Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why does START ME UP sound SO SLUGGISH?
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: June 3, 2022 04:36

Yes I would be absolutely delighted if they played it like they do in this video from Sweet summer sun!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 3, 2022 04:55

treaclefingers
Maybe when he kicked on the starter he didn't actually give it all he got?

I can't compete with that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 3, 2022 04:59

Made me think of Brand New Car which lyrically speaking is the dorky little cousin of Start Me Up with it's various innuendos:

Jack her up baby, go on, open the hood
I want to check if her oil smells good
Mmmm...smells like caviar

&

Slinky like a panther
You can hear her purr
Touch her on the seat
Go on, feel the fur...

But obviously the tune is lyrically far inferior to Start Me Up which reads like true classical poetry in comparison.
Musically, Brand New Car isn't very good either, and when you add the vocals/lyrics...Start Me Up for the win easily.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 3, 2022 05:11

Justin
treaclefingers

I can't compete with that.

That's what she said.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 3, 2022 05:27

I think it sounds sluggish and slow because, live, it’s too FULL. On record you really only hear one guitar, bass, drums, hand claps and Jagger. It’s open, it breathes. On stage it’s just TOO instrumented. Too much going on. Bogs down.

Rod

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 3, 2022 06:51

Having listened via YouTube, it is a bit slow. Sluggish? 1994 was sluggish.

Perhaps most interesting is Mick leaving holes.

Ronnie though. Come on. He's been playing the solo for this song since 1989 and... it's seemingly gotten worse with every tour since. Madrid was soup.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 3, 2022 08:40

bitusa2012
I think it sounds sluggish and slow because, live, it’s too FULL. On record you really only hear one guitar, bass, drums, hand claps and Jagger. It’s open, it breathes. On stage it’s just TOO instrumented. Too much going on. Bogs down.

Agree with this.

It's a bit of the same, then again: not the same, with Miss You. It's not the amount of instruments with Miss You, but it's that on the live versions, they are firing on all cylinders as if it was a rock-song. But the studio version is much more gentle and subtle. Which is why the studio version is far superior. Tho' I don't mind any song of decent 1978 concert, not even Lies, which I know plenty of people here dislike.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 3, 2022 10:05

It is NOT about the tempo. The original is slow too. This one from Havana is super slow but still groovy like hell.

It's the absence of Charlie unfortunately...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-03 10:06 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: June 3, 2022 10:18

GasLightStreet

Ronnie though. Come on. He's been playing the solo for this song since 1989 and... it's seemingly gotten worse with every tour since. Madrid was soup.

Could he ever play that solo? Except for on the studio album. TD is the same, although sometimes he really nails it, it's extremely weird that a solo played thousands of times never can live up to his high standards

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: June 3, 2022 10:19

IMO Start me up has not been great since 89/90. Terrible 94-98. Bad 2017-.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 3, 2022 10:25

Stoneage
Start Me Up has never been good on stage.

I challenge that.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 3, 2022 10:38

tiffanyblu
IMO Start me up has not been great since 89/90. Terrible 94-98. Bad 2017-.

This. Exactly my opinion, too.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 3, 2022 11:10

Yes, a little problem. In 89 it sounded great. Ronnie's solos had a great impact. Nowadays he butchers the solos every time (also on TD). Why?

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 3, 2022 11:13

treaclefingers

Exactly. And that’s why he can’t compete with the riders in the other heats.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 3, 2022 11:21

RobertJohnson
Yes, a little problem. In 89 it sounded great. Ronnie's solos had a great impact. Nowadays he butchers the solos every time (also on TD). Why?

I'd reckon he must be even more tired of that song than (some of) us are. We only have to stand there and listen while he actually have to PLAY it.

If there will be a next world tour, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd just eat his banana instead of playing anything at ALL during the "solo part" of Start Me Up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-03 11:24 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 3, 2022 12:26

I really like Jordan's drumming style..but on SMU is irritating: no groove and really boring.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-03 12:46 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: June 3, 2022 14:43

Charlie's groove was much better for sure. But I think it's better Steve goes for his own style instead of trying mimic what Charlie did. The groove he builds up towards the end of the song is pretty good.

SMU has been a weak part of the setlist for a while now and it's probably time to retire it. Mick's vocals on it are worse than ever in 2021/22 and not even Charlie could save it when Mick sounded like this:

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 3, 2022 14:48

yeababyyea
Charlie's groove was much better for sure. But I think it's better Steve goes for his own style instead of trying mimic what Charlie did. The groove he builds up towards the end of the song is pretty good.

SMU has been a weak part of the setlist for a while now and it's probably time to retire it. Mick's vocals on it are worse than ever in 2021/22 and not even Charlie could save it when Mick sounded like this:

To be fair, Mick was horse during that concert. At the encores he was barely singing, more like speaking. Happens to the best singers.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: June 3, 2022 15:00

StonedRambler
To be fair, Mick was horse during that concert. At the encores he was barely singing, more like speaking. Happens to the best singers.

Yea he must have been, but to be honest he sounded pretty bad some nights in 2021 as well, not as obvious as in London 2018. But still off key, totally lacking power etc.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: June 4, 2022 00:16

These guys are nearly 80, the answer is simple as that.

Date: June 4, 2022 00:52

Meh. Sluggish or not, I always look forward to Ronnie's solo. Always fun. And also that classic "I'll take you places you've never seeeeeeee-EEEENnnnnn" from Mick.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 4, 2022 01:04

Justin
Meh. Sluggish or not, I always look forward to Ronnie's solo. Always fun. And also that classic "I'll take you places you've never seeeeeeee-EEEENnnnnn" from Mick.

I used to look forward to Ronnies solo too, not so much the last couple of years.

I wonder why they didn't ever attempt to play/sing SMU anything remotely like the record, it's that Jagger studio voice again that doesn't exist live on certain songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-04 01:06 by keefriffhards.

Date: June 4, 2022 01:15

keefriffhards
Justin

I used to look forward to Ronnies solo too, not so much the last couple of years.

I wonder why they didn't ever attempt to play/sing SMU anything remotely like the record, it's that Jagger studio voice again that doesn't exist live on certain songs.

I know what you mean about Ronnie's solo, lately at its worse it can be just noisy. You can't blame him for not trying something new each time out. My lifetime goal is to make a super cut of every single Ronnie SMU solo in one cut. I think it'd be fun. The other night was a good solo, tasteful.

To your second point: it'd really be impossible as many posts above have already elaborated. The original is such this frankenstein of in the moment jams and overdubs that it's really impossible to recreate it, especially for the Stones. They hate details like that. The original is full of nuance, details and little pockets of cool moments that happened accidentally as they built the track, stone by stone. They don't have the interest to recreate any of that.

Date: June 4, 2022 07:53

tiffanyblu
GasLightStreet

Could he ever play that solo? Except for on the studio album. TD is the same, although sometimes he really nails it, it's extremely weird that a solo played thousands of times never can live up to his high standards

There is not a solo on the studio version of Start Me Up. What is on FLASHPOINT is stellar. ATLANTIC CITY is the eptiome. From most of 1989-90 when the solo was put in, he was on.

Since then... hacksaw job.

Date: June 4, 2022 08:00

StonedRambler
yeababyyea

Mick was horse? I know the single cover was a horse hoof but come on. Spelling matters!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 4, 2022 10:39

maybe he just ate a hoarse meat pie .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 4, 2022 12:20

Justin
keefriffhards
Justin

I know what you mean about Ronnie's solo, lately at its worse it can be just noisy. You can't blame him for not trying something new each time out. My lifetime goal is to make a super cut of every single Ronnie SMU solo in one cut. I think it'd be fun. The other night was a good solo, tasteful.

To your second point: it'd really be impossible as many posts above have already elaborated. The original is such this frankenstein of in the moment jams and overdubs that it's really impossible to recreate it, especially for the Stones. They hate details like that. The original is full of nuance, details and little pockets of cool moments that happened accidentally as they built the track, stone by stone. They don't have the interest to recreate any of that.

Agree. Ronnie's solos became a noise. God knows why, he can still play, his Chuck Berry tribute was excellent, both rhythm AND solo throughout.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home