Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 15 of 16
Re: Munich Germany 05-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: June 8, 2022 00:19

Out Of Time (from the stand) not my best filming again spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[youtu.be]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 8, 2022 00:35

First flight in 2-1/2 years was nearly 16 hours from Tokyo to Munich, flying towards Alaska and over the North Pole to avoid Russian Airspace. And why? To see the Rolling Stones, of course. The afternoon of the show brings loud thunderstorms and panic sets in - could it be a wet show like the Bigger Bang show at Churchill Downs? Or even worse, possibly cancelled? My iPhone weather shows 100% rain all night, but I put my faith in Bjornulf's recommended yr.no, which predicts no rain beginning around 8:00 p.m. and we head to the Stadium.

The skies magically open up right as we arrive at the stadium, and the sun peeks through the clouds as I make my way in to Pit B, a beautiful sight. I had seen the Charlie tribute on youtube, but finally seeing it live, followed by Keith's intro to SFM was really quite emotional. Aside from "Rocks Off", which was largely unfamiliar except for the lyrics (kind of like Dylan doing his old hits), it was a great show. It was nice to see Keith so animated and smiling so broadly throughout the show. Life-affirming, in a way.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 8, 2022 01:35

Hairball
Street Fighting Man was also great last night, as it was in Madrid...it's always a thrill when Keith strolls out and lashes away with those iconic riffs...

Can't find any full length great SFM clips from last night yet, but here's this from Madrid the other night - another great Matt Lee video including the Charlie tribute opening:

It's such a great version until Keith messes up at 4:21. But nowadays it's better to just ignore the mistakes and enjoy the bigger picture. thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 8, 2022 01:51

TheBlockbuster
Hairball
Street Fighting Man was also great last night, as it was in Madrid...it's always a thrill when Keith strolls out and lashes away with those iconic riffs...

Can't find any full length great SFM clips from last night yet, but here's this from Madrid the other night - another great Matt Lee video including the Charlie tribute opening:

It's such a great version until Keith messes up at 4:21. But nowadays it's better to just ignore the mistakes and enjoy the bigger picture. thumbs up

thumbs up

Hard to ignore when you point it out like that. winking smiley

The occasional minor trainwreck from Keith has always been welcome at a Stones show - even nowadays when it almost goes completely off the rails veering on major disaster.
In fact it's fully expected at this point, and wouldn't be a true Stones show if there weren't at least several flubbers from Keith, but nearing a ripe 80 yrs. old it's completely understandable.

Date: June 8, 2022 03:02

rstass
I bought PIT A ticket. After the entrance in the stadium we had to wait till the early entry ticket holders took place their spot.
There was a lot of scramble when we got our wristband and we run to the pit. Somebody even lost his VIP bag there.

Don't understand what's all about this "running to the pit". I remember the times of inventing Front of Stage tickets where you really had to run for a good spot near the stage.

I had Pit A as well and due to weather etc only arrived in the pit after 7pm: Pit was less than 1/3 full, very relaxed thing to get a place ca 3rd row front of stage, middle!

Posted by: PatrickS77 ()
Date: June 8, 2022 03:31

And I don't understand all this:

ThroughTheLonelyNights
Don't understand what's all about this "running to the pit"

eye rolling smiley Obviously some people do not want to be in the second, third, fourth or fifth row. That's why they run.

Re: Munich Germany 05-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 8, 2022 07:17

bye bye johnny
The Rolling Stones Bust Out a Rare Classic on Munich Tour Stop

New drummer, new heart valve, same old magic.

By Robert Levine
June 6, 2022

In spring 1993, Mick Jagger appeared on the cover of Esquire next to the line “Have You Seen Your Grandfather, Baby?” – a reference to both a 1966 Rolling Stones single and the fact that Jagger had reached the ripe old age of… wait for it…. 49. What a drag it is getting old. Could the Stones keep rolling?

The question seems quaint today, considering it came about halfway through the Stones’ career, which is now being celebrated with a 60th anniversary tour of Europe that began June 1 in Madrid and runs through July 31 in Stockholm. Jagger and Keith Richards are now both 78, Ron Wood is 75, and over the last three decades the band has survived the retirement of bassist Bill Wyman (at a mere 56!), the replacement of one of Jagger’s heart valves, and the death of drummer Charlie Watts. That Esquire cover is nearly 30 — and still, they keep rolling.

o answer the obvious question: The Stones are still a fantastic live act, to judge by their June 5 show at Olympiastadion in Munich, the second of this tour. Jagger may have lost a step, but he still dominated a stage set up with long wings on both sides, plus a catwalk that extended above the stadium floor. (He could move around less but apparently chooses not to.) Richards and Wood moved less – no great change there – but played as well as ever. Darryl Jones, who has been filling in for Wyman since 1993 – longer than most bands last – shone on a bass-heavy “Miss You,” as close as the Stones ever got to disco. And though Watts was in some way the soul of the Stones – unflappable, immaculately dressed and always a bit behind the beat by exactly the right amount – Steve Jordan, who began filling in for him last year, anchored the band with style.

The show started strong with “Street Fighting Man” and “19th Nervous Breakdown,” then slipped with a version of “Rocks Off” that didn’t quite hold together when Jagger had trouble hitting some notes. But the band regained its footing with “Tumbling Dice,” then played the second-ever live version of “Out of Time,” which Jagger introduced by saying it “should be better” than the song’s live debut in Madrid. (The backup musicians certainly gave it a rich musical texture.) After exhorting the crowd to sing along to “Ruby Tuesday” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” Jagger changed into a hoodie to clown around a bit on “Living in a Ghost Town” and a sharp “Honky Tonk Women.”

Jagger had received some attention from German media for filling his Instagram account with tourist pictures of Munich from the previous day, and before he introduced the band, he spoke about enjoying a drink at a biergarten during what he described as “bikini weather,” in decent German. “Not many bikinis tonight,” he pointed out, on account of a rainstorm that threatened to delay the show, then cleared up. Then Richards took the mic to play a song he introduced as “a new one; well, an old new one” – “Connection,” which came out in 1967. (Then again, who among us can pretend to know how Keith Richards experiences time: He was around before most of the fans in the audience, and he may very well be around after them, too.) He got as much applause for speaking in English as Jagger did speaking German.

Then Jagger came back to sing “Miss You,” a typically extended version of “Midnight Rambler” and four of the band’s iconic songs: “Start Me Up,” “Paint It, Black,” “Sympathy for the Devil,” and “Jumpin’ Jack Flash.” The hands-down highlight was the first encore: A furious version of “Gimme Shelter” that Jagger sang as a duet with backup vocalist Sasha Allen. As the music built, Allen and then Jagger sashayed down the catwalk, two divas determined to make their drama bring down the house, then faced one another to howl out all the emotion in the lyrics. The entire stadium seemed to hang on every line – “It’s just a shot away / shot away” – and one of the grander productions in rock seemed to fade into the background.

At this point, the Stones, who ended the show with “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” have become known partly for their professional consistency and their ability to deliver a great show, rain or shine – even with a new drummer or new heart valve. And they did. At their best, though – on “Out of Time,” “Honky Tonk Women,” “Miss You” and especially “Gimme Shelter” – they also still deliver real magic.

[www.billboard.com]

This article sums it up perfectly.

Obviously Mick realized in 2005-07 that the days of playing new songs was over. They were still adventurous in 1994-1998 regarding new songs from new albums.

The BANG tour was a bust in regard to new songs.

Almost as if... they didn't believe in it anymore.

They haven't believed since. Mick has his reasons why. They're loaded reasons. There will never be an interesting set list ever again.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 8, 2022 07:36

A funny moment during "Ghost Town" in Munich:

You could clearly see Keith mouth: "Enough of this 'whoah-oh' shit!" - jokingly.

Anybody else catch that?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 8, 2022 10:32

ahahah great Keith! a pity no video of GT close to the stage has surfaced yet from Munich..

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 8, 2022 11:08

Slipping Away, lovely solo from Keith at 4.30 how does he make the guitar sing like that.smiling smiley
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: June 8, 2022 22:53

Well I have a nice SFM stagetaker video from A3, however I do not know how to post it here. Any help? Great show anyway, and not a single drop of rain in the end.
With you London 1 and Gelsenkirchen again.

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Date: June 8, 2022 23:19

Street Fighting Man Munich

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 8, 2022 23:21

eismann
Well I have a nice SFM stagetaker video from A3, however I do not know how to post it here. Any help? Great show anyway, and not a single drop of rain in the end.
With you London 1 and Gelsenkirchen again.
Best way is to upload it on YouTube and post the link here

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 8, 2022 23:42

Well I have to say some groove was hit there
[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 8, 2022 23:48

Nikkei
Well I have to say some groove was hit there
[www.youtube.com]
Best version since Charlie left us. Glad Steve is playing a bit more laid back and relaxed now and is not pushing forward as much as he did last tour.

Date: June 8, 2022 23:50

https://youtu.be/hH0gG5ZdNGE]SFM Munich[/url]
Does it work?

Date: June 8, 2022 23:54

eismann
Does it work?
Yes, thanks for posting. Really great video!

Re: Munich Germany 05-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Date: June 8, 2022 23:57

GasLightStreet
bye bye johnny
The Rolling Stones Bust Out a Rare Classic on Munich Tour Stop

New drummer, new heart valve, same old magic.

By Robert Levine
June 6, 2022

In spring 1993, Mick Jagger appeared on the cover of Esquire next to the line “Have You Seen Your Grandfather, Baby?” – a reference to both a 1966 Rolling Stones single and the fact that Jagger had reached the ripe old age of… wait for it…. 49. What a drag it is getting old. Could the Stones keep rolling?

The question seems quaint today, considering it came about halfway through the Stones’ career, which is now being celebrated with a 60th anniversary tour of Europe that began June 1 in Madrid and runs through July 31 in Stockholm. Jagger and Keith Richards are now both 78, Ron Wood is 75, and over the last three decades the band has survived the retirement of bassist Bill Wyman (at a mere 56!), the replacement of one of Jagger’s heart valves, and the death of drummer Charlie Watts. That Esquire cover is nearly 30 — and still, they keep rolling.

o answer the obvious question: The Stones are still a fantastic live act, to judge by their June 5 show at Olympiastadion in Munich, the second of this tour. Jagger may have lost a step, but he still dominated a stage set up with long wings on both sides, plus a catwalk that extended above the stadium floor. (He could move around less but apparently chooses not to.) Richards and Wood moved less – no great change there – but played as well as ever. Darryl Jones, who has been filling in for Wyman since 1993 – longer than most bands last – shone on a bass-heavy “Miss You,” as close as the Stones ever got to disco. And though Watts was in some way the soul of the Stones – unflappable, immaculately dressed and always a bit behind the beat by exactly the right amount – Steve Jordan, who began filling in for him last year, anchored the band with style.

The show started strong with “Street Fighting Man” and “19th Nervous Breakdown,” then slipped with a version of “Rocks Off” that didn’t quite hold together when Jagger had trouble hitting some notes. But the band regained its footing with “Tumbling Dice,” then played the second-ever live version of “Out of Time,” which Jagger introduced by saying it “should be better” than the song’s live debut in Madrid. (The backup musicians certainly gave it a rich musical texture.) After exhorting the crowd to sing along to “Ruby Tuesday” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” Jagger changed into a hoodie to clown around a bit on “Living in a Ghost Town” and a sharp “Honky Tonk Women.”

Jagger had received some attention from German media for filling his Instagram account with tourist pictures of Munich from the previous day, and before he introduced the band, he spoke about enjoying a drink at a biergarten during what he described as “bikini weather,” in decent German. “Not many bikinis tonight,” he pointed out, on account of a rainstorm that threatened to delay the show, then cleared up. Then Richards took the mic to play a song he introduced as “a new one; well, an old new one” – “Connection,” which came out in 1967. (Then again, who among us can pretend to know how Keith Richards experiences time: He was around before most of the fans in the audience, and he may very well be around after them, too.) He got as much applause for speaking in English as Jagger did speaking German.

Then Jagger came back to sing “Miss You,” a typically extended version of “Midnight Rambler” and four of the band’s iconic songs: “Start Me Up,” “Paint It, Black,” “Sympathy for the Devil,” and “Jumpin’ Jack Flash.” The hands-down highlight was the first encore: A furious version of “Gimme Shelter” that Jagger sang as a duet with backup vocalist Sasha Allen. As the music built, Allen and then Jagger sashayed down the catwalk, two divas determined to make their drama bring down the house, then faced one another to howl out all the emotion in the lyrics. The entire stadium seemed to hang on every line – “It’s just a shot away / shot away” – and one of the grander productions in rock seemed to fade into the background.

At this point, the Stones, who ended the show with “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” have become known partly for their professional consistency and their ability to deliver a great show, rain or shine – even with a new drummer or new heart valve. And they did. At their best, though – on “Out of Time,” “Honky Tonk Women,” “Miss You” and especially “Gimme Shelter” – they also still deliver real magic.

[www.billboard.com]

This article sums it up perfectly.

Obviously Mick realized in 2005-07 that the days of playing new songs was over. They were still adventurous in 1994-1998 regarding new songs from new albums.

The BANG tour was a bust in regard to new songs.

Almost as if... they didn't believe in it anymore.

They haven't believed since. Mick has his reasons why. They're loaded reasons. There will never be an interesting set list ever again.

I think Ghost Town works really well as a new song

Date: June 9, 2022 01:34

eismann
Does it work?

Thanks for this excellent clip, Keith absolutely luvinit, moving and playing better than in 20 years thumbs up

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: June 9, 2022 01:59

eismann
Does it work?

WOW - killer!!!! Thanks for posting thumbs upthumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: June 9, 2022 04:02

keefriffhards
Slipping Away, lovely solo from Keith at 4.30 how does he make the guitar sing like that.smiling smiley
[www.youtube.com]

Wow! So, so good! So glad he’s kept this one in the rotation.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 9, 2022 05:01

BFR
keefriffhards
[www.youtube.com]

Wow! So, so good! So glad he’s kept this one in the rotation.

Keith is better focused and plays better on the slower tempo tunes these days when there's less to concentrate on.
When there's too much going and with a faster tempo, he has a tendency to get lost in the process of keep up with the others sometimes.
Another reason why Charlies drumming is missed...he could pick up or slow down the beat depending on what Keith was attempting to play on any given song.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 9, 2022 07:43

Speaking of Charlie, I actually caught myself thinking I didn't always even notice he was gone!

Munich was my first show without Charlie.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 9, 2022 10:58

ThroughTheLonelyNights

Don't understand what's all about this "running to the pit". I remember the times of inventing Front of Stage tickets where you really had to run for a good spot near the stage.

I had Pit A as well and due to weather etc only arrived in the pit after 7pm: Pit was less than 1/3 full, very relaxed thing to get a place ca 3rd row front of stage, middle!

I was with my family in Munich, so we arrived around 8:30 p.m. The pit ticket was just to ensure that I could arrive late and still have a great view of the stage. Wife and daughter were perfectly happy in their discounted 89 Euro seats. Now, if it were completely up to me, I might have been "running to the pit" because I would have liked to have had the same view as this guy!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: June 9, 2022 11:39

Topi
Speaking of Charlie, I actually caught myself thinking I didn't always even notice he was gone!

Munich was my first show without Charlie.
Had the same experience, also first show without Charlie. In the big, loud stadium sound a loud of details get lost so especially at times when Steve played quite similar to Charlie (You can't always get or Sympathy for example) for a moment I forgot that Charlie was not on stage. It sounded like I always heard it. Hovever at other songs like Start Me Up or Ghost Town I found Steve's playing quite obvious again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-09 11:39 by StonedRambler.

Date: June 9, 2022 12:10

Looking at Rocks Off now. By you guys assessment I expected the intro to be worse. It's probably better to just listen than to look at it though. I've always very much disliked it when a drummer would move in such a show off manner. With Steve it's the constant shrugging his shoulders here. I just can't even take that seriously.

Date: June 9, 2022 12:11

It feels like looking at a commercial.

Date: June 9, 2022 14:07

The Rolling Stones were / are an English band from London, i find it curious Bill & Charlie have been replaced by Americans, not entirely sure American Rock is the same as British rock bands, there is a subtle difference that's hard to explain. Having said that i'm proud to have Steve Jordan as Charlie's replacement, but the cracks seem to show up now as they play more shows without Charlie, i'm beginning to realize just how unique and versatile Charlie was, especially on tracks like SFM, Paint It Black, Rocks Off, Tumbling Dice and SMU.

Sorry but i think Charlie was actually irreplaceable just as Keith and Mick are and to some extent Bill too.

So regardless of all that its great to see Steve enjoying himself and Keith obviously loves having his mate on tour with him, if nothing else Steve has given Keith an extra boost that was desperately needed.
There is no perfect fit when it comes to replacing people like Bill, Charlie or Mick Taylor but i'm pleased they continued, i have to admit though that now they have reached that 60th milestone i think this will be the last Stadium tour.

Mick and Ronnie are running at 70 % now, even Duracell's run down eventually, i'm actually seeing them run out of steam as i watch, it's coming to an end as i witness them going through the motions straining to make those happy faces and smiles, straining to move like younger men, when Ronnie isn't engaged and interacting with someone he looks exhausted, i get the impression he would rather be spending precious time with his twins.
Also the band have learned to cover for Keith when he's drunk or Stoned in the past but there is no one to cover for Mick and Ronnie, Mick is the main attraction Ronnie is the cover guy, Keith is too old to cover for Ronnie now, it takes everything he has to keep himself going and stay on track and understandably so at age 78.

I suspect this is the last time the Stones play to the masses, so if you are in Europe and can go see them i suggest you do because me thinks this gravy train is about to pull in to the station for the last time..

Date: June 9, 2022 14:53

keefriffhards
The Rolling Stones were / are an English band from London, i find it curious Bill & Charlie have been replaced by Americans, not entirely sure American Rock is the same as British rock bands, there is a subtle difference that's hard to explain. Having said that i'm proud to have Steve Jordan as Charlie's replacement, but the cracks seem to show up now as they play more shows without Charlie, i'm beginning to realize just how unique and versatile Charlie was, especially on tracks like SFM, Paint It Black, Rocks Off, Tumbling Dice and SMU.

Sorry but i think Charlie was actually irreplaceable just as Keith and Mick are and to some extent Bill too.

So regardless of all that its great to see Steve enjoying himself and Keith obviously loves having his mate on tour with him, if nothing else Steve has given Keith an extra boost that was desperately needed.
There is no perfect fit when it comes to replacing people like Bill, Charlie or Mick Taylor but i'm pleased they continued, i have to admit though that now they have reached that 60th milestone i think this will be the last Stadium tour.

Mick and Ronnie are running at 70 % now, even Duracell's run down eventually, i'm actually seeing them run out of steam as i watch, it's coming to an end as i witness them going through the motions straining to make those happy faces and smiles, straining to move like younger men, when Ronnie isn't engaged and interacting with someone he looks exhausted, i get the impression he would rather be spending precious time with his twins.
Also the band have learned to cover for Keith when he's drunk or Stoned in the past but there is no one to cover for Mick and Ronnie, Mick is the main attraction Ronnie is the cover guy, Keith is too old to cover for Ronnie now, it takes everything he has to keep himself going and stay on track and understandably so at age 78.

I suspect this is the last time the Stones play to the masses, so if you are in Europe and can go see them i suggest you do because me thinks this gravy train is about to pull in to the station for the last time..

Guess we had seen two different shows. As for Ronnie I agree. His playing and physical fitness are not the same they were four years ago, however if you consider he has been through chemo at least two times he's doing pretty amazing. And compared to his drunk-times in the 90s he plays better and moves more than on some concerts back then.

As for Mick, I don't think his abilities have faded at all since 2017. His voice is super-strong and he's just moving all the time. There's this out-of-breath thing he always does in between songs which is supposed to be a joke I don't get (otherwise he would not hold the Mic in front of his mouth) but I haven't seen him really struggling with his fitness for one moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-09 14:54 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Cloud65 ()
Date: June 9, 2022 15:47

I like the reviews of schwonek and paintmonkeymanblack very much. It was my impression too that the stadium nearly exploded during JJF. One of Ramblers best versions. Happy you-tube comments saying it was the best concert of their life.
I enjoyed to see Tim Ries having his fun during Rocks Off. A friendly man to talk to. The only thing that irritates me is reading that Steve Jordan doesn't play on Rocks Off exactly like Charlie. I wonder what Keith would say to such a statement.
Maybe my remark is not that neutral, because I got a nice autograph from Steve the day before the show.
Btw: if someone with influence it reading this: please play Let It Bleed and/or All down the line and/or Fool To Cry in Amsterdam.
Btw: in which beergarden is Mick sitting during his video?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 15 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home