Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: BBC Anniversary Programming - Stones 60th
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: August 8, 2022 21:17

I have now watched all episodes. There are some great moments in all four episodes, but I’m not fully satisfied. My initial feeling is that this could have been so much better if they only had let someone with actual knowledge of the Stones’ history and music to write the narration, choose the music and edit the clips. This happens time and time again. Why on earth do they have that background music when they obviously have the rights to use Stones’ own music?! An unforgivable choice by the BBC producers. But most annoyingly, what the narrator tells us doesn’t always match with what we see and hear. When they are talking about riots in 1968 and how this influenced Mick, the only logical thing is to play Street Fighting Man, but no, they rather show a dull moment from the Goddard film instead. When they go in depth on open-G tuning, they play Gimme Shelter – which, of course, is not an example of open-G. Keith talks about the power of a great riff, and they go on to show him playing Sitting’ on a Fence on his acoustic guitar. Max Weinberg tells about Charlie’s drumming on Rocks Off and asks us to listen to all the fills, but they play a segment from the song more or less without fills. Stewart Copeland talk about how Charlie could rock so hard but play so loose, and have a relaxed style for a high energy type of music. I guess they could have played Bitch or something, but they use this slow, low energy (but still beautiful) rehearsal version of Tumbling Dice as an example. Brian Johnson says Mick’s greatest gift as a frontman is to control a huge stadium, but they zoom in on Mick performing standing still in an arena. They talk about New York’s 52nd street, but show pictures from London. Mick is talking about crazy stage ideas in the 'modern' era, and they go on to, not show anything from Babylon or A Bigger Bang, but the 1981 stage. Etc. etc. etc. And there’s a lot of factual errors that are of minor importance, but still… facts are facts. The Montreux rehearsals were not done in 1974. When they show the Lotus stage from 1975, the narrator says that the band will be a travelling carnival for the next TWO decades. The Stones didn’t end their touring circus in 1995, they are STILL doing it – almost five decades later. According to the script, Stones have played for a total of 15 million people. The actual number is far higher. Okay, that's my rant for today. But I’m still waiting for the perfect Stones documentary!

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: August 8, 2022 22:22

I have only watched the Mick Jagger part so far.I think 25 x 5 is far better.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: August 9, 2022 21:55

As joyce Smyth said " when they finally step off the stage for the last time we will all know we shall never see anything like that ever again "
The eternal RS question is where & when that step is

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-09 22:57 by 06230.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 10, 2022 10:21

The Worst.
I have now watched all episodes. There are some great moments in all four episodes, but I’m not fully satisfied. My initial feeling is that this could have been so much better if they only had let someone with actual knowledge of the Stones’ history and music to write the narration, choose the music and edit the clips. This happens time and time again. Why on earth do they have that background music when they obviously have the rights to use Stones’ own music?! An unforgivable choice by the BBC producers. But most annoyingly, what the narrator tells us doesn’t always match with what we see and hear. When they are talking about riots in 1968 and how this influenced Mick, the only logical thing is to play Street Fighting Man, but no, they rather show a dull moment from the Goddard film instead. When they go in depth on open-G tuning, they play Gimme Shelter – which, of course, is not an example of open-G. Keith talks about the power of a great riff, and they go on to show him playing Sitting’ on a Fence on his acoustic guitar. Max Weinberg tells about Charlie’s drumming on Rocks Off and asks us to listen to all the fills, but they play a segment from the song more or less without fills. Stewart Copeland talk about how Charlie could rock so hard but play so loose, and have a relaxed style for a high energy type of music. I guess they could have played Bitch or something, but they use this slow, low energy (but still beautiful) rehearsal version of Tumbling Dice as an example. Brian Johnson says Mick’s greatest gift as a frontman is to control a huge stadium, but they zoom in on Mick performing standing still in an arena. They talk about New York’s 52nd street, but show pictures from London. Mick is talking about crazy stage ideas in the 'modern' era, and they go on to, not show anything from Babylon or A Bigger Bang, but the 1981 stage. Etc. etc. etc. And there’s a lot of factual errors that are of minor importance, but still… facts are facts. The Montreux rehearsals were not done in 1974. When they show the Lotus stage from 1975, the narrator says that the band will be a travelling carnival for the next TWO decades. The Stones didn’t end their touring circus in 1995, they are STILL doing it – almost five decades later. According to the script, Stones have played for a total of 15 million people. The actual number is far higher. Okay, that's my rant for today. But I’m still waiting for the perfect Stones documentary!

Almost sounds like you're describing one of those unofficial/unauthorized video documentaries.

Date: August 10, 2022 11:36

I agree with your comments Anders. I enjoyed all four episodes but, it could have been even better.......but don't we always say that about such programmes?!

Date: August 10, 2022 14:37

The use of generic music rather than Stones music is bizarre, given the BBC has rights to use any music for no fee. Perhaps that's because of the international distribution angle. Other broadcasters would have to pay a huge sum, maybe. Unless they got a waiver, as it's essentially a band promo x 4.
There was not a lot of new info, band-wise - though there was in Ronnie and Charlie's films, about their backgrounds and so on, but I did enjoy all the 'tells' - the footage of Mick n Keith, mainly, in between questions and before they're 'ready'.
The narration was poor, though, absolutely generic, but I sill loved watching em!

EPIX
Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: August 9, 2022 18:08

So I subscribed to EPIX to watch the My Life as a Rolling Stone. I tuned in and it was just the "first season," MJ. Does anyone know the schedule for the rest of the series? Or did I miss something? Thanks in advanced.

Re: EPIX
Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: August 9, 2022 18:18

I believe they are releasing one episode each Sunday. I also subscribed only to learn that they are free on (Amazon) Prime Video. Oh well. It's only $5.99

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 9, 2022 19:51

"Epix will air one episode, tonight and the next 3 Sundays at 9pm ET." - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 9, 2022 20:00

You know this is on Youtube for free

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: August 9, 2022 20:25

Well I do now Hot Rocks! Thanks. I can't be too upset over $5.99 however.

Date: August 9, 2022 20:40

More Hot Rocks

Links?

Or do you mean this fake one - [www.YouTube.com] ?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 9, 2022 21:52

Irix
More Hot Rocks

Links?

Or do you mean this fake one - [www.YouTube.com] ?

I just looked at my YouTube history. It looks like it was taken down. It was in four parts. Too bad its no longer there.

Posted by: jana ()
Date: August 9, 2022 23:44

I doubt that anything recent will stay online for free for more than a few hours. So you better download it asap because these links get deleted in a blink of an eye. cool smiley

*It’s good to be here. It’s good to be anywhere!*

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 10, 2022 00:33

I don't see it on Amazon prime here in Canada?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 10, 2022 14:41

watched the Jagger episode free on Amazon prime..it was ok...funny at times...but not really satisfying..hard to cover everything in a short window.....so much wasn't covered.....

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 10, 2022 16:04

It is also on Videoland in the Netherlands

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 10, 2022 20:00

Once you get past Keith cleaning up, and Bill leaving, there isn't a lot of interesting history to get into. They turned back onto themselves and finally did become a caricature of themselves. They became entertainers. I'm surprised they haven't started doing medleys. Or the day soon when one of them will have to sit to play. I really wish they'd play more blues. They're still wonderful at this stage playing that music.

for german-speaking fans ... tonight ZDF midnight - my life as a stone
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: August 12, 2022 15:41

hi,

tonight at ZDF (0:00)...
mein leben als rolling stone, keith und ron (1:00)

Re: for german-speaking fans ... tonight ZDF midnight - my life as a stone
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 12, 2022 15:59

thomashanck
hi,

tonight at ZDF (0:00)...
mein leben als rolling stone, keith und ron (1:00)

all for parts are in the ZDF Mediathek since a couple of days => [www.zdf.de]

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: August 12, 2022 17:36

yeah, thanx

Date: August 12, 2022 20:40

thomashanck

tonight at ZDF (0:00)... mein leben als rolling stone, keith und ron (1:00)

The parts about Mick & Charlie were broadcasted on TV already on 6-Aug-2022 - [iorr.org] . Available in the ZDF Mediathek also with the original English audio and with German audio-description (subtitles).

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: August 14, 2022 03:13

Didn't know anythig about Charlie's collection of historical drum sets.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 14, 2022 11:38

MAF
Didn't know anythig about Charlie's collection of historical drum sets.

there was this cool interview together with Ronnie where Charlie talked about having double bass drums and playing around with an ancient vibraphone at home

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: August 15, 2022 15:16

I have to say I really liked the documentary. Many new things. Like MAF said, I didnt know about Charlies collection. But what I really liked is that there were many long shots of their faces just listening to interviews. You could really read into their faces, all the stories, the legacy, the amount of life time they spent delivering this fine rock music to us fans. I really adore them and thank them so much for their effort.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 15, 2022 16:28

In Denmark: [www.dr.dk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-15 16:52 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: August 15, 2022 16:33

Coming soon in Norway at NRK:

First part (Mick) is Friday August 19 8:40 PM

Then the other parts will be broadcasted weekly on Fridays.

From August 19, though, all the parts will be available online on NRK TV.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 15, 2022 23:16

I’ve watched the Charlie one so far. Heartwarming! But again: Where is Bill?
I almost shed a tear when it finished. There’s some stuff I didn’t know like the Huntsman shop and his drum stash.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 15, 2022 23:51

MadMetaphoricalMax
The use of generic music rather than Stones music is bizarre, given the BBC has rights to use any music for no fee.

Eh?

Since when have the BBC been allowed to do that?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: August 16, 2022 00:05

MadMetaphoricalMax

The use of generic music rather than Stones music is bizarre, given the BBC has rights to use any music for no fee.

But this docu-series is also broadcasted internationally by other TV-stations that probably don't have such exclusive rights as the BBC. And original Stones-Music could be too expensive for some other TV-stations.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home