Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Darryl Jones documentary
Date: September 26, 2022 18:22

Darryl Jones seems a good, honest, person. And an extraordinary bass player. Technically he may be light years ahead. BUT....he is not Wyman.

We all know how keith has propelled the band on stage. But no Wyman no charlie means no stones sound (as far as I understand/feel/experience it). Wyman adds an distintive feel to stones music. Unreacheable by anyone other than Bill.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 26, 2022 18:30

emotionalbarbecue
Darryl Jones seems a good, honest, person. And an extraordinary bass player. Technically he may be light years ahead. BUT....he is not Wyman.

We all know how keith has propelled the band on stage. But no Wyman no charlie means no stones sound (as far as I understand/feel/experience it). Wyman adds an distintive feel to stones music. Unreacheable by anyone other than Bill.

And Taylor is not Brian Jones, and Ron Wood is not Mick Taylor, and Niky Hopkins is not Ian Stewart, and Preston is not Nicky Hopkins ...

C

Date: September 26, 2022 21:06

liddas
emotionalbarbecue

And Taylor is not Brian Jones, and Ron Wood is not Mick Taylor, and Niky Hopkins is not Ian Stewart, and Preston is not Nicky Hopkins ...

C

You know what I meant...

grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 27, 2022 07:01

emotionalbarbecue

Pretty much. Don't get me wrong, Darryl did and okay job on Voodoo Lounge. I believe he may have been trying to sound like Bill, and then they told him to be his own man, and he did. Unfortunately he is not a good rock bassist, especially not one steeped in 50s rock like Bill. Close to the bone. I'm sure Darryl is a nice guy. I don't criticize him from that angle. In fact I'm tired of criticizing the guy. Sure it's disrespectful not to play Bill's parts at least somewhat near them. They are a part of the song. Darryl can do a noodling Miss You solo all night and the rubes will ooh and ahh. But it's not Miss You.

Brian provided an ethereal touch that can never be matched. It was somewhat approached on Continental Drift. After his departure, Bill provided the emotional counter point, ethereal in its own way. I don't know another bass player who plays like that. So melodic. Darryl is now like a guy people are interested in not for his playing, but because he gets to hang out with what's left of the Rolling Stones. His playing with them just sort of fades into the background. And that's fine. But nobody has ever posted what it is they like about his playing with the Stones. Or tracks the last 20 odd years that his playing is essential to.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 28, 2022 16:04

Personally, I agree with much of what you say. This isn't a thread about Darryl's playing, it's a thread about a Darryl Jones documentary started by the makers of the film who have now backed away from the largest Stones message board because of the reception they received.

This isn't the first time. It's the same reason Bill German and Lawrence Peyser don't post here or why a couple genuine insiders stopped posting here. It's not about having room for cheerleaders only or not having thick skin. These people aren't middle aged fanboys spending hours every day at IORR. They're professionals using the board to market to fans. The anonymity of the internet makes people forget basic manners. If you passed by a festival screening of the documentary and saw Darryl and the producer there, would you take the time to go up and insult him? That's the equivalent of what happened. Again, I agree with much of what you said, but I wouldn't have said on a thread promoting a documentary on the man.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 28, 2022 16:35

Thanks to Rocky Dijon we don't even need to waste time scrolling up to see what happened. I mean I would watch the film I just meant I'm generally tired of documentaries because they always regurgitate the same few seconds long iconic reels

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 28, 2022 16:59

Will it be distributed in Europe?

C

Date: September 28, 2022 20:45

Rocky Dijon
Personally, I agree with much of what you say. This isn't a thread about Darryl's playing, it's a thread about a Darryl Jones documentary started by the makers of the film who have now backed away from the largest Stones message board because of the reception they received.

This isn't the first time. It's the same reason Bill German and Lawrence Peyser don't post here or why a couple genuine insiders stopped posting here. It's not about having room for cheerleaders only or not having thick skin. These people aren't middle aged fanboys spending hours every day at IORR. They're professionals using the board to market to fans. The anonymity of the internet makes people forget basic manners. If you passed by a festival screening of the documentary and saw Darryl and the producer there, would you take the time to go up and insult him? That's the equivalent of what happened. Again, I agree with much of what you said, but I wouldn't have said on a thread promoting a documentary on the man.

I guess the quandary would be, is this a site for us to share our honest opinions (which is all they are), or a place for others to post their products for sale? It should be both. A couple people expressing what they feel shouldn't deter them. They still get to promote their product. No one I know of has threatened them, or thought much about them at all.

Of course I wouldn't take the time to insult the documentary makers if I ran into them. They have the right to do what they do, and we have the right to say what we want, within limits. I don't hate Darryl Jones. I hate his bass playing in my favorite group of all time.

Date: September 28, 2022 22:12

I've been on the receiving end, too by offending someone with a sarcastic post that was interpreted literally. I regret it, but you can't undo it. You can only learn not to repeat.

As for this topic, the documentary description interests me, particularly his childhood. I like Darryl's work on VOOODOO LOUNGE a great deal. It fit well and they sounded like a tight band. There's a world of a difference between post-Wyman studio and live work. The stage show they've developed over the decades isn't something I love, though it has moments. I love Steve Jordan on MAIN OFFENDER, but don't love what I hear in concert with The Stones yet. I did hear a difference between 2021 and 2022, though. Ultimately, it's Mick and Keith at the end of their careers working with who they're comfortable with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-28 22:53 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: September 29, 2022 06:07

Rocky Dijon
Ultimately, it's Mick and Keith at the end of their careers working with who they're comfortable with.

Yep. It's not about exciting the fans with anything other than greatest hits, delivered at what the market will bear. It began with a slow slide after the No Security Tour. Little diamonds still appear from time to time, Sticky Fingers at the Fonda. A single every few years. But for me it's all about the vault. We got more than we ever deserved. I hope we get more.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 29, 2022 07:51

Most welcome news, and coming so soon!

Date: September 29, 2022 15:19

Actually, it's a long time coming as funding often is with documentaries. Many never make it out of the start gate like Johnny Depp's HAPPY documentary. Glad to see this one will be delivered.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: September 29, 2022 16:11

24FPS
I don't hate Darryl Jones. I hate his bass playing in my favorite group of all time.

Wow - must have been pretty miserable for you seeing them live any time over the last 28 years

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 29, 2022 17:26

Date: September 29, 2022 18:47

24FPS
emotionalbarbecue

Pretty much. Don't get me wrong, Darryl did and okay job on Voodoo Lounge. I believe he may have been trying to sound like Bill, and then they told him to be his own man, and he did. Unfortunately he is not a good rock bassist, especially not one steeped in 50s rock like Bill. Close to the bone. I'm sure Darryl is a nice guy. I don't criticize him from that angle. In fact I'm tired of criticizing the guy. Sure it's disrespectful not to play Bill's parts at least somewhat near them. They are a part of the song. Darryl can do a noodling Miss You solo all night and the rubes will ooh and ahh. But it's not Miss You.

Brian provided an ethereal touch that can never be matched. It was somewhat approached on Continental Drift. After his departure, Bill provided the emotional counter point, ethereal in its own way. I don't know another bass player who plays like that. So melodic. Darryl is now like a guy people are interested in not for his playing, but because he gets to hang out with what's left of the Rolling Stones. His playing with them just sort of fades into the background. And that's fine. But nobody has ever posted what it is they like about his playing with the Stones. Or tracks the last 20 odd years that his playing is essential to.

Try and take any group and tell someone what you like about the bass player. I'm a bass player, and I can't even quantify what I like about other bass players. That's hard to do. I love Led Zeppelin and John Paul Jones, and the best I can say is, "I love the way he plays". Because it's all a personal taste. Darryl Jones is technically one of the best living bass players. He adds a Jazz sensibility to The Stones, same as Charlie did. He doesn't overplay, he respects the silence between the notes. Put it this way, if Gene Simmons joined The Stones, you'd hear what a horrible bass player sounded like. If you play well as a bass player, you blend in. So now, someone has said something positive about Darryl. I'm ashamed of the negative comments here.

Date: September 29, 2022 19:56

Roll73
24FPS
I don't hate Darryl Jones. I hate his bass playing in my favorite group of all time.

Wow - must have been pretty miserable for you seeing them live any time over the last 28 years

Live is a different animal. The sound kind of booms around the arena and it's difficult to pick out the instruments. Where I really miss Bill is home recordings where you can actually hear what he did, and what the current bass player doesn't. I have never stopped going to Stones concerts because of the bass player. I stopped because it's a Greatest Hits tour with less pizazz. It has very little relation to the group I saw through 1999. I was ready for them to replace Bill, and sincerely, it took a while to realize they never really did.

Date: September 29, 2022 19:59

24FPS
Roll73
24FPS

Live is a different animal. The sound kind of booms around the arena and it's difficult to pick out the instruments. Where I really miss Bill is home recordings where you can actually hear what he did, and what the current bass player doesn't. I have never stopped going to Stones concerts because of the bass player. I stopped because it's a Greatest Hits tour with less pizazz. It has very little relation to the group I saw through 1999. I was ready for them to replace Bill, and sincerely, it took a while to realize they never really did.

In the pit, the sound doesn't boom around at all, you can clearly hear the sound coming from the amps, while the hung speakers go right over you.

Date: September 29, 2022 20:02

Darryl Jones is technically one of the best living bass players. He adds a Jazz sensibility to The Stones, same as Charlie did. He doesn't overplay, he respects the silence between the notes. If you play well as a bass player, you blend in. So now, someone has said something positive about Darryl. I'm ashamed of the negative comments here.[/quote]

Buck up, if the truth is negative, it's still the truth. Are you a boring bass player that just blends in? I prefer the Wyman of Miss You, and Harlem Shuffle. He didn't just blend in, he often propelled the music. Yes, he could lay back at times, knowing when to be silent. He also knew how to add one emotional note and add to the tone of the song. I refer you to the studio version of Slipping Away.

Date: September 29, 2022 20:44

24FPS
Darryl Jones is technically one of the best living bass players. He adds a Jazz sensibility to The Stones, same as Charlie did. He doesn't overplay, he respects the silence between the notes. If you play well as a bass player, you blend in. So now, someone has said something positive about Darryl. I'm ashamed of the negative comments here.

Buck up, if the truth is negative, it's still the truth. Are you a boring bass player that just blends in? I prefer the Wyman of Miss You, and Harlem Shuffle. He didn't just blend in, he often propelled the music. Yes, he could lay back at times, knowing when to be silent. He also knew how to add one emotional note and add to the tone of the song. I refer you to the studio version of Slipping Away.[/quote]

With all due respect my fellow Stones fan, nobody has a monopoly on the truth. I don't for a second think that just because I write, it's the truth. Even if it's in print, it's only my opinion. And you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, and respect. As far as myself, yes, I am absolutely a boring bass player. I always try to blend in, I hate bass solos, and I only ever want to provide a base that the guitars and vocals can bounce off of.

I don't want to get too long-winded here, but it's not Darryl that falls short in the later years, music in general fell short across the board. Music like Miss You just wasn't being written anymore, by any bands. Rock was on it's way out. Darryl stepped in right there, and in my opinion he is unfairly tagged as "less than". Maybe it's because I play (amateur strictly), but I hear all kinds of magic when Darryl plays. And I'm glad he doesn't mimic what Bill did, that' would be like robots, and nobody cares about robots!

Date: September 29, 2022 21:16

This is supposed to be about the documentary.

That said, if we're going there, I don't see the issue being Darryl at all. If it was, I wouldn't love VOODOO LOUNGE's tight band sound. It's not even something that is right and wrong so much as it is the band is off-kilter. Sometimes it's there and it's magic, mostly it's not. See them live and the experience of being there in the moment makes it harder to detect.

BRIDGES has moments of near brilliance, but the imbalance is all over the record, it even appears deliberate. Since then, it's just been an imbalance that makes it feel like they don't know how to recreate the feel or simply won't bother working hard enough to find it. The individual parts are another matter.

Chuck who is amazing on organ on UNDERCOVER, DIRTY WORK, and STEEL WHEELS isn't the same guy onstage. Partly it's the instrument and partly it's because the keys are used to cover for or embellish the guitars. I pick on Matt, but sometimes he's brilliant. Darryl's bass solos (also used in Emotional Rescue) are annoying because they're every show with the same staged responses from Keith and Mick. It's the same as Chuck getting a leg up while playing piano.

It's age and mileage and professionalism as much as it is the core problem of chemistry between Mick and Keith who ceased being twins long ago. To me, blaming Darryl or Chuck or Matt or Steve is blaming a byproduct and not the root cause.

Date: September 29, 2022 21:39

The documentary Darryl Jones: In The Blood seems to be the same as the crowdfunding work-in-progress one Darryl Jones: Like a Rolling Stone that was posted awhile back here.

There's mention of director and producer Eric Hamburg's name in both.

I bet these preview clips here are in the documentary.

Date: September 29, 2022 22:17

I presumed they were the same. We could just ask roundnround nicely.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: September 30, 2022 03:26

Hi Rocky Dijon, Thanks very much for your kind comments. Thanks also to roller99. You have restored my faith in humanity!

Yes, this is the same film. We have changed the title slightly to include the title of a song by Darryl. We are not including all of the clips we shared before, but some of it is in the film.

Darryl is an incredible bass player, and is much loved by all of the Stones. You will see this in the film. He is also a very kind and nice person.

The film is opening next week in LA, Chicago and Toronto. It will also be on Amazon Prime and Apple TV starting on Oct. 7. Hope you enjoy it!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 30, 2022 04:01

Doug Wimbish played great on Micks solo albums and tours.He should have and would have gotten the gig over Jones but for commitments to Living Colour at thetime.You can tell me that Jones is a great musician but he does not play rock well

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: September 30, 2022 05:25

Here's a link to the new trailer for the film which we've just released. Darryl will also be dropping a single next week. It's a new song which he's written just for this film...

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 30, 2022 07:47

Roll73
24FPS

You should read some of his other posts. Never had anything good to say.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 30, 2022 08:02

it looks really good and i'd love to see it if for nothing else then to hear charlie speak again

i've never been part of the darryl sucks gang (as much as i love bill's playing and miss it) he does his job well and i'm glad he's there

is there any plans for a physical release in the future?

i'd love to own it on blu ray or dvd

i don't live anywhere near the city's you mentioned and don't have the kind of internet access to stream it sadly

but if it ever gets screened in tacoma wa i'll be there

Date: September 30, 2022 08:35

I look forward to Darryl's story and the single, presumably the song the documentary is named after. I'm curious if this is the track that brought some of his friends into the studio recently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-01 02:12 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2022 08:36

Met Darryl a couple of times ....
gentle ... polite.. well mannered person ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 30, 2022 09:02

roller99
Darryl Jones Biopic

Thanks for the article, roller99!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home