Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16
Re: Munich Germany 05-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 6, 2022 21:42

slewan
keefriffhards
Christiaan
Rocks Off from the stand

[youtu.be]

Is i said and suspected last night Matts recording was very unforgiving, after watching this YouTube clip i see Mick singing ahead of the band once, Keith messed up once and Ronnie messed up once but the overall feel of Rocks off to the audience was a blast.

let's call it a wild alternate one-off jam loosely based on 'Rocks Off'

grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 6, 2022 22:25

PaintMonkeyManBlack
So a short review.

Leonardo Royal was the place to be. Packed with Stones fans. Met with Topi and Otto for beers and lunch. Lovely to meet you guys! Really cool! When the rain was at worst Topi and I decided to pick up the dips. Like true warriors we battled through the rain and got to the LD counter which was closed.

Only at 18.15 they opened and the line was in the middle of the waiting area for people waiting for normal entrance and for people wanting to buy tickets at the cashier. There was only one window with Lucky Dips and it was so slow. The line did not move at all. Nobody I talked to could help. Nobody of the organisation took his responability to try and escalate this problem as it was very clear people would miss the show start. I got my tickets 10 minutes before showtime, after waiting 3,5 hours in line. I am really dissapointed in the organisation. There where a lot of angry people there and pretty sure some of them missed the show. Unacceptable and it certainly ruined the pre show vibe. Also later on in the stadium nobody knew what wristbands meant what. Just total chaos everywhere. It's not that difficult, especially if you are a professional organisation who earn a lot of money.

So after that into the stadium.. And what a beauty this stadium is. Just very impressive. Not practical though. I was in the silver pit and to go to the toilets you needed to go all the way through GA, to the back, take all the stairs and then go round the stadium halfway to find toilets. I missed 3 songs in my toilet break.

So the show:

SFM: Great opener, Keith looked so cool and the band played great! Very emotional to see them back on the stage without Charlie.
19th: Very good song and the beginning of an obsessed Jagger.
Rocks Off: Very underrehearsed. Still very nice to hear it, love this song
TD: Ok
OOT: WOW... Yes! So cool! Keep it. It's a live classic
Ruby: Nice song, ok performance
YCAGWYW: Ok version, Ronnie not that good (not his best show)
Ghost Town: Ok song and version.
HTW, Connection, SA: Toilet break. Hate that i missed 3 songs. Only intented to miss HTW and Band intro's. But faster was not possible and I really need to go since I had not time to go before since the LD fiasco.
Miss You: Always ok live.
MR: Weird one. Trainwreck in the first half. But one of the best versions ever in the second half. Will remember this one for a long time.
SMU: This song just doesn't work with Steve. Did not like it one bit
PIB: This song works very good with Steve. Great version!
Sympathy: Good version. Keith very loud.
JJF: One of the best versions since 50th. Loved it. Very very very good from Keith.
GS: Missed something today. Sasha and Mick were fantastic though
Satisfaction: Ok

So overall a good show but not a great one. However this is the second show of the tour and you can feel that in a few shows they will be 100% on fire. Keith his riffing was fantastic tonight. His soloing not so. Ronnie had an off night for my feeling. It was Mick carrying the show. This man is unbelievable. Is he from this planet? Bit worried about him using up his voice too much though. But this was peak Jagger as we love to see.

Sound was loud and clear, but was missing something mostly for Jagger. Not sure what it is.

The stage just sucks. Sorry, can't make anything other out of this. They cheaped out on the stage and overal production. This is not what the fans deserve tbh. I think when you're in the Pit or close the stage is 'ok' but further back it just lacks everything the Stones are known for. Bad decision making there.

This review may seem more negative than intented. Please don't open a topic about me smiling smiley

I loved yesterday and will remember it for all my life. It's incredible to do a show which on my list would be somewhere in middle if ranked for my shows regarding their age and the fact this is only the 2nd show. They 2nd shows in earliers years were not as good as this one for sure. And I am pretty sure they will get better and better every show.

One last thing: German organisation; shame on you! Very worried about a few other show's I'll be going like Brussel (Belgium organisation...) and Paris (we have seen the Champions League final organisation)..

See you in Amsterdam!

Thanks for this review PaintMonkeyManBlack - enjoyed it very much.

You captured the good (Mick), the bad (Luck Dip line), and the ugly (stage) very well.
I've read Dean Goodman's comments about the stage also, and seems you and he have come to a similar conclusion.

Have a great time in Amsterdam, and I look forward to more of your firsthand accounts and impressions.
Keep on writing, and keep on rolling.............thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 6, 2022 22:39

maumau
yeababyyea
Nice version of Jumping Jack Flash, a bit slower than last year which gives it a better groove.

thumbs up

thumbs up

Street Fighting Man was also great last night, as it was in Madrid...it's always a thrill when Keith strolls out and lashes away with those iconic riffs...

Can't find any full length great SFM clips from last night yet, but here's this from Madrid the other night - another great Matt Lee video including the Charlie tribute opening:

Posted by: Gram ()
Date: June 6, 2022 22:51

SFM at Madrid was really good… real ‘out of the blocks’ energy…

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 6, 2022 23:47

Marvelous where all these fans come from, it seems only about five of them were from IORR

Posted by: PatrickS77 ()
Date: June 7, 2022 02:18

DiegoGlimmerStones
PatrickS77
Thanks for posting my pics individually. I was too lazy for that. winking smiley

You're welcome Patrick. Thank you for sharing, your pictures are amazing!! thumbs upsmileys with beer

Thanks. I don't even know where to find the individual links. winking smiley Here are some more ofmy pics from Munich: [www.instagram.com]

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 7, 2022 03:29

Listened to the above SFM video with earpods and it was really good!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 7, 2022 05:05

keefriffhards
slewan
keefriffhards
Christiaan
Rocks Off from the stand

[youtu.be]

Is i said and suspected last night Matts recording was very unforgiving, after watching this YouTube clip i see Mick singing ahead of the band once, Keith messed up once and Ronnie messed up once but the overall feel of Rocks off to the audience was a blast.

let's call it a wild alternate one-off jam loosely based on 'Rocks Off'

grinning smiley

19th Off!!??

Date: June 7, 2022 05:11

keefriffhards
Christiaan
Rocks Off from the stand

[youtu.be]

I didn't hear anything you mentioned. Keith starting 19th was interesting.

Otherwise just another usual slopfest of how they've been playing it since 1994 or whenever.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 7, 2022 05:32

GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
Christiaan
Rocks Off from the stand

[youtu.be]

Otherwise just another usual slopfest of how they've been playing it since 1994 or whenever.

Rocks Off could be my favourite song, but given how they play it live I prefer not hearing it. What I heard from the Munich recording confirms it.

Some of their songs are better live but some, like Rocks Off, Start Me Up, She's So Cold...they are studio magic and untouchable.

Date: June 7, 2022 05:44

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
Christiaan
Rocks Off from the stand

[youtu.be]

Rocks Off could be my favourite song, but given how they play it live I prefer not hearing it. What I heard from the Munich recording confirms it.

Some of their songs are better live but some, like Rocks Off, Start Me Up, She's So Cold...they are studio magic and untouchable.

Well, 1989-90 Start Me Up was killer. Otherwise, yep. Goulash.

The other two have always been horrendous.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 7, 2022 06:39

She's So Cold is amazing.

I have spoken.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 7, 2022 06:43

It seems to me that Mick was putting extra special effort into the vocals during Ruby Tuesday. Does anyone agree or am I off base? It felt like he was doing stuff rehearsed with a vocal coach. I'm not knocking it at all. It was good singing. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed it or if my imagination is running away with me.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: June 7, 2022 07:27

jahisnotdead
It seems to me that Mick was putting extra special effort into the vocals during Ruby Tuesday. Does anyone agree or am I off base? It felt like he was doing stuff rehearsed with a vocal coach. I'm not knocking it at all. It was good singing. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed it or if my imagination is running away with me.

Yes and not only on Rubt Tuesday, i have this feeling during the all concert!

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: June 7, 2022 10:16

AntoineParis
jahisnotdead

Yes, of course he has a couch and he is trying to improve and to be in good shape. I guess he is doing it since a long time. Now he is an old man at the age of 78 and he has to work hard to sound like he does.
The first time, you could hear this was in 1989/1990.
I'm glad, he does it these days, because otherwise he wouldn't be able to sing like he does.
It's the same about his body, fitnes etc. He is working hard on all this.

Date: June 7, 2022 10:28

<Yes, of course he has a couch and he is trying to improve and to be in good shape>

I wanna improve my shape by laying on the couch, too! It's impossible, though winking smiley

Date: June 7, 2022 12:27

DandelionPowderman

I wanna improve my shape by laying on the couch, too! It's impossible, though winking smiley

>grinning smiley<

Oh, I'm working on that every day...
My coach told me so.

grinning smiley

Date: June 7, 2022 12:33

micha063
DandelionPowderman

>grinning smiley<

Oh, I'm working on that every day...
My coach told me so.

grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 7, 2022 14:26

micha063
AntoineParis
jahisnotdead

Yes, of course he has a couch and he is trying to improve and to be in good shape. I guess he is doing it since a long time. Now he is an old man at the age of 78 and he has to work hard to sound like he does.

The first time, you could hear this was in 1989/1990.
I'm glad, he does it these days, because otherwise he wouldn't be able to sing like he does.
It's the same about his body, fitnes etc. He is working hard on all this.

And he is my hero. It is obvious how hard he works to maintain the physical condition/voice that he has at his age. Easily comparable to a man 25 years younger, to be conservative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-07 14:58 by steffialicia.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 7, 2022 14:44

So Micks secret is simply that he was properly couched over the years?

Date: June 7, 2022 15:40

Hairball
PaintMonkeyManBlack
So a short review.

Leonardo Royal was the place to be. Packed with Stones fans. Met with Topi and Otto for beers and lunch. Lovely to meet you guys! Really cool! When the rain was at worst Topi and I decided to pick up the dips. Like true warriors we battled through the rain and got to the LD counter which was closed.

Only at 18.15 they opened and the line was in the middle of the waiting area for people waiting for normal entrance and for people wanting to buy tickets at the cashier. There was only one window with Lucky Dips and it was so slow. The line did not move at all. Nobody I talked to could help. Nobody of the organisation took his responability to try and escalate this problem as it was very clear people would miss the show start. I got my tickets 10 minutes before showtime, after waiting 3,5 hours in line. I am really dissapointed in the organisation. There where a lot of angry people there and pretty sure some of them missed the show. Unacceptable and it certainly ruined the pre show vibe. Also later on in the stadium nobody knew what wristbands meant what. Just total chaos everywhere. It's not that difficult, especially if you are a professional organisation who earn a lot of money.

So after that into the stadium.. And what a beauty this stadium is. Just very impressive. Not practical though. I was in the silver pit and to go to the toilets you needed to go all the way through GA, to the back, take all the stairs and then go round the stadium halfway to find toilets. I missed 3 songs in my toilet break.

So the show:

SFM: Great opener, Keith looked so cool and the band played great! Very emotional to see them back on the stage without Charlie.
19th: Very good song and the beginning of an obsessed Jagger.
Rocks Off: Very underrehearsed. Still very nice to hear it, love this song
TD: Ok
OOT: WOW... Yes! So cool! Keep it. It's a live classic
Ruby: Nice song, ok performance
YCAGWYW: Ok version, Ronnie not that good (not his best show)
Ghost Town: Ok song and version.
HTW, Connection, SA: Toilet break. Hate that i missed 3 songs. Only intented to miss HTW and Band intro's. But faster was not possible and I really need to go since I had not time to go before since the LD fiasco.
Miss You: Always ok live.
MR: Weird one. Trainwreck in the first half. But one of the best versions ever in the second half. Will remember this one for a long time.
SMU: This song just doesn't work with Steve. Did not like it one bit
PIB: This song works very good with Steve. Great version!
Sympathy: Good version. Keith very loud.
JJF: One of the best versions since 50th. Loved it. Very very very good from Keith.
GS: Missed something today. Sasha and Mick were fantastic though
Satisfaction: Ok

So overall a good show but not a great one. However this is the second show of the tour and you can feel that in a few shows they will be 100% on fire. Keith his riffing was fantastic tonight. His soloing not so. Ronnie had an off night for my feeling. It was Mick carrying the show. This man is unbelievable. Is he from this planet? Bit worried about him using up his voice too much though. But this was peak Jagger as we love to see.

Sound was loud and clear, but was missing something mostly for Jagger. Not sure what it is.

The stage just sucks. Sorry, can't make anything other out of this. They cheaped out on the stage and overal production. This is not what the fans deserve tbh. I think when you're in the Pit or close the stage is 'ok' but further back it just lacks everything the Stones are known for. Bad decision making there.

This review may seem more negative than intented. Please don't open a topic about me smiling smiley

I loved yesterday and will remember it for all my life. It's incredible to do a show which on my list would be somewhere in middle if ranked for my shows regarding their age and the fact this is only the 2nd show. They 2nd shows in earliers years were not as good as this one for sure. And I am pretty sure they will get better and better every show.

One last thing: German organisation; shame on you! Very worried about a few other show's I'll be going like Brussel (Belgium organisation...) and Paris (we have seen the Champions League final organisation)..

See you in Amsterdam!

Thanks for this review PaintMonkeyManBlack - enjoyed it very much.

You captured the good (Mick), the bad (Luck Dip line), and the ugly (stage) very well.
I've read Dean Goodman's comments about the stage also, and seems you and he have come to a similar conclusion.

Have a great time in Amsterdam, and I look forward to more of your firsthand accounts and impressions.
Keep on writing, and keep on rolling.............thumbs up

thank you Hairball, that's nice.

Mick was fantastic. Very inspired.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 7, 2022 16:24

Yeah, it totally was Mick's game in Munich. I have to agree with PaintMonkeyManBlack's overall review of the show, meaning the show was really good, not great. As said before, the sound, at least in the pit, was really good and crispy.

Enough has been said about the LD shambles in Munich, I just hope that never happens again.

Munich Germany 05-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 7, 2022 16:51

The Rolling Stones Bust Out a Rare Classic on Munich Tour Stop

New drummer, new heart valve, same old magic.

By Robert Levine
June 6, 2022

Sven Hoppe

In spring 1993, Mick Jagger appeared on the cover of Esquire next to the line “Have You Seen Your Grandfather, Baby?” – a reference to both a 1966 Rolling Stones single and the fact that Jagger had reached the ripe old age of… wait for it…. 49. What a drag it is getting old. Could the Stones keep rolling?

The question seems quaint today, considering it came about halfway through the Stones’ career, which is now being celebrated with a 60th anniversary tour of Europe that began June 1 in Madrid and runs through July 31 in Stockholm. Jagger and Keith Richards are now both 78, Ron Wood is 75, and over the last three decades the band has survived the retirement of bassist Bill Wyman (at a mere 56!), the replacement of one of Jagger’s heart valves, and the death of drummer Charlie Watts. That Esquire cover is nearly 30 — and still, they keep rolling.

o answer the obvious question: The Stones are still a fantastic live act, to judge by their June 5 show at Olympiastadion in Munich, the second of this tour. Jagger may have lost a step, but he still dominated a stage set up with long wings on both sides, plus a catwalk that extended above the stadium floor. (He could move around less but apparently chooses not to.) Richards and Wood moved less – no great change there – but played as well as ever. Darryl Jones, who has been filling in for Wyman since 1993 – longer than most bands last – shone on a bass-heavy “Miss You,” as close as the Stones ever got to disco. And though Watts was in some way the soul of the Stones – unflappable, immaculately dressed and always a bit behind the beat by exactly the right amount – Steve Jordan, who began filling in for him last year, anchored the band with style.

The show started strong with “Street Fighting Man” and “19th Nervous Breakdown,” then slipped with a version of “Rocks Off” that didn’t quite hold together when Jagger had trouble hitting some notes. But the band regained its footing with “Tumbling Dice,” then played the second-ever live version of “Out of Time,” which Jagger introduced by saying it “should be better” than the song’s live debut in Madrid. (The backup musicians certainly gave it a rich musical texture.) After exhorting the crowd to sing along to “Ruby Tuesday” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” Jagger changed into a hoodie to clown around a bit on “Living in a Ghost Town” and a sharp “Honky Tonk Women.”

Jagger had received some attention from German media for filling his Instagram account with tourist pictures of Munich from the previous day, and before he introduced the band, he spoke about enjoying a drink at a biergarten during what he described as “bikini weather,” in decent German. “Not many bikinis tonight,” he pointed out, on account of a rainstorm that threatened to delay the show, then cleared up. Then Richards took the mic to play a song he introduced as “a new one; well, an old new one” – “Connection,” which came out in 1967. (Then again, who among us can pretend to know how Keith Richards experiences time: He was around before most of the fans in the audience, and he may very well be around after them, too.) He got as much applause for speaking in English as Jagger did speaking German.

Then Jagger came back to sing “Miss You,” a typically extended version of “Midnight Rambler” and four of the band’s iconic songs: “Start Me Up,” “Paint It, Black,” “Sympathy for the Devil,” and “Jumpin’ Jack Flash.” The hands-down highlight was the first encore: A furious version of “Gimme Shelter” that Jagger sang as a duet with backup vocalist Sasha Allen. As the music built, Allen and then Jagger sashayed down the catwalk, two divas determined to make their drama bring down the house, then faced one another to howl out all the emotion in the lyrics. The entire stadium seemed to hang on every line – “It’s just a shot away / shot away” – and one of the grander productions in rock seemed to fade into the background.

At this point, the Stones, who ended the show with “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” have become known partly for their professional consistency and their ability to deliver a great show, rain or shine – even with a new drummer or new heart valve. And they did. At their best, though – on “Out of Time,” “Honky Tonk Women,” “Miss You” and especially “Gimme Shelter” – they also still deliver real magic.

[www.billboard.com]

Re: Munich Germany 05-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 7, 2022 17:15

The Stones were on their way to Liverpool (via Manchester) - [www.Flightradar24.com] , [FlightAware.com] :

Stones-Jet parked at Munich Airport

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-07 20:00 by Irix.

Re: Munich Germany 05-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 7, 2022 18:43

Talking about "couches", have Mick's usual ones been seen roaming around the ramp like on previous tours ? There was his personal trainer TE who used to run around with a flashlight to give Mick some bearings I suppose when he went on the ramp. And then his "dancing" (?) coach with a yellow sweat-shirt and a roundish hat.

Looks like the guy who wrote that Bilboard review has been spending too much time on IORR, i.e. "Richards and Wood moved less – no great change there – but played as well as ever" ;-) I'm happy to give Keith as many passes as he needs but no one in their right mind can listen to GS, particularly the intro, and write something like that, or maybe it was TIC ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 7, 2022 19:26

Nikkei

Well, naps are important. winking smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 7, 2022 19:47

I have the impression that during "Out Of Time" guitars are upper on the mix, campared to Madrid version. What do think?

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: June 7, 2022 23:33

Couches are important, perhaps he had a coach who told him to take a nap on the couch?

SomeTorontoGirl
Nikkei

Well, naps are important. winking smiley

Posted by: rstass ()
Date: June 7, 2022 23:44

I was at the stadium next to the barrier when they did the soundcheck.
I heard Ruby Tuesday, Connection, Out of control and 1 song what I did not recognize.
It was a slow number and Mick played such kind of harmonica theme like he does in Midnight Rambler but it was not that song.
Can anyone who has also listened to the soundcheck tell me which song it might have been?
Out of control seemed to be sung by Bernard. Is there anyone who has heard that too?

I bought PIT A ticket. After the entrance in the stadium we had to wait till the early entry ticket holders took place their spot.
There was a lot of scramble when we got our wristband and we run to the pit. Somebody even lost his VIP bag there.

I enjoyed the show although I really miss Charlie. SFM, SMU and Satisfaction sounded so different with Steve.
Mick was in good mood. Ronnie’s guiter solo in You can’t and Midnight Rambler were not so good. What I realy liked that was the sound of the guitars.
After the rain the air was fresh and Keith Telecaster sounded so loud and clear. JJF was the best song for me.

Date: June 7, 2022 23:45

I just came back home from Munich today and I'm still flashed about the show! I realized it was my 26th show, when I put the ticket to my collection. I still have all of them since 1982.
When they startet touring in 2012 I was very happy and the shows 2014 in Berlin, 2017 in Hamburg and 2018 in Berlin were great. But this time it's somehow different. I had a hell of a good time, I was very relaxed and I also enjoyed my time in Munich.
May be it's because it was such an emotional experience after two years of lockdown. To be together with so many people and having a real good time together was realy fantastic. I can't help me saying this is one of the best things we as humans can do. Come together and have a real good time. May be the Stones feel a bit like that as well and that's a reason for them to enjoy the shows a lot, They obviously did.
This show was very special for me and it's definitely on my Top 5 among the 26.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-07 23:50 by micha063.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1367
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home