Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gimme Shelter recent live performances
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 6, 2022 18:57

wondering why, now that it’s certainly possible, the decision was made to exclude the harmonica blast so prominent in the studio original?

..that part has never been done live, has it? I just love this song and it has had many arrangements over the years, live..

Re: Gimme Shelter recent live performances
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 7, 2022 00:26

Good question duke - Mick could have a field day with the harp solo while basking in the limelight, and it would give the tune that extra menace and authenticity.
On the bright side we're gifted with the amazing vocal contributions from Sasha - not only a great stage presence, but she also nails the vocals every time.
It's the current guitar intro that's the mystery...Keith standing in the shadows unseen....same as in 2021...I think he's sitting/hiding behind the speakers...trying to focus...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-07 00:27 by Hairball.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 7, 2022 03:29

Maybe it has something to do with it being a one-note solo (plus bending that note)

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 7, 2022 03:47

Hairball
Good question duke - Mick could have a field day with the harp solo while basking in the limelight, and it would give the tune that extra menace and authenticity.
On the bright side we're gifted with the amazing vocal contributions from Sasha - not only a great stage presence, but she also nails the vocals every time.
It's the current guitar intro that's the mystery...Keith standing in the shadows unseen....same as in 2021...I think he's sitting/hiding behind the speakers...trying to focus...

I've seen some clips of Keith playing the intro in recent shows and he's changed the position he plays the chords in. For a long time he was playing "F shape" chords high up the neck and now he's playing "A shape" chords close to the nut. He's using three fingers to form the chords where a lot of players might just bar one finger across three strings. Must be easier for the current state of his hands / fingers. He does look to be concentrating rather intently.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: jiveeye ()
Date: June 7, 2022 07:28

I think more than the cliche drug jabs, his old age etc. I think the guy clearly has pretty severe arthritis in his hands, combine that with the fall and the meds he has to take + not playing from 2007-2012 and none of that helped. It seems like its not anissue of like oh this old guy doesn’t know where he is. Its like his fingers can’t do it. Having said that he kills it on the more chord based riffs. Start Me Up, Jumpin Jack Flash etc. he kills it! Its all that keith groove and the classic riffs but to bar sus4 chords in an open g guitar for Honky Tonk and Start Me Uo isn’t gonna be as hard for him as something like Gimme Shelter which is like his most melodic guitar intro arguably. Intricate. Something I would imagine is hard when you have arthiritus, are 78 and have to hold an axe standing for 2 hours hahaha

In all honesty. I’ve seen them for better and for worst. Objectively they put on a great show. I don’t really compare it to another era I just watch them as the rolling stones. I don’t really think of their era or age. They’re bluesmen and rock n rollers. Obviously got the catalog. They got their chops too man. Keith in 2021-2022 has sounded the best I’ge heard him since like 2015

Date: June 7, 2022 10:21

HonkeyTonkFlash
Hairball

I've seen some clips of Keith playing the intro in recent shows and he's changed the position he plays the chords in. For a long time he was playing "F shape" chords high up the neck and now he's playing "A shape" chords close to the nut. He's using three fingers to form the chords where a lot of players might just bar one finger across three strings. Must be easier for the current state of his hands / fingers. He does look to be concentrating rather intently.

He's done that before smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1192
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home