Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021
Current Page: 21 of 21
Re: Hyde Park #1 London UK 25-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 30, 2022 21:30

yeababyyea
MadMetaphoricalMax
yeababyyea
keefriffhards
laertisflash
I wasn't there, but judging by clips it sounds like another strong gig.

A particular question, for folks who discovered Keith's "@#$%& Up" (I don't know how many) on CYHMK: would you like to post any song's clip you consider as the clearest and to check the time of those "@#$%& up"? Just curious...

That's news to me, what Keith @#$%& up on CYHMK, do you mean Ronnies solo, that was a complete @#$%& up from start to finish.

The intro is messed up, the riff doesn't go like that. But it's Keith's song so I guess he can play it however he wants to.

There weren't any @#$%& ups on CYHMK. It goes the way it goes, it's Keith's riff, he can do what the @#$%& hell he wants with it. It's not exactly the same as what went down in a studio 50 years ago among young men in their twenties, but it's still clearly CYHMK, and not one person on here has the authority to dictate how it should go - although maybe the board's moaners should hire a royal park or stadium at great expense, invite 50,000 people to pay a couple of hundred+ each and then climb up on stage and play it to the masses 'the way it should be played'. Good luck with that.
Nor was it a jam - it's a song that wrapped up in five minutes or so because that's how the artists who created it wanted to do it this time around, to the best of their current ability.

Listen to the first minute of the song, plenty of mistakes from Keith there, with Ronnie filling in to hold the song together. Keith's accuracy and timing is poor if judged objetively, but if we keep in mind he's 78 with arthritis it's pretty good.

I just don't understand what you want from a Stones show, that intro from Keith was exciting, he didn't mess up or hit bum notes, it's more than most expected from him given the state of his fingers, Ronnie didn't fill in anything for him, Ronnie wasn't even playing during that intro he didn't need to fill in for Keith he just played his part when it was time for him to play after the intro.
The hate for Keith on here is shocking, give the guy a break man, he's straight and sober and doing the best he can.
It's cool to comment and have a valid opinion that's honest but this is something different to that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-01 12:47 by keefriffhards.

Re: Hyde Park #1 London UK 25-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 30, 2022 22:09

powerage78
The fondations of the Stones, the unique base, are Mick and Keith.
I'm convinced that both of them would continue to play under the "Rolling Stones brand" without Ronnie.

Unfortunately probably true just as they continue to play under the "Rolling Stones" brand without Charlie...for better or worse, the show must go on.
I'd go so far as to say if Ronnie needed a break mid-tour for whatever reason, they would quickly find someone to fill his shoes - just as they did with Sasha.
ZZ Top did the same when bassist Dusty Hill fell ill two shows in to a tour. According to Billy Gibbons "Dusty emphatically grabbed my arm and said, 'Give Elwood the bottom end, and take it to the Top"'. > Dusty
Unfortunately Dusty passed away before he could make a return, but the band continues to this day with former guitar tech Elwood Francis on bass, along with a new tour and album on the horizon...

Date: June 30, 2022 22:14

yeababyyea
MadMetaphoricalMax
yeababyyea
keefriffhards
laertisflash
I wasn't there, but judging by clips it sounds like another strong gig.

A particular question, for folks who discovered Keith's "@#$%& Up" (I don't know how many) on CYHMK: would you like to post any song's clip you consider as the clearest and to check the time of those "@#$%& up"? Just curious...

That's news to me, what Keith @#$%& up on CYHMK, do you mean Ronnies solo, that was a complete @#$%& up from start to finish.

The intro is messed up, the riff doesn't go like that. But it's Keith's song so I guess he can play it however he wants to.

There weren't any @#$%& ups on CYHMK. It goes the way it goes, it's Keith's riff, he can do what the @#$%& hell he wants with it. It's not exactly the same as what went down in a studio 50 years ago among young men in their twenties, but it's still clearly CYHMK, and not one person on here has the authority to dictate how it should go - although maybe the board's moaners should hire a royal park or stadium at great expense, invite 50,000 people to pay a couple of hundred+ each and then climb up on stage and play it to the masses 'the way it should be played'. Good luck with that.
Nor was it a jam - it's a song that wrapped up in five minutes or so because that's how the artists who created it wanted to do it this time around, to the best of their current ability.

Listen to the first minute of the song, plenty of mistakes from Keith there, with Ronnie filling in to hold the song together. Keith's accuracy and timing is poor if judged objetively, but if we keep in mind he's 78 with arthritis it's pretty good.

That is wrong. The first 'mistake' he does is playing a G for a millisecond after 'yeah, you got satin shoes'. However, as D and G harmonise, it merely gives the D-chord a 'sus-effect'. Can't really see your beef with his accuracy on the intro. Try earlier versions...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-30 22:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 30, 2022 22:34

A friend of mine contacted Covid after attending the Hyde Park show - he's doing OK now, but hopefully not many more are in the same boat.

Date: June 30, 2022 22:43

You mean your friend caught a cold at Hyde Park, this is the new normal now thank God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-01 09:57 by keefriffhards.

Date: June 30, 2022 23:03

No - I meant what I wrote.
It was not just "a cold", and it's nothing to downplay or make light of.

Date: July 1, 2022 01:35

Hairball

Oh sorry Hairball, hope your friend gets well soon, i really thought covid had passed into something less worrisome by now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-01 09:50 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: July 1, 2022 02:58

keefriffhards
Hairball

Oh sorry Hairball, my mistake, hope your friend gets well soon and others that may have caught it at the show, i really thought covid had passed into something less worrisome by now.

Covid is a form of cold/flu. The variant that was prominent and caused the flu epidemic in 1918 onwards is now a part of the annual "flu season" albeit with a few variants.

Does anyone remember the flu epidemic in 1989?

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 1, 2022 03:18

Don’t waste your time. Covid arguments get shut down. Back to the topic at hand gentlemen/ladies.

Date: July 1, 2022 03:52

Yeah...back to debating the classic Can't You Hear Me Knockin' which comes off as a shortened mockery now imo.
Imagine if they did something as sacrilege with Midnight Rambler? Cut out the jam...it's unnecessary! WTF? Miss You would be understandable if they shortened it - who needs a lousy bass solo anyways.
But when they alter/destroy the original Can't You Hear Me Knockin' by shortening it, hyphenating it, and ultimately castrating it, it comes across as a Vegas band revue playing mini-snippets of their catalogue.
If they're going to play the tune, play the whole damn tune the way it was intended. Even without Charlie, Bobby, and Mick Taylor... it's a tune that demands a lengthy improv. Lousy solos, warts and all....

edit:typo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-01 05:10 by Hairball.

Date: July 1, 2022 13:33

When they started up CYHMK, it sounded great, it focused every set of ears there, and kept em focused. It was really good to hear at the time, It may not repay repeated listening as a recording on a phone in a crosswind in a park, which make it very different from what was recorded in a studio 50 years ago, but WTF.
A big hand, please, for the sour negativity and hatred for a band this board is about. 'Vegas band revue playing mini snippets' for god's sake! Still "IMO" is the only banner that matters!

Date: July 1, 2022 13:45

Don't take the bait, Max smiling smiley

Date: July 1, 2022 21:35

MadMetaphoricalMax
When they started up CYHMK, it sounded great, it focused every set of ears there, and kept em focused. It was really good to hear at the time, It may not repay repeated listening as a recording on a phone in a crosswind in a park, which make it very different from what was recorded in a studio 50 years ago, but WTF.
A big hand, please, for the sour negativity and hatred for a band this board is about. 'Vegas band revue playing mini snippets' for god's sake! Still "IMO" is the only banner that matters!

Yeah Max it's times like these when the haters show up and reveal themselves, i got upset yesterday with the negative comments but at the end of the day in their hearts they know at nearly 80 years of age Mick and Keith are kicking serious ass, and no one, myself included expected this level of power and energy from their shows.
I just had the miss fortune to watch McCartney at Glasto for nearly 3 hours, there was no comparison, Paul was OK but the voice was an old mans voice, Mick is still Mick, he still has plenty of punch and their songs Mick and Keith play excite the audience in a way Paul can't and never could.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-02 01:50 by keefriffhards.

Re: ODD CYHMK at Hyde Park
Date: July 2, 2022 00:18

MelBelli
erad
It was pretty good, but Ronnie's solo let it down, it was pretty directionless and pretty sloppy. Just compare it to MT at Glastonbury in 2013, not even in the same ballpark. Even compared to his own solo in 2015 at the Fonda.

Ronnie's style of playing is much more suited to the type of solo he plays on MR.

I wish there was an emoji for “blue in the face,” but I’ll keep saying it. Both Keith and Ronnie’s signals are too dry. They simplified their setup beginning in 2012 (I’m guessing because modern PA systems have gotten so much better).

Ronnie’s technique isn’t what it used to be, but he’s not far off. It’s that his tone is unforgiving. Go listen to him on “Undercover” or “Miss You” in Atlantic City ‘89. There was more grease in the signal chain; hence his playing was effortless.

"More grease in the signal chain"....Man, do I love that writing. I am going to start using that in everyday life. "you need some more grease in the signal chain, Bro"

Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: July 2, 2022 00:33

keefriffhards
MadMetaphoricalMax

Yeah Max it's times like these when the haters show up and reveal themselves, i got upset yeasterday with the negative comments but at the end of the day in their hearts they know at nearly 80 years of age Mick and keith are kissing serious ass, and no one, myself included expected this level of power and energy from their shows.
I just had the miss fortune to watch McCartney at Glasto for nearly 3 hours, there was no comparison, Paul was OK but the voice was an old mans voice, Mick is still Mick, he still has plenty of punch and their songs Mick and Keith play excite the audience in a way Paul can't and never could.

I really (desperately in fact…) hope you meant to say “kicking”…

Date: July 2, 2022 01:49

deeeskannnie
keefriffhards
MadMetaphoricalMax

Yeah Max it's times like these when the haters show up and reveal themselves, i got upset yeasterday with the negative comments but at the end of the day in their hearts they know at nearly 80 years of age Mick and keith are KICKING serious ass, and no one, myself included expected this level of power and energy from their shows.

I really (desperately in fact…) hope you meant to say “kicking”…

Oh shit, thanks for pointing that out thumbs up
Corrected.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 5, 2022 11:52

The famous “piano coda” of the second half of the song Layla — arguably the segment that has made the song what it is and so iconic — was not played live until 1983. Clapton played a long, extended guitar solo and then finished the song. And not many fans complained — they just accepted it the way it was.

CYHMK was not my favorite track on Sticky Fingers in the first place. I wasn’t into the jam part that much. Later it grew on me and I can say I like it now. With that personal background, I didn’t bother about the truncated performance at Hyde Park. I even welcomed it! There’s a certain charm in this song-oriented version in its own right.

I feel some people are too obsessed with the original, sticking to it too much. Reminds me of Pavlov’s dog. Kind of classical conditioning.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 5, 2022 12:56

RisingStone
I feel some people are too obsessed with the original, sticking to it too much. Reminds me of Pavlov’s dog. Kind of classical conditioning.

People who want to hear the original should listen to Sticky Fingers.

In Hyde Park they played The Rolling Stones' 2022 version and it was awesome.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 5, 2022 14:04

RisingStone
The famous “piano coda” of the second half of the song Layla — arguably the segment that has made the song what it is and so iconic — was not played live until 1983. Clapton played a long, extended guitar solo and then finished the song. And not many fans complained — they just accepted it the way it was.

CYHMK was not my favorite track on Sticky Fingers in the first place. I wasn’t into the jam part that much. Later it grew on me and I can say I like it now. With that personal background, I didn’t bother about the truncated performance at Hyde Park. I even welcomed it! There’s a certain charm in this song-oriented version in its own right.

Nobody complains about earlier stage versions of Gimme Shelter without a female singer, or YCAGWYW without a choir, or... You do what you can with what you've got, and I'd like to hear them have another try at CYHMK.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 5, 2022 14:08

Since 2015, I have likely listened more frequently to the version that don't have the jam but a spiralling crescending outro. To me that is even more CYHMK than the Sticky Fingers original ever was. Would like to hear Ron and Keith do that live but easy to predict how it would go down with the crowd here.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021
Current Page: 21 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home