Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: BBC Anniversary Programming - Stones 60th
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 3, 2022 14:12

This is a hilariously po-faced (and inaccurate) review of the documentary from the Guardian!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-03 14:13 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 3, 2022 14:53

To quote one of the comments:

"I know it's only problematically heteronormative essentialism but I like it, I like it, yes I do."

(and yes, that phrase, among other candidates for Pseuds Corner, was used in the review, along with some predictable but more or less irrelevant remarks on the Brown Sugar debate, and the claim that Mick would have hated the documentary).

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 3, 2022 15:11

Date: July 3, 2022 15:41

The Graunaid really is ... one of a kind. Hilarious.
‘problematically heteronormative essentialism’ just about sums it up.
All hail the stern moral puritans!

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: July 3, 2022 17:01

Problem number one is even reading any bullshit from that digital fishwrap called the Guardian. Second one is Mr Wordsalad who wrote is a pompous pos. Geezus his writing sucks. It’s like he is trying to prove he reads the dictionary for fun.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 3, 2022 17:14

Have watched the Mick and Charlie episodes so far. Enjoyed both of course but the Charlie one was the best for me.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 3, 2022 17:46

That Guardian journalist is ripping into Brown Sugar lyrics, quoting "Skydog slaver". At least get the lyrics right if you want to be a critic.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 3, 2022 18:26

The Worst.
That Guardian journalist is ripping into Brown Sugar lyrics, quoting "Skydog slaver". At least get the lyrics right if you want to be a critic.

Blame that on Keith Richards :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-03 18:26 by hockenheim95.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 3, 2022 19:26

The Worst.

Oh, dear. The woke liberati at the Guardian are at it again eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: July 3, 2022 19:36

Not one mention of Bill across the 4 episodes - utterly ridiculous!

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: July 3, 2022 20:49

Bill who?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 3, 2022 21:09

Rollin92
Well, he quit spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-03 21:09 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: July 3, 2022 21:37

StonedRambler
Rollin92

But he was a big part of their iconic sound - it’s pure airbrushing. Christ, Brian even got a mention and he was sacked.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 3, 2022 21:37

StonedRambler
Rollin92

I haven´t seen it yet.
I hope Brian Jones isn´t mentioned (been fired)
Nor Mick Taylor (well he quit) smoking smiley

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: July 3, 2022 21:38

Rollin92

Bill might not have wanted to do it.

All the legal clearances are harder than one thinks.

The BBC may have set out a budget and scheduling for this, and they couldn't make it work for various reasons

He DID quit over 30 years ago, as well.

Nothing about Mick Taylor as well.

I'm grateful for what we have received.

It doesn't mean that I wouldn't have LOVED to have seen some love given to the former members in this docuseries. It's just not as easy as it seems.

Posted by: Meryl03 ()
Date: July 3, 2022 22:37

Mick Taylor is mentioned a bit in the Ronnie episode. Unfortunately it's Ronnie telling the story about how Taylor told them he was leaving at that party again which isn't true. I wish we could hear the story of Taylor leaving from Mick J instead of Ronnie.

Also Glyn Johns saying Taylor quit a day before they were to start recording the new album which isn't true either.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 4, 2022 15:36

These documentaries are what they are.

Most Rolling Stones fans will be quite happy with seeing four new BBC progammes
highlighting Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie.

Have only looked at the Mick one, and loved it, along with Live at The Fonda and Totally Stripped following on.

Will probably not look on i-player and just look forward to the next one on BBC2 next Saturday. smileys with beer

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 5, 2022 01:09

I just watched the Charlie episode - beautiful! Such a lovely man and musician, I’m in love and grief all over again.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 5, 2022 10:33

hockenheim95
The Worst.

Blame that on Keith Richards :-)

even thats not right because in keith's book its "skydog slayer" not "skydog slaver"

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 5, 2022 11:22

SomeTorontoGirl
I just watched the Charlie episode - beautiful! Such a lovely man and musician, I’m in love and grief all over again.

I thought the Charlie one was the best by far. It had a lovely elegiac quality (to sound like the Guardian!). I found the footage of his two friends going through his memorabilia collection in the warehouse and finding his tour teacups unbearably sad and funny. I would have liked to hear more from Shirley on the 'place of women' in the Stones - and indeed generally, because her perspective is one of the longest - but I suspect she is never going to say all she could.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 5, 2022 11:46

I had the feeling Jagger wanted to set some things straight. He felt it was necessary and made a big point out of the fact that Brian Jones wasn't a writer, and that he and Richards had written everything. In that respect he also needed to emphasize that Richards wrote a lot of ballads and he put a big emphasis that Ruby Tuesday originated from Richards.

I thought it was strange that the BBC apparently wasn't allowed to use Stones music for much of the series, but they used some strange Stones-like garble underneath the interviews and voice over. Great was the impages -many, many never before seen professional shots of the 1970 to 1975 tours.

And in that respect -it was the first time at least for me that we saw the famed warehouse where they keep all the stuff. And its clear we fans only have 5% or so of what is available -all these rows and rows of tapes labeled '1970 live', all these 1973 and 1975 shows, all those films, all these outtakes....

Mathijs

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 5, 2022 12:30

Watched the Jagger episode yesterday, I thought it was well made. Watching the Richards episode tonight.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 5, 2022 14:06

Lady Jayne
SomeTorontoGirl

I thought the Charlie one was the best by far. It had a lovely elegiac quality (to sound like the Guardian!). I found the footage of his two friends going through his memorabilia collection in the warehouse and finding his tour teacups unbearably sad and funny. I would have liked to hear more from Shirley on the 'place of women' in the Stones - and indeed generally, because her perspective is one of the longest - but I suspect she is never going to say all she could.

My main complaint so far (only Ronnie's episode still to go) is that they could have all done with being at least half an hour longer - but then I suppose being on IORR gives you some idea of the huge amount they had to leave out. I for one never knew about Charlie's huge collection of drum memorabilia -there's going to be either a wonderful museum, as he wanted, or the sale of the century! So sad to see his Open/Closed sign hanging there, and yes, the tea set was so absolutely in character.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-05 14:15 by Green Lady.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 5, 2022 15:09

Green Lady
Lady Jayne
SomeTorontoGirl

My main complaint so far (only Ronnie's episode still to go) is that they could have all done with being at least half an hour longer - but then I suppose being on IORR gives you some idea of the huge amount they had to leave out. I for one never knew about Charlie's huge collection of drum memorabilia -there's going to be either a wonderful museum, as he wanted, or the sale of the century! So sad to see his Open/Closed sign hanging there, and yes, the tea set was so absolutely in character.

Yes, the tea set touched me as well. Charlie - a complete original, irreplaceable and much missed.

Wiltern 2002 - to be released
Date: July 2, 2022 16:53

[www.bbc.co.uk]

.....keep on rolling.....

Re: Wiltern 2002 - to be released
Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: July 2, 2022 17:03

Maybe we get a full release on 2cd/ dvd/ blu ray / vinyl and is this 70 minute cut a kind of promo for an upcoming release

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: July 2, 2022 18:09

smoking smiley

Posted by: lickskeith ()
Date: July 2, 2022 18:18

IS it out already ??

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 2, 2022 18:26

I can't stand this Keith posing period anymore...
But great setlist for sure.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: July 2, 2022 18:42

Thanks.thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home