Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 18 of 21
Re: Hyde Park #1 London UK 25-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Torsten ()
Date: June 28, 2022 20:07

As someone who attended HP1, I do not quite get some of the discussions above. Came back home to Germany yesterday and I just want to share how thankful I am that this tour is happening and that I could make it to this show. Easily one of the best out of some 40 I saw to this day. So much energy, joy and love, within the band and between the band and the audience. I had the pleasure to meet many nice people and especially a lovely woman from London In the back of the diamond pit (It was a treat to experience this concert together with you and I would be glad to hear from you). This was my first concert of this tour, five, hopefully six, more to come. Next stop Brussels. Can’t wait for it.

Torsten

Re: Hyde Park #1 London UK 25-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: June 28, 2022 20:11

I’m not saying any of these to be an old man yelling at clouds. I think they’re still plenty capable; they’re just being ill-served by technology. Their set-up is at once too modern and not modern enough. Recall Bruce writing about how he got such a kick out of rehearsing with them in 2012 — “the same amps I had when I was 16.”

Then you take those ultrasimple rigs and put them under the aural microscope, so to speak, of cutting-edge PA systems.

Re: ODD CYHMK at Hyde Park
Date: June 28, 2022 21:37

--====

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 28, 2022 21:39

MelBelli
MelBelli
Justin
MelBelli
erad
It was pretty good, but Ronnie's solo let it down, it was pretty directionless and pretty sloppy. Just compare it to MT at Glastonbury in 2013, not even in the same ballpark. Even compared to his own solo in 2015 at the Fonda.

Ronnie's style of playing is much more suited to the type of solo he plays on MR.

I wish there was an emoji for “blue in the face,” but I’ll keep saying it. Both Keith and Ronnie’s signals are too dry. They simplified their setup beginning in 2012 (I’m guessing because modern PA systems have gotten so much better).

Ronnie’s technique isn’t what it used to be, but he’s not far off. It’s that his tone is unforgiving. Go listen to him on “Undercover” or “Miss You” in Atlantic City ‘89. There was more grease in the signal chain; hence his playing was effortless.

I miss those days when each guitar player's tone really set them apart. Especially miss Ronnie's slithery tone. Remember back in B2B days, he'd have a few different amps back there to choose from, now he's been sticking to those Fender Jumbo amps.

Yup. And, as I speculate above, the reasoning is that you can now get a big, articulate, clean sound out of smaller amps or even no amp at all. But it doesn’t suit them well. It’s great for, say, Paul Simon or Steely Dan, where you want to hear every note in pristine isolation. But the Stones sounded just fine — transcendent, in fact — with an old-fashioned stage blend.

“Slithery” is so perfect. Listen to how he slithers back in at 3:07 here:

[youtu.be]

Nice.
Yeah I miss that guy. It was way easier and enjoyable to listen to the two of them bounce of each other then. Now you have to really squint to find out who's playing what.

But isn't that sort of the effect they're going for? Ronnie beefed up his tone right when the guitar department was getting more and more...mushy.

Date: June 28, 2022 21:41

That said, as for his playing I've found Ronnie to be super tasteful on this tour. Not as crazy as the excited and frantic puppy of years past

Date: June 28, 2022 22:16

powerage78
Nothing to say except for Ronnie's solo, which spoils the whole thing. It was different with Mick Taylor in 2013 at the same place for sure.

I don't understand why people torture themselves by listening to musical interpretations that once were great back in the Sticky Fingers years. At least the solo's. Leave it to the saxophone players. Or hire a session player for one song. Like Jeff Beck or Jimmy Herring for example. They still can play like the old days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-28 22:23 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: rover ()
Date: June 28, 2022 22:24

I was at the show with my wife and two daughters. We all thought it was a fantastic show and loved every minute. Isn't that what is important? All the talk about weak solos, amp setups from 2012 or 1989 or if MT's style was better than Ronnie's is irrelevant. Live in the moment - go to a show and enjoy it without the pointless comparison with the past.

Date: June 28, 2022 22:27

Taylor1
Mathijs
Taylor1
Mathijs
powerage78
Nothing to say except for Ronnie's solo, which spoils the whole thing. It was different with Mick Taylor in 2013 at the same place for sure.

Taylor fluffed all his solo spots in 2013 and 2014. In hindsight, Taylor's appearances just didn't live up to our expectations.

Mathijs
He was great however on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Glastonbury.Keith is awful on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Hyde Park. Mistakes , no sense of rhythm .How you can say Taylor muffed his parts and Keith was great is ridiculous. His solo at Glastonbury was the best on that tour. Even Jagger said it was @#$%& great at the end

Just a load of bollocks. And not even a matter of taste: Taylor's solo at Glastonburry was unrehearsed, full of mistakes, useless noodling: just check youtube.

I was there at Hyde Park -Keith sounded great on CYHMK, rough and dirty, and he simply played very good, better than I had expected from him these days. And the fact that Steven Jordan played it more straightforward actually gave the song a new hook, it made it an interesting new rendition.

Mathijs[/quoteThats ridiculous.Keith’s playing is riddled with mistakes and bum notes despite playing simple guitar.He is hardly playing anything a novice guitarist couldn’t play well. The songs performance is flaccid. The Glastonbury one is “@#$%& great” like Mick said.Check out Charlie’s face during it. Taylor’s solo is beautiful and builds to a great ending.I agree some of his performances were not great on those shows, but we could spend hours discussing why including the small window he was given to warm up and play. One can expect the usual Taylor bashing from you, which is deeply disappointing given how much you claim toknow about guitar playing.And I have heard it on YouTube many times and it’s not riddled with mistakes.Only great.

Have you played CYHMK yourself?

Date: June 28, 2022 22:29

rover
I was at the show with my wife and two daughters. We all thought it was a fantastic show and loved every minute. Isn't that what is important? All the talk about weak solos, amp setups from 2012 or 1989 or if MT's style was better than Ronnie's is irrelevant. Live in the moment - go to a show and enjoy it without the pointless comparison with the past.

Ok. Carlos Santana then, re CYHMK. He stil seems to be relevant winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-28 23:53 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 28, 2022 23:05

A shortened five minute mini-version of CYHMK is a sinful crime in itself, but then to hear it without Charlie Watts, Bobby Keys, and Mick Taylor just adds salt to the wound.
Aside from Keith sounding alright, hard to find anything to truly praise with the latest version. Would prefer they shorten Miss You instead.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 28, 2022 23:44

Christiaan
keefriffhards
Christiaan
My YouTube of
Can’t You Hear Me Knocking? I missed the very first seconds and last 18 seconds due to camera. Uploaded in part 2

The Rolling Stones, Can’t You Hear Me Knocking? Hyde Park, 25-06-2022
[youtu.be]

Such a pity you missed the start of that, probably one of Keith greatest moments in resent history, the sound you recorded was excellent, Thank you so much Christiaan thumbs up

PS. Do you mind telling us what you recorded that on, amazing sound quality.

You’re right it was a great moment, but just put my camera away. I do make just a bit of videos and lot’s of photos on my Canon Powershot SX740HS 40x zoom. But it was a bit cold, so stop for some moments. For this day I used the camera mode. Never did that before. Normally just push the film button. That works better, because now I realized the film was cut in two, camera said film is to long because of 4K. Never had that before. That is why the last 19 seconds were cut off.
The info of the camera is in the YouTube info as wel. Sometimes I use my iPhone 12s or my older camera Sony Cybershot HX60V 30x zoom. The info on YouTube is also for myself to see the diverance in sound of the footage self.

Thanks Christiaan for taking the trouble to explain all that , it really is the best i've seen for video and sound. Cheers thumbs up

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 29, 2022 00:07

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
Mathijs
Taylor1
Mathijs
powerage78

Taylor fluffed all his solo spots in 2013 and 2014. In hindsight, Taylor's appearances just didn't live up to our expectations.

Mathijs
He was great however on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Glastonbury.Keith is awful on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Hyde Park. Mistakes , no sense of rhythm .How you can say Taylor muffed his parts and Keith was great is ridiculous. His solo at Glastonbury was the best on that tour. Even Jagger said it was @#$%& great at the end

Just a load of bollocks. And not even a matter of taste: Taylor's solo at Glastonburry was unrehearsed, full of mistakes, useless noodling: just check youtube.

I was there at Hyde Park -Keith sounded great on CYHMK, rough and dirty, and he simply played very good, better than I had expected from him these days. And the fact that Steven Jordan played it more straightforward actually gave the song a new hook, it made it an interesting new rendition.

Mathijs[/quoteThats ridiculous.Keith’s playing is riddled with mistakes and bum notes despite playing simple guitar.He is hardly playing anything a novice guitarist couldn’t play well. The songs performance is flaccid. The Glastonbury one is “@#$%& great” like Mick said.Check out Charlie’s face during it. Taylor’s solo is beautiful and builds to a great ending.I agree some of his performances were not great on those shows, but we could spend hours discussing why including the small window he was given to warm up and play. One can expect the usual Taylor bashing from you, which is deeply disappointing given how much you claim toknow about guitar playing.And I have heard it on YouTube many times and it’s not riddled with mistakes.Only great.

Have you played CYHMK yourself?
Another irrelevant comment.You are always at your best badmouthing Mick Taylor. It’s not about him anyway.

Date: June 29, 2022 00:41

How has that question anything to do with badmouthing anyone?

Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: June 29, 2022 00:46

DandelionPowderman

Exactly. And, as far as I can tell, Dandeee here has never éver been ‘badmouthing’ anything or anybody here. He keeps on telling it straight; and I hope he continues to do so.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 29, 2022 01:10

Glad I didn't attend the concert, although I had tickets at one point. Seems just to gather bad vibes here. Like everything the Stones do these days. Seriously, I think the people who actually were there had a great time. This 'discussion' group here is something else...

- Doxa

Date: June 29, 2022 01:12

DandelionPowderman

Maybe a spokesman around ? cool smiley

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 29, 2022 01:18

Taylor1
Keith’s playing is riddled with mistakes and bum notes despite playing simple guitar.He is hardly playing anything a novice guitarist couldn’t play well. The songs performance is flaccid.

The basic riffs of CYHMK are easy to play, but to make it sound tight with good timing is a bit more tricky. Keith is not capable of playing it like on the studio version nowadays. Same thing happens with other songs like Rocks Off where his timing and playing is just so clumsy that it doesn't sound very good live anymore.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 29, 2022 01:23

Chiming in to say, I wasn't there, but from the comments from most of the attendees, the reviews, and hearing clips, I surmise the show was one of the great ones.

Hope they keep CYHMK on the tour, in whatever form.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-29 03:27 by angee.

Date: June 29, 2022 01:39

EasterMan

The basic riffs of CYHMK are easy to play, but to make it sound tight with good timing is a bit more tricky. Keith is not capable of playing it like on the studio version nowadays. Same thing happens with other songs like Rocks Off where his timing and playing is just so clumsy that it doesn't sound very good live anymore.

I don't think Keith's basic riffs of CYHMK are easy to play. I never heard an exact copy of it, not even from Keith himself. One of the best riffs Keith came up with, imo. The Stones are getting old and decline, just like Muhammad Ali did. That's only human. Where to draw the line is a personal thing for the fans and the Stones to decide.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: June 29, 2022 03:11

Hairball
A shortened five minute mini-version of CYHMK is a sinful crime in itself, but then to hear it without Charlie Watts, Bobby Keys, and Mick Taylor just adds salt to the wound.
Aside from Keith sounding alright, hard to find anything to truly praise with the latest version. Would prefer they shorten Miss You instead.

while agree with you that cyhmk was a bit off and that charlie is noticeably absent

i think many of these issue can be overcome by them keeping it in the the set, play it to its full length, and just rehearsing it more

it really deserves to have warhorse status in there set

and i don't buy the idea that casual fans don't know or wouldn't enjoy hearing it either

so mick can't really pull out that excuse

as for you comments about miss you i'm all with you here

i don't think miss you should be more then 5 minutes 6 max

and i think compressing it into a shorter presentation while retaining the bass solo and sax solo would just make it more intense and enjoyable

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: June 29, 2022 04:37

Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
No, not at all. Loved it.

When Taylor returned not even he could do the Taylor solo in a way that would satisfy Mathijs. So it was shorter than before.

It was shorter because Jagger wants it shorter. He thinks that the crowd will not like an extended jam.

Mick Ts solo from CYHMK is a great, but simple piece of guitar playing. He most certainly could have played it note for note when he returned, but he did not want that.

Don't pay too much attention to what Mathijs says. I've noticed that he tends to talk out of his arse quite a lot.

Date: June 29, 2022 05:12

Or maybe they can't add yet another huge jam to a set that already has Rambler and an extended encore...? Cutting CYHMK short makes sense not only do they need to conserve their energy, the song's identity lies more now on the first half rather than the jam since Bobby and Charlie are now gone. Keith is really the best part of the song and he carried very well the other night. A highlight!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 29, 2022 09:34

Again it's a discussion so pointless that you can really tell that we have an axe to grind no matter what's going to happen at the shows. It's also funny how some folks come out of the woodwork with merciless assessments only when they sense that the groupthink supports it...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 29, 2022 10:19

TheflyingDutchman
rover

Ok. Carlos Santana then, re CYHMK. He stil seems to be relevant winking smiley

Santana has been playing the same three licks for the last 40 years now. If there is any guitarist that has made no progression whatsoever since 1972 it is Santana.

Mathijs

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 29, 2022 10:20

Let me talk about Cream. People think Cream live was all about long improvisation and jams. It wasn’t. Of their short span of activities, July 1966-November 1968, the period they indulged in fully extended interplay for which the group is largely recognized by the music listeners today is only the second half, August 1967 onwards. Before that, most of the songs they played on stage were rather short, 3-5 minutes long, almost in line with the studio versions. Cream 1966 didn’t play like Cream 1968.
When Cream reunited for the series of shows at the RAH and MSG in 2005, some people complained that they didn’t do long jams. But that’s how they were initially. The Cream Reunion was, as it were, a reversion, back to the form.

There is more than one way music is played. Some folks here — diehard, that is — are obsessed with the original so much they maintain it should be played that way. That’s how I see things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-29 10:27 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 29, 2022 10:25

Taylor1
Thats ridiculous.Keith’s playing is riddled with mistakes and bum notes despite playing simple guitar.He is hardly playing anything a novice guitarist couldn’t play well. The songs performance is flaccid.

There's hardly a thing Keith played in his 60 years career that a novice cannot play. But playing it right is just about impossible.

You are talking out of your arse here. The video is there on Youtube: Keith does not play CYHMN at Hyde Park 'riddled with mistakes and bum notes'. It's just not true. The version may not be of your taste, you may be angry that they are not 25 years old anymore but 78, I do not know what's bugging you exactly, but now you are simply talking total bullshit.

Mathijs

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: June 29, 2022 11:21

Hey, as everyone's complaining I'll throw my two cents in as well.
I could do with a shorter Sympathy For The Devil, I could also do without it too.
When it came back in 1989 it was cool but now it's been 30 years as a staple in the set.
I know the crowd loves to go "ooh ooh" but it kind got old.
Anyway, can't wait to see the show on Sunday, whatever they're gonna play.

Posted by: Angie73 ()
Date: June 29, 2022 11:31

How does anyone come to judge them? If they stood on stage without sound, they would still fill stadiums. No, they are not flawless. But they are the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: June 29, 2022 11:32

Angie73
How does anyone come to judge them? If they stood on stage without sound, they would still fill stadiums. No, they are not flawless. But they are the Rolling Stones.
Church!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 29, 2022 12:08

My pennies worth.

It was great to hear the short version of CYHMK

The Stones put on a really good show , possibly because the London audience demands it, they have seen and heard it all before ( concert going people ) and as a result they are hard work as an audience. Keith even mutters ass holes if you turn the volume up with speakers on his solo set.

Mick and Keith rose to the occasion, Ronnie struggling a bit, sorry but it's true, Ronnie is the weak link this time out, his energy is down from last year and his solo's are poor.

One more thing, Mick Taylor unrehearsed and winging with a hideous migraine is better than Ronnie on his best ever form, there is no argument, but of course Ronnie compliments Keith and fills in all the gaps and is indispensable at this stage, the only replacement for Ronnie if he can't keep going, ( and i suspect this is Ronnie's last tour.) is Waddy.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 18 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home