Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Train strikes in the UK 21/23/25th June
Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: June 8, 2022 12:49

are these national trains only? or is the eurostar also not running?

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: June 8, 2022 15:34

We are flying to Luton on 21. , what would be the best way to get to London from this airport? Thanks!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 8, 2022 17:56

This UK travel chaos is starting June 21st to potentially June 26th because of disruption also on the days in between the strike days, as many trains will not be in the right places.
Main headlines on the news today.
Saw the boss of the railway union on TV news and doesn't look as if he is going to back down, but you gotta hope for the best.
Got road transport I guess with buses and coaches etc. but getting travel plans sorted out could be a problem for many of us. confused smiley

Date: June 8, 2022 18:36

TUBE strikes on this day announced now as well.

NO TRAINS.

NO UNDERGROUND TRAINS.

I imagine a lot of cancellations for the show now as some people will be unable to get there or get home.

I have a hotel booked near Hyde Park on the Friday and Saturday night so I’m one of the lucky ones although it’s cost me….though possibly still less that a taxi to and from Hyde Park on the day.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 8, 2022 18:37

So Heathrow Express staff told me this morning that that the trains between Heathrow/Paddington/Heathrow won’t be able to run during any train strike because there won’t be anyone operating the signals.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 8, 2022 18:48

no stone unturned

NO TRAINS.

NO UNDERGROUND TRAINS.

I imagine a lot of cancellations for the show now as some people will be unable to get there or get home.

I have a hotel booked near Hyde Park on the Friday and Saturday night so I’m one of the lucky ones although it’s cost me….though possibly still less that a taxi to and from Hyde Park on the day.

As far as I can see at the moment the tube strike is on June 21st only. June 25th should be a normal service.

Date: June 8, 2022 18:51

rebelrebel
no stone unturned

NO TRAINS.

NO UNDERGROUND TRAINS.

As far as I can see at the moment the tube strike is on June 21st only. June 25th should be a normal service.

Yes, apologies, that does appear to be correct…for the moment at least.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 8, 2022 19:11

I’m going down to Ipswich from the north by train on the 22nd. By a hair, as you say.

The problem starts there, though. I booked a non-refundable single ticket to London for the 25th. Just in case, I have booked a refundable bus ticket which cost me an additional 24 quid. And it takes 3 and a half hours to get to London as opposed to an hour and twenty mins by train. Annoying.

And the problem doesn’t stop here. In between sightseeing (Sutton Hoo, Colchester etc.), I’m going to attend a couple of gigs. Elvis Costello in Ipswich on the 22nd, that’s not a problem. What am I going to do with Marisa Monte in London on the 23rd? My intention was buying a cheap day return train ticket to and from London. Will I miss the concert and eat the ticket? Missed event insurance might save you on an occasion like this (I didn’t buy one). Going down to London by bus, attending the show, staying overnight, returning to Ipswich by train on the 24th and continuing with sightseeing? It would fetch me an additional cost for accommodation in London (cancelling the hotel in Ipswich on the second day and then come back on the third would be too fiddly a job to do). Higher transportation fare, too. And wasted time.

Oh well — there are moments in life from time to time when you end up paying some extra. I wanted the folks here to know my annoyance. Sorry for my rant.

Date: June 8, 2022 19:23

It could turn out to be a real nightmare and not only for concert and festival goers or workers or people needing to get from one place to another - the poor, hopeless deluded saps.
That's because freight train staff will be striking too, so the deliveries chain could begin its exciting, extended collapse along with everything else.
The RMT is just about the last union remaining that can pull a stunt like this these days. The head of said union, a slapheaded charmer named Mick Lynch, who is on around 130 grand a year, says: 'We don't want disruption for anyone and I apologise for that. We don't follow the comings and goings of Glastonbury or pop concerts'.
Yeah, right, you're taking the mick, mate. Talk about a Lynching - that piece of work has the whole country dangling on the end of a rope.
There's a chance it could be called off, but given how so much seems to be falling apart right now, economically etc, I wouldn't bet on it.
Fun and games.... and buses.
Good luck.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: June 8, 2022 21:49

When National strikes occur you need the public on your side (or a good percentage of them at least). All i see is anger and dismay from the public. All this is doing it reaffirming that automation of the railways is the way forward.

I hope common sense prevails and we can all enjoy the sweet summer sun.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 8, 2022 22:37

Oh wow...this all sounds like the nonsense we're often subjected to in Paris!

Yes, automation is the key here, hopefully in the very near future.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: June 10, 2022 17:57

grzegorz67
If you end up having to drive, Park at Hillingdon Underground Car Park just off the A40. Big car park. It’s only about £3 a day at weekends. Even if the Tube is on strike, you can get the Oxford Tube bus service from the front of the station, and it stops at Marble Arch, right next to the park. For the return journey, the Oxford Tube bus runs all night. The stop is right next to Speakers Corner.

Note that the Oxford Tube doesn't usually pick up at Marble Arch after HP gigs. Your best bet is to walk down to Victoria and board it there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-10 18:00 by nobodyimportant.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 10, 2022 21:41

From the Heathrow Express website:

Rail industrial action is expected on Tuesday 21st, Thursday 23rd and Saturday 25th June

As per RMT press release on 7th June, industrial action is expected across the UK’s railway network on Tuesday 21st June, Thursday 23rd June and Saturday 25th June. If the industrial action goes ahead, there will be limited services to Heathrow on Heathrow Express and Elizabeth Line on these days so services will be extremely busy, and there will be no rail services at all to Heathrow before 07:30 and after 18:30 on these days. Therefore, if you are travelling on these days please plan your journey in advance and allow plenty of time to get to the airport. We will provide further updates nearer the time.

[www.heathrowexpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-10 21:41 by Topi.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 10, 2022 21:56

nobodyimportant
grzegorz67
If you end up having to drive, Park at Hillingdon Underground Car Park just off the A40. Big car park. It’s only about £3 a day at weekends. Even if the Tube is on strike, you can get the Oxford Tube bus service from the front of the station, and it stops at Marble Arch, right next to the park. For the return journey, the Oxford Tube bus runs all night. The stop is right next to Speakers Corner.

Note that the Oxford Tube doesn't usually pick up at Marble Arch after HP gigs. Your best bet is to walk down to Victoria and board it there.
Thanks for that. I caught it there after Hyde Park 2013 and the Who in 2015 but not for a little while after the show. Victoria it is. Better chance of a seat for a start.

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: June 11, 2022 00:04

Eurostar is fine

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: June 11, 2022 00:49

grzegorz67
nobodyimportant
grzegorz67

Thanks for that. I caught it there after Hyde Park 2013 and the Who in 2015 but not for a little while after the show. Victoria it is. Better chance of a seat for a start.

That's the thing, the buses often fill up at Victoria when there are big events on, and throw in a rail strike ..... I think Park Lane's usually closed to traffic while the crowds disperse but don't know how long that takes.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 17, 2022 20:32

An updated article about the UK train strikes that will affect the 25th of June (when Stones play Hyde Park 1): [www.msn.com]

An excerpt:

"On Thursday 23 and Saturday 25 June, about 40,000 rail operators – but not London Underground staff – will strike.

Trains will start later and finish much earlier than usual, between 7.30am and 6.30pm.

Passengers who must travel are urged to plan to ensure that they can complete their journeys within this window, with last services from London to Scotland, for example, leaving in the early afternoon."

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 18, 2022 15:45

I used the train on Thursday evening, and signs at the station were actually saying there will be loads of disruption between June 21st and June 26th.
Also said 'Try to find alternative transport and only try to travel by train if it is really necessary.'

Doesn't sound good, and the main trade union is just not budging an inch. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-18 16:40 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 18, 2022 16:20

crawdaddy
I used the train on Thursday evening, and signs at the station were actually saying there will be loads of disruption between July 21st and July 26th.
Also said 'Try to find alternative transport and only try to travel by train if it is really necessary.'

Doesn't sound good, and the main trade union is just not budging an inch. confused smiley

July? Or June? Thx.

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: June 18, 2022 16:24

Talks broke down yesterday.

Strike is definitely on. sad smiley

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: June 18, 2022 16:38

The Worst.
An updated article about the UK train strikes that will affect the 25th of June (when Stones play Hyde Park 1): [www.msn.com]

An excerpt:

"On Thursday 23 and Saturday 25 June, about 40,000 rail operators – but not London Underground staff – will strike.

Trains will start later and finish much earlier than usual, between 7.30am and 6.30pm.

Passengers who must travel are urged to plan to ensure that they can complete their journeys within this window, with last services from London to Scotland, for example, leaving in the early afternoon."

I'm arriving at Heathrow on 23.
So it will be regular tube service but no Heathrow Express train right?

Date: June 18, 2022 16:43

FYI if you're in south west London - there will be no District Line trains from Richmond on 25th, as well as no rail services. There MAY be Overground trains on the North London line from Richmond to take you to Willeseden Junction and the Bakerloo Line. I'm trying to find out if Tube trains will run on the Ealing Broadway branch of the District Line, as at least I can connect via a (very long) bus journey there. It's bad enough on ordinary days, but 25th will be a total nightmare, I fear. Good luck to us all....

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 18, 2022 19:08

I haven't lived in UK now for over three years. But er ... is it just me that thinks this, or is the place really falling to f***ing pieces ?? Cos' it sure looks that way. If it isn't flight cancellations, queues, bottlenecks, non-existent service, everything costing 28 times as much as it did 10 minutes ago, it's furking train strikes ! What's the matter with the place ? Get a grip UK ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: June 18, 2022 19:12

paulywaul
I haven't lived in UK now for over three years. But er ... is it just me that thinks this, or is the place really falling to f***ing pieces ?? Cos' it sure looks that way. If it isn't flight cancellations, queues, bottlenecks, non-existent service, everything costing 28 times as much as it did 10 minutes ago, it's furking train strikes ! What's the matter with the place ? Get a grip UK ...

It might even be time to re-awaken the British Airways thread at this rate ... pity any poor bastards that are using them to get in and out of UK for these Hyde Park shows !! You should know better ... using a f***ing mule would be a better alternative !! At the least the mule might actually make it there n' back ...

Date: June 18, 2022 19:16

MadMetaphoricalMax
FYI if you're in south west London - there will be no District Line trains from Richmond on 25th, as well as no rail services. There MAY be Overground trains on the North London line from Richmond to take you to Willeseden Junction and the Bakerloo Line. I'm trying to find out if Tube trains will run on the Ealing Broadway branch of the District Line, as at least I can connect via a (very long) bus journey there. It's bad enough on ordinary days, but 25th will be a total nightmare, I fear. Good luck to us all....

The 25th will be a total nightmare ... or at least you should prepare yourself for it to be one. The only sensible thing to do is to bed down for the night within walking distance of Hyde Park, galling as the hotel/b&b prices likely are/will be !

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: June 18, 2022 19:22

The Worst.

An excerpt:

I will arrive at Gatwick on 23rd 11:00am.
It seems that I can take a train to London, right ?
Or extremely limited train service even between 7:30am and 6:30pm ?

Date: June 18, 2022 19:28

nobodyimportant
grzegorz67
nobodyimportant
grzegorz67

That's the thing, the buses often fill up at Victoria when there are big events on, and throw in a rail strike ..... I think Park Lane's usually closed to traffic while the crowds disperse but don't know how long that takes.

I’m actually staying in London next Friday and Saturday nights and everywhere I need to go is walkable. My hotel is 2.5 miles from Hyde Park and just over a mile from the Hope and Anchor. If I do the 2nd show, hopefully there won’t be a strike that weekend too.

Still, it’s going to cause problems for sure at that first show for those travelling in on the day. And as for Glastonbury, with Macca headlining the same night, the mind boggles.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 18, 2022 19:39

dimrstone
The Worst.

An excerpt:

I'm arriving at Heathrow on 23.
So it will be regular tube service but no Heathrow Express train right?

From London Underground (https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike)

Strikes: Tue 21 June-Sun 26 June

TfL services and national rail will be affected by strikes from Tue 21 to Sun 26 June.

London-wide strikes affecting Tube and other TfL services on Tuesday 21 June and services until mid-morning on Wednesday 22 June

National rail strikes on Tuesday 21, Thursday 23 and Saturday 25 June affecting Elizabeth line and London Overground services, and some Tube services, on strike days and until mid-morning on the days after strikes.

On Thursday 23 to Sunday 26 June
Strikes on national rail services (nationwide) on Thurs 23 and Sat 25 June

Reduced service on the London Overground and Elizabeth line (where TfL uses national rail assets) as well as parts of the Tube on Thurs 23 and Sat 25 June

London Overground services will run a reduced service from 07:30 on Thurs 23 and Sat 25 June. Complete your journey by 18:00

Disruption following strikes likely on the Tube, Elizabeth line and London Overground on Friday 24 and Sun 26 June

Due to the national rail strike, disruption is expected on the following sections of line:

Bakerloo line - Queens Park to Harrow and Wealdstone
District line - Richmond and Wimbledon branches (sevices will only operate between 07:30 and 18:30)
Waterloo & City line

There are Friday and Saturday night strikes on the Central, Jubilee and Victoria lines.

Date: June 18, 2022 19:46

paulywaul

It’s a perfect storm of economic forces. Labour shortages in crucial areas, notably transportation and healthcare, supply chain problems, pay rises lagging rampant inflation and more. The pandemic has caused a lot of people to re-evaluate their lives by changing career or retiring altogether, leaving certain professions very short. A shitshow by Western standards but 1st World problems compared to what goes on elsewhere. The 70s are back basically.

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: June 18, 2022 19:51

I’m thinking of parking up by Edgeware next Friday and catching the tube to the hotel by Russell Square.

Does anybody know if this is doable or know better/ nearer stop off places?

Any recommended car parking spaces.

My Mrs thinks the train will run on the Friday I don’t think it will.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home