Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Q. What are The Blues when we're Talkin' Stones?
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 23, 2022 19:09

I've been listening to several Rolling Stones interviews lately and talkin' Blues with friends.

I ask, what exactly are the Blues when it comes to the Rolling Stones?

Keith talked about Country Blues in an interview. Somebody said, "Sweet Virginia" isn't the Blues.

The Complete History of the Rolling Stones called "Around and Around" Blues.

Mick Jagger said "2000 Light Years From Home" Started as a Blues song. Is there a Blues "2000 Light Years" early take?

Is 12-bar blues the only Blues? Surely "Hip Shake" is Blues, right?

Any comments are welcome.

Re: Q. What are The Blues when we're Talkin' Stones?
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 23, 2022 19:38

I would suggest putting on the Stones most recent studio album (either on your turntable or CD player) of Blue & Lonesome as a good starting point in answering that question...cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-23 20:21 by Sighunt.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 24, 2022 00:45

Good question. "The Blues when we're talkin' Stones"? Well, first and foremost, I think about this whenever this topic comes up:

The Blues when we're talkin' Stones.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: May 24, 2022 01:16

Would "Sweet Virginia" be country music, then?

I would call "Hip Shake" blues. Robert Johnson's "They're Red Hot" I would also call a blues song though it's on the edge of the definition of a blues song, who on the planet would argue that Johnson was not one of the defining musicians of the genre?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-24 01:20 by jahisnotdead.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 24, 2022 08:52

I'm a lonesome schoolboy..

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 24, 2022 08:59

It used to be that the Stones would take a blues song and put on their special filter. It would come out sounding just as good as the original, but different. Not quite as ragged, but still retaining the life of the song. Think 'Little Red Rooster'. Uptown, as opposed to country.

On Blue and Lonesome they hew closer to the originals, without losing anything. This is understandable. There's no Brian, no Bill, no Mick Taylor. We didn't get a lot of Ronnie on blues until that album. He has a really good take. I think he saved the album, that and Mick's harp playing.

Date: May 24, 2022 09:34

Country blues:

Good Times, Bad Times
Prodigal Son
Love In Vain
You Got The Silver

Chicago Blues:

Look What You've Done
Confessing The Blues
Spider And The Fly

Original blues songs with a twist:

Break The Spell
Down In The Hole
Melody
Parachute Woman

These are only a few examples.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 24, 2022 10:21

'Satisfaction is basically a blues. it's just a diff'rent form of it'
see: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: May 24, 2022 10:22

Black limousine

Date: May 24, 2022 10:42

Back of My Hand

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 24, 2022 10:53

Still rivets me spine .... nobody but thee Stones .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: May 24, 2022 19:23

To me, Blues is a feelin' - a sentiment. And I believe it is for the Stones as well. A feeling that implies truth, danger, sex, sadness, desire, anger, honesty. Grit. Eternity.

Date: May 24, 2022 19:32

24FPS
It used to be that the Stones would take a blues song and put on their special filter. It would come out sounding just as good as the original, but different. Not quite as ragged, but still retaining the life of the song. Think 'Little Red Rooster'. Uptown, as opposed to country.

On Blue and Lonesome they hew closer to the originals, without losing anything. This is understandable. There's no Brian, no Bill, no Mick Taylor. We didn't get a lot of Ronnie on blues until that album. He has a really good take. I think he saved the album, that and Mick's harp playing.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 24, 2022 19:56

24FPS

What I loved about the Stones, just like you alluded to above, is how they would take others compositions, particularly blues tunes, and make it their own. In particular, I love their interpretations of Chicago Blues.

Thinking back, my two particular favorite blues tunes (one of which Rockman mentions above): I Can't Be Satisfied and the often bootlegged, Tell Me Baby (How Many Times?). Great stuff!

What is crazy for me to think about is the fact that the Stones were a young group when they recorded all these great blues tunes and they sounded like they mastered the genre already!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-24 20:02 by Sighunt.

Date: May 24, 2022 21:32

That is very personal. The Rolling Stones are a Rock Band to me, with all kind of different influences. But when it comes to the blues: To me it was Mick Taylor. His lines and feeling represent melancholy, making me feel more blue when I'm in that particular mood. No other Rolling Stone triggers that feeling more than Taylor does, again, to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-24 21:44 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: May 24, 2022 21:54

TheflyingDutchman
That is very personal. The Rolling Stones are a Rock Band to me, with all kind of different influences. But when it comes to the blues: To me it was Mick Taylor. His lines and feeling represent melancholy, making me feel more blue when I'm in that particular mood. No other Rolling Stone triggers that feeling more than Taylor does, again, to me.

smileys with beer,

Date: May 24, 2022 22:07

many years ago German newspaper FAZ wrote that one of Jagger's major achievements was to discover that blues hasn't to be sad

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 24, 2022 23:51

The Sun is Shining. [youtu.be].

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: May 26, 2022 00:01

Rockman

Shiver me stones ... Me thinks ya have it..

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 26, 2022 00:12

She's got a fancy man on the side!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 26, 2022 03:12

Rockman

Where is me Memo From Turner from Mick? He would really mow them down. "It was at the Coke convention in 1966..." Hmmmmm...that guitar down below ob YouTube sounds suspiciously like Steve Winwood.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-26 03:16 by triceratops.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1965
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home