Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 26 of 27
Re: Madrid Spain 01-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 3, 2022 23:54

keefriffhards
For the first time Mick actually showed his age, did anyone else see that heavy breathing between songs, what a relief, he is human after all bless him.
Tell you what, Mick out of breath is still magnificent, i actually think he was faking the heavy breathing.
That man can't get old, he really can't because if Mick gets old we lose our dreams.
Love you Mick, keep on Rocking, sorry I've enjoyed watching all the videos over a few too many drinks.smileys with beer

He kinda did the same last year a few times. Plus, there's that running gag in the middle of "Midnight Rambler" when he sits down and wipes his brow, much to Keith's amusement.

It is a gag but rooted in some truth. If anything he's revealing to us that this can be hard work at his age. Almost like a playful "see what you guys are putting me through here?" But obviously he loves it.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 4, 2022 00:22

Justin
keefriffhards
For the first time Mick actually showed his age, did anyone else see that heavy breathing between songs, what a relief, he is human after all bless him.
Tell you what, Mick out of breath is still magnificent, i actually think he was faking the heavy breathing.
That man can't get old, he really can't because if Mick gets old we lose our dreams.
Love you Mick, keep on Rocking, sorry I've enjoyed watching all the videos over a few too many drinks.smileys with beer

He kinda did the same last year a few times. Plus, there's that running gag in the middle of "Midnight Rambler" when he sits down and wipes his brow, much to Keith's amusement.

It is a gag but rooted in some truth. If anything he's revealing to us that this can be hard work at his age. Almost like a playful "see what you guys are putting me through here?" But obviously he loves it.

Yeah i think you're right, Mick has obviously got in the right shape to be able to do this, he did admit in a recent interview that sometimes he gets carried away on the first few songs with excitement and uses up a little to much energy that he regrets later in the show .

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: June 4, 2022 00:33

Justin

Yes, the exaggerated heavy breathing and tongue-out expressions are put on. He's letting us know he's working hard, but he gets right back to it after the gag.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 4, 2022 02:12

Out Of Time was so good. Great stuff. The crowd seemed to really get into it.

Date: June 4, 2022 02:21

I hadn't watched any recent versions of Beast Of Burden. Mick seems to really enjoy the give and take vocals with Bernard there at the end.

Date: June 4, 2022 02:29

I thought Sad Sad Sad was outstanding. Very tight and energetic.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 4, 2022 06:01

keefriffhards
RaiseTheKnife
Nikkei
StonedRambler
Nikkei
Nikkei
"Slip away, pal" is obviously an instant classic [www.youtube.com]

and just as cool right after that when they come in late for the bridge Keith exclaims "Bastards!"
Keith's set is the new spot for cleaning the stage grinning smiley

They'd figured he was mike-bound. Very wrong. I know that working with these things is strictly prohibited within 15 feet of people. Especially in this situation the confetti could have been blown into peoples eyes with tremendous force. Brooms always worked fine.

To me Keith comes across as a deranged old man who barely can play anymore but still finds the need to reprimand his crew members. But each to their own I guess.

I hope to God if I'm alive at age 78 i become a demented old man like Keith selling out Stadiums playing high-octain Rock for 2 hour 15 minutes without a break.

We've heard it all before since 81' Keith's brain is fried, he can't hear, he's had a stroke, he can't play and sing at the same time blah blah blah, no he's actually very switched on for his age and playing and singing as good as he was 20 years ago .

I disagree. Whilst his general performance is better than during the latter stages of the A Bigger Bang Tour, he’s certainly nowhere near as good as he was in 2002-03. Watch Four Flicks, or listen to Live Licks.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 4, 2022 13:11

After hearing El Mocambo, it is very hard to listen to this stuff. Yes , I know they are approaching 80 years old and can't be expected to sound great like that anymore.And i know if you see them live you get the thrill of seeing them and it sounds better. But why do the guitars sound so weak and unmelodic.Maybe it still sounds great live and you cannot judge them from youtube videos. Ihave to see them again when they come to New York.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-04 13:14 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 4, 2022 14:25

So they DID play Miss you. I had to check. Not even youtube cares...Why not The last time, Mother´s little helper and It´s all over now instead? Ten minutes are ten minutes. cool smiley

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 4, 2022 14:51

Bjorn
So they DID play Miss you. I had to check. Not even youtube cares...Why not The last time, Mother´s little helper and It´s all over now instead? Ten minutes are ten minutes. cool smiley

Because Keith needs a break after his set.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 4, 2022 14:51

Taylor1
After hearing El Mocambo, it is very hard to listen to this stuff. Yes , I know they are approaching 80 years old and can't be expected to sound great like that anymore.And i know if you see them live you get the thrill of seeing them and it sounds better. But why do the guitars sound so weak and unmelodic.Maybe it still sounds great live and you cannot judge them from youtube videos. Ihave to see them again when they come to New York.

Although I'm looking forward to catching them at Hyde Park, I do concur with your view. With the plethora of officially-released live material that we're getting, from a time when they had all their faculties in place, it is hard to then watch these clips and not sigh, somewhat. Just how good they were, way back when. Even the 90's performances are, largely, exceptional: Brixton 1995, Bremen '98, San Jose '99; they were 'on' night-after-night. Time has caught up with them, and that's fine; it was inevitable. Go and see them in the flesh, certainly, but I'm not sure I'd necessarily wish to revisit it afterwards. In my opinion, some of those performances from last year would be borderline impossible to release due to some less-than-competent performances.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 4, 2022 15:43

z
Bjorn

Haha, you actually have a point there mate.winking smiley

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 4, 2022 16:13

keefriffhards
z
Bjorn

Haha, you actually have a point there mate.winking smiley

Miss You isn't always there after Keith's set for no reason, Riffy, it's his chance to get some rest. Sometimes he's not even on stage for the first one or two minutes of the song, and when he joins he doesn't have a very obligating role in it. It's his ten minutes break.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 4, 2022 16:15

Hairball
Justin
KingmanBarstow
During “Slipping Away” there are two guys with leaf blowers onstage. WTF.

I used to have a neighbour that would be out on Sunday mornings at 8:00 AM with his leaf blower.

I should have done a Keith and said to him - “Slip Away pal!”

Great show tonight.

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

They got off easy - Keith could have given them a whack to the head with his guitar, and maybe Ronnie could have joined in the beating also.smiling smiley

..a Spinal Tap moment!

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 4, 2022 16:37

I bet a t-shirt with "slip away, pal" would sell well. Will make my own for the shows I will be attending...;-)

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 4, 2022 16:38

But all in all - feels good to be a Stones fan these days. It´s good any day.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 4, 2022 19:37

Big Al
Taylor1

Although I'm looking forward to catching them at Hyde Park, I do concur with your view. With the plethora of officially-released live material that we're getting, from a time when they had all their faculties in place, it is hard to then watch these clips and not sigh, somewhat. Just how good they were, way back when. Even the 90's performances are, largely, exceptional: Brixton 1995, Bremen '98, San Jose '99; they were 'on' night-after-night. Time has caught up with them, and that's fine; it was inevitable. Go and see them in the flesh, certainly, but I'm not sure I'd necessarily wish to revisit it afterwards. In my opinion, some of those performances from last year would be borderline impossible to release due to some less-than-competent performances.
Great comment. But they have given so much great music to the world, Ishouldn't complain. Seeing them in person toda is still incredible. Ijust wish the guitar playing sounded better

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 4, 2022 22:16

Big Al
Taylor1

You will have a fun time at Hyde Park Big Al as I did at the two L.A. shows last year, but I had that exact feeling afterwards..."not sure I'd necessarily wish to revisit it"...
Never felt that way about the Stones out of all the times I've seen them going back to 1981 (though the *Vegas '16 show was definitely a low point), but all good things gradually come to an end I suppose.
That said, if they ever do come back to my neck of the woods, I'd no doubt scramble to get some Lucky Dips, and then relive the 60+ years of nostalgia hoping for the best but not expecting too much at this point.

Have a good time. thumbs up

----------------------------
*edit: typo correction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-05 02:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: elagpa ()
Date: June 5, 2022 00:04

ProfessorWolf

And there was a strange moment at the start of Satisfaction. Keith and Ron were not ready with their guitars and already the famous notes of the song could be heard? Seemed like some sort of backing tape was playing? I was wondering of other attenders of the show noticed this?

just no

I was at the show and noticed this too, some kind of backing tape of the studio guitar riff with the original bass line but in a low volume... noticeable because Keith didn't play the intro on time

Date: June 5, 2022 04:30

elagpa
ProfessorWolf

And there was a strange moment at the start of Satisfaction. Keith and Ron were not ready with their guitars and already the famous notes of the song could be heard? Seemed like some sort of backing tape was playing? I was wondering of other attenders of the show noticed this?

just no

I was at the show and noticed this too, some kind of backing tape of the studio guitar riff with the original bass line but in a low volume... noticeable because Keith didn't play the intro on time

Was it heard through the main speakers or only on stage?

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: June 5, 2022 05:53

I was further back heard nothing strange.

Maybe it came from their monitors?

Date: June 5, 2022 08:25

Justin
elagpa
ProfessorWolf

just no

Was it heard through the main speakers or only on stage?

Let's close the loop on this:

From the moment the intro starts, Keith's hands are most definitely on the guitar and absolutely playing--focus your eyes on the screens where the cameras are on Keith totally. His back may be turned but you can see his hands moving in complete time with the sound of the riff.

Case closed on this idea that there was a "backing tape." The Stones have never done this and wouldn't be on stage if it needed to get to that point to have one.

With that said, it's no wonder why anyone thought there was a tape because what you do hear is that Keith and Darryl absolutely nail the intro and it sounds exactly like the classic sound in the single. As Darryl rushes in with the bass riff under Keith---it's damn near perfect. But after a few seconds the buzzy guitar goes away and Keith's guitar is audible in full volume but it's completely clean and exactly the way we've heard it for years. Nothing like the first few seconds with that scratchy fuzz box sound.

There appears to be a small commotion right before Keith's guitar goes back to its usual sound. Mick makes a gesture, you can see Keith and Steve smile--then we hear the guitar come through cleary. Did Pierre turn on a fuzz box by accident or as a joke?

[www.youtube.com]

UPDATE

Clear as day here:

[www.youtube.com]

The first few seconds of Keith and Darryl starting the riff of sounds amazingly like the original record (it sounds very close to the tone he achieved in 94/95 when he played the tune on a Les Paul). You follow Keith's hands and you see he is definitely playing it but suddenly as if someone flipped a switch on an effects pedal--the distorted fuzz box guitar suddenly stops and Keith's guitar returns to its normal tone. What in the world?? You can see Pierre rushing to the back of the amp and that's when the tone "corrects" itself. But...

How do we get that fuzzy guitar sound back?? It sounds pretty cool!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-05 08:46 by Justin.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 5, 2022 08:35

Sounds like Pierre hit the wrong fuzz pedal for a second?
Wish he’d left with this sound!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-05 08:36 by Paddy.

Date: June 5, 2022 08:42

Paddy
Sounds like Pierre hit the wrong fuzz pedal for a second?
Wish he’d left with this sound!

It absolutely does! And with Steve playing the drum part so true to the record I've never heard the tune sound this close to the record before. I think it's awesome.

Obvious now it was a mistake on Pierre's part but wow--kind of a shame we'll never hear it that way...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-05 08:43 by Justin.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: June 5, 2022 15:23

It sounds way better!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 5, 2022 16:23

I have just posted my Madrid memories on Stoneslife.org:

The Rolling Stones in Madrid Spain 2022

Bjornulf

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: June 5, 2022 21:44

What is the soul song at the end of the pre-show playlist?
I feel like I should know, but don't...
Thank you

Madrid Spain 01-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 7, 2022 18:24

An hour with Mick Jagger at the Reina Sofía

Ángeles González-Sinde, the president of the museum’s Royal Board of Trustees, recounts the Rolling Stones star’s visit one day before his concert in the Spanish capital

Mick Jagger posed on Tuesday in front of Picasso's 'Guernica' at the Reina Sofía Museum in Madrid, in an image released by the singer on Twitter

Ángeles González-Sinde
Madrid - Jun 06, 2022

[english.elpais.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-07 19:59 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 7, 2022 18:32

It would be nice to hear soundboards to truly appreciate what's going down.....

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: June 7, 2022 19:54

Another Rolling Stones's Madrid review by Dirty Rock Magazine

[www.dirtyrock.info]

Carlitos
Tenerife

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 26 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home