Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 12 of 17
Re: Amsterdam and Bern shows postponed - Mick has got Covid-19
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 14, 2022 11:50

I guess that Jagger has been prescribed a 5 days antiviral treatment, so the doctors assessed that in a week he should be ok. That's just a guess, though.

Re: Amsterdam show tonight postponed
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 14, 2022 11:57

Hairball
Somebody had mentioned Matt Clifford had also tested positive...has there been any statement or confirmation on that?
None of the articles that I've read mention anyone other than Mick.

No statement or confirmation. I just heard people talk about that yesterday here in Amsterdam. Hence the "word is" part.

Posted by: vlaci66 ()
Date: June 14, 2022 11:57

All statements are agreed with the medical staff.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: June 14, 2022 12:00

And since we are all guessing, I think it was a matter of a positive PCR test that came late in Amsterdam, when everything was set to go, and the show had to be cancelled at that moment.

Imagine to have to tell everybody that Mick just tested positive, had no symptoms at all, but even so the show had to be cancelled... Probably people wouldn't react so well.

Posted by: thorgal34 ()
Date: June 14, 2022 12:14

Do you think dutch promoter will refund Lucky dips, we picked up ours 15 minuttes before cancellation. Well, I am not sure If we will be able to fly to Amsterdam once again, and info from MOJO says nothing about refunds. Of course Health comes first, and I am not upset about canceled gig. Guess we'll have to wait...

Date: June 14, 2022 12:15

Topi
Hairball
Somebody had mentioned Matt Clifford had also tested positive...has there been any statement or confirmation on that?
None of the articles that I've read mention anyone other than Mick.

No statement or confirmation. I just heard people talk about that yesterday here in Amsterdam. Hence the "word is" part.

The only source that is qualified to make any statements are the Rolling Stones official. There's a lot of money at stake and the Stones don't want any confusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-14 12:28 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 14, 2022 12:23

Wild Slivovitz
I guess that Jagger has been prescribed a 5 days antiviral treatment, so the doctors assessed that in a week he should be ok. That's just a guess, though.
That's my best guess as well. A colleague of mine who has underlying health issues got such treatment when she contracted covid same time as me. She recovered much more quickly than I did and without the residual effects (in my case, fatigue).

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 14, 2022 12:26

Wild Slivovitz

Yes but the next show was 4 days after he tested positive not a week, so something is wrong here, i think you will see the next show also postponed or it makes zero sense.

If he doesn't have symptoms but tested positive and postponed the show then the high likelihood of other band members testing positive could effectively mean the end of the tour as it can take weeks to pass through each band and crew member as covid is highly contagious right now. It took over a month to pass through my family recently and none of us were sick beyond a cold but test results are test results, we had coronavirus in our system.

As i said yesterday covid isn't still a thing in the UK, it's viewed as a cold status by many people so hopefully if everyone feels healthy in the band regardless of testing i'm hoping they do the London shows, otherwise it's time to give it up guys and enjoy your retirement, you've earned it and you owe us nothing, The Stones have given far more than i could have ever wished for.

My heart goes out to all you lovely people that were at or going to the show yesterday, must have been such an anti climax for you all, devastating to be so close and yet so far.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 14, 2022 12:50

gotdablouse
How can they be sure that Milan is a "go" unless Mick is already negative and feeling zero symptoms ? At this point it's just "hoping for the best" really, they can always say later "unfortunately, blah, blah, blah..."

how can they be sure? Obviously they can't. All that they are saying is that Milan is not canceled (yet) and that they intend to do the show

Date: June 14, 2022 12:56

keefriffhards
Wild Slivovitz

Yes but the next show was 4 days after he tested positive not a week, so something is wrong here, i think you will see the next show also postponed or it makes zero sense.

If he doesn't have symptoms but tested positive and postponed the show then the high likelihood of other band members testing positive could effectively mean the end of the tour as it can take weeks to pass through each band and crew member as covid is highly contagious right now. It took over a month to pass through my family recently and none of us were sick beyond a cold but test results are test results, we had coronavirus in our system.

As i said yesterday covid isn't still a thing in the UK, it's viewed as a cold status by many people so hopefully if everyone feels healthy in the band regardless of testing i'm hoping they do the London shows, otherwise it's time to give it up guys and enjoy your retirement, you've earned it and you owe us nothing, The Stones have given far more than i could have ever wished for.

My heart goes out to all you lovely people that were at or going to the show yesterday, must have been such an anti climax for you all, devastating to be so close and yet so far.

That's Bern, isn't it? Then it's Milan, 8 days after Amsterdam. Bern is postponed.

Re: Mick Has Covid
Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: June 14, 2022 12:57

lem motlow
This thread is legit-

“Tonight’s show canceled “ doesn’t quite cover the magnitude of the situation.
This is a really scary, huge fckng deal.
Mick is 78 years old and had heart surgery just three years ago.

He’s been Superman for so long that we take it for granted, as if nothing can faze him and he’ll shake it off in a few days.
I pray that’s the case but this isn’t throat problems we’re talking about.

Well said my friend! It is a very big deal indeed. We do take Mick for granted. And he really is a physical, and physiological, phenomenon. But he is not superhuman. Looking back over several threads from the last couple of years, there seems to be a generally accepted view that Mick will outlive everyone else in The Stones, and may, indeed, live for decades more. We all fervently hope he does. But let us also keep a perspective. Life can kick us in the teeth when we least expect it.

My own father was equally strong, vibrant, energetic and active. He looked, lived, and behaved like a man half his age. My mother suffered from indifferent, indeed fragile, health all her life. Yet she outlived my father by nearly fourteen years. I have never forgotten the lesson that taught me.

I hope Mick recovers fully. I hope he gets back to doing what he clearly loves. But most of all I hope he puts himself, his health, and his family first. If this is the beginning of the end of The Stones then so be it. Let us all be grateful for what they have given us, and let us love them with grace, generosity and compassion now that the ravages of time are, finally, beginning to creep up on them.

And please, let no one think I'm being unnecessarily dramatic, fatalistic or disrespectful in what I have written. I have loved this band, and these guys for almost every one of the 60 odd years of their existence. They are the cornerstone of, and the foundation upon which, my love of music stands. A world without The Stones as a performing entity would be awful. But a world from which the members of the band had physically departed would be far far worse...

Date: June 14, 2022 13:01

slewan
gotdablouse
How can they be sure that Milan is a "go" unless Mick is already negative and feeling zero symptoms ? At this point it's just "hoping for the best" really, they can always say later "unfortunately, blah, blah, blah..."

how can they be sure? Obviously they can't. All that they are saying is that Milan is not canceled (yet) and that they intend to do the show

No they are saying the show wil go ahead and will take place as sheduled.

That is more than intend etc. I do think it's strange to put it this firmly, but every word is carefully decided for sure.

Date: June 14, 2022 13:03

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhards
Wild Slivovitz

That's Bern, isn't it? Then it's Milan, 8 days after Amsterdam. Bern is postponed.

I stand corrected, thanks DP , it makes more sense now and could be like Clapton last month, just taking the precaution and do the right thing, hopefully Mick will be up and running in a weeks time thumbs up

Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: June 14, 2022 13:10

Covid logistics is one thing, and then the tour logistics is another beast to deal with reschedules. At first I thought they could just cancel Bern in order to have Amsterdam later, and move Milan between London shows. But that is impossible to rearrange on the fly between moving the stages and finding dates that the venue is wide open for +/- 3 days surrounding show night.

I really want to do Milan as that’s my good friends last show. He came for just Amsterdam, Bern and Milan from Australia.. such tough luck. If Milan is cancelled too, I think I’ll skip London entirely and pick up the tour again by Brussels

Date: June 14, 2022 13:16

bengigan
Covid logistics is one thing, and then the tour logistics is another beast to deal with reschedules. At first I thought they could just cancel Bern in order to have Amsterdam later, and move Milan between London shows. But that is impossible to rearrange on the fly between moving the stages and finding dates that the venue is wide open for +/- 3 days surrounding show night.

on the other hand they have to advantages:
1. gaps between the two Hyde Park shows and between the second Hype Park show and the following show and the next shows (Bruxelles)
2. since they'll used the Hyde Park stage instead of the own one at the Hyde Park shows they can move their own stage around more freely.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 14, 2022 13:18

Hyde Park Stage right I oddly found myself looking forward to that

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 14, 2022 13:19

There are gaps between HP 1/ HP 2 and HP 2 and Bruxelles, maybe intentionally for a case like this?
Given the many tours and concerts that are happening this year (which alle need crews) it might be better to squeeze those shows in there instead of prolonging the tour.

Re: Mick Has Covid
Date: June 14, 2022 13:27

GerardHennessy
lem motlow
This thread is legit-

“Tonight’s show canceled “ doesn’t quite cover the magnitude of the situation.
This is a really scary, huge fckng deal.
Mick is 78 years old and had heart surgery just three years ago.

He’s been Superman for so long that we take it for granted, as if nothing can faze him and he’ll shake it off in a few days.
I pray that’s the case but this isn’t throat problems we’re talking about.

Well said my friend! It is a very big deal indeed. We do take Mick for granted. And he really is a physical, and physiological, phenomenon. But he is not superhuman. Looking back over several threads from the last couple of years, there seems to be a generally accepted view that Mick will outlive everyone else in The Stones, and may, indeed, live for decades more. We all fervently hope he does. But let us also keep a perspective. Life can kick us in the teeth when we least expect it.

My own father was equally strong, vibrant, energetic and active. He looked, lived, and behaved like a man half his age. My mother suffered from indifferent, indeed fragile, health all her life. Yet she outlived my father by nearly fourteen years. I have never forgotten the lesson that taught me.

I hope Mick recovers fully. I hope he gets back to doing what he clearly loves. But most of all I hope he puts himself, his health, and his family first. If this is the beginning of the end of The Stones then so be it. Let us all be grateful for what they have given us, and let us love them with grace, generosity and compassion now that the ravages of time are, finally, beginning to creep up on them.

And please, let no one think I'm being unnecessarily dramatic, fatalistic or disrespectful in what I have written. I have loved this band, and these guys for almost every one of the 60 odd years of their existence. They are the cornerstone of, and the foundation upon which, my love of music stands. A world without The Stones as a performing entity would be awful. But a world from which the members of the band had physically departed would be far far worse...

I agree with your sentiments, Keith also will probably live into his 90's if he stays away from Booze and Cigarettes. Mick is taking dangerous risks pushing a nearly 79 year old body to it's limits, its like the Tortoise and the Hare.
Athletes don't have a particularly longer lifespan than people who take moderate exercise but Mick and Keith have the long life gene to their advantage.

In some ways because i want to see the remaining Stones live a lot longer i wish they would tone it down a bit when it comes to performing, i feel all three of them are pushing harder right now than what is good for them with Stadium shows, even Ronnie and Keith are out of their comfort zone physically completing these long high energy concerts, i just hope they get through this tour okay, they are all very brave and i admire them but there is no way i would be doing what they do at almost 80 even if i could, especially considering they don;t need the money.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 14, 2022 13:44

At Anfield, l was in Pit B. l noticed that in the latter part of the show Mick was at the end of the catwalk and purposely sprinted all the way back to the main stage.

Watching his face, it was like he was challenging himself to do it and probably get his adrenalin pumping. The sprint looked a bit unnecessary from a performance perspective; it didn’t enhance the song, but he somehow needed that buzz.
To me, it gave a clear insight into the degree of determination in his psychology.
That Charge of the Light Brigade mentality could either be to his benefit or undoing as time matches on.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: StonedInGva ()
Date: June 14, 2022 14:27

To: GerardHennessy (your msg today at 12:57) Very well expressed, and I fully agree with your sentiments. Incidentally, very high temperatures are expected in Bern on Friday, which could have added to the difficulty for Mick to perform at his usual energy level. I was looking forward to go to this show, hope it can be rescheduled.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-14 14:42 by StonedInGva.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: June 14, 2022 14:29

[www.bd.nl]

In short: Mojo (organisation) aims on reschuding the Amsterdam gig this year.

That's quite a remarkable quote. I would expect it to be rescheduled this summer. When they talk about 'this year', September / oktober also seems an option (?)

Date: June 14, 2022 14:35

Could make sense. They can plan 6-8 gigs. All the ones who are (going to be) postponed + a few new ones to make up for the losses.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: June 14, 2022 14:39

In october we are in a completely different COVID-season, more uncertain than summer. It would be a bad sign if they postpone to autumn.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 14, 2022 14:44

Seeing as Keith reckons he found the cure for the common cold back in the 70s maybe he can up with something for Covid now? So all is not lost! grinning smiley

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: June 14, 2022 14:49

john lomax
I was just thinking about HP1 - if it doesn’t go ahead it can’t be postponed in the same form cannot (ie because it’s part of a festival……). Unless they do the show later that week (ie before HP2) the only the option would be for the Stones to do a standalone London gig at Wembley or Twickenham or some other stadium?

A few years ago Elton John was the headline act at the HP festival, and he had to pull out at short notice. A day or two, I think.
They still staged the gig with the undercard, refunded all tickets and made it free entry.

Date: June 14, 2022 15:04

sjs12
Seeing as Keith reckons he found the cure for the common cold back in the 70s maybe he can up with something for Covid now? So all is not lost! grinning smiley

[www.theguardian.com]

it was not Keith' discovery. Heroin was original a cough syrup until they found out about the side effects, see: [de.m.wikipedia.org]

Date: June 14, 2022 15:11

jackflash27
[www.bd.nl]

That's quite a remarkable quote. I would expect it to be rescheduled this summer. When they talk about 'this year', September / oktober also seems an option (?)

I don't see what's remarkable about it. They just neither want to say the show will happen sometime in the (distant) future nor do the actually know when it will happen.
Doing those two shows in fall doesn't make sense: 1. the Covid situation won't be better in fall, 2. if it's only two shows that have to be postponed it makes logistic-wise more sense to do them during or at the end of the current tour (late June/early July or in early August (the stage etc. is still in Europe…).
Doing the postponed shows much later only makes sense in case more than just two shows have to be postponed.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: June 14, 2022 15:20

On 30/31 july the soccer season starts in the Amsterdam arena. That might make it difficult to reschedule immediatly after Stockholm?

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: June 14, 2022 15:22

slewan
jackflash27
[www.bd.nl]

Doing those two shows in fall doesn't make sense: 1. the Covid situation won't be better in fall, 2. if it's only two shows that have to be postponed it makes logistic-wise more sense to do them during or at the end of the current tour (late June/early July or in early August (the stage etc. is still in Europe…).

Exactly my point. I would expect them to make a statement like 'will be rescheduled asap, this summer, or something like that'. They now say 'this year', which makes me think they are also looking at fall dates, which brings uncertainties (Covid / new practice sessions needed, weather uncertain, etc). Oh well, I'm probably analyzing it too much. Let's hope it will be done before end of the summer.

Posted by: StonesChild ()
Date: June 14, 2022 15:29

According to a hotelier in Bern this morning the word there is that the city is unlikely to be able to take the rescheduled gig this summer due to accommodation and other logistical issues (I assume because it's a small city)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 12 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1147
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home