Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
remarks from Assistant Engineer on IORR
Date: June 30, 2022 20:45

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

I wonder what you guys think of this.

Re: remarks from Assistant Engineer on IORR
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 30, 2022 21:38

That’s was great It shows that the Stones aren’t the Stones without talented people around them to guide and teach. He gave a lot of credit to Stewart.

Date: June 30, 2022 22:06

Started in Jamaica?

After we got The Fully Finished Studio Outtakes we have the early version as a comparison. I understand what he says, but I'm not sure if I agree.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 30, 2022 23:09

I saw a clip from this same interview/interviewee where he talked about Mick Taylor and Bill. He said something to the effect that all the engineers loved what Bill did. He also said the reason Mick Taylor left, and Bill didn't leave earlier was generational. That Bill was from that grim older generation that didn't give up their day job.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 1, 2022 00:14

I thought Ron Wood basically wrote it and swapped credits with Jagger for I Can Feel the Fire.And started in Jamaica? I thought it started in London with Bowievand Wood.He also talks about the band playing on it, but isn’t only Keith ?He also says I another segment of the interview thatit was only 2 days of auditions to replace Taylor before Wood was the guy.That’s not true.What about all the days Perkins and Mandel recorded before Wood got there. Wasn’t Perkins almost picked as the replacement? He doesn’t even mention Perkins by name

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-01 00:46 by Taylor1.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 1, 2022 01:37

Very interesting
Any idea where we can listen to the primal stuff?

This ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-01 01:42 by The Joker.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 1, 2022 01:58

I don’t trust this guy’s memory. Also, a second engineer shouldn’t be saying shit to Ian Stewart lol

Date: July 1, 2022 02:14

TravelinMan
I don’t trust this guy’s memory. Also, a second engineer shouldn’t be saying shit to Ian Stewart lol
Agreed.Plus there is no way IORR began inJamaica in1972.And no mention of Wood?No mention that only Keith plays on it?.Also listen how wrong he is about the auditions for Taylor’s replacement

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 1, 2022 03:19

According to another interview with Tapani Talo...

The confusion about IORR is Tapani was not in Jamaica.
Tapani joined the Stones at the end of the mixing of Goats Head Soup.
Tapani is talking about Ian telling Tapani IORR had a great start in Jamaica.
From my understanding, Ian was talking about the IORR album.

"Short and Curlies" and "Waiting on a Friend" were the start of the IORR album
which were recorded in Jamaica.

I'll have to revisit the story of the creation of IORR.

Tapani Talo in the Rolling Stones Mobil Unit

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 1, 2022 03:21

TravelinMan

You weren’t there. You don’t know him you don’t know Stewart. I believe him He’s a stand up guy not like some members in the band.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 1, 2022 04:26

The Joker
Very interesting
Any idea where we can listen to the primal stuff?

This ?

this sounds like part of the track they used in the bubble video

Date: July 1, 2022 06:18

Cooltoplady
TravelinMan

You weren’t there. You don’t know him you don’t know Stewart. I believe him He’s a stand up guy not like some members in the band.

I’m laughing at the idea of a second engineer telling Ian Stewart he won’t be recording if ….

I’m sorry, but that’s some major bravado. Especially considering the chain of command in recording studios back in those days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-01 06:19 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 1, 2022 06:42

DandelionPowderman
Started in Jamaica?

After we got The Fully Finished Studio Outtakes we have the early version as a comparison. I understand what he says, but I'm not sure if I agree.

It wasn't started in Jamaica. Why he would say that... ridiculous.

Date: July 1, 2022 06:47

Taylor1
I thought Ron Wood basically wrote it and swapped credits with Jagger for I Can Feel the Fire.And started in Jamaica? I thought it started in London with Bowievand Wood.He also talks about the band playing on it, but isn’t only Keith ?He also says I another segment of the interview thatit was only 2 days of auditions to replace Taylor before Wood was the guy.That’s not true.What about all the days Perkins and Mandel recorded before Wood got there. Wasn’t Perkins almost picked as the replacement? He doesn’t even mention Perkins by name

Very weird shit. Of which 95% doesn't make sense.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 1, 2022 06:55

Just checked his wikipedia page, pretty impressive resume. In the 70s he worked with the Stones, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Bad Company, The Who, Status Quo, Black Sabbath and Traffic!

Date: July 1, 2022 07:00

DGA35
Just checked his wikipedia page, pretty impressive resume. In the 70s he worked with the Stones, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Bad Company, The Who, Status Quo, Black Sabbath and Traffic!

Yet... he lies.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2022 12:14

Taylor1

You have to see where he's coming from -he's an engineer in a studio. The Stones book the studio, ship in hours of reels with music recorded at previous sessions to work on. It's impossible for him to remember 48 years later where what was recorded exactly and whom played on it.

We do not know where IORR really originated from -Wood joined sessions in Munich in 1973 already. It's possible rough ideas already existed in Jamaica and that the band jammed on it. What this engineer is saying is that they failed in recording a take with magic on it -perhaps that is what Keith recognized in Wood's recorded version, wiped all the guitars and redid it himself. Could be, we don't know.

The sessions with Perkins and Mandel where in Rotterdam (weeks), Munich (days) and Zurich (days), and Perkins likely recorded at The Wick as well. We don't really know to where this engineer is referencing to.

Mathijs

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 1, 2022 13:59

I think he's probably right about IORR. They never played it anything like the original live which indicates that they thought the tempo was wrong. Also, they changed the key.

Date: July 1, 2022 14:44

Is that video with the sailor suits and bubbles the same backing track as the album but with different Jagger vocals?

Date: July 1, 2022 15:04

TravelinMan
Is that video with the sailor suits and bubbles the same backing track as the album but with different Jagger vocals?

+ new Keith guitar.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 1, 2022 15:09

Dunno about his recollections about IORR, seems odd that Mick would bring an idea from Jamaica to the Wick...

What he says about Ian Stewart is maybe more interesting, that he was running the show on a very limited budget. I wonder if he was on a salary or got some kind of cut ?

"The sessions with Perkins and Mandel where in Rotterdam (weeks), Munich (days) and Zurich (days), and Perkins likely recorded at The Wick as well. We don't really know to where this engineer is referencing to."

Recording sessions in Zurich for B&B ? When did that happen ? Can't see any reference anywhere.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-01 15:13 by gotdablouse.

Date: July 1, 2022 17:09

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

+ new Keith guitar.

Strange that they made a separate version for a music video.

Date: July 1, 2022 17:29

sjs12
I think he's probably right about IORR. They never played it anything like the original live which indicates that they thought the tempo was wrong. Also, they changed the key.
The album version tempo sounds like Bang the Gong, which was a hit song a little before IORR. Personally, I like the album tempo and the overall song and do not like any of the live versions . Not everything has to be dance music

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 1, 2022 17:31

the title of this led me to expect a rant of some sort about us starting unneccessary duplicate threads and such

Date: July 2, 2022 07:29

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

+ new Keith guitar.

Why do you say that? They'd started that back in 1973 and it ended in 1978.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 2, 2022 09:27

GasLightStreet
DGA35

Yet... he lies.

When Franco banned Sticky Fingers in Spain I suggested they use a can of molasses with a severed hand coming out of it. Totally true.

Date: July 2, 2022 10:46

GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

+ new Keith guitar.

Or 1983, with She Was Hot.

Mathijs

Date: July 2, 2022 10:51

gotdablouse

"The sessions with Perkins and Mandel where in Rotterdam (weeks), Munich (days) and Zurich (days), and Perkins likely recorded at The Wick as well. We don't really know to where this engineer is referencing to."

Recording sessions in Zurich for B&B ? When did that happen ? Can't see any reference anywhere.

October 1975, recordings for B&B with the band in Montreux, and overdubs in Zurich.

Keith was in Switzerland in a clinic to clean up so band took time to record there as well.

Mathijs

Date: July 2, 2022 15:30

Mathijs
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

+ new Keith guitar.

Or 1983, with She Was Hot.

Mathijs

Not sure I follow. The IORR music video wasn’t released until 1978/83?

Date: July 2, 2022 17:04

He probably means that they had different versions (mostly redone vocals) on their music videos between 1973 and 1978.

She Was Hot was merely a different edit than the studio version, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-02 17:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home