Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 21
Re: Stones in Mono to be Re-Released???
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 17, 2022 16:21

ironbelly
bitusa2012
Oh ok. I’ll rephrase your honour. What makes these so special as to make anyone want them, so specifically?

Technically, there are a couple of discs with mixes that were unavailable before. If you dig 6-y.o. discussion about the box In Mono, you'll find that most of the discs came with dedicated mono mix. Aftermath, Between The Buttons and TSMR appeared in mono format for the 1st time. Moreover, BTB contains 3 tracks with unique mono mixes (actually, different sound/edits comparing to known stereo tracks). Beggars Banquet has dedicated mono mix for SFTD. Thus, for those who did not purchase In Mono box in 2016 (or, as a matter of fact, 50th Anniversary deluxes of TSMR and LIBleed) - this is a chance to get mono mixes separately.

Currently, in Europe, these CDs are relatively cheap. Not that cheap as the previous set of 5 SHM-CDs compilations from 70s, but affordable. They are packed nicely and sound good.

Apart of it, SHM-CDs are superior to those (mysterious) colored vinyl in terms of sound quality.

So, you know, glass is half full winking smiley.

BUt but but...these are new stamps for the collection!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 17, 2022 17:54

treaclefingers
ironbelly
bitusa2012
Oh ok. I’ll rephrase your honour. What makes these so special as to make anyone want them, so specifically?

Technically, there are a couple of discs with mixes that were unavailable before. If you dig 6-y.o. discussion about the box In Mono, you'll find that most of the discs came with dedicated mono mix. Aftermath, Between The Buttons and TSMR appeared in mono format for the 1st time. Moreover, BTB contains 3 tracks with unique mono mixes (actually, different sound/edits comparing to known stereo tracks). Beggars Banquet has dedicated mono mix for SFTD. Thus, for those who did not purchase In Mono box in 2016 (or, as a matter of fact, 50th Anniversary deluxes of TSMR and LIBleed) - this is a chance to get mono mixes separately.

Currently, in Europe, these CDs are relatively cheap. Not that cheap as the previous set of 5 SHM-CDs compilations from 70s, but affordable. They are packed nicely and sound good.

Apart of it, SHM-CDs are superior to those (mysterious) colored vinyl in terms of sound quality.

So, you know, glass is half full winking smiley.

BUt but but...these are new stamps for the collection!
Correct!

BTW, there are differences for discs for Japanese market and those they sell as import. I compared those shown in the promo videos from cdjapan (they were showing discs for Japanese market with barcode 4 9880 xxxxx) and those I have in hands from amazon France (barcode 0 18771 xxxxx and with additional letter K in the catalog number). Japanese versions have thicker, probably, 22 pages booklets that include essay in Japanese and lyrics in English and Japanese. The one I got came with 12 page booklet that has only lyrics in English and Japanese. No essay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-17 17:57 by ironbelly.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 17, 2022 18:00

Ah yes. Why I always try and go with the costlier Japanese versions of things!!! Just give me bonus tracks and I'll cough up the $$$ LOL

Date: October 17, 2022 18:21

VoodooLounge13
Ah yes. Why I always try and go with the costlier Japanese versions of things!!! Just give me bonus tracks and I'll cough up the $$$ LOL
In this case the difference only in a couple of pages filled with Japanese text. This is no bonus track. I can not read it anyway. Most of us can't.

But the price from cdjapan (if one counts S&H to EU + EU VAT) would be some 25-30% higher comparing to the one from fnac or local amazon.

It is weird, because previous discs (Hot Rocks, those 5 SHM-CD compilations) came with booklets with essay, but otherwise - no big deal.

Date: October 17, 2022 20:26

True, but even the quality of the cases are usually better with the Japanese releases.

What are these 5 SHM CD releases you're referencing?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 17, 2022 20:40

VoodooLounge13

5 Japanese Singles re-released as 7" cardboard-sleeve SHM-CD, 30-Jun-2021 - [iorr.org] .

Date: October 17, 2022 20:42

Irix
VoodooLounge13

5 Japanese Singles re-released as 7" cardboard-sleeve SHM-CD, 30-Jun-2021 - [iorr.org] .

Oh OK. I don't consider those compilations, but I do have those!!! Those were nice!!

Date: October 17, 2022 20:45

VoodooLounge13
True, but even the quality of the cases are usually better with the Japanese releases.

1 Sticky Fingers (Spanish version) [1971] [UICY-78937]
2 Made in the Shade [1975] [UICY-78938]
3 Time Waits for No One: Anthology 1971-1977 [1979] [UICY-78939]
4 Sucking in the 70's [1981] [UICY-78940]
5 Rewind 1971-1984 (European version) [1984] [UICY-78941]
They were sold cheap in Europe
[superdeluxeedition.com]
The problem - four out of five discs came with 2009 mastering. Sucking - is 1-to-1 clone of 2005 Virgin.
But these are for 'stamps collectors', so mastering does not matter winking smiley

Date: October 17, 2022 21:00

VoodooLounge13

Oh OK. I don't consider those compilations, but I do have those!!! Those were nice!!

I had read over the word 'compilation' - now I know what you meant. They were released end of 2020 - [iorr.org] .

Date: October 17, 2022 21:56

ironbelly
VoodooLounge13

[superdeluxeedition.com]
The problem - four out of five discs came with 2009 mastering. Sucking - is 1-to-1 clone of 2005 Virgin.
But these are for 'stamps collectors', so mastering does not matter winking smiley

Ah well of these compilations - is Spanish Sticky really one? - I do have the Time one. I bought Spanish too. The others I had already, or at least I have a Rewind, Made, and Sucking. Is Rewind a different tracklist than the US one? I'm guessing due to the fact that it says European. I didn't pick it up because my Stones music is still boxed up and IDK if I have the US one or not. I am ASSUMING it's US because it's on CBS.

Date: October 17, 2022 22:18

VoodooLounge13
Ah well of these compilations - is Spanish Sticky really one? - I do have the Time one. I bought Spanish too. The others I had already, or at least I have a Rewind, Made, and Sucking. Is Rewind a different tracklist than the US one? I'm guessing due to the fact that it says European. I didn't pick it up because my Stones music is still boxed up and IDK if I have the US one or not. I am ASSUMING it's US because it's on CBS.
Rewind, US version

This is original Atlantic release, 1985. CBS has the same track list
Rewind, European version

This is initial Japanese only edition, 1985. With so called 'black triangle'
label
Rewind, new SHM-CD, European version

The same track list as for 'black triangle'. However, came with 2009 mastering.

US track list:
01-Miss You
02-Brown Sugar
03-Undercover Of The Night
04-Start Me Up
05-Tumbling Dice
06-Hang Fire
07-It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It)
08-Emotional Rescue
09-Beast Of Burden
10-Fool To Cry
11-Waiting On A Friend
12-Angie
13-Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

European track list:
01-Brown Sugar
02-Undercover Of The Night
03-Start Me Up
04-Tumbling Dice
05-It's Only Rock'N'Roll
06-She So Cold
07-Miss You
08-Beast Of Burden
09-Fool To Cry
10-Waiting On A Friend
11-Angie
12-Respectable

Date: October 17, 2022 23:06

Ugh. OK now I need to add another item to my collection!!! Thanks for clarifying all of this for me, ironbelly!!!! I best order it up before this one is out of print as well!!!

Date: October 17, 2022 23:17

VoodooLounge13
ironbelly
VoodooLounge13

[superdeluxeedition.com]

Yes, I got them for a great price, 6 euro's with the VAT discount. I think I posted that on the CODE RED thread originally a couple of months ago.

Date: October 19, 2022 18:38

While vinyl guys are guessing about the upcoming shipment of the LP box set here is some info about SHM-CDs.

New SHM-CDs (I have version for the ROW [UICY-79887K] – [UICY-79998K]) are not digital clones to their counterparts from EU or US In Mono box sets (2016).

The difference is in -0.02 dB level shift. Otherwise, tracks stay in sync. Probably, after level adjustment (like replay gain applied) they will cancel out perfectly. But as is - there is a systematic level shift for all discs.

Date: October 19, 2022 18:42

ironbelly
While vinyl guys are guessing about the upcoming shipment of the LP box set here is some info about SHM-CDs.

New SHM-CDs (I have version for the ROW [UICY-79887K] – [UICY-79998K]) are not digital clones to their counterparts from EU or US In Mono box sets (2016).

The difference is in -0.02 dB level shift. Otherwise, tracks stay in sync. Probably, after level adjustment (like replay gain applied) they will cancel out perfectly. But as is - there is a systematic level shift for all discs.

So...to translate...for "stamp collector's only" or is there a compelling reason more than, "oh they are sure pretty, look at those lovely replica OBI's!".

Date: October 19, 2022 18:50

treaclefingers
ironbelly

So...to translate...for "stamp collector's only" or is there a compelling reason more than, "oh they are sure pretty, look at those lovely replica OBI's!".
Unless you have an extremely sharp hearing and very good audio - the new set is for stamps collectors only.

Date: October 19, 2022 18:52

ironbelly
treaclefingers
ironbelly

Unless you have an extremely sharp hearing and very good audio - the new set is for stamps collectors only.

Then they shall remain unopened, unlicked stamps, to be admired and appreciated by all those stones aficionados that enjoy such things in my life, which is effectively just me.

Date: October 19, 2022 19:02

treaclefingers
ironbelly
treaclefingers
ironbelly

Then they shall remain unopened, unlicked stamps, to be admired and appreciated by all those stones aficionados that enjoy such things in my life, which is effectively just me.
Exactly!
Unless you would like to touch/lick that e-type glossy finish that is applied for the front covers of the UK albums and Let It Bleed winking smiley. The US albums do not have that.

Date: October 19, 2022 19:13

ironbelly
treaclefingers
ironbelly
treaclefingers
ironbelly

Exactly!
Unless you would like to touch/lick that e-type glossy finish that is applied for the front covers of the UK albums and Let It Bleed winking smiley. The US albums do not have that.

OK stop, I'm getting all tingly.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 19, 2022 20:08

ironbelly

Thanks for this info, grandmaster. smiling smiley

Date: October 19, 2022 20:35

ironbelly

The difference is in -0.02 dB level shift. Otherwise, tracks stay in sync.

Isn't this just the 'CD manufacturing plant' effect?

Date: October 19, 2022 20:35

jpc.de has both versions of the 12 Japanese Mono SHM-CDs - the Rest-Of-World (ROW) version (€19.99) as well as the version for Japan (€33.99). For instance Beggars Banquet :

Barcode 0018771211129 - [www.jpc.de] , Barcode 4988031511367 - [www.jpc.de] .

Date: October 19, 2022 20:48

Irix
jpc.de has both versions of the 12 Japanese Mono SHM-CDs - the Rest-Of-World (ROW) version (€19.99) as well as the version for Japan (€33.99). For instance Beggars Banquet :

Barcode 0018771211129 - [www.jpc.de] , Barcode 4988031511367 - [www.jpc.de] .
And the differences are:
For Japanese version you'll get 'New Music Fridays' sticker on the outer shrink and a booklet that contains essay in Japanese and lyrics in English and Japanese.
For the ROW version you will not get 'New Music Fridays' sticker on the outer shrink and a booklet that contains only lyrics in English and Japanese, no essay.
The rest will be exactly the same. Well, other than the barcode on the OBI. Barcode will be different too.

Date: October 19, 2022 20:50

Irix
ironbelly

The difference is in -0.02 dB level shift. Otherwise, tracks stay in sync.

Isn't this just the 'CD manufacturing plant' effect?
Yes. Probably, effect of 'zero level'.
Funny enough, previous The Rolling Stones and The Rolling Stones No.2 from 2020 do not have this shift, they are digital clones to 2016 editions.

Date: October 20, 2022 09:12

What are we, 24 hours from having our amazon orders cancelled?

I can't wait!

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: October 20, 2022 13:32

According to Amazon it comes out tomorrow

Date: October 20, 2022 13:45

mick64

But there's still no official announcement by Abkco.

Date: October 20, 2022 13:49

mick64

This is what i see:

Date: October 20, 2022 14:44

UrbanSteel
mick64

This is what i see:

Amazon Spain still has it listed at 292,32€ and sent me a reminder/suggestion to order it this morning.
[www.amazon.es]
Sure, this could be a bug of artificial intellect that analyzed my previous searches.

Anyway, vinyl collectors must suffer winking smiley.

Date: October 20, 2022 15:14

ironbelly

Sure, this could be a bug of artificial intellect that analyzed my previous searches.

Anyway, vinyl collectors must suffer winking smiley.

I know, my order is still on Amazon.es, but I have patience. winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home