songs played. Also Keith was a bit off on the night. It was particularly recognized strongly during Miss You — he seemed to be semi-absent for a good length of time of its performance. Someone on my back shouted, “Where’s Keith!?” And I felt his play on HP1 more nuanced overall.

Reading a number of positive comments posted here on HP2, however, I have come to the stage of reassessing my estimation of the show. It was a great show in its own right for sure. For me, HP1 was on another level — it was too good to be ranked on par with HP2, let alone below. Untouchable even.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 4, 2022 23:06

slewan
rayrad
how funny was mick last night too?

"welcome to the american express, british summer time, super-spreader covid event!"

not very funny – some people here reported that they caught Covid at the first Hyde Park show

Yeah...nothing to joke about, especially considering all the fans who caught it at the first Hyde Park show as you say.
And then there's the fact he cancelled a show due to his own Covid illness, leaving thousands of fans scrambling...not very funny...
Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite the band again...eight shows to go...fingers crossed they make it to the end of this mini-tour unscathed.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 4, 2022 23:11

jumpingjackflash5
Yes mobile phone recordings sound good played back on mobile phone. Elsewhere they sound usually flat. Stones' sound is great and much richer.

Sorry, they are unlistenable everywhere IMHO. Judging performance by watching a phone stream is like sampling a fine restaurant by looking at a menu online. Sure that dish looks like it will taste good but only actually using your senses to decide will determine if its any good.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 4, 2022 23:17

daspyknows
jumpingjackflash5

Sorry, they are unlistenable everywhere IMHO. Judging performance by watching a phone stream is like sampling a fine restaurant by looking at a menu online. Sure that dish looks like it will taste good but only actually using your senses to decide will determine if its any good.

The analogy wouldn't be looking at a menu more like looking at someone's food pics on the insta. Which should give you a general idea of what was served.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: July 4, 2022 23:24

The Worst.

Glad that you enjoyed the show as much as me and my friends. I thought it was a triumph and a celebration. Seems the folk that experienced it on social media didn't like it as much as those who were there. Go figure.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: July 4, 2022 23:27

I had an amazing time.

It won't ever be the same without Charlie but I'm glad I went.

I nearly skipped this tour. Immunosuppressed, covid anxiety (I appreciated Mick's superspreader comment)

My only regret now is not doing last week too. The train strike made it difficult but I wish I'd tried to work something out.

I would've loved loved loved to hear She's a Rainbow live. Angie was good last night but it's one of my bathroom break songs. I never get too excited for it although I appreciate it like I do all stones songs.

Opener, I loved! I must be the only one not too fussed about SFM. It's a good song but never grabbed me as much as others. GOOMC, I love it and thought it was a fantastic opener

YGMR sounded great last night. I prefer a lot of their other songs, but I love hearing it. It brings back some very good memories for me. It was all over the radio during the Licks tour. Wonderful time of my life. First time I saw them more than once on a tour & just a generally good time of life for me. So I enjoyed it

There was a nice vibe in my bit of Diamond VIP.. Everyone around me happy, relaxed, friendly, enjoying themselves.

Now I feel remember the high of seeing them live, I really want to try and catch at least one other show.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 23:30

You got me rocking (1994), the most recent track played last night. Welcome to the museum my friends drinking smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 4, 2022 23:38

daspyknows
jumpingjackflash5

On the other hand, when looking at a picture of a trainwreck, you can get a pretty good idea of what has taken place - you don't have to physically be in that trainwreck to know it's not a nice place to be.
That said, I agree it's not nearly the same when listening to a phone stream vs. actually being there, but there's usually enough info in the phone streams to give a realistic impression to make a rational judgement.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 17 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home