Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Taylor on 'Tops'.
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 22, 2022 08:15

I just received a SHM-CD of Tattoo You. (The one recommended here). I listened to Tops. I was never all that impressed with Mick Taylor in the studio, although I thought he smashed everyone else live. But the songs Tops is criminally overlooked I think it's the Zenith of his studio work with the Stones. It's other worldly good.

Re: Mick Taylor on 'Tops'.
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 22, 2022 10:59

There was i all these years wondering who played that beautiful guitar on Tops. It should have been obvious.
Thank you for pointing out Mick Taylor is playing.
Isn't Tops the most underrated under played Stones track of all time, an obvious single that would have gone top of the charts after SMU, Mick Jagged never sang better in my opinion, it's a track i go back to so many times over the years, i can never quite capture it and Charlie's slightly delayed drumming is genius, the song is so uplifting, it seduces you just like the lyric promises to lure the subject of the song.
Perhaps there was a bit of band politics involved in this track.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 22, 2022 11:23

It’s amazing to me how the general public is aware of every song by the Beatles and act as though their absolute shit is gold when the Stones are thought of as having 20 or 30 good songs.
Compare this to “ She’s leaving Home” from Sgt Pepper, a laughable overly sentimental snoozer.
Tops is just a next level beautiful song, at least somebody gets it.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: May 22, 2022 11:29

Tops is one of the most underrated Stones songs of all time.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: May 22, 2022 11:29

here is the original version from 1972 with a longer outro ...
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: May 22, 2022 11:40

[www.youtube.com]

Tops (live in Boulder, CO, USA, 3 October 1981)

The Rolling Stones - Tops, Live 1981 Philadelphia 2

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 22, 2022 12:14

it's me and my mom's favorite song off ty

they really should have given this more of a chance on stage over the years

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 22, 2022 12:31

24FPS
I just received a SHM-CD of Tattoo You. (The one recommended here). I listened to Tops. I was never all that impressed with Mick Taylor in the studio, although I thought he smashed everyone else live. But the songs Tops is criminally overlooked I think it's the Zenith of his studio work with the Stones. It's other worldly good.
I’m pretty impressed by his studio work from Honkey Tonk Women to Plundered My Soul.Great guitar on every track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-22 12:46 by Taylor1.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 22, 2022 20:22

ProfessorWolf

Really? The live versions are pretty awful imo and I can't remember too many occasions where the Stones gave certain songs "another try" that initially did not work in concert.

The studio version is one of my favourites, too.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 22, 2022 20:43

lem motlow
It’s amazing to me how the general public is aware of every song by the Beatles and act as though their absolute shit is gold when the Stones are thought of as having 20 or 30 good songs.
Compare this to “ She’s leaving Home” from Sgt Pepper, a laughable overly sentimental snoozer.

Fully agree. the Beatles are ridiculously overrated and have way more turds in their catalogue than most bands but somehow get a free pass. I can name more songs that I loathe by the Beatles than ones I actually like.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: May 22, 2022 21:02

AntoineParis
[www.youtube.com]

Tops (live in Boulder, CO, USA, 3 October 1981)

The Rolling Stones - Tops, Live 1981 Philadelphia 2

[www.youtube.com]

I attended the Boulder show. Boulder sits at the base of the Rocky Mountains a little N.W. of Denver, Co. and as a result is sometimes subject to some pretty hefty winds as was the case that day which unfortunately resulted in a really lousy sound. Also 40 years ago, the sound systems were nothing like they are today. I remember Tops starting up but, not expecting it and due to the poor sound, it took me a minute or so to figure out what song it was. It's a song that belongs in the studio or a small club. And of course by this time, it was Ronnie and not Mick T on guitar. George Thorogood was one of the openers ( I think Heart was the other) and his guitar was about the only instrument that managed to cut through the wind that day. - "One soda, one scotch and one beer"smiling smiley

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: May 22, 2022 21:41

TOPS: the most MATURE sounding Stones ever!!

Priest

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 22, 2022 21:46

I love "Tops" and Mick Taylor's work on it.

But I can't see how it launches a "Beatles vs. Stones" argument.

"Tops" isn't obscure because the Beatles catalog took all the wind out of the room. More likely the reason is because of the abundance of riches on Tattoo You, where it competed with "Start Me Up" "Waiting On A Friend" "Worried About You" etc. for the attention of Stones fans.

I love "No Use In Crying" too. But I don't blame the public's lack of awareness of it on Led Zeppelin.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: May 22, 2022 21:51

I adore Tops. It’s one of my favorite Stones songs. The live versions are much grittier than the studio one, but that rougher sound gives the lyrics a different feel entirely.

Thanks for that detail, northof49.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 22, 2022 21:59

Dig into the Stones prolific catalog, and there are many underrated gems.
Did into the Beatles limited catalog, and there are many overrated turds.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: May 22, 2022 22:20

Nothing (almost) tops "Tops"!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2022 23:18

another desperate bid to spread negativity ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 23, 2022 00:12

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf

Really? The live versions are pretty awful imo and I can't remember too many occasions where the Stones gave certain songs "another try" that initially did not work in concert.

yes i agree the live versions where terrible all the more reason that they work on it more until it's not

i really think this could have turned into a pretty good stage version if they really worked at it

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 23, 2022 00:22

They could have brought it back last year during the US mini-tour to coincide with the Tattoo You deluxe, but instead chose the lackluster Troubles a Comin' cover which didn't last long at all in the setlist.
Was hoping that Worried About You or Waiting on a Friend would have made a return,but alas not to be. Maybe Tops will make a return for the upcoming tour, or maybe something else from side two Tattoo You - hope so.

Date: May 23, 2022 00:34

WorriedAboutYou
lem motlow

Fully agree. the Beatles are ridiculously overrated and have way more turds in their catalogue than most bands but somehow get a free pass. I can name more songs that I loathe by the Beatles than ones I actually like.

Begs for the question who's actually the wrong-way driver here...!

Date: May 23, 2022 00:41

ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf

yes i agree the live versions where terrible all the more reason that they work on it more until it's not

i really think this could have turned into a pretty good stage version if they really worked at it

The song's arrangement does not allow any Stones sloppiness, that's for sure! However, if they had tried it again from 1989 onwards it might have lead to some better results. But somehow I have the feeling that it's one of those songs that weren't made for giant stages...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-23 01:50 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 23, 2022 02:31

BFR
I adore Tops. It’s one of my favorite Stones songs. The live versions are much grittier than the studio one, but that rougher sound gives the lyrics a different feel entirely.

Thanks for that detail, northof49.

this

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 23, 2022 04:15

thomashanck
here is the original version from 1972 with a longer outro ...
[www.youtube.com]

Mick didn't go too far from the original vocal and lyrics when he finished it in 1980 and 1981.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 23, 2022 04:18

I think the Separately song from those sessionswould have worked well on GHS

Date: May 23, 2022 04:42

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf

The song's arrangement does not allow any Stones sloppiness, that's for sure! However, if they had tried it again from 1989 onwards it might have lead to some better results. But somehow I have the feeling that it's one of those songs that weren't made for giant stages...

good point

but it would have fit nicely in of the small venue shows for stripped

or as a regular during the licks tour for theatre shows

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 23, 2022 09:29

lem motlow

Imagine still being stuck in the 1960s

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: May 23, 2022 11:04

Tops is easily one of the most overlooked en underestimated Stones tracks. Tops - Worried About You would have made a fantastic single.

Date: May 23, 2022 11:06

Apart from the Stones, who is overlooking or underestimating it?

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: May 23, 2022 13:12

Stones fans and musicfans in general. When I see those 'the best 50 Rolling Stones tracks by our readers' lists, Tops rarely makes it.

And when people on fora mention 'hidden Stones gems' they usually come up with songs like Winter, Let is Loose, Faraway Eyes or Down in the Hole.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 23, 2022 19:09

DandelionPowderman
Apart from the Stones, who is overlooking or underestimating it?

EDIT
Yeah sorry DP just the Stones themselves, i misread your post eye rolling smiley, it should have been a single, its a more unique track than Waiting On A Friend with it's corny country feel ( not to say i don't love WOAF )

The problem with it Live is Mick kind of creates these incredible vocals in the Studio, like Let It Loose, he just can't recreate that vocal magic live, whereas with WOAF it came across really well live when Mick sang it and Keith played, not to mention Ronnie cant play the guitar parts like Taylor did on Tops so it just didn't get played live ( ok twice ) because it didn't work.

So as i say a bit of band politics possibly in play concerning Tops with Taylor on it and why it wasn't a single when you consider album filler like Hang Fire was.( again love Hang Fire live ) winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-24 10:01 by keefriffhards.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home