Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why does Dean Goodman go to shows?
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 4, 2022 16:40

His reviews of the shows for years have been so negative. Why does he bother? Seriously. I’d love to know. He seems to be hoping for something that he knows he’s never going to get. Yet he goes…and goes…and goes.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-05 19:13 by bv.

Re: Serious q… why does Dean Goodman go to shows?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 4, 2022 17:03

Habit, event junkie, too much money, likes to travel? I don't know, I usually don't read the iorr reviews, they are too alike. I read this one thanks to you.
At least Dean is the odd one out now. Perhaps closer to the truth than the rest of them?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 4, 2022 17:10

It's like an old man complaining about his wife but deep inside he always knows how much he loves her

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 4, 2022 17:14

I enjoy Dean’s point of view, the 6/1 review was not totally scathing. Looking forward to the rest of the tour. He had positive reviews(for him) last year

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 4, 2022 17:18

I disagree. I find Dean's reviews to be refreshingly honest, sober and contemplative. He gives a fair and balanced assessment. His reviews read like a journalist's piece, and not that of a 'fanboy' They're excellent. Keep it up, Dean!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 4, 2022 17:34

I like his reviews. Though sometimes stinging, they provide a refreshing contrast to most of the rest of ours.
::going to read this one now:: He obviously has a deep, and perverted (j/k!) love for the band.

Thanks Dean Goodman.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 4, 2022 17:39

Haha...they're often pretty funny, let's go check out this one !

EDIT - read it and it does not disappoint ! A mix of personal observations that can only be made by someone in attendance, so it's useful for those not fortunate to be there, and some valid points(Charlie homage in Spanish, tiny screens, zero reference to "Sixty") what's not to like ? The only thing I don't really agree with is his opinion on "Ghost Town", I'm looking forward to hearing it live soon !

Here's the link to the reports BTW [iorr.org]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-04 19:32 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Boozehound ()
Date: June 4, 2022 17:46

I don't post often on here. I read all the comments and take it all in. The Stones saved my life in 1989. I was 19. I am the musician I am because of them. The Tampa show last year was one of the best nights of my life. These men are in their upper 70's. I cannot believe the bitching, the moaning, the complaining on here. Good Lord. They have all cleaned up and they sound fantastic. Steve Jordan is a great drummer and the ONLY one who could try to fill in for Charlie. If you want to live in the past God knows there are plenty of Greatest Hits, DVD's and the like for you to wallow in. Can we not celebrate this band and I mean all of them, Chuck, Sasha, Bernard, Darryl, etc. Jesus, it's like listening to my wife

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: June 4, 2022 19:14

As always Dean has made some very valid points. The stage is a cheap imitation of past glories and while it looks ok with the lights out it doesn't hold a candle to the No Filter screens. That's completely true.

There also was zero mention by any of the band of the Sixty years anniversary and no great medley of early hits performed for our pleasure. There was just one never-before performed song - Out of Time. I love the song and the performance was great, but that's it? Really? You can't think of anything else that is unknown from the past to remind us why sixty years matters to all of your fans?

Thanks Dean for being honest! The critic's section will never slow down but I look forward to your views.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 4, 2022 19:26

I love that people still expect so much from what's left of the Stones, knowing they can't possibly deliver. This is rock and roll, meant to be delivered with great energy only young men have. Yes, I wallow in DVDs and CDs. I think the 60th snuck up on them. Mick's never been big on nostalgia, and I think he had enough of that on the 50th tour. I'm assuming there's no video playing in the background with old Bill, Brian and Mick T. footage? (Crap, and now Charlie).

Mick showed he is still capable of great energy through his collaboration with Dave Grohl. Mick's band isn't. And that's okay. Enjoy the past they represent. There's no need to bitch about what they no longer are. Put on El Mocambo.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 4, 2022 19:27

please do not discuss private persons in IORR forums

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 4, 2022 21:08

slewan
please do not discuss private persons in IORR forums

Who exactly are you referring to?

Date: June 4, 2022 21:13

Dean went to the show and watched and wrote his thoughts. Too bad if you don't like it, not everyone is a cheerleader. Those of us who have been watching and listening to them long enough know exactly what he is talking about. Great review Dean.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 4, 2022 21:43

I think it's fine that you disagree with his review. Don't think it's particularly classy on your part to 'call him out' on it in the title of the thread.

VERY POOR social skills being exhibited on your part and I ask that you change the title of this thread minimally, or that it be deleted.

It's outrageous.

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: June 4, 2022 21:45

Of course he's entitled to his opinion, but his glass always seems to be half empty. I'm not sure what he was expecting since Mick said in an interview before the tour that there would not be a nostalgic look back like there was for the 50th anniversary.

I'm in the group that is glad they are still out there plugging away. I'm not that wrapped up in what kind of stage they are playing on, just glad they are still on a stage and performing. Their biggest competition is their past.

I would love to see the 1970's Stones again, just like I would like to be 50 years younger. They can only be who they are now, so I set my expectations accordingly when I go to a concert.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 4, 2022 22:00

I always enjoy Dean's reviews, and look forward to everyone he writes.
The good, the bad, the ugly...both sides of the coin...the dark and the light...warts and all....and I certainly don't always agree with all he has to say, but it's always thought provoking.
If they were truly offensive or out of line as some seem to think, you can bet that Bjornulf would never be publish them here on IORR, yet nearly every show of every tour, Deans reviews have been published.
Keep up the good work Dean. thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 4, 2022 22:01

Hairball
I always enjoy Dean's reviews, and look forward to everyone he writes.
The good, the bad, the ugly...both sides of the coin...the dark and the light...warts and all....and I certainly don't always agree with all he has to say, but it's always thought provoking.
If they were truly offensive or out of line as some seem to think, you can bet that Bjornulf would never be publish them here on IORR, yet nearly every show of every tour, Deans reviews have been published.
Keep up the good work Dean. thumbs up

smileys with beer whether or not you agree with the actual review.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 4, 2022 23:01

Don't know what is wrong with his reviews it's his opinion and in most cases the truth

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 4, 2022 23:06

If you don't like his opinion, don't read the reviews. At least his reviews are based on his experience AT the show, not some clown car review by someone watching on the phone via another phone.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: June 4, 2022 23:13

He has some good points. Personally, I'm 100% on his side about Ghost Town... Damn, I hate that song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-04 23:13 by daniel t.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 4, 2022 23:30

It is an offense to post about other individuals on IORR. Normally I would have deleted this thread, but Dean says he got a good laugh, so I will let it stay for a while.

Unlike most of us, Dean Goodman is a professional writer. Also, he is a true Stones fan, like me, love them just as much as any other superfan I do know personally. Dean has got his own opinion, and as we live in the free world, unlike others, we are allowed to express our opinion. Feel free to check out Dean's web site here:

Dean Goodman
Music Journalist • Author • Ghostwriter

Anyone should be able to supply a review to IORR, without having to fear being mobbed in a thread about the review or report.

Also, I am surprised some seem to think it is ok to talk negative about other fans, without knowing them at all, just making up some negative comments not even right at all.

PS. Posting about other individuals would normally result in loosing the posting access on IORR, a.k.a. getting banned from posting.

Bjornulf

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-05 00:22 by bv.

Date: June 5, 2022 00:18

I like Dean's reviews. Especially the one about the concert in Bogata.

Please keep the reviews coming.

Date: June 5, 2022 00:26

Who is Dean Goodman? Was he the Vjay on MTV? The guy who ruined Live Aid for me?

Date: June 5, 2022 00:36

bv
It is an offense to post about other individuals on IORR. Normally I would have deleted this thread, but Dean says he got a good laugh, so I will let it stay for a while.

Unlike most of us, Dean Goodman is a professional writer. Also, he is a true Stones fan, like me, love them just as much as any other superfan I do know personally. Dean has got his own opinion, and as we live in the free world, unlike others, we are allowed to express our opinion. Feel free to check out Dean's web site here:

Dean Goodman
Music Journalist • Author • Ghostwriter

Anyone should be able to supply a review to IORR, without having to fear being mobbed in a thread about the review or report.

Also, I am surprised some seem to think it is ok to talk negative about other fans, without knowing them at all, just making up some negative comments not even right at all.

PS. Posting about other individuals would normally result in loosing the posting access on IORR, a.k.a. getting banned from posting.

I'm glad you left the thread alone, I see absolutely no reason to close it. Reviews are sort of rhetorical opinions so the response can be negative or positive. It makes for good discussion. Asking why he goes to shows is trivial, not an attack. Tough reviews can get tough responses.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 5, 2022 00:40

Why does Dean Goodman go to shows ?

Because he's the eternal optimist.

Love Deans reviews even when he's ultra critical / cynical, i believe him to be an honest passionate fan and perhaps emotional in his love or disappointment of a show, even if i disagree with his views as i often do i respect his right to have those views.

Best of all the man makes me laugh. Keep on going to shows and keep the reviews coming Dean.thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 5, 2022 00:52

Big Al
I disagree. I find Dean's reviews to be refreshingly honest, sober and contemplative. He gives a fair and balanced assessment. His reviews read like a journalist's piece, and not that of a 'fanboy' They're excellent. Keep it up, Dean!

Agree with you Big Al. I post on a few fan sites & the emperors new clothes play a big part.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 5, 2022 01:11

Palace Revolution 2000
Who is Dean Goodman? Was he the Vjay on MTV? The guy who ruined Live Aid for me?

You're thinking of Mark Goodman, the "bro" of the original five MTV V-J's.

I'm trying to think of how he could have "ruined" Live-Aid, other than just being the proto-typical Jock who liked Rock that he always was.

Mark was the only person on TV who grasped the historic significance of Ozzy's reunion with Black Sabbath that day.

I myself never really "got" Black Sabbath and wasn't into them, but I understood that for a lot of folks it was a really big deal.

As for Dean Goodman, I didn't read his review until I read this post. I thought it was a great report.

Right On...and Write On, Mr. G.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 5, 2022 01:51

I like his reviews. I’d like to describe his narrative tone as “unflattering” rather than “negative” — a good antidote to some of the other good-intentional but sometimes too fanboy-ish type of reviews.

Wish I could write like he does — hard task for this non-native English speaker, unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-06 01:38 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 5, 2022 02:02

Met Dean in Paris .... the guy can talk ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 5, 2022 03:34

I enjoy his reviews because Dean's a professional writer, not just an enthusiastic fan posting. As a journalist and critic who is a lifelong Stones fan, sure he comes off as a curmudgeon some of the time, but he's an entertaining curmudgeon. If one simply wants reviews that say "The Stones at (nearly) 80 surrounded by session men they would have shunned at the peak of their abilities are better now than ever before" or "I'm so proud of my band, I wish they would find more ways to take my money," there are still plenty of those reviews after every gig, too. Good on B.V. for letting a counterpoint appear amidst the reviews.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home