Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 21
Re: Hyde Park #1 London UK 25-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: June 26, 2022 21:26

Hyde Park 1 sounds great. I'm happy for everyone who got to be there.

StonedRambler
petewasbristol
Phoebe Bridgers is sounding phenomenal.
Just recently discovered her. One of the best newer artists around IMHO. Enjoy!

grzegorz67
Phoebe Bridgers was indeed quite the revelation.. Finished with a flourish too. I know none of the support acts but enjoying my day so far.

War On Drugs is an excellent band, too. I wish those acts had opened my last two Stones concerts.

Such serendipitous discoveries will happen when the Stones give us actual legitimate, working, accomplished acts that have built their own followings and put out music people want to hear. Acts that "dare" to headline their own tours, and draw real, paying crowds on tours they undertake on their own, rather than coattailing on big names. Like, you know, real bands do.

Openers that aren't merely expensive, craftily constructed, but inauthentic vehicles for monumental ego trips for the super-wealthy.

Openers that didn't need to pay-to-play and elbow real working bands out of their way to take over the Rolling Stones' once-prestigious opening act stage.

What a concept.

For the current Rolling Stones organization.

Re: Hyde Park #1 London UK 25-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Oriongalaxy ()
Date: June 26, 2022 21:31

daspyknows
Tumlin73
I’m in the diamond vip next week, any thoughts, tips etc who went last night?

I’ll take positive’s or negative’s regarding the hotel etc.

Get there early. Gate 17c pit crowd fun. Find your preferred spot and be ready to work to keep it. Bring in sealed water bottles its allowed. Don't leave you spot too long, rail or catwalk and just soak it all in. Crowd was a bit rough where I was but able to hold the ground. Great sound and well done festival. Doing gold circle next time.

What does that mean "early" for you guys? The gate open st 2pm. When the Stones starts? At around 20? 20:30?
Thanks

Posted by: Gram ()
Date: June 26, 2022 21:44

Tumlin73
daspyknows
Tumlin73

Get there early. Gate 17c pit crowd fun. Find your preferred spot and be ready to work to keep it. Bring in sealed water bottles its allowed. Don't leave you spot too long, rail or catwalk and just soak it all in. Crowd was a bit rough where I was but able to hold the ground. Great sound and well done festival. Doing gold circle next time.

Thanks so much.

In a way was hoping to be a more relaxed atmosphere, but no probs with standing my ground, supporting Bham City brings you up.

But to be honest these days I don’t mind taking a back step and having the space to do my stupid dancing.
Was there a goody bag?

Blues fan? KRO smiling smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 26, 2022 22:02

Oriongalaxy
daspyknows
Tumlin73

What does that mean "early" for you guys? The gate open st 2pm. When the Stones starts? At around 20? 20:30?
Thanks

Early entry was/is 1 PM. Stones went on around 8:10 PM.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 26, 2022 22:15

TheBluesHadaBaby
Such serendipitous discoveries will happen when the Stones give us actual legitimate, working, accomplished acts that have built their own followings and put out music people want to hear. Acts that "dare" to headline their own tours, and draw real, paying crowds on tours they undertake on their own, rather than coattailing on big names. Like, you know, real bands do.

Openers that aren't merely expensive, craftily constructed, but inauthentic vehicles for monumental ego trips for the super-wealthy.

Openers that didn't need to pay-to-play and elbow real working bands out of their way to take over the Rolling Stones' once-prestigious opening act stage.

What a concept.

For the current Rolling Stones organization.
thumbs up

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: June 26, 2022 22:25

From Mick's Instagram today (no photo credit given). Great shot of Mick & love the shirt thumbs up

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 26, 2022 22:35

From The Rolling Stones - Hyde Park Show No.1 SIXTY Tour 25.06.22 (Photos: J.Bouquet) :

Large picture

Large picture

Large picture

Large picture

All pictures from: [Twitter.com] .

Hyde Park #1 London UK 25-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 26, 2022 22:54

Great to be back at Hyde Park! Like my new Capo?
Photo: J.Bouquet

[twitter.com]

Date: June 26, 2022 23:29

whats that cyhmk guitar?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 26, 2022 23:36

From all accounts an epic gig. Cant' wait for the recording. Seems like an instant classic.

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: June 26, 2022 23:55

Gram
Tumlin73
daspyknows
Tumlin73

Thanks so much.

In a way was hoping to be a more relaxed atmosphere, but no probs with standing my ground, supporting Bham City brings you up.

But to be honest these days I don’t mind taking a back step and having the space to do my stupid dancing.
Was there a goody bag?

Blues fan? KRO smiling smiley

Spot on. KRO.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: June 27, 2022 00:03

Guys, I have one question regarding Gold Circle East.
I will be attending the July 3rd show with my wife who’s recently undergone some serious chest surgery, therefore I will have to make sure no one bumps into her during the show.
Is the Gold Circle super packed or I can expect her to be comfortable during the show, maybe staying at the very back of the area?

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 27, 2022 00:12

I was standing in the back area of Golden Circle (there is no difference between east and west, just different entrances). Lots of space at the back. If you are a bit early/lucky there's a good chance you can lean onto the fence. And you'll have a great overview of the stage and show, and the sound was superb.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: June 27, 2022 00:44

The Worst.
I was standing in the back area of Golden Circle (there is no difference between east and west, just different entrances). Lots of space at the back. If you are a bit early/lucky there's a good chance you can lean onto the fence. And you'll have a great overview of the stage and show, and the sound was superb.
Thank you.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 27, 2022 00:51

Oriongalaxy
daspyknows
Tumlin73

Thanks

Was there at 9. Did a number thing for first 50 and I was 23. By 11 there was a decent crowd. Probably by 11 you could get pretty close to rail.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 27, 2022 02:04

First 11 songs, good quality but this section of the audience seem to suffer from attention deficit disorder winking smiley [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 27, 2022 03:02

dunhill
Guys, I have one question regarding Gold Circle East.
I will be attending the July 3rd show with my wife who’s recently undergone some serious chest surgery, therefore I will have to make sure no one bumps into her during the show.
Is the Gold Circle super packed or I can expect her to be comfortable during the show, maybe staying at the very back of the area?

I would try and contact the "guest services" and explain the situation. I am sure they have some of the raised seats available for people with medical needs. I think you could find a spot but not a particularly good one that would be safe but there is always a risk of an accidental drunk interaction.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: June 27, 2022 07:13

The photo of Mick and Keith hugging is quite moving. Think of what this concert meant to them. It all started for them in London and, sixty years later, they are still going strong back where it all began. Congratulations to the Band and to all the fans who were able to be there celebrating this incredible achievement with them!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 27, 2022 08:21

Green Lady
Just got home off the Tube. That was one seriously amazing show, and Mick & Keith both enjoying it immensely. I was already pleased to get Rainbow (though I missed the actual rainbow) and then getting CYHMK completely out of the blue was a lovely surprise (though Charlie and Bobby are much missed in the jam section - but the first part was great).

They switched Gimme Shelter for Sympathy at the end, which I thought worked well.

I was down by the big screen, and the guy doing the signing was great fun to watch - looked like he was having a blast doing it. Thoroughly enjoyable evening, everyone in good form, and it didn't rain.

Edit: looks as though I am now banned by DREAMTIME for not trying to stream a song with the very shaky Hyde Park signal and my fading battery, so this may be my last post...

Nice to know you was there and had fun, Green Lady!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 27, 2022 08:48

The Rolling Stones, BST Hyde Park, review: the greatest guitar band in the world is reborn

No longer solely dependent on Jagger's ambition, the band are back to their 1970s best thanks to a sober Wood and musically reborn Richards

Reuters

By Chris Harvey

Hyde Park in midsummer; an audience that had defied the train strikes to come out in force for The Rolling Stones. Keith Richards led the band out, sauntering to the front of the stage, bandana-clad, smiling, to start the rumble of Street Fighting Man. And then it was on: a performance of such astonishing verve that I was still awake and buzzing hours afterwards.

“It’s 60 years to the week that we first played the Marquee Club,” Mick Jagger told the London crowd. Ten years later, he and Richards had turned the Stones into the sexiest band there had ever been. Yet watching them live in their seventies, it’s clear that the Stones are – and always were – about something deeper than sex. They embody darkness and danger with an edge that others just can’t match.

Their songs conjure an urban dystopia, where violence and emotional threat is real and close at hand. You can sing along, but so many of the classics they played at Hyde Park – from a spellbinding Paint It Black to the 2020 single Livin’ in a Ghost Town, which Jagger wrote in 2019 about “being a ghost after a plague” – drag you with them into the shadows. “Here it comes,” sings Jagger, “Here comes your 19th nervous breakdown.”

The lyrics are not faked for pop success, and they’re rarely specific, so they don’t date. It’s life with the nastiness left in, and the band members are walking proof of it. Richards is rock’n’roll’s Orpheus – the musician who perfected the lyre and survived a journey to the underworld. As he moves, at one with his guitar, he carries the grimness of his 1970s journey within him – of heroin, death and very dangerous associates. Ronnie Wood, too, has been to desolate places, where there is nothing but the drug or the bottle.

It seems that a sober Wood and a musically reborn Richards have transformed the Stones from an outfit driven solely by the ambition and intensity of Jagger into what they were in the first place: the best guitar band in the world. On Jumpin’ Jack Flash, they’re lightning in a bottle.

Jagger’s ambition and intensity are still there, though. Calling Harry Styles the new Mick Jagger, calling anyone that, misses an essential fact: Jagger himself is the new Mick Jagger, the old Mick Jagger, the eternal Mick Jagger. Strutting, dancing, never still; he’s unstoppable. His voice has the same fierce soul that it had when he was 20 – there will be no Vegas crooning for Mick, to the end.

What so many groups over the years who’ve wished they were The Rolling Stones have misunderstood is that they’re not just about strut and swagger, they’re about the interplay of two great guitarists, weaving rhythm and riffs, melody and solos. At his most imperious, Richards will let Ronnie drive the song along as he hangs in suspended time, happy, grinning, until he suddenly steps back in, to floor you with a barked chord, then steps away again.

They’re newly missing a much-loved drummer with swing, but Steve Jordan is proving an able replacement, while Darryl Jones on bass brings a new funkiness to Jagger’s Studio 54-influenced Miss You.

The performance was not absolutely without flaws. When the guitars slide apart, as they did on She’s a Rainbow, the momentum briefly stalls; and during Gimme Shelter, when backing singer Sasha Allen screamed out its apocalyptic “Rape. Murder. It’s just a shot away,” someone needed to turn her mic up.

Yet there was a moment during Midnight Rambler when Richards, Wood and Jones converged around the drums of Jordan, their backs to the audience, lockstep together in a Chicago blues, inside the music as it gathered a primal force. Their heads were bowed, overlooking the same spot, a dirt crossroads maybe, or something more ancient. And from there on in, the band was on fire, turning every song they played into an epic conflagration: Gimme Shelter, Start Me Up, Sympathy for the Devil and the closing (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction. Apparently, there was another musical icon playing the same night. You might swap the Stones in 2022 for the 1972 version, but not for anyone else.

The Rolling Stones play Hyde Park again on Sunday July 3;

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 27, 2022 10:00

Tumlin73
Adrian-L
A thoroughly enjoyable show.

I was in GA & the sound was above-average for a field show with a swirling wind. Big screens were excellent. Presentation for all us poor people in GA could not have been better. Effort, care & technology for ALL attendees was great yesterday.

The band were on top form. No complaints from me.
I Departed during the encore & legged it for the tube( i couldn't afford to get stuck in long queues, as i had a lift waiting for me in Hammersmith to get me home.)

So pleased i made the effort to attend. A combination of a hectic life, train strikes & apathy mean't i wasn't sure i was going to bother.

So disappointed (due to transport strikes) that i couldn't attend the fridy night IORR gig, or saturday pre-drinks. (hopefully) another time.
Anyone with tickets for the rest of the tour is in for a treat. Enjoy.

Was hoping to see you on the Friday night ( odean73 ) Adrian. I was in general admission last night with around 14 family & friends that includes nieces & nephews and some their first time and they loved it. Would have been nice to have met up.
I’m going next week, but as a retirement present, treated me & the Mrs to a vip ticket.

sorry to have missed you mate. The rail disruption was a major ball-ache. For me the best times during a tour are the get-togethers, fun, laughter & story swapping.I really missed that on saturday. Have a fantastic time on sunday!

Date: June 27, 2022 10:25

thanks to Silverdagger for the picture of this Arts Desk review of The Stones in the Park on Saturday nigh... iorr in action ... if you read it, enjoy, I hope you feel the force...

[www.theartsdesk.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 27, 2022 10:28

keefriffhards
First 11 songs, good quality but this section of the audience seem to suffer from attention deficit disorder winking smiley [www.youtube.com]

Haha, yes that blonde guy was glasses started spending a lot of time looking towards the back chatting with his friends, how annoying for people behind him...

So I watched this to catch the "hug" after CYHMK and it is indeed Mick who went towards Keith but as was mentioned above it's not the "real" hug from the pics that was at the end of the bows and that was Keith going towards Mick.

I've never heard Mick sounding so hoarse during the band intros, I hope he can rest his voice for the upcoming shows...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 27, 2022 11:15

gotdablouse
keefriffhards

Haha, yes that blonde guy was glasses started spending a lot of time looking towards the back chatting with his friends, how annoying for people behind him...

So I watched this to catch the "hug" after CYHMK and it is indeed Mick who went towards Keith but as was mentioned above it's not the "real" hug from the pics that was at the end of the bows and that was Keith going towards Mick.

I've never heard Mick sounding so hoarse during the band intros, I hope he can rest his voice for the upcoming shows...

Yes those genuine kind of hugs and smiles towards each other signal to me that they have finally settled their differences, it's the icing on the cake for me to see those two close again and this can only be good news so far as them finishing the new album.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 27, 2022 11:38

It was a superb show. Got into the Diamond area for 6, had a few beers and still got right up by the rail and had a great time with two lovely American ladies.

Posted by: Oriongalaxy ()
Date: June 27, 2022 13:15

daspyknows
Oriongalaxy
daspyknows
Tumlin73

Thanks

Was there at 9. Did a number thing for first 50 and I was 23. By 11 there was a decent crowd. Probably by 11 you could get p
retty close to rail.

By 11 am??? Do you mean we are supose to stand there until 20 when the Stones take over the stage since 11 am at least? That is crazy.
I mean the entrance is open at 1 pm? And the other band's start at around 2pm?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but how could we stand in the Park with no sitting area, limited water and toilets amenities?

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 27, 2022 13:15

I want to add my own observations about the show to the great stuff that's already been said.

I had a GA ticket. Unlike the previous Hyde Park gigs where you could get down towards the front if you arrived early enough, the Golden circle is absolutely huge at this year's event. So much for "general" admission. If you arrive by around 4pm you can easily get over the various people with picnic blankets laid out and be near the front of GA, but even so you are not going to be anywhere near the stage or even the catwalk. Nevertheless, the stage and screens are big enough to project the experience far back so my disappointment waned once the I realised that. After all, some people towards the back of the gold circle had paid significantly more than me for essentially the exact same experience.

I had noticed throughout the support acts that the sound system wasn't turned up very loud, although it was clear quality. I have to mention Vista Kicks who sounded like a Californian Beatles influenced band but were excellent and fun to watch. Phoebe Bridgers was BRILLIANT! Her songs are stunning and she is one to watch. I note that all four of her shows at Brixton Academy have sold out otherwise I'd be getting a ticket. Or should I say tickets because my daughter is a massive fan and now I understand why.

If I closed my eyes and listened to War on Drugs I could have thought I was listening to an easy listening Phil Collins tribute act, which isn't a good thing. I don't know why they were pushed up the bill ahead of Phoebe!

As I mentioned, the stage, and notably the screens, are thankfully large. At some point before the Stones came on they suddenly switched from showing trees to the yellow and reds of the 60 tour stage. Then we had the Charlie intro and into Street Fighting Man. One thing I will say here, based on my experience from the front of GA, is that the sound system was very low and this took the impact out of the gig. I could hear people chatting around me above the band. I wish they would turn it up loud but I imagine they have strict environmental noise limits to meet, which isn't the band or stage crew's fault.

Later in the set they started using the screens to their full extent, rather than mimicking the smaller side screens of the 60 stage. That was a good call for those further back and to my mind should be a reminder for future tours (fingers crossed) that larger screens are really needed.

After watching some recent performances from the Stones on this tour and even from last year, I was not expecting much musically. Maybe being at the gig makes all the difference but I felt that they played extremely well. Not as well as Hyde Park 2013, perhaps not as well as the UK No Filter shows a few years ago (with some exceptions) - but I was definitely very happy to hear the band and especially Keith raising their game. Perhaps taking off the tea cosy and wearing a bandana instead has somehow invigorated him!

At the start of Out of Time the crowd around me were a bit confused about what the song was, with people asking was it Under My Thumb. However, once the singing started I think they got the drift and joined in the sing-along. It was lovely to hear this song (my first time hearing it live) and it works well. She's a Rainbow was also a first for me. The crowd all new this song, no doubt assisted by the fact it has been used as an advert soundtrack in the UK for a few years.

I would also like to highlight how good Tumbling Dice was. Quite often I get the feeling that they dial this in but Keith seemed to be playing with more intensity and accuracy this time.

I was really surprised that they played Can't You Hear Me Knocking. Wow! What a great version, especially Keith's playing. Ron did a good job on the solo too. I actually really like the shortened arrangement. I doubt they'll play it at the next show which is a shame for those who can only make it to HP2!

It was nice to hear Ghost Town for the first time and it worked quite well in the set. I was amazed to see that the crowd were really into it and seemed to know the words, especially the younger members of the audience.

Slipping Away is always a highlight for me. Keith did a great version but at this point I couldn't really hear it well due to the audience chatting away around me. Please turn the music up!

Midnight Rambler is always my favorite live song and no exception this time. We were treated to a great version and this is the first time I've heard Steve Jordan live. I think he did a great job and perhaps added to the intensity at the end. It's not better than Charlie just different.

Start Me Up for some reason seemed to be better than I have heard in a long time, probably due to Keith's excellent playing. The guitar somehow seemed dirtier and louder in the mix than other versions I have seen live on previous tours.

Gimme Shelter worked really well and sent shivers down my spine seeing the Ukrainian flag fading into the devastation of bombed buildings. This was a poignant moment and received a big cheer from the crowd. However, another issue with the sound system, why can't they turn Sasha's vocals up during her solo bit? At least she was audible (unlike some of the UK No Filter shows) but even so, they must know it's coming and be able to boost the mic! Nevertheless, the song was played as well as I've ever seen them play it and special mention again goes to Keith.

For me, the graphics in Sympathy for the devil don't work as well as on previous tours. Video of a few sparklers and Catherine wheels is hardly awe inspiring. We didn't get a particularly great solo from Keith (unlike 2013 HP) but at least it was in the right key. If it wasn't such a crowd pleaser I'd have said it was time to retire this song. But the crowd loved it and who am I to criticise?

I'm really looking forward to HP2 now and for that one I'm taking my girlfriend to see them for the first time. She's in for a great experience. And I do wonder if that will be the last time I ever get to see them? If so, then at least I will have memories of so many great live experiences over the years. But then again, pushing 80, who knows? I honestly thought No Filter would be the last time. In fact, thinking back, I've felt that way ever since I saw them. So we are all very lucky to have these opportunities and it's so nice to see so many young people in the audience who will always be able to say "I saw the Stones"!

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 27, 2022 13:23

Oriongalaxy
daspyknows
Oriongalaxy
daspyknows
Tumlin73

Thanks

Was there at 9. Did a number thing for first 50 and I was 23. By 11 there was a decent crowd. Probably by 11 you could get p
retty close to rail.

By 11 am??? Do you mean we are supose to stand there until 20 when the Stones take over the stage since 11 am at least? That is crazy.
I mean the entrance is open at 1 pm? And the other band's start at around 2pm?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but how could we stand in the Park with no sitting area, limited water and toilets amenities?

In the old days you just queued up all day at the stadium gates and then sprinted to the front of the pitch! I used to take a few beers and sit outside the gates all day waiting until they opened. No Gold circle or VIP so only diehard fans got to the front, not just people with money.

Date: June 27, 2022 13:27

Adrian-L
Tumlin73
Adrian-L
A thoroughly enjoyable show.

I was in GA & the sound was above-average for a field show with a swirling wind. Big screens were excellent. Presentation for all us poor people in GA could not have been better. Effort, care & technology for ALL attendees was great yesterday.

The band were on top form. No complaints from me.
I Departed during the encore & legged it for the tube( i couldn't afford to get stuck in long queues, as i had a lift waiting for me in Hammersmith to get me home.)

So pleased i made the effort to attend. A combination of a hectic life, train strikes & apathy mean't i wasn't sure i was going to bother.

So disappointed (due to transport strikes) that i couldn't attend the fridy night IORR gig, or saturday pre-drinks. (hopefully) another time.
Anyone with tickets for the rest of the tour is in for a treat. Enjoy.

Was hoping to see you on the Friday night ( odean73 ) Adrian. I was in general admission last night with around 14 family & friends that includes nieces & nephews and some their first time and they loved it. Would have been nice to have met up.
I’m going next week, but as a retirement present, treated me & the Mrs to a vip ticket.

sorry to have missed you mate. The rail disruption was a major ball-ache. For me the best times during a tour are the get-togethers, fun, laughter & story swapping.I really missed that on saturday. Have a fantastic time on sunday!

Cheers.

I got lucky with the trains, caught an earlier one from Brum and did the same at Marylebone yesterday. Thought it would be worse to be honest.

Date: June 27, 2022 13:29

Father Ted
It was a superb show. Got into the Diamond area for 6, had a few beers and still got right up by the rail and had a great time with two lovely American ladies.

Thanks for the info.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home