Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick hates the past
Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: June 5, 2022 11:17

Charly wanted them to continue and recomended Steve Jordan to replace him. They decided to do so. I think this needs courage because it could have failed. They tryed and they trusted in Steve Jordan. You can hear and see this in their 2021 shows.They trusted, let themselves go and did, what can do at its best: play and let the excitement of the very moment happen.
I was sceptic, when they decided to replace Charly but they proved their decision. And they show their awarenes of Charlies importance. I have a lot of respect for all this.

And I will go their show tonight!
Yippee!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 5, 2022 11:22

Rocky Dijon
Mick hates the past is an odd spin on claims he's anti-nostalgia. All of this stems from the notion that because he exerts a slight effort to keep up with the times when writing and recording new material, Mick is anti-nostalgia. If that were truthful, he would have left the Stones behind in 1985 and played shows made up only of his latest material regardless of the size of the venue. The very fact that he sings primarily material from 1965 - 1981 at every show, signed a contract to reissue expanded versions of five classic albums from the 1970s and 1980s, and signed a contract to start releasing archival concert recordings from the 1970s forward should be proof that he doesn't hate the past.

Had it been possible for him, he would have left the Stones behind in the 80s. Since that, the Stones have Mick in a somewhat diminished capacity. He doesn't like nostalgia, that is why.

Posted by: bertrichards ()
Date: June 5, 2022 11:29

Spodlumt
It seems to me that any realistic discussion of their behavior other than fawning is not tolerated here. Prove me wrong.

Are you interested in any discussions?

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: June 5, 2022 11:58

Erik_Snow
And meanwhile I like honest views, even when they are very negative, saying that they should hang it up, is just like saying France should stop being France after Waterloo.

Just call it ABBA lol.

Posted by: icke66 ()
Date: June 5, 2022 12:21

All that mimimi is just boring. A lot of people here don't have an own life it seems. Who are you to judge the best singer and frontman ever??? He does what he wants to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-05 12:24 by icke66.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 5, 2022 13:03

It's not my business if Mick Jagger likes or dislikes the past or what he does in his sparetime or anything to do with his love life. I'm really not interested in that, other that I whish for him to be happy with his life.

For me, this is the question:

Do I have a good time at Rolling Stones shows?

Answer: Yes. And that has a lot to do with Mr Jaggers performance and the overall quality of the band and musicians on stage, the music played. I also like being part of a crowd of other fans who have a great night out at the concerts.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 5, 2022 13:32

Papo
It's not my business if Mick Jagger likes or dislikes the past or what he does in his sparetime or anything to do with his love life. I'm really not interested in that, other that I whish for him to be happy with his life.

For me, this is the question:

Do I have a good time at Rolling Stones shows?

Answer: Yes. And that has a lot to do with Mr Jaggers performance and the overall quality of the band and musicians on stage, the music played. I also like being part of a crowd of other fans who have a great night out at the concerts.

I am pretty sure if Mr Jagger reads your post he would be very pleased: that's what he as a public performer tries to do, and nothing else matters.

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 5, 2022 13:36

retired_dog
Spodlumt
That's why the death of Charlie Watts hasn't ended the band. Just like the 4,000 women he has been with, this is just another bump in the road.

And before you flame me, think about how you would react to losing an integral part of your life. How it would effect your soul. Assuming you had one.

I've been a fan for more than 50 years. I'm not a troll. But this chapter truly disturbs me.

It seems to me that any realistic discussion of their behavior other than fawning is not tolerated here. Prove me wrong.

I don't have to think about it, I actually lost an integral part of my life last year - my wife. Most of the things we did we did together - and that includes going to numerous Stones shows. Everything I do now I have to do alone. It hurts, it hurts tremendously, but what shall I do? My soul tells me that I have to carry on doing all the things in life I enjoyed in the past. Otherwise I would give myself up. Is that the kind of "solution" you want for the remaining Stones members? Just because of your selfish opinion that they have to stop because you want them to stop?

And please stop this stupid Jagger blame game. He has a soul, just like you and me. He has made perfectly clear that he misses Charlie as his fellow band member and as his friend. But Mick's life continues. It's his decision that he wants to carry on. Just like Keith's or Ronnie's - personal decisions we should not question from the outside.

Words of wisdom. Sorry to hear about your big loss, Retired Dog. All the power to you.

- Doxa

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 5, 2022 15:46

Doxa
retired_dog
Spodlumt
That's why the death of Charlie Watts hasn't ended the band. Just like the 4,000 women he has been with, this is just another bump in the road.

And before you flame me, think about how you would react to losing an integral part of your life. How it would effect your soul. Assuming you had one.

I've been a fan for more than 50 years. I'm not a troll. But this chapter truly disturbs me.

I don't have to think about it, I actually lost an integral part of my life last year - my wife. Most of the things we did we did together - and that includes going to numerous Stones shows. Everything I do now I have to do alone. It hurts, it hurts tremendously, but what shall I do? My soul tells me that I have to carry on doing all the things in life I enjoyed in the past. Otherwise I would give myself up. Is that the kind of "solution" you want for the remaining Stones members? Just because of your selfish opinion that they have to stop because you want them to stop?

And please stop this stupid Jagger blame game. He has a soul, just like you and me. He has made perfectly clear that he misses Charlie as his fellow band member and as his friend. But Mick's life continues. It's his decision that he wants to carry on. Just like Keith's or Ronnie's - personal decisions we should not question from the outside.

Words of wisdom. Sorry to hear about your big loss, Retired Dog. All the power to you.

- Doxa

Yes, carry on, retired_dog, as best you can as long as you can! In respect of what you two shared! The best still possible to you!

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: June 5, 2022 15:53

They clearly still enjoy what there doing yes it sucks Charlie is gone but life goes on you have to live and enjoy life if this makes them happy who are we to tell them what to do. Also clearly most people are still enjoying them so let them live can't sit in a corner and do nothing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 5, 2022 16:32

Rockman
Sixty years in The Greatest RocknRoll band ....

What else are they gonna do ?
Move ta New Zealand and get colonial to teach 'em concreting

Hey, stamped sealed concreted is in vogue. Don't knock it 'til you try it!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 5, 2022 16:36

Taylor1
How does he hate the past where he sang Out ofTime,a56 year old song? Most of the songs he sings live on this tour are over 40 years old.His band has released one album of new material in a quarter of a century.Sounds like he loves it too much

Ha, good point. AND, all the 'new' releases in the last decade have been 'old' in the can material.

It's lovely seeing them still hitting the stage with such conviction EVERY time and the pure joy they give to so many.

For the people that would rather see them retire after Charlie, that's understandable but they simply don't need to watch. It isn't their choice.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 5, 2022 17:54

Doxa
retired_dog
Spodlumt

- Doxa

all the best to you Retired Dog...and yes look forward to the future with confidence and hope it is the only way forward. Carry on!.

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: June 5, 2022 20:42

They could bill themselves as "Formerly of the Rolling Stones" like "Formerlly of the Harlets" and everybody would be happy? Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman too?

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 5, 2022 21:00

Yea I'm not sure if they should call themselves The Rolling Stones anymore.

"Mick & Keith with Chuck Leavell and his band" would be a more fitting name.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 5, 2022 21:08

Touching words Retired Dog and I wish you all the best.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 5, 2022 22:49

Retired Dog, I wish you the best. I've recently gone through losing my soul mate. We had our ups and downs, but we were always loyal to each spiritually. I miss her every day and it's been over a year. I guess the deeper the love the deeper the loss. Happily I have a tight support group of people who miss her just as much. We can commiserate and share memories. I hope you're not alone in this, even though you'll think about her every day.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 5, 2022 23:37

McCartney is older than Mick and is still performing.Paul looks good for an 80 year old

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 6, 2022 00:38

Taylor1
McCartney is older than Mick and is still performing.Paul looks good for an 80 year old

And his setlists have quite a few new and recent songs; they might not be up to his highest standards, but to his credit he actually releases new music in the first place.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 6, 2022 01:05

Taylor1

well, he didn't live that typical Rock´n´Roll life…

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 6, 2022 01:06

Hairball
Taylor1

And his setlists have quite a few new and recent songs; they might not be up to his highest standards, but to his credit he actually releases new music in the first place.

But nobody really cares about his new music, so whats the point, they wanna hear Beatles classics

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 6, 2022 01:08

Taylor1

And can’t sing a note anymore. He’s sounds bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-06 02:33 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: June 6, 2022 01:15

NilsHolgersson
Hairball
Taylor1

But nobody really cares about his new music, so whats the point, they wanna hear Beatles classics

Valid, though I'm sure there are some diehards who love his new/recent stuff, and there are many who attend that love ALL of his solo and/or Wings material - including Silly Love Songs and the like.
But the main point is he actually records and releases new music. Not resting on his laurels and living completely in the past...still willing to taking a risk and not playing it safe...not quite out to pasture...yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-06 01:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 6, 2022 02:25

NilsHolgersson
Hairball
Taylor1

If he was to play all new stuff all we would hear are complaints that he isn't playing the classic. If/when the Stones release their new album they would get piloried for not playing all the warhorses. People just complain to complain.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 6, 2022 02:39

daspyknows
NilsHolgersson
Hairball
Taylor1

If he was to play all new stuff all we would hear are complaints that he isn't playing the classic. If/when the Stones release their new album they would get piloried for not playing all the warhorses. People just complain to complain.

Correct. Some people are never happy with what The Stones do.

Date: June 6, 2022 03:11

Can't imagine a Stones stadium show without some of the classic great warhorses (HTW, Satisfaction, etc.), - it just wouldn't be the same.
On the other hand, can't imagine a Stones show with many new/recent tunes either as only a few of them exist! Praise be for Living in a Ghost Town... thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 6, 2022 05:23

retired_dog
Spodlumt

I buried two dogs within 4 days recently that were with me in my life with my wife and while and after she died.

They would've died anyway.

Life goes on. It has to. Unless you opt out. This bitch from people about the band without Charlie etc? Their opinions don't affect reality. Because they are opinions. Opinions aren't facts.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 6, 2022 16:54

Rocky Dijon
Mick hates the past is an odd spin on claims he's anti-nostalgia. All of this stems from the notion that because he exerts a slight effort to keep up with the times when writing and recording new material, Mick is anti-nostalgia. If that were truthful, he would have left the Stones behind in 1985 and played shows made up only of his latest material regardless of the size of the venue. The very fact that he sings primarily material from 1965 - 1981 at every show, signed a contract to reissue expanded versions of five classic albums from the 1970s and 1980s, and signed a contract to start releasing archival concert recordings from the 1970s forward should be proof that he doesn't hate the past.

Though I dearly love both groups, The Stones are as much a nostalgia act as The Beach Boys (Macca, too) - we're all trying to relive our youth.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 6, 2022 17:33

Mick hates the past lol.

At age 78 he has a lot more past than future but Mick makes the most of the here and now, that's how i see Mick, in the here and now and that's why i love him because that's all there is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-06 21:51 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 6, 2022 17:42

Apparently the OP thinks Mick is very angry as he passes other drivers in his fast car.
I think the he meant "Mick hates the PASSED" ... referring to people who drive their cars too slow on the highway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-06 18:16 by schillid.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home