Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 21
Re: Stones in Mono to be Re-Released???
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 29, 2022 18:48

treaclefingers
ironbelly
Strangely enough those recent 12 SHM-CDs are at amazon Canada but not at amazon US.
I wonder if ABKCO took over US market solely.

Damn you!
I just bought Let it Bleed, even though I promised myself I wasn't going down the OBI rabbit hole.
1 down, 11 to go winking smiley.
You can always cancel that pre-order. In any case - Let It Bleed is a simple fold-down from stereo version.

BTW, I tested regular CD from European In Mono box and mono SACD-hybrid from 50th Anniversary box using different audio tools. Although, they look amazingly similar, in terms of peak levels and equalization choices, in fact they are not one-to-one clones. There is a bit of 'digital moss' ~ 0.01 dB if one will compare tracks from these CDs. Waveforms are marginally different. Guess, the 'pressing plant issue' came to play. On the other hand, you'll need to have really good ears to hear the difference.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 29, 2022 18:55

ironbelly
treaclefingers
ironbelly
Strangely enough those recent 12 SHM-CDs are at amazon Canada but not at amazon US.
I wonder if ABKCO took over US market solely.

Damn you!
I just bought Let it Bleed, even though I promised myself I wasn't going down the OBI rabbit hole.
1 down, 11 to go winking smiley.
You can always cancel that pre-order. In any case - Let It Bleed is a simple fold-down from stereo version.

BTW, I tested regular CD from European In Mono box and mono SACD-hybrid from 50th Anniversary box using different audio tools. Although, they look amazingly similar, in terms of peak levels and equalization choices, in fact they are not one-to-one clones. There is a bit of 'digital moss' ~ 0.01 dB if one will compare tracks from these CDs. Waveforms are marginally different. Guess, the 'pressing plant issue' came to play. On the other hand, you'll need to have really good ears to hear the difference.

I have both but cannot hear the difference. As well, I don't have an actual SACD player though the Sony Blu-Ray I have can play SACD.

Here's the rub though...I have no idea when I'm listening through the Sony whether it's accessing the SACD or regular CD layer, and not sure how I would ever find out. Oh well!

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: August 31, 2022 21:38

ABKCO does not know the characteristics of the box they told me by email at the moment and there are websites that know or are lying or making it up, you have to consult reliable sources

Date: August 31, 2022 22:44

mick64
ABKCO does not know the characteristics of the box they told me by email at the moment and there are websites that know or are lying or making it up, you have to consult reliable sources

That's probably quite true but on the other hand they are not going to give away anything to you because that's the official line.

The rumour that 'coloured vinyl' versions of the 2016 box was what was leaked...it will be interesting to see if that bears out.

Date: September 9, 2022 01:39

Meanwhile the first two albums The Rolling Stones [UICY-79332] and The Rolling Stones No.2 [UICY-79333] are still available in Japan. They were issued on December 2, 2020.
I must admit that both are packed very well (although, they came in 5" but not 7" sleeves). They are superior and more fancy comparing to the discs from EU box.
Both discs are packed with similar extras
- outer resealable plastic sleeve
- 5” paper sleeve replica of the album cover. This sleeve is thicker comparing the sleeves from EU or US In Mono boxes because it accommodates additional booklet. It is also of better quality. Seems that the front cover was not cropped as they did for CDs from US and EU boxes In Mono. The front page is covered with some glossy material (kind of laminated). It is not just ‘bare’ paper sleeve. Also, the sleeve has flip back. Like original LP sleeve but not a kind of a card with printed back cover that is glued atop of the back side of the sleeve.
- a replica of the inner sleeve. This is just a simple white sleeve with catalog number printed in small font in the corner.
- booklet with commentary (in Japanese) and lyrics in English and Japanese, 16 pages, black and white.
- SHM-CD in protective plastic sleeve.
- OBI for the series.
- a replica of the wrap-OBI that was used for the 1st Japanese LP.
Digitally these SHM-CDs are completely bit-by-bit identical to their counterparts from Japanese box In Mono.

The Rolling Stones [UICY-79332]

The Rolling Stones No.2 [UICY-79333]

Apparently, these will not be re-released again because they added a note in the description of the 12 discs in this mono series at the Universal Japan web site that 'the 1st and the 2nd UK albums were released on December 2, 2020'.

Hope new discs will be packed with similar care.

Date: September 9, 2022 01:55

ironbelly
Meanwhile the first two albums The Rolling Stones [UICY-79332] and The Rolling Stones No.2 [UICY-79333] are still available in Japan. They were issued on December 2, 2020.
I must admit that both are packed very well (although, they came in 5" but not 7" sleeves). They are superior and more fancy comparing to the discs from EU box.
Both discs are packed with similar extras
- outer resealable plastic sleeve
- 5” paper sleeve replica of the album cover. This sleeve is thicker comparing the sleeves from EU or US In Mono boxes because it accommodates additional booklet. It is also of better quality. Seems that the front cover was not cropped as they did for CDs from US and EU boxes In Mono. The front page is covered with some glossy material (kind of laminated). It is not just ‘bare’ paper sleeve. Also, the sleeve has flip back. Like original LP sleeve but not a kind of a card with printed back cover that is glued atop of the back side of the sleeve.
- a replica of the inner sleeve. This is just a simple white sleeve with catalog number printed in small font in the corner.
- booklet with commentary (in Japanese) and lyrics in English and Japanese, 16 pages, black and white.
- SHM-CD in protective plastic sleeve.
- OBI for the series.
- a replica of the wrap-OBI that was used for the 1st Japanese LP.
Digitally these SHM-CDs are completely bit-by-bit identical to their counterparts from Japanese box In Mono.

The Rolling Stones [UICY-79332]

The Rolling Stones No.2 [UICY-79333]

Apparently, these will not be re-released again because they added a note in the description of the 12 discs in this mono series at the Universal Japan web site that 'the 1st and the 2nd UK albums were released on December 2, 2020'.

Hope new discs will be packed with similar care.

They look great. Sonically not any different to the MONO box set though?

Just wondering if these may be like 'postage stamps', collectible for their looks but adding nothing else new?

smoking smiley

Date: September 9, 2022 02:05

treaclefingers

Just wondering if these may be like 'postage stamps', collectible for their looks but adding nothing else new?

smoking smiley
Sonically - no difference with discs from In Mono box. I even made a stupid trick and subtract tracks from these CDs and their counterparts from In Mono box using audio editor. They cancel out perfectly, absolute zero residual signal after subtraction.

Yes, these are candidates for 'stamps collection'. Well, like the majority of Japanese limited editions in mini vinyl sleeves. If you need a real deal, you should head for flea market and try to catch those old West German London CDs in heavy plastic smooth-sided jewel cases winking smiley.

Date: September 9, 2022 02:47

ironbelly
treaclefingers

smoking smiley
Sonically - no difference with discs from In Mono box. I even made a stupid trick and subtract tracks from these CDs and their counterparts from In Mono box using audio editor. They cancel out perfectly, absolute zero residual signal after subtraction.

Yes, these are candidates for 'stamps collection'. Well, like the majority of Japanese limited editions in mini vinyl sleeves. If you need a real deal, you should head for flea market and try to catch those old West German London CDs in heavy plastic smooth-sided jewel cases winking smiley.

You know, those West German ones I've never collected. I should though but my zeal to collect those 'hard to find' things has waned...life is busy!

What I really want is the new mono box vinyl. Bonus if it's in colour.

Date: September 15, 2022 06:10

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
stonesstein
filstan
If the mono box set is to be repressed on colored or clear vinyl so be it. It's all rumor at this point, although Amazon was taking orders for awhile earlier this year. I purchased this box set of records for the music. Whether the price goes up or down is of no concern to me. If more people get access to this fantastic sounding music I think it is a good thing assuming the quality would be same as the first 10,000 that were pressed on 180 gram black vinyl. It wouldn't hurt to place a pre-order if it is possible. All I can say is this mono vinyl box set sounds absolutely terrific, and for those with pretty decent or high quality audio components in their homes it is a real treat to spin these albums at volume. Sure, the artwork could have been done better with some of the albums, but it is the sound that matters most to me. Let's see what comes of this.

I think I am buying what this cat is selling.

I bought one back in 2016 with all of the singles, and it simply rocks out f&%$ing loud! If you have not yet gotten it, pray that it is reissued, because it's worth every bit of what it will cost you!

hmmm....I preordered this and when I go to my order at amazon.co.uk I get this page:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

So while the order hasn't been cancelled, you also cannot order it any more. Presume they'll cancel the order at some point.

While mine has that same error if I try and click on the details of the order, mine also says arriving November 7th? Does yours??

Missed this question...mine says:

Arriving 31 October - 4 November

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: September 15, 2022 07:29

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
stonesstein
filstan
If the mono box set is to be repressed on colored or clear vinyl so be it. It's all rumor at this point, although Amazon was taking orders for awhile earlier this year. I purchased this box set of records for the music. Whether the price goes up or down is of no concern to me. If more people get access to this fantastic sounding music I think it is a good thing assuming the quality would be same as the first 10,000 that were pressed on 180 gram black vinyl. It wouldn't hurt to place a pre-order if it is possible. All I can say is this mono vinyl box set sounds absolutely terrific, and for those with pretty decent or high quality audio components in their homes it is a real treat to spin these albums at volume. Sure, the artwork could have been done better with some of the albums, but it is the sound that matters most to me. Let's see what comes of this.

I think I am buying what this cat is selling.

I bought one back in 2016 with all of the singles, and it simply rocks out f&%$ing loud! If you have not yet gotten it, pray that it is reissued, because it's worth every bit of what it will cost you!

hmmm....I preordered this and when I go to my order at amazon.co.uk I get this page:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

So while the order hasn't been cancelled, you also cannot order it any more. Presume they'll cancel the order at some point.

While mine has that same error if I try and click on the details of the order, mine also says arriving November 7th? Does yours??

Missed this question...mine says:

Arriving 31 October - 4 November

I ordered on Amazon.es and it will arrive between 28 and 31 October. And you can still order it. So nothing has changed…

Date: September 15, 2022 15:36

They adjusted prices for SHM-CDs pre-order.
Now at amazon those discs are within 20-26€€ range. Still nothing on the US side.
Apparently, the cheapest option now is on fnac.com - 16.99€

Posted by: balders ()
Date: September 15, 2022 18:08

can you supply the link to order please- I cannot find it.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 15, 2022 18:25

balders

can you supply the link to order please

[www.Amazon.es] - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 15, 2022 18:58

treaclefingers
ironbelly
treaclefingers

smoking smiley

You know, those West German ones I've never collected. I should though but my zeal to collect those 'hard to find' things has waned...life is busy!

not that hard to find

i got aftermath and let it bleed at a tacoma, wa record shop last year for $15 each

and they sound fantastic my new go to versions for those albums

thanks ironbelly again for recommending these

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-15 19:00 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: September 19, 2022 00:08

The deed is done. I've ordered the SHM's off Amazon.fr.

At 14 Euros after VAT is removed I couldn't see getting them any other time than now at release as I think the price will blow up. Incidentally the price is less than half what I'd be paying on Amazon.ca. Ridiculous.

I still have time for sober second thought to pull the plug.

Date: October 2, 2022 15:38

Are the vinyls in the box black or colored?

Date: October 2, 2022 17:35

mick64
Are the vinyls in the box black or colored?

The question a number of people would like the answer to, and with 19 days until the supposed release date there is no info other than a cryptic listing on places such as WHS online and amazon.es and amazon.co.uk (which subsequently disappeared).

Something is happening it seems but as we get closer to the supposed release date I can't be shocked if this gets bumped back, and when/if it does maybe it will be with some definitive info.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 2, 2022 17:39

Either they’re black vinyl and they don’t want you to know it, or they’re color and you missed the opportunity. Welcome to modern life.

Date: October 2, 2022 17:54

frankotero
Either they’re black vinyl and they don’t want you to know it, or they’re color and you missed the opportunity. Welcome to modern life.

I think they'll still be available once they officially announce but I think you'll have to move quickly. Given how much the original set is now worth there's a lot of demand and people don't want to 'miss the boat' this time around, coloured vinyl or not!

Date: October 2, 2022 18:18

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-02 20:04 by treaclefingers.

Date: October 7, 2022 18:08

because there is no information about this box or hardly a product that is sold for example on Amazon they are afraid of not being sold or I don't understand it or there is a lot of demand no idea

Date: October 7, 2022 18:23

mick64
because there is no information about this box or hardly a product that is sold for example on Amazon they are afraid of not being sold or I don't understand it or there is a lot of demand no idea

Reading that sentence without punctuation is probably the closest to describing my emotions on this subject right now. Or something.

Date: October 8, 2022 17:04

if anyone has the Stones in mono box of the 2016 edition on repeated black vinyl and would like to exchange it for the edition in color of 2022 I am willing to change I buy another color to change them

Date: October 11, 2022 03:34

mick64
if anyone has the Stones in mono box of the 2016 edition on repeated black vinyl and would like to exchange it for the edition in color of 2022 I am willing to change I buy another color to change them

So let me get this straight, you'd be willing to trade your forthcoming box set worth $350, for the original one worth $2000? Seems like a compelling deal.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 11, 2022 03:39

Ya can buy alotta food dye with $1650 .......

ROCKMAN

Date: October 11, 2022 04:04

Rockman
Ya can buy alotta food dye with $1650 .......

You are completely following my logic!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 11, 2022 07:30

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ironbelly
treaclefingers

smoking smiley

not that hard to find

i got aftermath and let it bleed at a tacoma, wa record shop last year for $15 each

LIB sounds better than the 50th anniversary edition?? Or Abkco’s re-release?

Date: October 11, 2022 07:54

How many versions of the original Boxset were there? 3? UK, US, and Japan? And do they all go for $2K now? I can get a US version for $500 assuming they have it in stock. But the release date is what throws me as I thought it came out in ‘16 and this one is January of ‘17. Still might pull the trigger on it.

Date: October 11, 2022 11:30

VoodooLounge13
ProfessorWolf
not that hard to find

LIB sounds better than the 50th anniversary edition?? Or Abkco’s re-release?
Original London CD [820 052-2] is less compressed and less polished comparing to 2002 and 2019 editions. It was made really well from the start. Let's call it old school mastering that is very close to flat transfer (or true 'flat transfer of the master tape' if you believe in that semi criminal story of undercover activities at Mobile Fidelity sound Lab facility). However, there is also some bleedthrough for left-right channels that is not present for later reissues. 2002 reissue was made from better tape transfer, tape defects were mostly cleaned and stereo separation between channels is sharp. But some might found the sound is sterile. 50th Anniversary edition is even more compressed and loud. Well, this is a matter of taste.

VoodooLounge13
How many versions of the original Boxset were there? 3? UK, US, and Japan? And do they all go for $2K now? I can get a US version for $500 assuming they have it in stock. But the release date is what throws me as I thought it came out in ‘16 and this one is January of ‘17. Still might pull the trigger on it.
There were three (3) official versions of CD box: USA (5" covers), Europe (5" covers) and Japan (SHM-CD, 7" covers). Apart of those there were at least three (3) counterfeit Chinese versions of USA and/or EU box.
There was only one (1) issue of vinyl box (total number of copies 10000 for the whole world).
Original vinyl box is priced rather high these days. Well, Japanese SHM-CD box is not cheap too. $2k for vinyl box is rather unfair crooks price. CD boxes are cheaper (taking into account the number of Chinese fakes on the market). For $500 it must be Japanese SHM-CDs box with big chunk of extra money to the seller. Originally it was 32000Yen in Japan (appr. $220 before shipping and taxes). So you should ask first.

Date: October 11, 2022 15:15

Oh WOW!!! I didn't realize that the Japanese version was 7"!! Man, I'd love to get my hands on one of those, and have all the early albums in 7" size!!!! The 7" versions of the 50th they did for Satanic, LIB, and BB I absolutely love!!! Same for the Japanese only singles. Well, the site says it's the US version, but it also says it's vinyl...

And thanks for the clarification on the mastering of LIB. I guess it's all in what one prefers. I remember when those Abkco releases came out, i was blown away! I got rid of all of my original CD versions of the Abkco catalog because everything released was head and shoulders above them all, sound wise.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1537
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home