Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Darryl Jones documentary
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 3, 2022 19:16

Bring On The Night is a superb album.

Darryl was also part of the studio band with which Sting recorded Dream of the Blue turtles.

From Sting's own website ""First of all there's Branford Marsalis, who isn't good at anything. Then there's Omar, who thinks he's a good drummer but really he's nowhere as good as me. But I like him. Then there's Darryl, whom I'm trying to teach to play the bass. He's kind of cute. Finally there's this joker called Kenny Kirkland who sounds as if he's playing with boxing gloves on. It's a pretty good band."

C

Date: October 4, 2022 22:28

24FPS

As far as I can read on his Wiki page, Darryl NEVER played with a rock and roll band before Charlie picked him for the Stones. Think about that. Charlie added a slight jazz swing to the Stones. I still don't know what Darryl brings to the table. Do you really think Charlie was the best person to choose a rock and roll bass player for the Stones? He admitted he didn't think much about what Bill played all those years until he had to go back and listen to the songs.

Bill had a rough edge because he grew up in harder circumstances. It comes through in the music. Darryl is real smooth, like solo Sting. But that's not rock and roll. I'll be interested to know how long this documentary is. His history seems pretty straightforward. Wasn't there a Billy Preston documentary at one point? Now that would be cool to watch.

Darryl's own page of musical credits here, doesn't show much rock album appearances except for The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-04 22:29 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 5, 2022 01:03

Well since The Stones made the unthinkable choice of working with Darryl for 29 years of their 60 year career, perhaps some of us should draw a line and say nothing after "Sex Drive" counts. Others might enjoy the documentary.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2022 01:26

ROCKMAN

Date: October 5, 2022 03:13

Here's something interesting to note.

Darryl was part of two concert tour events, where each won a Grammy Award for Best Music Video-Long Form.

Sting – Bring On The Night (1985)

Madonna - Blond Ambition World Tour Live (1990)

The irony is that The Stones never won any Grammy Awards when Bill Wyman was in the band. I'm not counting the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award the band received in 1986.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 5, 2022 04:14

Darryl has done his job. Personally I’ve appreciated the way he plays, it’s a different style than Bill’s but ..
the way I see it, Darryl being with the Stones so long, after Bill, is yet another example of the professional good fortune the Stones have had - Mick T after Brian; Ronnie after Mick T; Darryl; and now sadly but for the good of the band , Steve.
extraordinary good fortune it seems to me
- and of course we benefit .. the Stones are still working.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 5, 2022 04:38

24FPS
Stoneage
Taylor1
Stoneage
Surely Darryl is a nice guy but he's overqualified for the job. You can have a jazz saxophonist in a rock and roll band but a jazz bassist is stretching it since the bass is the foundation of rock and roll.
I think Charlie's love of jazz music led to this decision - which was the wrong one. For both parts. Not financially though...
I don’t hear in his playing any rock magic, I don’t think he is overqualified to play rock.I don’t know what that means.

To be overqualified is not always something good. Jazz and rock are different forms of music, jazz the more complex one (even if they mix and come together at some level).
To play rock music for a jazz musician is to take one step down the ladder.

Please. Jazz is not a better music, it's a different music. Just because you can play jazz doesn't mean you can play rock. Sometimes jazz just sounds like over indulgent noodling, playing for themselves. I said sometimes. I have great respect for a lot of jazz musicians. Bill is steeped in rock and roll, first hearing it while in the RAF in Germany, on America's Armed Forces radio. It was in his bones. He played it with the Cliftons before he ever joined the Stones. The Stones turned him onto blues and he took to it, much like they took to some of the rock he knew that they didn't.

As far as I can read on his Wiki page, Darryl NEVER played with a rock and roll band before Charlie picked him for the Stones. Think about that. Charlie added a slight jazz swing to the Stones. I still don't know what Darryl brings to the table. Do you really think Charlie was the best person to choose a rock and roll bass player for the Stones? He admitted he didn't think much about what Bill played all those years until he had to go back and listen to the songs.

Bill had a rough edge because he grew up in harder circumstances. It comes through in the music. Darryl is real smooth, like solo Sting. But that's not rock and roll. I'll be interested to know how long this documentary is. His history seems pretty straightforward. Wasn't there a Billy Preston documentary at one point? Now that would be cool to watch.

and i'm sure growing up on the south side of chicago in the 60's and 70's was just a walk in the park for darrylwinking smiley

Date: October 5, 2022 07:06

In 2015, The Dream of the Blue Turtles rhythm section reunite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-05 07:07 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 5, 2022 13:35

Rocky Dijon
I've been on the receiving end, too by offending someone with a sarcastic post that was interpreted literally. I regret it, but you can't undo it. You can only learn not to repeat.

As for this topic, the documentary description interests me, particularly his childhood. I like Darryl's work on VOOODOO LOUNGE a great deal. It fit well and they sounded like a tight band. There's a world of a difference between post-Wyman studio and live work. The stage show they've developed over the decades isn't something I love, though it has moments. I love Steve Jordan on MAIN OFFENDER, but don't love what I hear in concert with The Stones yet. I did hear a difference between 2021 and 2022, though. Ultimately, it's Mick and Keith at the end of their careers working with who they're comfortable with.

Hi Rocky!
What did you particularly like about Darryl's style on that album?
I consider it particularly monotonous and feel a simple 'following' of the songs without a minimum of variation and originality. "Love Is Strong" is just one example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-05 13:37 by KRiffhard.

Date: October 5, 2022 18:11

I love the sound of VOODOO LOUNGE better than the songs themselves much of the time. The band was very tight and I was shocked how much of a band they sounded like with a new bass player. It is similar to how much more of a band the Winos sound on MAIN OFFENDER vs. TALK IS CHEAP. The band sound is much tighter than on STEEL WHEELS and certainly above DIRTY WORK which had two great guitar players in sympathy with one another when most everything else (writing, playing, production) had fallen apart. Much as I enjoy BRIDGES, it's very much vive la difference.

Date: October 5, 2022 18:11

Rockman

Terry, do I share photos of you without permission? Well, at least not at IORR...

Posted by: Satisfaction ()
Date: October 5, 2022 20:20

Here Darryl talks about Charlie.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 5, 2022 21:12

ProfessorWolf
24FPS
Stoneage
Taylor1
Stoneage
Surely Darryl is a nice guy but he's overqualified for the job. You can have a jazz saxophonist in a rock and roll band but a jazz bassist is stretching it since the bass is the foundation of rock and roll.
I think Charlie's love of jazz music led to this decision - which was the wrong one. For both parts. Not financially though...
I don’t hear in his playing any rock magic, I don’t think he is overqualified to play rock.I don’t know what that means.

To be overqualified is not always something good. Jazz and rock are different forms of music, jazz the more complex one (even if they mix and come together at some level).

Please. Jazz is not a better music, it's a different music. Just because you can play jazz doesn't mean you can play rock. Sometimes jazz just sounds like over indulgent noodling, playing for themselves. I said sometimes. I have great respect for a lot of jazz musicians. Bill is steeped in rock and roll, first hearing it while in the RAF in Germany, on America's Armed Forces radio. It was in his bones. He played it with the Cliftons before he ever joined the Stones. The Stones turned him onto blues and he took to it, much like they took to some of the rock he knew that they didn't.

and i'm sure growing up on the south side of chicago in the 60's and 70's was just a walk in the park for darrylwinking smiley

Read his Wikipedia page. Darryl's growing up sounds suburban bliss compared to Bill's.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2022 22:12

Terry, do I share photos of you without permission? Well, at least not at IORR...

My bad Bill ...
i shoulda used the one of you line-dancing ....hhhhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 5, 2022 23:11

24FPS
ProfessorWolf
24FPS
Stoneage
Taylor1
Stoneage

Read his Wikipedia page. Darryl's growing up sounds suburban bliss compared to Bill's.

well its not a competition but your right i've read stone alone bill may just wins the tough childhood contest

that being said i'm sure i'll learn more about darryl's childhood once i've seen the documentary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-05 23:14 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 7, 2022 17:31

Darryl Jones: In The Blood (2022)
No rating value average rating value is 0.0 of 5. Read 0 Reviews Same page link.

(0)
DVD
$9.99 $19.99 Save 50%Current price is $9.99, Original price is $19.99. You Save 50%.

Ship This Item — Qualifies for Free Shipping

Buy Online, Pick up in Store
Check Availability at Nearby Stores
PRE-ORDER
Available for Pre-Order. This item will be available on October 25, 2022

[www.barnesandnoble.com]

Darryl Jones documentary - "Darryl Jones: In the Blood"
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 7, 2022 17:50

Rolling Stones Bassist Darryl Jones Talks Keith, Miles, and Changing Consciousness

Jones, the subject of a new documentary, loves his life

Written By Brooke Axtell
| October 7, 2022

[www.spin.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 7, 2022 19:59

Re: Darryl Jones documentary - "Darryl Jones: In the Blood"
Date: October 8, 2022 05:44

bye bye johnny
Rolling Stones Bassist Darryl Jones Talks Keith, Miles, and Changing Consciousness

Jones, the subject of a new documentary, loves his life

Written By Brooke Axtell
| October 7, 2022

[www.spin.com]

He should.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 8, 2022 07:12

Hairball
Wondering if Darryl will mention anything about the supposed new Stones album?

The what?? Like Jo Nesbo, pure fiction

Rod

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 8, 2022 08:15

I think it’s a crying shame that The Stones, having played with Darryl for almost 30 years, like so many of us apparently, can’t hear how wrong he is for them. Dead set shame. They REALLY should consult us…

Rod

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 8, 2022 08:35

Thanks for posting that TV interview clip, Cristiano. What a flat out, down to earth, super nice guy he is. And totally humble. He may not be Bill, but Bill is not Darryl, or anyone else. In 2019 after the Santa Clara Bay Area show, we went to the 4 Seasons Palo Alto after the show to the bar/lounge area, and most of the backing band was there. I was taking my-then 5 year old granddaughter around to meet each of them, and Darryl had a little conversation with her, asking her if she liked music and what kind. He had seen that Bernard had just given her a guitar pick and he began to search in his pockets for one of his own, but couldn't find one. He said he didn't have one on him but asked me if we were going to another show on the tour because he would give her one later. Unfortunately, that was our last show on that tour and I told him so.

I think if the Stones were not happy with his playing, he would have been shown the door decades ago. Think about this, Bill played with the band 30 years, and now so too has Darryl. Or almost that long.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-08 08:36 by timbernardis.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 8, 2022 09:29

I agree Plexi! You said it all in your last paragraph.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 8, 2022 17:07

Nice words Plexi, Darryl his a great bass player and a wonderful guy. I loved his movie and frankly, I love everything he does, because it speaks to me on an emotional level. Met him a bunch, you won’t find a nicer Stone!

Date: October 8, 2022 17:36

bitusa2012
I think it’s a crying shame that The Stones, having played with Darryl for almost 30 years, like so many of us apparently, can’t hear how wrong he is for them. Dead set shame. They REALLY should consult us…

Guess they figured we weren't worth it.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 8, 2022 21:03

Rocky Dijon
Personally, I agree with much of what you say. This isn't a thread about Darryl's playing, it's a thread about a Darryl Jones documentary started by the makers of the film who have now backed away from the largest Stones message board because of the reception they received.

This isn't the first time. It's the same reason Bill German and Lawrence Peyser don't post here or why a couple genuine insiders stopped posting here. It's not about having room for cheerleaders only or not having thick skin. These people aren't middle aged fanboys spending hours every day at IORR. They're professionals using the board to market to fans. The anonymity of the internet makes people forget basic manners. If you passed by a festival screening of the documentary and saw Darryl and the producer there, would you take the time to go up and insult him? That's the equivalent of what happened. Again, I agree with much of what you said, but I wouldn't have said on a thread promoting a documentary on the man.

Spot on Rocky Dijon!

plexi

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 10, 2022 05:43

Date: October 12, 2022 20:15

Date: October 12, 2022 23:12

timbernardis
Rocky Dijon
Personally, I agree with much of what you say. This isn't a thread about Darryl's playing, it's a thread about a Darryl Jones documentary started by the makers of the film who have now backed away from the largest Stones message board because of the reception they received.

This isn't the first time. It's the same reason Bill German and Lawrence Peyser don't post here or why a couple genuine insiders stopped posting here. It's not about having room for cheerleaders only or not having thick skin. These people aren't middle aged fanboys spending hours every day at IORR. They're professionals using the board to market to fans. The anonymity of the internet makes people forget basic manners. If you passed by a festival screening of the documentary and saw Darryl and the producer there, would you take the time to go up and insult him? That's the equivalent of what happened. Again, I agree with much of what you said, but I wouldn't have said on a thread promoting a documentary on the man.

Spot on Rocky Dijon!

plexi

Like you said, this isn't a cheerleader's site. If they don't promote here, where do they promote? Of course I wouldn't go up and insult them. I would just move on to something more entertaining in my eyes. I didn't realize we were all supposed to be in lock step with our opinions.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 12, 2022 23:23

Wondering if there will ever be a documentary about Blondie Chaplin?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home