Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20
Re: Hyde Park #2 London UK 03-Jul-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Date: July 4, 2022 12:40

dnewton99
Hyde Park #2 was great - videos going up here [www.youtube.com]

Thank you dnewton for great videos and continuous coverage of shows!!

Re: Hyde Park #2 London UK 03-Jul-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 4, 2022 12:41

john lomax
Silver Dagger
Justin
YGMR sounded great to me. Steve adding some different but still a good groove. Pleasantly surprised. Ronnie's solo is delicious. Great stuff.

Bang on Justin. Couldn't agree more.

I agree - I am not usually a fan of YGMR live but it sounded great last night

Same here as far as this tune/ Keith is really participating here. I will attribute this to him giving up cigarettes. They will mess up your nervous system eventually. My experience anyways. Try tryptophan, a dopamine supplier, to get off them.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 4, 2022 12:42

Angie, You Go Me Rocking and Like A Rolling Stone – three songs that I definitely don't wanna hear. Well done since we won't hear any of these in Amsterdam nor Brussels winking smiley

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: July 4, 2022 12:52

slewan
Angie, You Go Me Rocking and Like A Rolling Stone – three songs that I definitely don't wanna hear. Well done since we won't hear any of these in Amsterdam nor Brussels winking smiley

Almost agree 100% with you. I can do without Angie and YGMRm except I would take LARS instead of Ghost Town anytime.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 4, 2022 12:58

Keith’s singing seems better this tour

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 12:58

Having attended both HP shows I thought there was a marked difference in their performance personally. Particularly in the first half - Keith was all over it, playing better than I've heard in a long while. Honestly one of the best versions of HTW I've heard them do (and yes, that includes the fact that it was SJ on drums). YGMR was superb I thought - Ronnie nailed the solo.

Mick seemed to have way more energy than show one from what I could tell, and didn't seem to be conserving his vocal chords which appeared to be the case in show one (for obvious reasons). He's just astounding.

Midnight Rambler I personally thought was very shaky - it felt like they were getting a bit lost on several occasions and Ronnie's playing was beyond scrappy imo. They got into an amazing groove towards the end but overall it was a bit of a strange one.

One thing that was bugging me was the constant fluctuation in levels on the guitars, Yes, it's really effective on things like the chorus of Sympathy which I know was being done before this tour, but it felt like whoever was doing the sound was getting a bit carried away last night.

Either way very proud to have attended 4 out of 5 Hyde Park shows (and my dad was there in '69 so between us we've got them all covered smiling smiley)

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 4, 2022 13:03

Absolutely outstanding version of Gimme Shelter last night. Sasha Allen is outrageously good.

Posted by: rayrad ()
Date: July 4, 2022 13:06

how funny was mick last night too?

"welcome to the american express, british summer time, super-spreader covid event!"

and introducing ronnie: "buy one of his setlists - he's got a young family to support"

great shirt on keith as well - 'do not x-ray'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 13:09 by rayrad.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 4, 2022 13:07

Do you call that good? Ok. I vote for Milan - that was a mean Gimme Shelter. cool smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 4, 2022 13:29

rayrad

"welcome to the american express, british summer time, super-spreader covid event!"

not very funny – some people here reported that they caught Covid at the first Hyde Park show

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 4, 2022 13:46

slewan

You get ahead of methumbs upgrinning smiley

At least half of the interchangeable songs chosen last night are among the ones I don’t want to hear played live anymore (Angie, LARS, YGMR). If the setlist of HP2 had gone down like this, I’d have gone home happy (here I try to be as realistic as I can).

1. Get Off Of My Crowd
2. 19th Nervous Breakdown
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Out Of Time
5. Fool To Cry
6. You Can't Always Get What You Want
7. Ghost Town
8. Mother’s Little Helper
9. Honky Tonk Women
10. You Got The Silver
11. Happy
12. Miss You
13. Midnight Rambler
14. Start Me Up
15. Paint It Black
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Jumping Jack Flash
18. Gimme Shelter
19. Satisfaction

That being said, LARS and YGMR are among the best versions I have ever heard. As someone claims above, I felt Steve’s “power drumming” suit a straitforward hard rocker like YGMR.

slewan
rayrad

not very funny – some people here reported that they caught Covid at the first Hyde Park show

I wore an FFP3 mask all the way on both dates, at least while the Stones were playing.

Well, I told you so…

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 14:00 by RisingStone.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: July 4, 2022 14:05

bengigan
BowieStone
I literally saw a baby in the gold circle. Not older than a couple of weeks/days(?).

I both do and don’t believe this simultaneously. That’s madness. Although… my mom saw the stones while pregnant with me. I call that my 0th show
Same with me!
My mom was6-7 months pregnant when my parents saw them in the Voodoo Lounge tour.
Apparently i was kicking in tempo with the music. Not sure if i believe that. But good story nonetheless.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 4, 2022 14:20

slewan
rayrad

I agree strange quip

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 14:20

jumpingjackflash5
dnewton99
Hyde Park #2 was great - videos going up here [www.youtube.com]

Thank you dnewton for great videos and continuous coverage of shows!!

Thank you for the nice comment. I wish I could have gone to more during this Europe run. I sprung for long stretch in London as my own celebration of my 60th birthday (last month) for the SIXTY tour.. Seems like Keith and Ronnie are feeling great and playing so well that it has been great to see. Fun to see so many people I have met or gotten to know in last few years.

Hyde Park #2 London UK 03-Jul-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 4, 2022 14:25

Rolling Stones review, BST Hyde Park: Still the world’s greatest dark-hearted party band

Though the opening montage of footage of late drummer Charlie Watts acts as a touching reminder of their vulnerability, there remains something immortal about the Stones

Mark Beaumont
July 4, 2022

Suzan Moore/PA

“Welcome to the American Express British Summer Time Covid super-spreader event,” jokes Mick Jagger, a man who, at 78, appears to have kicked coronavirus in the crotch and come out street fighting. For an hour now he’s been strutting, writhing and arm-flapping across the Hyde Park stage like he’s taking part in a freeform dance-off with himself, cheerleading some of the greatest blues rock known to man. And he’s far from done yet.

Jagger’s bout of Covid just a fortnight ago might have stymied two of The Rolling Stones’ European shows, but for this second of two BST gigs he’s back on prime form, twitching and stamping up the ego ramp bellowing “Get Off of My Cloud” like the iconic rock showman he is. Judging by his several impassioned harmonica solos, he’s retained the lung capacity of a free-diver a third his age.

That Jagger would bounce – and shuffle, jerk, and jive – back was never in much doubt. Though the opening montage of footage of late drummer Charlie Watts acts as a touching reminder of their vulnerability, there remains something immortal about the Stones. Their look is one of rarefied rock’n’roll glitz – Ronnie Wood playing a shimmering gold guitar, Keith Richards garage-casual in bandana and handcuff bracelet, and Jagger resplendent in a variety of glittery and shamanic jackets.

“Adele’s a wonderful singer,” he quips after his third change of outfit, “but I have more sparkly dresses than she has.” Yet there’s still a youthful, electric danger to “19th Nervous Breakdown” and the heat-haze southern rock of “Tumbling Dice”, even if six decades of musical evolution has left such 12-bar riots far behind.

Crucially, they’ve come to embrace that inherent energy. On some tours, the Stones would over-indulge their pre-rock roots with Robert Johnson and Chuck Berry covers and lengthy jams, as gentlemen of a certain age deeply indebted to roadhouse rock and Mississippi blues are wont to do. Tonight, though, they spectacularly cut the slack. An early run of party starters gives way to the most sing-along ballad section imaginable: “Angie” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” virtually get the towers of Park Lane swank pads swaying along. Mid-set, “Honky Tonk Women” is delivered leisurely, but with steamy rock panache, while the customary cover is one of the greatest songs ever written – a stately take on Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone”. Even the band introductions ahead of Richards taking the mic for a tight couple of blues tunes (“You Got the Silver” and “Happy”) are pure entertainment. Jagger declares Wood “the Botticelli of Belgravia” with “a young family to support”.

Disco rocker “Miss You”, with Jagger now in a glittery Star Trek jacket, is overstretched with solos and “Midnight Rambler” is a honky tonk and harmonica workout too far, grinding to a virtual halt about 10 minutes in. But the dark Morricone exotica of “Paint It Black” rejuvenates the set, kicking off a closing cascade of seminal rock’n’roll hits that makes the Stones sound as edgy and confrontational as they were at the sharp end of Sixties and Seventies counterculture. “Sympathy for the Devil” is the ultimate in insidious voodoo rock, Jagger dressed as a sparkling green toreador version of Belzebub as he confesses to his many historical atrocities with a cultivated charm. And “Gimme Shelter” – originally a blustery diatribe against Vietnam and Western urban violence – remains sadly relevant. It comes accompanied by stage-wide footage of bombed out apartment blocks and Ukrainian flags as, out on the ramp, Jagger and backing singer Sasha Allen face off in a barnstorming rock’n’roll tiff.

Sixty years on, The Rolling Stones are still the world’s greatest dark-hearted party band, and Hyde Park has a surfeit of tunes to sing on the Tube: a strident “Start Me Up”, a storming “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”, an ageless “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”. If this event super-spreads anything, it’s jubilance.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: rayrad ()
Date: July 4, 2022 14:31

slewan
rayrad

me and my other half included

and we both laughed!

Re: Hyde Park #2 London UK 03-Jul-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Date: July 4, 2022 14:38

"...and “Midnight Rambler” is a honky tonk and harmonica workout too far, grinding to a virtual halt about 10 minutes in."

It's funny when a reviewer senses that MR went a little off the rails but ends up just describing what is also expected from a good rendition

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 4, 2022 14:49

"...six decades of musical evolution has left such 12-bar riots far behind"

What a nonsense...

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 15:00

thank you for a great show last night, I had a blast in London, will be going back over the pond tomorrow.

Posted by: Matt1984 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 15:09

rayrad

and introducing ronnie: "buy one of his setlists - he's got a young family to support"

Mick was on terrific form. Loved these comments he made.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 4, 2022 15:22

Matt1984
rayrad

Mick was on terrific form. Loved these comments he made.

I thought he seemed very relaxed and loose - if he wasn't enjoying himself, he gave a really good impression that he was. His voice sounded the strongest I remember for many years, even though he was quite breathless on many occasions (perfectly appropriately, given the amount of moving he was doing!)

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 4, 2022 15:27

The Daily Mail, as usual, is only interested in fashion and family gossip:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 4, 2022 15:33

strat72
Anyone who judges a bands performance on some footage filmed with a phone is an imbecile. We are drowning in imbeciles on IORR.

+1

So much negativity and passive-aggressive comments from armchair critics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 15:43 by Beast.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 4, 2022 15:38

slewan
rayrad

I caught covid at Hyde Park #1, yet still find it an amusing comment!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 4, 2022 15:40

slewan
rayrad

Or that is their assumption, whereas few people really know with any certainty where they caught Covid. Could have been on a bus, a train or plane or in a shop or airport or just about anywhere.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 15:41

Beast
strat72
Anyone who judges a bands performance on some footage filmed with a phone is an imbecile. We are drowning in imbeciles on IORR.

+1

Except for the dozens of videos posted here by intelligent, clear-sighted and necessarily tasteful people to demonstrate how incredible this version is, there the use of the video is useful and relevant...

Ah ah come on ! What a (laughable) contempt!

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 15:50 by powerage78.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 4, 2022 15:55

caschimann
Hey everybody, can you please give me an advice:
Since so many years here are 2 Waldorf & Stadlers on our site driving me nuts with their always negative, destructive posts. Everything is bad, sad, wrong about the Stones. Everything was better in the past. Everything should be so or so.
Written in an arrogant, teaching, all knowing way. As if they stand high above the band. And us. And: All judged by Moble videos!!!!!! Annoying output out of their obviously frustrated minds. Of course they are also right here in this thread.
Should I write direcly to them?
Should I swallow, try to ignore and scroll down like in the last years?
Should I pay them money for leavin IORR?

Guess I'm a born centrist but your middle option is definitely the one I'd go for.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 4, 2022 15:57

Mick is looking better than Adele, and she doesn't sing Baby You Are Out Of Time. Though that tune would sound better with 30-60 seconds of just marimbas in the middle. It needs lots more marimbas prominence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 15:59 by triceratops.

Date: July 4, 2022 15:58

Instead of dismissing the ridiculously critical commentary, you'd rather dismiss any commentary as imbecile. ok

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 4, 2022 16:06

slewan
rayrad

I think it's quite hysterical and ironic, given that he just had COVID, and anyone at this point not understanding they're quite likely at a COVID superspreader event are completely delusional.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1333
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home