Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Micawber during European tour 2022
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 1, 2022 22:52

What happened with Micawber? Have we seen it this tour?

Re: Micawber during European tour 2022
Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 1, 2022 23:59

Good question. I don’t think we have seen it. For most 5 string songs Keith uses the lake placid blue tele, then the sunburst one for TD, and a different yellow tele (is it “Malcolm”) for HTW.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 4, 2022 10:47

got him

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 11:03

This is not Micawber, not even a 5-string

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: July 4, 2022 12:07

plus Micawber features a maple neck without a rosewood fingerboard - and a neck position humbucker...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 4, 2022 12:36

hockenheim95
This is not Micawber, not even a 5-string

Could Nikki be referring to the other Tele, ‘Malcolm’? Is Keith playing that guitar, here?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 4, 2022 13:12

The Tele Nikkei posted is named "999" by Keith.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 4, 2022 14:23

Sorry I always thought Malcolm and Micawber were easy to tell apart but apparently I was always wrong and thought that was Malcolm all the time

Date: July 4, 2022 16:26

I read somewhere that Keith doesn't even use the real Micawber, or Malcolm anymore. That when he does they are reproductions, to the nth degree, but not the real one.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 4, 2022 16:49

Palace Revolution 2000
I read somewhere that Keith doesn't even use the real Micawber, or Malcolm anymore. That when he does they are reproductions, to the nth degree, but not the real one.

I did not hear/read this, but even if they were reproduction, Micawber seems to have disappeared.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 4, 2022 18:53

He has used Malcolm on this tour. Don't think he has used Micawber, but I have not studied pictures and videos closely. I actually do think Micawber is displayed in museum somwhere in USA at the moment if I'm not mistaken. But he has used Malcolm for sure.

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 4, 2022 19:26

Yeah, he used Malcolm yesterday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 19:49 by z.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: July 4, 2022 20:34

Last time Keith played Micawber live was in the US 2019. Last year and this year so far Malcolm, Sonny and The Lake Placid Blue Tele is the three Teles used for 5-string open tuning.

Date: July 4, 2022 20:52

JumpinJeppeFlash
Last time Keith played Micawber live was in the US 2019. Last year and this year so far Malcolm, Sonny and The Lake Placid Blue Tele is the three Teles used for 5-string open tuning.

When was the last time he played Gloria - the last time they played Doom & Gloom?

Date: July 4, 2022 22:11

DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash

When was the last time he played Gloria - the last time they played Doom & Gloom?

I haven’t seen the Esquire live since the US Tour 2015.

Date: July 4, 2022 22:21

Palace Revolution 2000

Are you serious?

Keith never played any exact replicas of these guitars live. Many other custom made teles though, for example in Werchter 2014.

Date: July 5, 2022 03:18

JumpinJeppeFlash
Palace Revolution 2000

Are you serious?

Keith never played any exact replicas of these guitars live. Many other custom made teles though, for example in Werchter 2014.

Where did I see this? It was very recent. I was kind of hoping someone here also heard this, and could back me up. It really surprised me. It said that he no longer uses the real one because it is so valuable.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 5, 2022 11:54

Palace Revolution 2000
JumpinJeppeFlash
Palace Revolution 2000

Are you serious?

Where did I see this? It was very recent. I was kind of hoping someone here also heard this, and could back me up. It really surprised me. It said that he no longer uses the real one because it is so valuable.

There has been many statements about the fact that Keith uses modern Custom Shop replicas of his guitars, or just modern built aged guitars. But to date I have not seen one picture of him playing a modern built aged Tele.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-05 14:07 by Mathijs.

Date: July 5, 2022 12:31

In 2019, Micawber was displayed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York (along with a 1959 Les Paul and two 1950s tweed Fender Twin combo amps). It was then lent out to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum in Cleveland in 2020.
Where it is right now, I don't know - but it might still be in Cleveland.

[www.metmuseum.org]
[www.metmuseum.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-05 12:40 by The Worst..

Posted by: trevormcmullin ()
Date: July 6, 2022 04:43

People confuse Micawber with Malcolm a lot. Malcolm has a more blonde/cream finish with a white pick guard. Micawber has a natural wood finish with a black pick guard. Micawber has been rare so far on this tour but Keith did play micawber on You Got Me Rocking at Hyde Park 2, which is cool.

Hope all they are seeing the shows are having a blast, I am unfortunately watching it on YouTube but they're sounding and looking great.

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: July 6, 2022 08:52

trevormcmullin
People confuse Micawber with Malcolm a lot. Malcolm has a more blonde/cream finish with a white pick guard. Micawber has a natural wood finish with a black pick guard. Micawber has been rare so far on this tour but Keith did play micawber on You Got Me Rocking at Hyde Park 2, which is cool.

Hope all they are seeing the shows are having a blast, I am unfortunately watching it on YouTube but they're sounding and looking great.

Malcolm also has a black pickguard

Date: July 6, 2022 10:10

trevormcmullin

You're talking about '999', not Malcolm.

And he used Malcolm, not Micawber, on YGMR smiling smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 6, 2022 10:50

Would someone be kind enough to post a picture of Micawber and Malcolm, so I, and others, can see the difference?

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: July 6, 2022 11:02

MartinB
What happened with Micawber? Have we seen it this tour?
Same question I posed to myself during HPII.
I was telling my kids which song they would be playing by looking at the guitars they were being handed and realized pretty soon Micawber was not being used.

Date: July 6, 2022 11:20

Big Al
Would someone be kind enough to post a picture of Micawber and Malcolm, so I, and others, can see the difference?

Micawber

Malcolm

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 6, 2022 11:36

And what's so special about Micawber as opposed to Malcom? I mean it's basically the same guitar, one locking a bit more fckd up smiling smiley

Also Malcom with 5 bridge string holders is easier to intonate than Micawber with only three

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-06 11:41 by StonedRambler.

Date: July 6, 2022 11:46

The easiest way to tell the difference straight away is that Micawber is missing that black dot on the 17th fret. A bit difficult to see at a concert maybe, but Malcolm has these wood lines moving along the body that are easily recognized on big screens.

About the differences in sound: Keith used Micawber for "Struggle" on that TV show with Thom Hanks in 1988. The sound is so loud, sharp and aggressive. Never heard a Tele like that. Malcolm has a bit more warm and round sound, if that makes sense.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 6, 2022 12:19

trevormcmullin

Micawber is a blond Tele, Malcolm is a see-through finish Tele showing the grain of the wood. Micawber has a brass bridge, Malcolm chrome.

Keith used Malcolm on YGMR at Hyde Park.

Micawber is still in use, it has not been retired.

Mathijs

Date: July 6, 2022 12:23

Wasn't there a thread dedicated to Keith's Teles? Or solid body guitars?
DP..?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 6, 2022 12:37

z
Wasn't there a thread dedicated to Keith's Teles? Or solid body guitars?
DP..?

Have a look here:

[iorr.org]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home