Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 20 of 21
Re: The Rolling Stones In Mono
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 7, 2023 15:58

Irix
Spud

Did Sean cut them from flat digital files, in the same way that Miles Showell cut the 1971-2016 boxed set ?

Lacquer cutting for vinyl was performed at Abbey Road Studios by Sean Magee from the Direct Stream Digital transfers (DSD, 2.8MHz/1bit), mastered in 2016 by Bob Ludwig from the original master recordings - [www.ABKCO.com] , [www.ABKCO.com] , [TheAudiophileMan.com] . But it was no HalfSpeed-Mastering like Miles Showell did in 2018 (also from digital PCM and DSD files) for the 1971-2016 box set - [www.AbbeyRoad.com] .

Funny how that set, the 1971-2016 renders completely irrelevant the 1971-2005 set, not only with the inclusion of Blue & Lonesome but by correcting the loud mastering of the earlier set. I remember when 71-05 and 64-69 were simultaneously released, the ABKCO set got all the love and the Universal box all the disdain.

Has anyone ever compared those early mono albums in 64-69 with the 2016 box set, or the 2023?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 7, 2023 16:07

I was really impressed with the 71-2016 box.

OK They aren't as good as original pressings in decent nick... but,to my ears, they better any previous digitally sourced releases for the years covered.

[The only issue I have with my box is that they're nearly all a bit warped and many suffer with quite noticeable between tracks LF "vinyl roar".

The music however sounds great...with very natural dynamics and a tuneful low end.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 7, 2023 16:10

treaclefingers

Has anyone ever compared those early mono albums in 64-69 with the 2016 box set, or the 2023?

Maybe in the 2016 thread about the original Mono Box - [iorr.org] ?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 7, 2023 16:19

Original mono pressings of the first two albums [especially the first album] are amongst the most "real" sounding records I've ever heard .

Date: February 7, 2023 19:31

Irix
treaclefingers

thx Irix! A trip down memory lane.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 8, 2023 00:53

treaclefingers
Irix
treaclefingers

I listened to my ffrr and London red label mono copies of the early albums through OOOH while switching back and forth with the 2016 mono box set records. I assume the colored vinyl release has to be extremely close SQ wise to the 2016 black vinyl. Both the originals and the 2016 mono box sound fantastic. Sure the analogue sound on the originals has an intimacy that perhaps the digital transfer loses, but it also depends on how you like your music playback to sound. What's good for me, may not work for someone else. Of some interest to this discussion I did a comparative listen with the SACD Aftermath along with the mono box copy, a UK Decca ffrr mono and London red label mono. To my ears the mono box copy was the full package although the other copies sound great. For some reason the US London pressings mono and stereo of Aftermath really stand out. Weird that in comparison the SACD Aftermath seemed a bit muted on the top end. As far as the mono box set copies are different it's that the bass has more presence. The soundstage is wide on both the originals and the mono box set. 10:00 and 2:00 and depending on how your speakers are set up it could be called a 180 degree sound fan presentation. At upper end volume this stuff soars. If there are gems in the mono box sets it is probably the mono TSMR. I grew up with the stereo version which always worked fine with me, but this mono cut is a sonic gem to behold. Certain tracks of course stand out like Citadel, 2000 Man, She's A Rainbow, and definitely 2000 Light Years From Home, but that is true on the stereo version as well. The mono cuts though eclipse the stereo by a wide margin from a sound quality and detail standpoint. BB, LIB, and Stray Cats records in the mono box set all sound excellent. Again, I can't recommend enough for people to play this mono box set turned up loud.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 8, 2023 01:02

If there are gems in the mono box sets it is probably the mono TSMR.

YES mono Their Satanic Majesties is a must have ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 8, 2023 01:25

Rockman
If there are gems in the mono box sets it is probably the mono TSMR.

YES mono Their Satanic Majesties is a must have ....

A real wowser of a surprise. Hell, I would have bought the mono when I was a kid, but who knew? I was 14 and figured the stereo cost more so it should be better... Funny though I bought half of the early stuff in mono. We were playing those records on some simple record players back then to boot. It all sounded great to me!

Date: February 8, 2023 01:26

UK mono of Aftermath ..... another gem ... essential

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 8, 2023 06:25

Like the Beatles Mono Box that came before it in 2009 (I bought the cd box set back then), the Stones Mono cd Box from 2016 is amongst my most prized box sets.
I have fond memories of a road trip from SoCal up tp Santa Clara in the summer of 2019 to see the Stones at Levis stadium, and the Mono box was my traveling buddy.
Apprx. 4.5 hours to get there and apprx. 4.5 hours to get back home...15 cds...it was timed damn near perfectly, and the entire adventure was forever embedded in memories and etched in stone.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 8, 2023 15:04

My mono box:

Ordered from JPC Germany

Left JPC by DHL courier 24Jan
Tracking says it will leave Germany FOR Australia on Jan 26? And be delivered within 5-15 working days from then.
Tracking still says that
DHL say it’s in Australia despite what their own Tracking says
Australia Post (DHL hand off courier in Australia) say it’s still in Germany
DHL say it’s in Australia

Great tracking system

It’ll probably just appear on my doorstep !

Rod

Date: February 8, 2023 16:40

filstan
treaclefingers
Irix
treaclefingers

I listened to my ffrr and London red label mono copies of the early albums through OOOH while switching back and forth with the 2016 mono box set records. I assume the colored vinyl release has to be extremely close SQ wise to the 2016 black vinyl. Both the originals and the 2016 mono box sound fantastic. Sure the analogue sound on the originals has an intimacy that perhaps the digital transfer loses, but it also depends on how you like your music playback to sound. What's good for me, may not work for someone else. Of some interest to this discussion I did a comparative listen with the SACD Aftermath along with the mono box copy, a UK Decca ffrr mono and London red label mono. To my ears the mono box copy was the full package although the other copies sound great. For some reason the US London pressings mono and stereo of Aftermath really stand out. Weird that in comparison the SACD Aftermath seemed a bit muted on the top end. As far as the mono box set copies are different it's that the bass has more presence. The soundstage is wide on both the originals and the mono box set. 10:00 and 2:00 and depending on how your speakers are set up it could be called a 180 degree sound fan presentation. At upper end volume this stuff soars. If there are gems in the mono box sets it is probably the mono TSMR. I grew up with the stereo version which always worked fine with me, but this mono cut is a sonic gem to behold. Certain tracks of course stand out like Citadel, 2000 Man, She's A Rainbow, and definitely 2000 Light Years From Home, but that is true on the stereo version as well. The mono cuts though eclipse the stereo by a wide margin from a sound quality and detail standpoint. BB, LIB, and Stray Cats records in the mono box set all sound excellent. Again, I can't recommend enough for people to play this mono box set turned up loud.

I've made my way through Stray Cats, TSMR, Flowers and BtB, in that order.

Absolutely fabulous...just a clean sound.

Agree with you on TSMR...just such power. I think I now prefer it to BtB.

The single standout track so far for me, has been Street Fighting Man off of Stray Cats, glorious just hearing things I hadn't heard before...and JJF again, so much power.

I'll try to do 'the Aftermaths' today.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 8, 2023 19:25

bitusa2012
My mono box:

Ordered from JPC Germany

Left JPC by DHL courier 24Jan
Tracking says it will leave Germany FOR Australia on Jan 26? And be delivered within 5-15 working days from then.
Tracking still says that
DHL say it’s in Australia despite what their own Tracking says
Australia Post (DHL hand off courier in Australia) say it’s still in Germany
DHL say it’s in Australia

Great tracking system

It’ll probably just appear on my doorstep !

JPC has been notoriously slow for several months now, with items taking up to 30 days to reach me here in Connecticut from Germany - that's in the eastern portion of the US, closer to Europe than say Texas or California. I can't imagine how much longer it'll take to get to you. I'd not expect it until the end of this month, at the earliest.

Date: February 9, 2023 01:36

Rockman
UK mono of Aftermath ..... another gem ... essential

Undoubtably high quality those mono UK Decca 1966 LK 4786's. Nothing missing there with highs, mids, and bottom sound. Those pressings are the real deal, and set the sound quality bar very high. Essential indeed!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 9, 2023 14:07

Finally got my box earlier in the week. Looks and sounds great so far

However, i've just got to Between The Buttons, and on 'Something Happened To Me Yesterday' there's some awful distortion throughout the entire song

Anyone else's copy have that or is mine faulty?

thanks

Date: February 9, 2023 23:52

some awful distortion throughout the entire song

Heck that dont sound good ./......

ROCKMAN

Date: February 9, 2023 23:55

Rockman
some awful distortion throughout the entire song

Heck that dont sound good ./......

Hmmm...sounds like something happened to him yesterday.

Date: February 9, 2023 23:59

P...P.. P..Pl.Pl..Pleeeeze go HoHoHomehomehome .....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 10, 2023 00:00

Gave LIB and Beggar's a workout today...fantastic.

I wasn't going to go this route but I left the earliest stuff to last.

I have 9 albums to listen through (just to check for flaws)...the Debut through the Aftermaths.

So far no issue, just a fabulously produced collection.

Date: February 13, 2023 21:49

I Am Waiting...wow, what a classic. Listened it back to back on the UK/US Aftermaths workout.

Just so good...can't believe I forgot about it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 14, 2023 00:38

treaclefingers
I Am Waiting...wow, what a classic. Listened it back to back on the UK/US Aftermaths workout.

Just so good...can't believe I forgot about it.

One of my faves from the 60's. Would love to hear this one live too! I would pay big $$$ to see an arena show of all obscure songs!!! THAT would be cool!

Date: February 17, 2023 11:45

Color Mono-Box: price on [www.jpc.de] now increased to € 482.99 (from former €359.99). Still in stock for € 349.99 on [www.Amazon.fr] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-17 11:55 by Irix.

Date: February 17, 2023 17:09

Irix
Color Mono-Box: price on [www.jpc.de] now increased to € 482.99 (from former €359.99). Still in stock for € 349.99 on [www.Amazon.fr] .

Yeah I noticed that it's slowly rising on DISCOGS as well (other than the fraudulent transactions being perpetrated - the box for $120, year right).

I don't understand the price increases, given you can still get it for $375 on ABKCO, $499 Canadian on Udiscovermusic.ca (roughly $375 US, and amazon.fr as you already referenced.

I guess the inventory is dwindling but it seems far from sold out as of yet.

Date: February 17, 2023 17:15

treaclefingers

Yeah I noticed that it's slowly rising on DISCOGS as well

On [Amazon.com] Marketplace too.

Date: February 17, 2023 23:49

Irix
treaclefingers

Funny, and on amazon.ca it's decreased in price from $699 to $660. Still ludicrous.

It started at I think $499 but quickly went to $550, then $625 I think, then $699...all in presale.

I doubt they sold one copy the greedy buggers.

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: February 19, 2023 03:39

Absolutely love the first few records I’ve tried in this set so far. Then last night I put on Let it Bleed. Far inferior in my opinion to the stereo version. Was there actually a mono mix of this album in 1969, or is this just a fold down to complete this set?

Date: February 19, 2023 13:35

Jimmy C

Was there actually a mono mix of this album in 1969, or is this just a fold down to complete this set?

Beggars Banquet (except SFTD) and Let It Bleed UK-LPs were stereo to mono fold-downs - [TheAudiophileMan.com] . See also the thread about the original 2016 Mono-Box - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: March 2, 2023 18:01

Down to $383 on Amazon.com

Date: March 2, 2023 18:11

treaclefingers
Irix
treaclefingers

Funny, and on amazon.ca it's decreased in price from $699 to $660. Still ludicrous.

It started at I think $499 but quickly went to $550, then $625 I think, then $699...all in presale.

I doubt they sold one copy the greedy buggers.

For bargain hunters (LOL), the box has dropped to a 'measly' $568 on amazon.ca

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 2, 2023 20:09

Irix
Jimmy C

Was there actually a mono mix of this album in 1969, or is this just a fold down to complete this set?

Beggars Banquet (except SFTD) and Let It Bleed UK-LPs were stereo to mono fold-downs - [TheAudiophileMan.com] . See also the thread about the original 2016 Mono-Box - [iorr.org] .

Yes, and I’m correct, that is, the ‘mono’ Let it Bleed was a U.K. release, only - unless some European markets got it, too?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 20 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home