Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 17 of 21
Re: ODD CYHMK at Hyde Park
Date: June 28, 2022 11:23

Loved it;

what guitar did Keith use ?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 28, 2022 11:23

Why make a new thread?

Posted by: erad ()
Date: June 28, 2022 12:02

It was pretty good, but Ronnie's solo let it down, it was pretty directionless and pretty sloppy. Just compare it to MT at Glastonbury in 2013, not even in the same ballpark. Even compared to his own solo in 2015 at the Fonda.

Ronnie's style of playing is much more suited to the type of solo he plays on MR.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 28, 2022 12:04

I really liked it. Keith's playing was great, his sound was great. Steven Jordan doesn't have the swing of Charlie, and his beat is much more steady, and that made this version more rock than jazzy. Great they played it.

Mathijs

Date: June 28, 2022 12:17

'Anyone else find ...'
No, it was a real surprise, and i was really great! Moving on....

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 28, 2022 12:40

Nothing to say except for Ronnie's solo, which spoils the whole thing. It was different with Mick Taylor in 2013 at the same place for sure.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 28, 2022 12:48

It may be that they kept the solos shorter so they had time for a certain number of songs. Ronnie's solo IMO was pretty good. I think he should throw even more of his own phrases in there. It's the sax solo that IMO was not very inspired. Also surprised that Steve did not do those double hits on the snare after the word 'knockin'. Of all parts it would have been the one I thought he would jump on.
Keith on a Junior.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: June 28, 2022 12:49

It was a delight and surprise to hear it at the show. I didn't mind it being a shortened version. Might have been a time constraint thing with the festival/noise bylaws too.

Date: June 28, 2022 12:49

powerage78
Nothing to say except for Ronnie's solo, which spoils the whole thing. It was different with Mick Taylor in 2013 at the same place for sure.

Taylor fluffed all his solo spots in 2013 and 2014. In hindsight, Taylor's appearances just didn't live up to our expectations.

Mathijs

Date: June 28, 2022 12:51

powerage78

Very different indeed, as they didn't play CYHMK at the same place in 2013 winking smiley

Re: Hyde Park #1 London UK 25-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 28, 2022 13:10

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking was a train wreck.The guitars were very sloppy.Mathijs, any opinion about the guitar playing? To me it’s good they had the background singers to drown them out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-28 13:13 by Taylor1.

Date: June 28, 2022 13:14

Mathijs
powerage78

Taylor fluffed all his solo spots in 2013 and 2014. In hindsight, Taylor's appearances just didn't live up to our expectations.

Mathijs
He was great however on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Glastonbury.Keith is awful on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Hyde Park. Mistakes , no sense of rhythm .How you can say Taylor muffed his parts and Keith was great is ridiculous. His solo at Glastonbury was the best on that tour. Even Jagger said it was @#$%& great at the end

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-28 13:18 by Taylor1.

Re: Hyde Park #1 London UK 25-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Date: June 28, 2022 13:21

Taylor1
Can’t You Hear Me Knocking was a train wreck.The guitars were very sloppy.Mathijs, any opinion about the guitar playing? To me it’s good they had the background singers to drown them out

Absolute RUBBISH. What are you listening to? What do you think a train wreck SOUNDs like? Nothing like CYHMK on Saturday.

Date: June 28, 2022 13:31

MadMetaphoricalMax
Taylor1

Absolute RUBBISH. What are you listening to? What do you think a train wreck SOUNDs like? Nothing like CYHMK on Saturday.
Really? You don’t hear all the mistakes the guitars are making throughout the song.?

Date: June 28, 2022 13:37

MadMetaphoricalMax
Taylor1

The guitarists make all kinds of mistakes. The rhythm is off

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 28, 2022 14:01

Didn't like Taylor's playing on CYHMK in 2013 either. Sounded like sloppy noodling through scales to me. He had lost much of his fluidity and ability to play in time.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 28, 2022 14:04

More reports and pictures added to the IORR editorial pages, including the below photo, taken by Jan Veeken:

The Rolling Stones
Hyde Park #1
London UK
Saturday June 25, 2022

Bjornulf

Date: June 28, 2022 14:43

Taylor1
MadMetaphoricalMax
Taylor1

The guitarists make all kinds of mistakes. The rhythm is off

I really enjoyed it when I was there and it was happening right in front of me, and it still sounds good on youtube. The rhythm isnt off, it's alive. It's not a note for note reproduction, it's living and it's live.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: June 28, 2022 15:04

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: June 28, 2022 15:21

erad
It was pretty good, but Ronnie's solo let it down, it was pretty directionless and pretty sloppy. Just compare it to MT at Glastonbury in 2013, not even in the same ballpark. Even compared to his own solo in 2015 at the Fonda.

Ronnie's style of playing is much more suited to the type of solo he plays on MR.

I wish there was an emoji for “blue in the face,” but I’ll keep saying it. Both Keith and Ronnie’s signals are too dry. They simplified their setup beginning in 2012 (I’m guessing because modern PA systems have gotten so much better).

Ronnie’s technique isn’t what it used to be, but he’s not far off. It’s that his tone is unforgiving. Go listen to him on “Undercover” or “Miss You” in Atlantic City ‘89. There was more grease in the signal chain; hence his playing was effortless.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 28, 2022 15:47

The good 33 years old argument grinning smiley(but never a trace in any review at the time) to say that it is better today. And that applies to Keith, obviously. You are lawyers of the band here, not only fans. spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmoking smiley

It must be exhausting grinning smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-28 15:57 by powerage78.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 28, 2022 16:04

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Loved it;

what guitar did Keith use ?

He played a Sunburst Les Paul Junior (Possibly a '57 - if you're into the sort of detail!) - and it sounded filthy.

And for those asking about the hug at the end. Keith played an extra stab on the guitar after everyone else had finished (not unusual). Steve Jordan seemed to find it funny from what I could see (from a very good spot in the Gold section). And I think there was some exchange between Mick & Keith about that which resulted in a lovely hug. A nice moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-28 16:07 by Roll73.

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: June 28, 2022 16:17

Out Of Time

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-28 19:13 by dimrstone.

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: June 28, 2022 17:01

Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-28 19:13 by dimrstone.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 28, 2022 18:51

MelBelli
erad

I wish there was an emoji for “blue in the face,” but I’ll keep saying it. Both Keith and Ronnie’s signals are too dry. They simplified their setup beginning in 2012 (I’m guessing because modern PA systems have gotten so much better).

Ronnie’s technique isn’t what it used to be, but he’s not far off. It’s that his tone is unforgiving. Go listen to him on “Undercover” or “Miss You” in Atlantic City ‘89. There was more grease in the signal chain; hence his playing was effortless.

I miss those days when each guitar player's tone really set them apart. Especially miss Ronnie's slithery tone. Remember back in B2B days, he'd have a few different amps back there to choose from, now he's been sticking to those Fender Jumbo amps.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 28, 2022 19:01

DandelionPowderman
No, not at all. Loved it.

Second that. What a bullsh*t discussion. Everyone in attendance and behind their YT screens should be thankful Keith got them grooving like that. Not only the intro and verses, his riffing during the solo section also was "delicate" It should be obvious that Ronnie can only play a Ronnie Solo and no Taylor solo. Whatever Ronnie could do on CYHMK would always be measured in a way that is pointless to measure. When Taylor returned not even he could do the Taylor solo in a way that would satisfy Mathijs. So it was shorter than before. So what? It just shows they have a realistic perspective on what they can and can't do. I wish they would break out MLH already; as soon as they do they will realize it's totally their ballpark and they will do it like OOT.

Date: June 28, 2022 19:14

Taylor1
Mathijs
powerage78

Mathijs
He was great however on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Glastonbury.Keith is awful on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Hyde Park. Mistakes , no sense of rhythm .How you can say Taylor muffed his parts and Keith was great is ridiculous. His solo at Glastonbury was the best on that tour. Even Jagger said it was @#$%& great at the end

Just a load of bollocks. And not even a matter of taste: Taylor's solo at Glastonburry was unrehearsed, full of mistakes, useless noodling: just check youtube.

I was there at Hyde Park -Keith sounded great on CYHMK, rough and dirty, and he simply played very good, better than I had expected from him these days. And the fact that Steven Jordan played it more straightforward actually gave the song a new hook, it made it an interesting new rendition.

Mathijs

Date: June 28, 2022 19:26

Justin
MelBelli
erad

I miss those days when each guitar player's tone really set them apart. Especially miss Ronnie's slithery tone. Remember back in B2B days, he'd have a few different amps back there to choose from, now he's been sticking to those Fender Jumbo amps.

Yup. And, as I speculate above, the reasoning is that you can now get a big, articulate, clean sound out of smaller amps or even no amp at all. But it doesn’t suit them well. It’s great for, say, Paul Simon or Steely Dan, where you want to hear every note in pristine isolation. But the Stones sounded just fine — transcendent, in fact — with an old-fashioned stage blend.

Date: June 28, 2022 19:31

Mathijs
Taylor1
Mathijs
powerage78

Mathijs

Just a load of bollocks. And not even a matter of taste: Taylor's solo at Glastonburry was unrehearsed, full of mistakes, useless noodling: just check youtube.

I was there at Hyde Park -Keith sounded great on CYHMK, rough and dirty, and he simply played very good, better than I had expected from him these days. And the fact that Steven Jordan played it more straightforward actually gave the song a new hook, it made it an interesting new rendition.

Mathijs[/quoteThats ridiculous.Keith’s playing is riddled with mistakes and bum notes despite playing simple guitar.He is hardly playing anything a novice guitarist couldn’t play well. The songs performance is flaccid. The Glastonbury one is “@#$%& great” like Mick said.Check out Charlie’s face during it. Taylor’s solo is beautiful and builds to a great ending.I agree some of his performances were not great on those shows, but we could spend hours discussing why including the small window he was given to warm up and play. One can expect the usual Taylor bashing from you, which is deeply disappointing given how much you claim toknow about guitar playing.And I have heard it on YouTube many times and it’s not riddled with mistakes.Only great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-28 19:34 by Taylor1.

Date: June 28, 2022 19:38

MelBelli
Justin
MelBelli
erad

Yup. And, as I speculate above, the reasoning is that you can now get a big, articulate, clean sound out of smaller amps or even no amp at all. But it doesn’t suit them well. It’s great for, say, Paul Simon or Steely Dan, where you want to hear every note in pristine isolation. But the Stones sounded just fine — transcendent, in fact — with an old-fashioned stage blend.

“Slithery” is so perfect. Listen to how he slithers back in at 3:07 here:

[youtu.be]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 17 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1392
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home