Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: Date of Documentary announced?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 25, 2022 04:12

Whut, the leftovers of CROSSFIRE HURRICANE will finally come out?

Yawnnnnnn.

Re: BBC Anniversary Programming - Stones 60th
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 27, 2022 18:13

I think the format of this series is a bit weird, 4 Stones all get 1 hour of attention. These are Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie. I don't want to offend any Charlie fans but his life was.. not as "interesting" to the general public as for example Mick or Keith's. And Stones like Brian, Mick Taylor or Bill get a bit overlooked this way. I would prefer a different approach, more chronological like:
ep1: early days, early 60s
ep2: height of fame, mid 60s
ep3: death of jones, taylor years, late 60s early 70s
ep4: ronnie wood era, late 70s
ep5: tattoo you, solo works, reunion, 80s
ep6: voodoo lounge, bridges, the mega tours 90s and 00s
ep7: 50 anniversary up until now, the 60 anniversary
yes I need more episodes than 4

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 28, 2022 10:49

The Rolling Stones celebrate 'immaculate' Charlie Watts in new documentary

The Rolling Stones have remembered their "immaculate" friend and drummer Charlie Watts in a new documentary series looking back at the band’s history.

Watts, who drummed in the iconic rock 'n' roll band for more than half a century, died on 24 August last year at the age of 80.

In a new four-part documentary series on BBC Two, My Life As A Rolling Stone, Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards reflect on their bandmate’s "particular" personality and his unique on-tour habits.

Wood, 75, recalled: "He drew every bed he slept in, every meal he ate, every hotel room.

"I had the pleasure of him showing me one of his tour books once, they’re very simple line drawings, and he’d have 'put your coat here' or a little sign like that, mixed with all kinds of details from the room.

"And I always said to him: 'Charlie, you should release these, people want to see them.' 'Nobody wants to see these,' and I’d say: 'They do Charlie, it’s a real eye into your world.'

"He totally underestimated his power as a person."

Ronnie Wood said Watts "totally underestimated his power as a person"

An old audio recording of Watts heard him explaining his drawing habits. He said: "It started in ’60-something and it was something to do. It’s a diary and now I can’t miss one because it’s like ruining a day…

"So I just draw every bed that I sleep in when I tour with The Rolling Stones."

In the fourth episode of My Life As A Rolling Stone, which will air in July, Richards paid tribute to Watts, saying: "You can’t imagine the Stones without Charlie Watts. Charlie was the engine, the best drummer England has ever produced."

He added: "People like Charlie Watts are very hard to put in a pocket, they don’t make pockets for people like Charlie. He was a totally unique guy."

Keith Richards said Watts was "a totally unique guy"

Wood later shared an insight Watts’s orderly packing routine, saying: "One word: particular."

He went on: "Clothes had a layer of tissue paper in between, each shirt, each sock, each underpant, each jacket. Pristine would be the word. Not one thing out of place."

Jagger, the band’s 78-year-old frontman, recalled memories of his friend and fellow band member and said: "I miss Charlie on many levels… I miss him a lot."

Despite Watts’s preference for structure and order, the Stones also reflected on their bandmate’s struggle with addiction later on in his life and how he overcame it.

Mick Jagger said he misses Watts "on many levels"

Richards was somewhat credited with helping out his friend, and explained his memories of the time.

"I told him: ‘It’s just not you, Charlie,'" he said.

"The main thing that really worried me about Charlie at a point was that he was drinking heavy duty cognac… If he was dabbling with other stuff I didn’t really mind, it was the booze.

"Some people are just perfect as they are. They don’t need stimulants. Us imperfections, we need help, but Charlie Watts didn’t need any, he was immaculate, an immaculate conception. Bless his heart."

The series forms part of The Rolling Stones At 60 season on the BBC, as the band celebrate their 60th anniversary.

Every episode of My Life As A Rolling Stone will be available on BBC iPlayer from 2 July.

The Mick Jagger film will air on BBC Two on 2 July, with the Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards episodes following on 9 July and the Charlie Watts film completing the series later in July.

Source: Press Association

[www.rte.ie]

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 28, 2022 13:06

Saturday 2 July 2022 BBC2

21:30: My Life as a Rolling Stone Series 1, Mick Jagger
1/4 Mick Jagger talks openly about his 60 years as a musical visionary and cultural idol.

22:30: The Rolling Stones - Live at the Fonda
The Rolling Stones captured live at Hollywood's Fonda Theatre in May 2015.

23:55: The Rolling Stones: Totally Stripped
Watch The Rolling Stones as they rehearse stripped-down versions of their classic songs.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 28, 2022 13:48

Rolling Stones recall The Beatles, rifts and drugs in new BBC series on their 60 years

After 60 years on the road, the Rolling Stones have many tales to share, with the band members giving in-depth interviews to the BBC for a new series about the iconic band

By Mark Jefferies
28 Jun 2022

BBC/Mercury Studios/Steven Klein

They’ve been one of the biggest bands in the world for decades and their gigs are still huge rock’n’roll events even after 60 years on the road.

So it is no surprise that the Rolling Stones have some stories to tell from down the years.

Following the death of Charlie Watts last year, his bandmates Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood sat down for rare in-depth interviews, with the drummer remembered fondly. They may have come close to splitting down the years, and perhaps time isn’t on their side any more but somehow the Stones’ tours roll on like a “relentless juggernaut”, as Keith says.

BBC series My Life as a Rolling Stone begins with a Mick Jagger profile episode at 9.30pm on Saturday, on BBC2, and continues through July as part of the BBC’s Rolling Stones at 60 season.

All four episodes profiling Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie will be available to watch from Saturday
on BBC iPlayer. The Stones will also be giving their latest generation of fans musical satisfaction when they play the BST Festival at London’s Hyde Park on Sunday, July 3.

To celebrate, here are some of their memorable moments in the band’s own words…

Being on the road for 60 years

Keith: “To do it this long, Mick and I look at each and think ‘We must be doing something right’. I don’t know what it is.

“The idea of turning people on for 60 years is like ‘Whoa!’. The thing is relentless, it is like a juggernaut.

“God knows what I would be like if I did not do this. My wildest nightmare.

“Really, all you wanted to do was play music and try to get it better and get the band tighter.

“Not many people get the chance to do this with thousands of people, you know, as a job.

“When you are exchanging that much appreciation to each other it is profoundly touching.

“Music is a resilient thing and sometimes I think god, it is the only thing we have got that we can trust.

“I gave up many years ago trying to figure out why and how it works. I found the best remedy is to put it in a room and go ‘1,2,3,4’ and all the problems go away.”

Charlie Watts, who died last year

Mick: “I miss Charlie on many levels. Like, I miss wanting to play him this new groove and I want to say how badly England have done in the Test match yesterday. You know, I miss him a lot.”

Keith: ”I am still dealing with it. Charlie was the engine. The best drummer England has ever produced. People like Charlie Watts are very hard to put in a pocket. They don’t make pockets for people like Charlie. He is a totally unique guy.”

Ronnie: “When Charlie passed, we were mind-blown. We have the spirit of Charlie playing with us all the time.

“One word – particular. Clothes had a layer of tissue paper between each shirt, each sock, each underpant, each jacket. Pristine would be the word. Not one thing out of place.”

Mick as frontman and leader

Mick: “I don’t mind being in control of situations. I am not a control freak. That must be really boring. Someone has to be in control of an enterprise like this.

“It is not only about music. I am representing the band, in a way – to make sure they don’t get f***ed.

“One of my big jobs is to be a big show-off. I mean, that is really what it is. That is my job for two hours – to make people feel good and bring people a joyous experience so they have a great evening. That is what I think my role is.

“I am lucky I can still sing the same notes [as] when I was 19 but I have not got a great voice. It is OK. It does its job.”

Ronnie on Mick: “He is more of a controller and an organiser than he knows. It is just what he is built to do. He wants to see this ship sail, you know. He knows what he wants and you know when he knows, cause he starts to respond and starts to sing and it is ‘Voom, voom, voom’.”

Keith on Mick : “He is the best frontman in the business. He will get up there and do his stuff and lay it on you and he means it. What you see is what you get, you know. I mean there is loads of facets and variations on him but he is really an honourable man, you know... under all that crap. Ha-ha.”

Drugs

Mick: “Everyone was taking far too many drugs then [in the 1970s]. The band should have gone into rehab for a year, including me. But you take the rough with the smooth.”

Keith: “The hard stuff ain’t called the hard stuff for nothing and you better be hard enough to deal with it.”

Ronnie: ”In the crazy days it got out of hand when it was the base pipe. I used to take it at parties and thought it was the best thing going. It got to the point where it wasn’t funny any more.

“Getting high with that pipe was dangerous. You’d do anything for it.

“Mick said, ‘Do you need a little help?’ and I said, ‘Sure, I’ll give it a go’. That was my first rehab. After doing it for so many years your body thinks it needs it but I can’t handle it any more. It was the beginning of me seeing the light.”

On 1967 arrest for acid possession after party at Keith’s mansion Redlands

Mick: “When you are on acid and being busted it is very odd. It is not fun being busted at all – being busted on acid is really grim. It was a complete waste of everybody’s time. B*****ks, basically.”

On 1977 arrest for heroin possession in Toronto and threat of 20 years in jail

Keith: “I think the reason I was taking it was how to deal with fame and pressure. I would not recommend it to anybody but it is a rough old world and sometimes you need something to blank it out.

“It was the realisation in Canada that I was jeopardising the band. If they were going to put me away it was bye-bye.

“If I was going to get out of this and not have to [go] cold turkey in jail I am going to go and clean up.”

The Beatles

Keith: “They got cleaned up by their manager to make them more palatable for the public, otherwise they were exactly the same as we
were, filthy swines!

“We were working the clubs in London. The Beatle s had a hit with Love Me Do and what a great record! Our job was to be the premier rhythm and blues band in London. We managed that but we had no idea of progressing beyond that stage.

“We were envious. They were doing what we wanted. They got it – they could make records. The holy grail was to make records. Without The Beatles, the Stones would never have been there. We would have never got in a recording studio without them.”

Ronnie joining

Ronnie: “I was sitting on this sofa one night and Mick Taylor was there and Mick Jagger was there. At one point, Taylor leans over to Jagger and says: ‘I am leaving the band. And I am leaving right now’.

Mick asked if I would join and I said: ‘I thought you would never ask.’ My feet never touched the ground for many years.

“I had that feeling of coming home when I joined the band. Keith found his little brother.”

Keith: “Ronnie is my great mate. He is a funny f***er. What he brought was a whole new sense of purpose.”

Keith and his shyness

Mick: “He is terribly shy. As I knew him as a child and growing up to be a teenager, I know what he is really, really like. Nobody knows him from that period except for me, I think. You can see from the interviews he is introverted naturally. I think if you are an extrovert in showbusiness you are in a good place. If you are an introvert it will probably cause you some anguish or some discomfort or anxiety.”

Keith: “When it comes to shyness I don’t really know where to put it. I sometimes think I use it as a weapon. You get shy of these crowds and stuff.

“I would have been quite happy to make all these records totally anonymously but, of course, that is not possible. You have got to get out there and put yourself out. I quite enjoyed that but I guess my refuge was heroin, it was drugs and there I stayed as long as I could.”

Mick and Keith's relationship

Mick: “The thing about bands is that it is a band. It is a collection of individuals. People say: ‘Oh, you are just like brothers, it is like a family.’ It is not like a family at all. I actually have a brother and I know what it is like to have a brother and it is not like being with Keith at all. It is friendship and working together. As in friendships or love affairs, people have roles to play but those roles change. It is in a state of flux so it is never the same.”

Keith: “It is like: ‘Oh, they have had an argument. Oh, my God.’ I mean it is all storms in tea cups. Before I know it, Mick and I are having to make up fights just to keep everybody happy, you know? So it gets ridiculous. No, we are tight.”

Ronnie on healing rift between Mick and Keith in the 1980s

Ronnie: “I rang Mick and said: ‘If I got Keith in 15 minutes, would you talk to him.’ He said: ‘Yeah, I would.’ So I prepared the ground. I had to keep this thing in motion, whatever it takes. There is a bond that can’t be broken.”

School

Keith: “Being kids, you don’t realise you are being streamed to one aspect of society or being dumped or being elevated. I took the middle route and got expelled, which I heartily recommend to any red-blooded English schoolboy. As far as I was concerned, they heaped humiliation on me and you are not going to take it. Maybe after that, you start to question other forms of authority. There is always something about being told what to do without any reason.”

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Re: Date of Documentary announced?
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: June 28, 2022 13:54

Irix
"My Life as a Rolling Stone" - (Series 1 Episode 1 of 4) - BBC TWO - 02-Jul-2022, 21:30 - [www.BBC.co.uk] , [www.BBC.co.uk] . Trailer: [www.BBC.co.uk] .

Gee, according to the voice in the trailer, it's called "My Life as a Rollin Stone" eye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 28, 2022 17:30

My Life as a Rolling Stone, review: come on BBC, we’ve heard this all before

While satisfying die-hard fans who will do anything to hear the Stones go down memory lane, this BBC four-parter contains few revelations

By Ed Power
28 June 2022

Mark Seliger

“What most documentaries do is repeat the same thing over and over,” states Mick Jagger at the start of the BBC’s My Life as a Rolling Stone. He says that as if it’s a bad thing – but the makers of this four-part series celebrating the Stones’ 60th anniversary appear to have taken it on as a suggestion.

No Stones cliché is left unturned as directors Oliver Murray and Clare Tavernor trace the history of rock’s original bad boys from the early British blues scene to their present day status as an age-defying juggernaut. The big coup has been to secure lengthy individual interviews with the three surviving members (the instalment focusing on late drummer Charlie Watts leans heavily on the archives) – along with laudatory contributions from Rod Stewart, Tina Turner, Jon Bon Jovi and others.

But that’s as innovative as it gets in a documentary so generic it could have gone out on BBC4’s Friday Night Music without anyone batting an eye-lid.

There is some attempt at encouraging the band to dig deeper. It is suggested (very politely) to Jagger that he might be a control freak. Richards is asked about his flirtations with heroin. Having visited these topics a thousand times already, the Stones bat the questions back effortlessly.

“I’m not a control freak. Someone has to be in control of an enterprise like this,” shrugs Jagger. “It’s a rough old world, sometimes you need something to blank it out,” says Richards, with a deflective chuckle.

My Life as a Rolling Stone will delight Stones die-hards, who never tire of hearing Richards talk about his love of the blues. Or of watching old footage of Jagger being marched away by police after his 1967 drugs arrest at Richards’ Redlands mansion (Jagger worried what his mum would think).

One or two new nuggets are also uncovered. Jagger, the focus of part one, takes issue with the idea that he is the band's pop wizard and Richards the haggard bluesman. It was Richards, he says, who noticed what the Beatles were doing and resolved to follow them to the top of the charts. And it was the guitarist who was behind some of the Stones' catchiest moments. “Keith likes to write pop songs: lots and lots of pop songs,” says Jagger. “Ruby Tuesday, Angie.. these emanate from Keith originally.”

These are charming insights and there is always a vicarious thrill in hearing old rockers look back on their years of excess, as Ronnie Wood does in his episode. “Everyone was taking far too many drugs then,” he recalls. “The whole band should have gotten into f**king rehab for a year, all of them, including me. But you know, you take the rough with the smooth.”

But the documentary could have looked forward as well as back. The Stones’ BST Hyde Park gig and Paul McCartney’s at least as miraculous Glastonbury headline set at the age of 80 (both only last Saturday) make it clear that this generation of golden rockers have a few encores left in them yet. And, as we all bask in the feelgood factor from both events, a new Rolling Stones documentary would have been a fantastic opportunity to herald the group as a living, breathing entity.

My Life as a Rolling Stone is thorough and skilfully assembled – with enthusiastic narration by Sienna Miller. Yet, while adding to the great bonfire of Rolling Stones hagiographies, it ultimately does little to deepen our understanding of a band who remade rock’n’roll in their own image.

My Life as a Rolling Stone begins on July 2 on BBC Two

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

--

Date: June 28, 2022 21:08

I really hope we get some unreleased live shows or something on this. They have so much to give us.

BBC Documentary: My Life as a Rolling Stone
Date: June 27, 2022 18:02

Apologies if this has been posted before but I saw that this new series starts on BBC on Saturday 2nd July. It may be interesting to some as seems new.

Link to short trailer below.

BBC: My Life as a Rolling Stone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-27 18:04 by stourbridgestones.

Re: BBC Documentary: My Life as a Rolling Stone
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 27, 2022 18:30

Posted also here - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 28, 2022 12:15

Mick Jagger episode on BBC Two on 2 July,

Ronnie Wood & Keith Richards episodes on 9 July,

Charlie Watts episode later on 23 July.

"Every episode of 'My Life As A Rolling Stone' will be available on BBC iPlayer from 2 July."

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-28 12:20 by Irix.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 28, 2022 20:00

It's getting old, like myself. What is possibly left to say? Bill never existed? It was a figment of your aural imagination? The last thirty years have been basically recreating a nostalgic past over and over and over for a band that peaked in 1973? (Put on Brussels and dispute it if you dare).

Then I forget that there's a whole new generation that might not know as much as we do. (Like most every sane person.) Someday a dispassionate documentarian will do a truthful history of the band, minus the drama, or at least look at them objectively.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: June 29, 2022 07:17

well you could just watch the quiet one by the same director if you want your bill part

(it's what i plan to do after charlie's part)

and ok i just listened to brussels (both shows) absoulutly jaw droppingly incredible

now i'm gonna go listen to el mocambo and brixton academy and have funwinking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-29 07:20 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: nickdominguez ()
Date: June 29, 2022 15:01

Looking forward to watching this when released.

Our newly founded company working on behalf of Spanish Tony Sanchez's personal collection of photography work are happy to have worked with the team providing a few unseen photos that will be published in the docu-series.

Spanish Tony Media Archives

Nick@spanishtonymedia.com IG - Spanishtonymedia

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 29, 2022 15:21

ProfessorWolf
well you could just watch the quiet one by the same director if you want your bill part

and ok i just listened to brussels (both shows) absoulutly jaw droppingly incredible

now i'm gonna go listen to el mocambo and brixton academy and have funwinking smiley

I also did this - listened to Brussels and El Mo back to back, and as much as I love the Taylor era, I honestly find El Mo to be the superior live album. I think hands down it the best live album in their catalog now. Followed by Brussels. There is an energy that I've never heard on any album from them on it. It is astounding.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 30, 2022 02:22

"Yesterday we hosted a special screening of our new four-part series “My Life As A Rolling Stone”, which celebrates 60 years of @RollingStones and their incredible journey.

We can’t wait for the first episode to hit screens at 9:30pm on @BBCTwo this Saturday 2nd July!"

[twitter.com]

Date: July 1, 2022 04:13

I guess we are not getting a review of the preview. Bummer.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 2, 2022 03:30

So glad the gig at Hyde Park #2 is gonna be on Sunday evening as I'll be able to watch on UK BBC 2 Saturday, the first part of the new Stones 4 part anniversary programmes with Live at the Fonda, and Totally Stripped following on.

All starting at 9.30pm and ending at 1.30am.

Should be a good night, as will Sunday night be at Hyde Park. smileys with beer

Date: July 2, 2022 06:56

VoodooLounge13
ProfessorWolf

I also did this - listened to Brussels and El Mo back to back, and as much as I love the Taylor era, I honestly find El Mo to be the superior live album. I think hands down it the best live album in their catalog now. Followed by Brussels. There is an energy that I've never heard on any album from them on it. It is astounding.

i don't know if i'd use the term superior to describe elmocambo in relation to brussels

i'd say to me brussels is more technically impressive and intense listening experience

but el mocambo is more enjoyable looser and fun if not more technically impressive in its display of musicianship and skill compared to brussels

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: July 2, 2022 10:46

The Wiltern gig is only 69 minutes.

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: July 2, 2022 11:52

All episodes available now on BBC iPlayer

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: July 2, 2022 12:58

Has anyone watched the Wiltern gig? Which songs are included?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 2, 2022 13:20

IsakSun
Has anyone watched the Wiltern gig? Which songs are included?

The Wiltern gig? Ist this to be shown on TV? Don't find anything about it.

Posted by: folon ()
Date: July 2, 2022 13:39

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 2, 2022 14:25

Any chance to watch the stuff from outside the UK?

Date: July 2, 2022 14:48

StonedRambler
Any chance to watch the stuff from outside the UK?

same question

Date: July 2, 2022 15:12

I think we need a VPN connection. Hope to get somewhere one. Maybe we have to pay for that.

Date: July 2, 2022 15:29

hockenheim95
I think we need a VPN connection. Hope to get somewhere one. Maybe we have to pay for that.
I tried that with Glastonbury and it didn't work unfortunately

Date: July 2, 2022 15:30

StonedRambler
hockenheim95

For me it worked back then but I don't remember how I did it.

Date: July 2, 2022 15:33

hockenheim95
StonedRambler
hockenheim95

For me it worked back then but I don't remember how I did it.
Irix send a file here that I could open with VLC to stream Glastonbury. Irix, could you do that again please? winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home