Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: Foo Fighters stuff
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 8, 2023 07:41

NashvilleBlues
Dan
NashvilleBlues
bobo
Dan
Now that I am single I don't have to pretend to like this band anymore.

Good one. Extremely overrated band. Boring.

Unless you’ve seen them live, reserve judgment.

I saw them once (prior to Taylor Hawkins Tribute). In 1995, they were on a 3 band bill with Mike Watt and Hovercraft. I think I would rank them third out of the bands who played that night.

Just cookie cutter mid 1990's pop music to me.

Fair enough. To each, his own. I think they're easily one of the best live bands out there (with Pearl Jam, TOOL...).

I saw PJ live once….just to say I had. Saddens me that they’re the last of the grunge/90’s. For me they were the weakest. Nirvana, AIC, STP, Soundgarden. But yes definitely all a matter of personal taste. That’s what makes the world go round. It’s amazing how many talented musicians we’ve lost.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 8, 2023 08:06

VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
Dan
NashvilleBlues
bobo
Dan

I saw them once (prior to Taylor Hawkins Tribute). In 1995, they were on a 3 band bill with Mike Watt and Hovercraft. I think I would rank them third out of the bands who played that night.

Fair enough. To each, his own. I think they're easily one of the best live bands out there (with Pearl Jam, TOOL...).

I saw PJ live once….just to say I had. Saddens me that they’re the last of the grunge/90’s. For me they were the weakest. Nirvana, AIC, STP, Soundgarden. But yes definitely all a matter of personal taste. That’s what makes the world go round. It’s amazing how many talented musicians we’ve lost.

Mudhoney are still going strong and may have been the only “actual” grunge band there was. Nirvana were punkish, Soundgarden & Alice In Chains a bit more metal, Pearl Jam were more rock…

Foo Fighters first 2 albums were ok, after that it was just generic rock music to my ears. I haven’t seen them live since 1997 and now Hawkins is gone I won’t bother seeing them.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 8, 2023 10:13

NashvilleBlues
bobo
Dan

Seen them live once. One of the worst shows I have been to.

Date: April 9, 2023 00:04

Paddy
VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
Dan
NashvilleBlues
bobo
Dan

Mudhoney are still going strong and may have been the only “actual” grunge band there was. Nirvana were punkish, Soundgarden & Alice In Chains a bit more metal, Pearl Jam were more rock…

Foo Fighters first 2 albums were ok, after that it was just generic rock music to my ears. I haven’t seen them live since 1997 and now Hawkins is gone I won’t bother seeing them.

I could never get into Mudhoney or the Melvins. I did really dig the Meat Puppets and Screaming Trees back in the day. Haven’t listened to either in years.

I actually did really enjoy the Foo’s debut album. For me they dropped off significantly on the follow-up and never really got close again. I think I stopped buying their albums at the third one?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-10 03:10 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: April 9, 2023 10:58

VoodooLounge13
Paddy
VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
Dan
NashvilleBlues
bobo
Dan

I could never get them to Mudhoney or the Melvins. I did really dig the Meat Puppets and Screaming Trees back in the day. After listened to either in years.

I actually did really enjoy the Foo’s debut album. For me they dropped off significantly on the follow-up and never really got close again. I think I stopped buying their albums at the third one?

Screaming Trees Sweet Oblivion album is one of the best records of that early 90s grunge scene. I’d take it over Pearl Jams Debut any day. Lanegan had a great voice and wrote some great lyrics.

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: April 9, 2023 12:05

"Dust" 1996 and the last one "Last Words: The Final" are even better
DUST is a master piece.

Date: April 10, 2023 00:56

rockerparis
DUST is a master piece.

Dust is indeed a great record, it came a bit late though and the focus that had been on the Grunge movement had switched to Britpop. I remember seeing Mark on Jools Holland while they were promoting that record and just thinking he’s next. When I read his book and he described that tour, my thoughts at the time made sense. The first 4 SST records have 2 good albums worth of music, it doesn’t all grab me, but from Buzz Factory on, I can play those albums start to finish mostly.
I think I recall reading they couldn’t get a label to release the Last Words record back in the late 90s.

Date: April 10, 2023 03:11

Paddy
VoodooLounge13
Paddy
VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
Dan
NashvilleBlues
bobo
Dan

I could never get them to Mudhoney or the Melvins. I did really dig the Meat Puppets and Screaming Trees back in the day. After listened to either in years.

Screaming Trees Sweet Oblivion album is one of the best records of that early 90s grunge scene. I’d take it over Pearl Jams Debut any day. Lanegan had a great voice and wrote some great lyrics.

I’d agree with that.

Date: April 10, 2023 03:12

rockerparis
DUST is a master piece.

I really dug Dust as well. Never knew about Word. I’ll have to give that a listen.

OT: Foo Fighters stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 11, 2023 22:11

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 12, 2023 23:30

Thanks

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 12, 2023 23:35

Amazing how different peoples’ tastes are my top five bands behind the stones include pearl jam and the foos both of whom I’ve seen 5+ times

Date: April 19, 2023 16:29

[twitter.com]

--

"Rescued" - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 19, 2023 16:52

Wonder who is drumming on the new album?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 19, 2023 16:55

It almost seems like they sent out a press release to critics to say "don't even bring up 'we don't know who's drumming on this'." Every review I've read doesn't bring anything up as if they were instructed to ignore that thought completely.

Regardless, besides their St. Cecelia EP, this is the best thing they've put out since Wasting Light. So, a decade. Still can't imagine the band without Taylor, but gotta say this sounds like classic Foos which is just nice to hear after several really shitty albums.

Date: May 17, 2023 18:45

Date: May 17, 2023 18:50

Josh Freese is rumored to be the new drummer. He cleared his schedule recently.

Date: May 17, 2023 18:56

As Foo Fighters Add More Fest Dates, Rumored New Drummer Josh Freese Exits the Offspring and Danny Elfman’s Band

By Thania Garcia
May 16 , 2023

[variety.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 17, 2023 20:42

bye bye johnny

--

[twitter.com]

I’m not sure if anyone else here will relate, but I do find Grohl’s voice to be so nostalgic-sounding. I was in my late-teens when the Foo Fighters were having their greatest success, and whenever I hear anything recent, it really takes me back. The Foo Fighters were never exceptional, and yet, they’ve produced some absolute banging tunes. I’m glad they’re carrying on.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 17, 2023 21:53

Big Al
I’m not sure if anyone else here will relate, but I do find Grohl’s voice to be so nostalgic-sounding. I was in my late-teens when the Foo Fighters were having their greatest success, and whenever I hear anything recent, it really takes me back. The Foo Fighters were never exceptional, and yet, they’ve produced some absolute banging tunes. I’m glad they’re carrying on.

Yes, I relate! I'll guess I am the biggest Foo fan on the RS site. I've seen them live about 8 or 9 times, including back on their first ever tour, 1995, I have every album and plan to get the new one, out June 2.

Many can't stand them, I can see that. My best friend, and lifelong Stones fan, can't stand the Foos! But to me, the dude is just great, laid back, doesn't take it too seriously, writes great catchy tunes, and has an unbelievable love for Rock history, like most of us do.

** Edit ... and ... he was in NIRVANA!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-17 21:56 by LeonidP.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: May 17, 2023 21:59

The Foos are great. First time we saw them was with Mike Watt and Hovercraft where they acquitted themselves well. We've seen them five times since and they never disappointed. Just good rock which tends to be in short supply these days.

Date: May 17, 2023 22:30

LeonidP
Big Al

Yes, I relate! I'll guess I am the biggest Foo fan on the RS site. I've seen them live about 8 or 9 times, including back on their first ever tour, 1995, I have every album and plan to get the new one, out June 2.

Many can't stand them, I can see that. My best friend, and lifelong Stones fan, can't stand the Foos! But to me, the dude is just great, laid back, doesn't take it too seriously, writes great catchy tunes, and has an unbelievable love for Rock history, like most of us do.

I'm there with you. Seven shows, including the Knoxville Disc Exchange record store show (covered Borderline and Have a Cigar!). Patted Dave on the shoulder that night at the FF/RHCP show (Knoxville, TN).

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 18, 2023 02:55

NashvilleBlues
LeonidP
Big Al

I'm there with you. Seven shows, including the Knoxville Disc Exchange record store show (covered Borderline and Have a Cigar!). Patted Dave on the shoulder that night at the FF/RHCP show (Knoxville, TN).

Eggcellent! And a great show to have seen. I'm sure you're likely aware, but they've covered Have A Cigar twice for b-sides, with Taylor Hawkins on vocals - one of those with Brian May on lead guitar!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-18 02:56 by LeonidP.

Date: May 18, 2023 03:46

LeonidP
NashvilleBlues
LeonidP
Big Al

Eggcellent! And a great show to have seen. I'm sure you're likely aware, but they've covered Have A Cigar twice for b-sides, with Taylor Hawkins on vocals - one of those with Brian May on lead guitar!

Yep. At Disc Exchange when they played Have a Cigar, Grohl was on drums.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 20, 2023 18:09

NashvilleBlues

@#$%& hilarious if so. This is what I was telling people was going to happen even before they flew Taylor home. Who else would it be? Hologram Taylor?

Date: May 20, 2023 18:53

Dan
NashvilleBlues

@#$%& hilarious if so. This is what I was telling people was going to happen even before they flew Taylor home. Who else would it be? Hologram Taylor?

I had a feeling too, but wasn’t as sure as you.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 20, 2023 19:20

roryg
The Foos are great. First time we saw them was with Mike Watt and Hovercraft where they acquitted themselves well. We've seen them five times since and they never disappointed. Just good rock which tends to be in short supply these days.

I was at that same show and immediately wrote them off as generic modern rock, on a totally mismatched bill. Some people say I should reassess and I do say it's very telling they never followed Hovercraft onstage again.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 20, 2023 19:38

I’ve always thought of the Foo Fighters as being an example of the balls-to-the-wall, meat and potatoes, basic, yet rocking, rock-act. If they were British, dare I say they’d be described as being ‘pub rock’ I don’t consider her derogatory, at all. It merely means - in my opinion, anyway! - they do exactly what it ‘says on the tin’

Date: May 20, 2023 22:32

Big Al
I’ve always thought of the Foo Fighters as being an example of the balls-to-the-wall, meat and potatoes, basic, yet rocking, rock-act. If they were British, dare I say they’d be described as being ‘pub rock’ I don’t consider her derogatory, at all. It merely means - in my opinion, anyway! - they do exactly what it ‘says on the tin’

I’m a huge fan and agree. They’re like AC/DC and Metallica (post 80s) in that way. Sound great live and on a good stereo system, but they’re not going to make any creative artistic statements and shake the rock world or anything like that. Straightforward adrenaline rock.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 22, 2023 00:31

Is Josh Freese

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2101
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home