Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Airport problems in Europe this summer
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 30, 2022 12:06

I think it's a good advice to turn up early at some airports this summer. Many are probably using Manchester Airport for the Liverpool show. That airport seems to be in total chaos at the moment, with long ques and waiting lines causing many delays and cancelled flights. The airport manager director resigned a few weeks ago and problems are expected to get worse during this month of June. Schipol Amsterdam, Arlanda Stockholm also having severe problems. I've rebooked some of my flights on this tour to more convinent departure times. If you plan to arrive on show day, you might want to reconsider.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-31 17:29 by bv.

Re: Airport problems in Euorpe this summer
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 30, 2022 12:24

Rule #1: never fly day of show.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 30, 2022 13:24

Topi

In Stockholm I have to. Plus it is Ryan Air. Plus I have LD. Now that's gonna be quite a thrill.

Date: May 30, 2022 13:45

What could go wrong?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 30, 2022 13:46

Arriving into Stockholm Arlanda airport isn't the problem. Departing from there is.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 30, 2022 13:51

SAS canceled 5% of all their flights this summer recently, due to staff shortage. Security control at some airports is suffering from the same problem, staffing issues. Then there are other issues, like disputes, staff going slow and so on.

I try not to travel on show day. This summer it would be even more risky, just keep in mind the fact that your flight might be canceled, then is that a problem, that is the question.

KLM temporarily halts ticket sales for Amsterdam flights due to airport chaos (Reuters May 26, 2022)

Will airport chaos continue into the summer? Top tips from industry insiders (Euronews May 29, 2022)

The bad news is that the chaos seen in airports across Europe in recent months looks like it is set to continue.

Airlines are working hard to reshuffle their teams to have enough staff on-hand but as passenger numbers increase over the summer, the problem may get worse. And they say it is mainly to do with staff shortages at the airports where they operate.

Bjornulf

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: May 30, 2022 13:57

erikjjf
Arriving into Stockholm Arlanda airport isn't the problem. Departing from there is.

Departing as in “return flight” or departing to the hotel / city Center? And why is this a problem?

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: May 30, 2022 14:20

Ugh...just when I was thinking of flying to Liverpool cuz they get Echo and the Bunnymen (likely the only opener I'll like this run)...

A warning about Paris, on Saturday the RERs were on strike the day of the football league final expressly to create chaos; it's very possible they may go on strike the day the Stones play Paris Hippodrome Longchamp making it hell to get to the show from the airport and from the suburbs!

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: May 30, 2022 14:32

Little offtopic maybe, but how can this all of a sudden be such a problem at more than one airports simultaniously?

Date: May 30, 2022 14:39

ribbelchips
Little offtopic maybe, but how can this all of a sudden be such a problem at more than one airports simultaniously?

Industry-wide workforce shortage.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 30, 2022 14:51

Topi

I have done so for 15 years, never a problem and i will do the same this summer.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 30, 2022 15:08

The current UK chaos is being blamed on school holidays, just as the previous chaos a few weeks ago was blamed on Easter holidays. Hopefully things will stabilize by the time we get there.

Schiphol is supposed to be one of the best airports in the world, so its issues are definitely ominous.

Date: May 30, 2022 15:29

jackflash27
erikjjf

Departing as in “return flight” or departing to the hotel / city Center? And why is this a problem?

Flying out from Arlanda airport. Be prepared to spend a long time getting through security.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 30, 2022 15:53

Two-thirds of European airports expect flight delays and cancellations to continue this summer

[www.independent.co.uk]

Delays inevitable at majority of Europe's airports this summer, top industry body warns

[www.euronews.com]

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: May 30, 2022 16:45

Manchester Terminal 1 is a mess but the revamped Terminal 2 is OK. Train travel the way forward this summer I think

Date: May 31, 2022 13:29

erikjjf
jackflash27
erikjjf

Flying out from Arlanda airport. Be prepared to spend a long time getting through security.

I should clarify that the big bottleneck is Terminal 5, which handles the majority of the flights.
Terminal 2, which serves Air France, KLM, Iberia and a few other airlines, has a more normal situation.
I’m flying Iberia to Madrid today, and passing through security went very smoothly.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: May 31, 2022 13:42

erikjjf
erikjjf
jackflash27
erikjjf

I should clarify that the big bottleneck is Terminal 5, which handles the majority of the flights.
Terminal 2, which serves Air France, KLM, Iberia and a few other airlines, has a more normal situation.
I’m flying Iberia to Madrid today, and passing through security went very smoothly.

I fly with Ryanair, which is located at T5. But if it's on the return flight, it's not a big issue. When you say ' a long time' you mean an hour or so? Or more?

Date: May 31, 2022 14:05

It depends a bit on the time of day. There are several ”peaks” during the day, for example when there are several simultaneous departures to the US, Thailand, etc. But it wouldn’t hurt to give yourself an extra hour, unless you have access to the Fast Track lane.

Posted by: Matt1984 ()
Date: May 31, 2022 14:10

Airport chaos is in the UK is also never as bad as what the media makes it out to be.

Re: Airport problems in Europe this summer
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 31, 2022 19:20

Don’t forget the impending train strikes in the UK.As yet no dates announced but they are coming and are designed to cause maximum disruption.Supposed to be happening summer time.
For those visiting from other countries welcome to the land of doom and gloom and joke politics.Just waiting for Johnson to start the funny walk and turn on the full Monty Python show on

P

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: May 31, 2022 19:37

Topi

I do this each venue winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 31, 2022 22:20

Many of the headlines in the news in the US the last few days have been all about chaos at the airports including traffic in and out, flight delays, and flight cancellations.
It was a very busy Memorial Day weekend here with many people traveling, and that's been amplified by a shortage of staff, traffic control problems, and other issues.
Not only flights within the country being affected, but international flights to and from as well. It's become a quagmire, and with summer just beginning, not sure when it will get any better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-31 22:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: June 1, 2022 00:07

FrogSugar
A warning about Paris, on Saturday the RERs were on strike the day of the football league final expressly to create chaos; it's very possible they may go on strike the day the Stones play Paris Hippodrome Longchamp making it hell to get to the show from the airport and from the suburbs!

New strike next friday for the RER : the day of France - Denmark at Stade de France.

[www.lemonde.fr]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 1, 2022 00:25

FrogSugar
Ugh...just when I was thinking of flying to Liverpool cuz they get Echo and the Bunnymen (likely the only opener I'll like this run)...

The RER were on strike the day of the 14OF show at the Stade de France. So everyone squashed onto the Metro instead, which luckily weren't on strike.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: June 1, 2022 11:34

I always get to my destination one - two days before show and stay three nights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-01 11:35 by babyblue.

Date: June 16, 2022 14:52

An update regarding Stockholm Arlanda airport.
Terminal 4 re-opened yesterday. If you have a flight departing from Terminal 5, you can now go through security in Terminal 4 and connect to Terminal 5 ”air side”.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 16, 2022 15:17

grzegorz67
FrogSugar

The RER were on strike the day of the 14OF show at the Stade de France. So everyone squashed onto the Metro instead, which luckily weren't on strike.

That happened at the Champions League final this year as well. The union called the strike a succsess because of the chaos it contributed to. This is a quote from a tweet from journalist Miguel Delaney on Twitter a few weeks ago:

"From AFP: Paris transport unions called Tuesday for a new strike to coincide with a French international football match, hailing the "success" of their action at the weekend that contributed to the chaos that marred the Champions League final between Liverpool and Real Madrid."

I won't be surprised if they try to target the Longchamp show with 100,000 people attending. And if RER is on strike, that normally affects Charle de Gaulle airport as well. Just be prepared.

Date: June 16, 2022 15:28

I gotta say I had absolutely no problems flying out of Schiphol on Tuesday. In fact, while I had the priority lane to security, my friend who didn't have the priority lane was through security quicker! grinning smiley (In about 2 minutes)

The only gripe I had with Schiphol was that the Aspire Lounge which I would have had access to closed it doors at 4 PM due to staff shortage.

Let's see what Heathrow brings...flying there a week from now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-16 16:15 by Topi.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: June 16, 2022 16:12

Any problems known at Milan Linate?

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: June 16, 2022 19:02

No problems for me flying out of Schiphol on Tuesday.
Everything was fine!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home