Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Micawber during European tour 2022
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 6, 2022 13:30

The Worst.
The easiest way to tell the difference straight away is that Micawber is missing that black dot on the 17th fret. A bit difficult to see at a concert maybe, but Malcolm has these wood lines moving along the body that are easily recognized on big screens.

About the differences in sound: Keith used Micawber for "Struggle" on that TV show with Thom Hanks in 1988. The sound is so loud, sharp and aggressive. Never heard a Tele like that. Malcolm has a bit more warm and round sound, if that makes sense.
I think the sound for the "Stuggle" TV show is mainly due to the amp settings and effects he used.

The difference between Malcom and Micawber through the same Fender Deluxe amps is actually really subtle, barely noticable, in my opinion. Before Keith got that Lake Placid Blue Tele for the 4th capo songs, he often used Micawber for the no-capo songs like BS and HTW and Malcom (I think) for JJF as seen in the Sweet Summer Sun movie. Even on the recordings I can barely differentiate them by sound, let alone at a loud concert.

I can hear a difference though to the sunburst Dice-Tele (it is called Sunny?) but I suppose it's mainly due to the different pickups who seem to have less output and therefore sound cleaner and thinner (or more "sparkely", to name a positive attribute). Although this guitar could also sound quite fat in the past like in 2003 when he used it on JJF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-06 13:31 by StonedRambler.

Date: July 6, 2022 16:23

I always thought it is very easy to spot Micawber vs Malcolm.

I'm still mystified where as to where I heard about the authentic Micawber being laid up. The Worst said above that it had been on display. But I don;t think that is what I saw. I want to say that it was Keith himself speaking in a YT clip.
I hope I didn't dream this. I hate when I come on this forum and say something, and it ends up being nonsense.
Way back, in the early days of IORR, I was out here talking about the solo of "Dance Little Sister", and how Taylor made that Les Paul howl. Only to have to be told that it is played on a Strat. I was mortified, haha...

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 6, 2022 16:40

Palace Revolution: You probably watched this clip, made by the Metropolitan Museum when Micawber was displayed there back in 2019:

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 7, 2022 09:48

Palace Revolution 2000
I hate when I come on this forum and say something, and it ends up being nonsense.

hahaha haven't we all been there

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 7, 2022 23:54

Could this be Micawber? Amsterdam today

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: July 7, 2022 23:57

MartinB

[www.youtube.com]

Yes it is!! smiling smiley smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 8, 2022 00:26

The Worst.
Palace Revolution: You probably watched this clip, made by the Metropolitan Museum when Micawber was displayed there back in 2019:

Many thanks for posting that clip, The Worst.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 8, 2022 01:46

The Worst.

"In fact we are electromagnetic, that's what makes us think"

Well, biology seems not his strength, but don't tell him! Don't destroy the mystery for him

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-08 01:46 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 8, 2022 11:42

Actually, Keith is onto something! A neuroscientist will tell you that your brain does emit some elctromagnetic radiation. The big debate is whether the brain's
electromagnetic fields are connected to your consciousness.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 8, 2022 12:00

The way I would put it that an active neuron has a tiny electromagnetic "field" when it's firing so adding all of these up you could talk of the "electromagnetic properties" of the brain

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: July 8, 2022 12:45

MartinB

[www.youtube.com]

Correct.

Keith used it on SMU yesterday. First time he played it live since 2019.

Date: July 8, 2022 12:51

Mathijs
trevormcmullin
People confuse Micawber with Malcolm a lot. Malcolm has a more blonde/cream finish with a white pick guard. Micawber has a natural wood finish with a black pick guard. Micawber has been rare so far on this tour but Keith did play micawber on You Got Me Rocking at Hyde Park 2, which is cool.

Hope all they are seeing the shows are having a blast, I am unfortunately watching it on YouTube but they're sounding and looking great.

Micawber is a blond Tele, Malcolm is a see-through finish Tele showing the grain of the wood. Micawber has a brass bridge, Malcolm chrome.

Keith used Malcolm on YGMR at Hyde Park.

Micawber is still in use, it has not been retired.

Mathijs

The body on Malcolm was sanded down a long time ago to that natural grain look, probably in the early 70s or earlier.

Date: July 8, 2022 12:55

StonedRambler
And what's so special about Micawber as opposed to Malcom? I mean it's basically the same guitar, one locking a bit more fckd up smiling smiley

Also Malcom with 5 bridge string holders is easier to intonate than Micawber with only three

Micawber also has five bridge string holders. You have to go back to the 70s to see it with three.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 9, 2022 07:41

Glad to see Macawber back in action yesterday !

sc uk

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 11, 2022 19:53

z
Big Al
Would someone be kind enough to post a picture of Micawber and Malcolm, so I, and others, can see the difference?

Micawber

Malcolm

Apologise for such a late response. Thank you, z!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 12, 2022 18:31

JumpinJeppeFlash
Mathijs
trevormcmullin
People confuse Micawber with Malcolm a lot. Malcolm has a more blonde/cream finish with a white pick guard. Micawber has a natural wood finish with a black pick guard. Micawber has been rare so far on this tour but Keith did play micawber on You Got Me Rocking at Hyde Park 2, which is cool.

Hope all they are seeing the shows are having a blast, I am unfortunately watching it on YouTube but they're sounding and looking great.

Micawber is a blond Tele, Malcolm is a see-through finish Tele showing the grain of the wood. Micawber has a brass bridge, Malcolm chrome.

Mathijs

The body on Malcolm was sanded down a long time ago to that natural grain look, probably in the early 70s or earlier.

No, it's a see-through finish.

Mathijs

Date: July 13, 2022 15:48

Mathijs
JumpinJeppeFlash
Mathijs
trevormcmullin

Mathijs

Mathijs

We don´t have the same opinion about that onesmiling smiley

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 13, 2022 20:11

JumpinJeppeFlash
Mathijs
JumpinJeppeFlash
Mathijs
trevormcmullin

Mathijs

Mathijs

We don´t have the same opinion about that onesmiling smiley

There's a claim that Malcolm originally had a butterscotch finish which was sanded off. If that was the case, it was refinished with a see through finish before Keith got the guitar.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home