Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Train strikes in the UK 21/23/25th June
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 18, 2022 19:57

grzegorz67
paulywaul
I haven't lived in UK now for over three years. But er ... is it just me that thinks this, or is the place really falling to f***ing pieces ?? Cos' it sure looks that way. If it isn't flight cancellations, queues, bottlenecks, non-existent service, everything costing 28 times as much as it did 10 minutes ago, it's furking train strikes ! What's the matter with the place ? Get a grip UK ...

It’s a perfect storm of economic forces. Labour shortages in crucial areas, notably transportation and healthcare, supply chain problems, pay rises lagging rampant inflation and more. The pandemic has caused a lot of people to re-evaluate their lives by changing career or retiring altogether, leaving certain professions very short. A shitshow by Western standards but 1st World problems compared to what goes on elsewhere. The 70s are back basically.

Yup, you got that right ! A 70s rerun ! For furks sake ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-18 19:57 by paulywaul.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: June 18, 2022 20:10

What? I thought that was a french speciality. grinning smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 18, 2022 21:43

paulywaul, where did you move to, anyway?

Is it true that you can take the paulywaul out of the UK, but you can't take the UK out of the paulywaul? cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: June 18, 2022 21:52

angee
paulywaul, where did you move to, anyway?

Is it true that you can take the paulywaul out of the UK, but you can't take the UK out of the paulywaul? cool smiley

Don't know about the answer to the second question, but the answer to the first is Kraków in Poland ...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 18, 2022 22:53

What a lovely place Krakow is, and I will always remember having about 5 days there, middle of winter, with ice and snow every day about 2005.
About -15C and staying in a great, cheap hotel in the centre of town.
Done plenty of walking and sightseeing to keep warm. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 18, 2022 23:09

Visiting Krakow for the first time in mid-July! Got Pearl Jam there on July 14.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 18, 2022 23:19

I'm toying with the idea of taking the Eurostar train from Paris to London on the 26th for the RHCP show and then going back to France on the 27th...

Any chance this strike spills over onto the 26th/27th? Tube or train?!

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 19, 2022 08:00

The Heathrow Express is supposed to run but with limited service. See their planned disruptions page here:

[www.heathrowexpress.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 19, 2022 14:46

The latest from inews.co.uk:

What strikes are in June 2022? Rail, Tube and bus strike dates and how travel is affected next week
The RMT says the strikes represent the biggest outbreak of industrial action in the industry for a generation

A series of strikes will disrupt travel this month. Trains, buses and flights will all be affected, at a time when thousands of people will be heading on holiday or to summer festivals, including Glastonbury.

Full story.> STRIKE

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: June 19, 2022 15:21

I am flying to Luton on 23.

Can you please help me , I see that the trains are bookable, but they say the strike will go on.
Where can I check if the trains and how often will go on 25. from Luton to London?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 19, 2022 16:25

I’m reading now that Eurostar may be impacted. Does anyone have any reliable info in this? Thanks.

Date: June 19, 2022 17:02

SomeTorontoGirl
I’m reading now that Eurostar may be impacted. Does anyone have any reliable info in this? Thanks.

There's this - how reliable it remains in seven day time is debatable ...

[www.eurostar.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 19, 2022 18:04

Many thanks, Max!

Posted by: dierdz ()
Date: June 19, 2022 18:47

Hi folks! Any alternative to go from Gatwick to Hyde park the Saturday in the morning? I’m arriving Gatwick airport near 9am. Thanks!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 19, 2022 20:33

Plenty of buses go from South Terminal mainly all over the place , or North Terminal and get the two minute shuttel.

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: June 21, 2022 14:45

Looks like I will be driving strait to the hotel, to be honest it looks a fairly straight run.

Was really hoping to drop at a underground station, park up for cheaper, but can’t seem to find any direct tubes to Russel square.

Date: June 21, 2022 18:45

Talks back on tomorrow fingers and everything crossed.

If anything agreed tomorrow would be too late for Thursday but Okish for Saturday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-21 23:55 by Tumlin73.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 22, 2022 01:45

Tumlin73
Looks like I will be driving strait to the hotel, to be honest it looks a fairly straight run.

Was really hoping to drop at a underground station, park up for cheaper, but can’t seem to find any direct tubes to Russel square.

Eh?

What am I missing? There is a station for Russell Square on the Picadilly line and it's got the catchy name.... "Russell Square"

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 22, 2022 09:47

saturday's going to be a headache,to say the least!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 22, 2022 09:50

MadMetaphoricalMax
FYI if you're in south west London - there will be no District Line trains from Richmond on 25th, as well as no rail services. There MAY be Overground trains on the North London line from Richmond to take you to Willeseden Junction and the Bakerloo Line. I'm trying to find out if Tube trains will run on the Ealing Broadway branch of the District Line, as at least I can connect via a (very long) bus journey there. It's bad enough on ordinary days, but 25th will be a total nightmare, I fear. Good luck to us all....

i'll be making the same journey

Date: June 22, 2022 10:46

CaptainCorella
Tumlin73

Eh?

What am I missing? There is a station for Russell Square on the Picadilly line and it's got the catchy name.... "Russell Square"

My mistake, I was using the underground route planner and was using yesterday’s date and that was of course the underground strike date.drinking smiley

Date: June 22, 2022 11:28

Here's a question, to which I wouldn't be surprised if no-one had the definite answer to ? But I'll ask anyway.

I'll be needing to get to Luton Airport on Sunday 26th. any idea what is likely to be running, and what is not ? And a follow-up question, in the event the train option is dead. From where exactly in London would one get a bus to Luton Airport ? St Pancras ? Victoria Coach station ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-22 11:29 by paulywaul.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 22, 2022 11:38

paulywaul
Here's a question, to which I wouldn't be surprised if no-one had the definite answer to ? But I'll ask anyway.

I'll be needing to get to Luton Airport on Sunday 26th. any idea what is likely to be running, and what is not ? And a follow-up question, in the event the train option is dead. From where exactly in London would one get a bus to Luton Airport ? St Pancras ? Victoria Coach station ?

Well I certainly don't have a definitive answer. But I just went on to the National Express website hoping to book a coach from Southampton into London Victoria on Saturday and the majority of coaches were sold out - indeed all of the coaches that could have got me to London in time were sold out.

That said, I would expect trains will be to some extent running again on Sunday so as long as you don't need to travel too early I think you should be OK. Buses may well also be more available that day. (Not that I've looked at availability on the Luton route at all for any day)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-22 11:39 by sjs12.

Date: June 22, 2022 12:02

sjs12
paulywaul

Well I certainly don't have a definitive answer. But I just went on to the National Express website hoping to book a coach from Southampton into London Victoria on Saturday and the majority of coaches were sold out - indeed all of the coaches that could have got me to London in time were sold out.

That said, I would expect trains will be to some extent running again on Sunday so as long as you don't need to travel too early I think you should be OK. Buses may well also be more available that day. (Not that I've looked at availability on the Luton route at all for any day)

Thanks, just got myself sorted. Bought a coach ticket from Victoria Bus Station to Luton Airport, F**k the train option. Knowing those useless striking bastards, I have no confidence that things will be back to normal on Sunday 26th ... none at all.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 22, 2022 12:40

paulywaul

Knowing those useless striking bastards

What a total abject remark. People do not strike for fun, they strike for a right cause.

Just get a @#$%& cab.

Mathijs

Date: June 22, 2022 13:36

Mathijs
paulywaul

Knowing those useless striking bastards

What a total abject remark. People do not strike for fun, they strike for a right cause.

Just get a @#$%& cab.

Mathijs

Well in the case of the British Rail Unions, that general comment of yours does not apply I'm afraid. So far from mine being a totally abject remark, it is a perfectly appropriate one. UK is being dragged back to the dark old days of the 1970s, courtesy of these sorts of people. You wouldn't wish that on the Netherlands nearly a quarter of the way into the 21st century, and no sensible-minded Brit would wish it on the UK either.

Do you have any idea what train drivers in UK earn ? Well you should check it out, and then compare it to other critical professions, teaching, nursing, and the like.

Right cause ? Don't make me laugh !

Date: June 22, 2022 14:29

Seemingly, The average UK train driver earns £54,001 per year. Out of curiousity, is that a lot in the UK?

I see the Norwegian aircraft technicians earn round £64.000.

Inflation is a bitch, and it's sad that workers must strike.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 22, 2022 14:57

DandelionPowderman
Seemingly, The average UK train driver earns £54,001 per year. Out of curiousity, is that a lot in the UK?

It's nearly double the median UK Salary. It's not just train drivers - the rail companies' staff are paid significantly more than for comparable roles in other industries. Yes, inflation is eroding their pay, but (nearly) everyone else is in the same boat and rail industry pay is being eroded from a much higher base. They've had it (relatively) too good for too long and are up in arms. That said, it's a free country (thank goodness) and I respect their right to strike and will take appropriate plans. I am a public sector employee and have been on strike myself in the past.

Date: June 22, 2022 15:15

DandelionPowderman

Average pay in the U.k. is around £30,000 a year.

Date: June 22, 2022 15:17

no stone unturned
DandelionPowderman

Average pay in the U.k. is around £30,000 a year.

Thanks. I wondered, because the train drivers pay in the UK is round the average salary over here. A little less, perhaps.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1516
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home