Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick Jagger: ‘I miss Charlie Watts as a player and a friend’
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 22, 2022 23:49

angee
Nice to have it confirmed that they are getting along well...supports what we've seen of late on the stage. cool smiley

yeah that's great to see

hopefully this new mellowness between keith and mick will result in a rebirth of there songwriting patnership

which i think would be necessary for that "great" stones album mick wants

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 23, 2022 04:15

ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
bv
This is the SIXTY year. Next year will be the new studio album year. They can not both tour and work for months in the studio. If they compact the SIXTY tour, so that they do not have to add one month of rehearsals every time they do 14 shows, then may be there will be a time slot of 1-2 months next year, where they will get studio time available.

Keep in mind what the Times reporter is saying:

... "these men are of nursing home age — Jagger and Richards will be 79 this year, and Wood hits 75 in June ...

They simply need time to relax, rest, and also time for family, wives, children, grandchildren. it is not that complicated. You do not work 24/7/365 at their age.
Nursing home is not 79, more like 89

my mom was a geriatric nurse for decades

and 79 is not an uncommon age for a resident at a nursing home

then again the lady down the road lived by herself for 30 years after her husband died

did her own gardening, shopping and cooked her own meals

and she kept doing this until a couple weeks before her death at 102

which happened after her daughter (who was in her 80's) convinced her to mother to move into her nursing home with her

and after she was removed from her home and her routine was broken she started going down hill really fast and died a short time after moving

of these two examples i think the stones may resemble the latter more then the former

or at least mick does
Here in New York the majority of79 year olds are not in nursing homes.Mist are still working and are certainly ambulatory.Like Biden

Date: May 23, 2022 04:48

Taylor1
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
bv
This is the SIXTY year. Next year will be the new studio album year. They can not both tour and work for months in the studio. If they compact the SIXTY tour, so that they do not have to add one month of rehearsals every time they do 14 shows, then may be there will be a time slot of 1-2 months next year, where they will get studio time available.

Keep in mind what the Times reporter is saying:

... "these men are of nursing home age — Jagger and Richards will be 79 this year, and Wood hits 75 in June ...

They simply need time to relax, rest, and also time for family, wives, children, grandchildren. it is not that complicated. You do not work 24/7/365 at their age.
Nursing home is not 79, more like 89

my mom was a geriatric nurse for decades

and 79 is not an uncommon age for a resident at a nursing home

then again the lady down the road lived by herself for 30 years after her husband died

did her own gardening, shopping and cooked her own meals

and she kept doing this until a couple weeks before her death at 102

which happened after her daughter (who was in her 80's) convinced her to mother to move into her nursing home with her

and after she was removed from her home and her routine was broken she started going down hill really fast and died a short time after moving

of these two examples i think the stones may resemble the latter more then the former

or at least mick does
Here in New York the majority of79 year olds are not in nursing homes.Mist are still working and are certainly ambulatory.Like Biden

that's a good point too

people are living longer and living better then they used to

either that or boomers are just built to lastwinking smiley

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 23, 2022 10:59

Taylor1
keefriffhards
It will happen next year i believe, and the new album is going to blow your minds, it's going to be their masterpiece, their swan song, so it's got to be right and that takes patience winking smiley
What do you base that on? Interestingly, it’s always Keith and never Mick who talks about the imminent release of a new album.Given that they have put out one album of new material , A Bigger Bang , in a quarter of a century they havenot been anything but a live oldies band for nearly a quarter of a century .That’s fine with me. Their catalogue is the best. I’d rather they not tarnish their legacy with subpar albums like a Bigger Bang

Well i certainly don't base my optimism on hard facts winking smiley

Just a feeling drawn from the fact that since it will be 18 years since their last Studio album of originals it's got to be good, they must have so many demos by now, so many ideas, plus they could go back and finish tracks that didn't get finished on other albums.

At the end of the day this is probably going to be their last album, the album they leave the world with , i would imagine they are going to make it a great one, i still think they have greatness in them, Keith's 2015 album Crosseyed Heart proved that, that would have been a fantastic Stones album with Mick singing on it, up their with Tattoo You.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 23, 2022 13:09

so bad that he got pulled over by the cops and had to call home and couldn't work the phone and the cop had to do it for him

hEY THATS A CLASSIC .....
PLEEEZE sAY HI TO YA DAD FROM ME pROFESSOR

ROCKMAN

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: May 23, 2022 14:17

thanks for the read, btw, I miss Charlie also.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 23, 2022 17:02

Pleased to read them paying tribute to Charlie. I still think about him when I hear the music and I know I am going to miss him when I see them again for the first time with Steve in a couple of weeks.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 23, 2022 17:50

I'm sure I'll always miss Charlie.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 23, 2022 18:05

treaclefingers
daspyknows
Great read but I chuckle at the wait til next year. Time to close the 2022 thread and start a 2023 thread.

I wonder when they 'say it' year in and year out, whether they actually believe it themselves, or are thinking they're just "throwing us a frickin' bone"?

I just think it would be interesting to know whether they ACTUALLY believe it or are just having the piss with us.

"Next year" is one of the most common phrases in our language. Adding "It should be coming", well, I wouldn`t be surprised if that has been said before. Then we are left with a perdy inaccurate comment.

Date: May 23, 2022 21:51

Rockman
so bad that he got pulled over by the cops and had to call home and couldn't work the phone and the cop had to do it for him

hEY THATS A CLASSIC .....
PLEEEZE sAY HI TO YA DAD FROM ME pROFESSOR

will do rockman though not by phonewinking smiley

it's funny he can strip down his lawn mower engine every week it seems and rebuild it

but he can't operate a comparitbly simple smartphone

Date: May 23, 2022 22:58

Awwwww thats fine he'll soon get the hang of it
and then he'll be dialin' up folks all hours of the night ....

Tell him an Aussie hoon said hello ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 23, 2022 23:02

Rockman
Awwwww thats fine he'll soon get the hang of it
and then he'll be dialin' up folks all hours of the night ....

Tell him an Aussie hoon said hello ...

will do

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 24, 2022 08:54

There will never be another 'great' Stones album of original material. There hasn't been 'great' new material since Bill retired. Blue and Lonesome was really good, because they weren't expected to sound like the Stones. The bass wasn't all that important. But it is very important when you want to sound like the Stones. Maybe there could be a few interesting cuts. A Bigger Band had two or three, but only Rough Justice was exciting.

Do you expect them to have gotten better in the studio since 2005, seventeen years ago? Charlie and Darryl never did gel. Poor Keith could barely play on Blue and Lonesome. I think Mick sounds better with other artists now. I miss Charlie too. Just as I miss Bill. It was a great run. Listen to El Mocambo for the greatness of old.

Date: May 24, 2022 12:40

24FPS
There will never be another 'great' Stones album of original material. There hasn't been 'great' new material since Bill retired. Blue and Lonesome was really good, because they weren't expected to sound like the Stones. The bass wasn't all that important. But it is very important when you want to sound like the Stones. Maybe there could be a few interesting cuts. A Bigger Band had two or three, but only Rough Justice was exciting.

Do you expect them to have gotten better in the studio since 2005, seventeen years ago? Charlie and Darryl never did gel. Poor Keith could barely play on Blue and Lonesome. I think Mick sounds better with other artists now. I miss Charlie too. Just as I miss Bill. It was a great run. Listen to El Mocambo for the greatness of old.
I think A Bigger Bang is their worst album.Dull , uninspired music.The songs are crap.There is no magic.But I think Bridges is a great album.I like it better than EmotionalRescue, Dirty Work and Undercover.But that was 25 years ago.I don’t think Mick has had the incentive to write with Keith for decades.The albums are just solo music thrown together on albums. Mick is not interested in rehashed music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-24 13:24 by Taylor1.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 24, 2022 21:14

One more album would be amazing! But its not like we don't have enough to listen to if it doesn't happen.

Date: May 24, 2022 22:58

Hey no ... the World needs a new Stones album ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 25, 2022 02:33

Rockman

yes it does!grinning smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 25, 2022 05:54

ProfessorWolf
Rockman

yes it does!grinning smiley

As in "We are the world"...!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 25, 2022 06:26

Sort of weird when you consider that at 60 years measuring 100% of their career, the last time there was an album of strictly new material was at about 71.5% of their career.

That was over 28% ago!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 25, 2022 16:19

That smile of Charlie always gets to me! I am mainly thinking of every show when he's introduced, gets that huge applause in obvious appreciation, and then that great big smile!

Date: May 25, 2022 22:51

treaclefingers
Sort of weird when you consider that at 60 years measuring 100% of their career, the last time there was an album of strictly new material was at about 71.5% of their career.

That was over 28% ago!
The first 36years they had like,what,24 albums of new material, and the last 24years one new album

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2022 02:36

Taylor1
treaclefingers

That was over 28% ago!
The first 36years they had like,what,24 albums of new material, and the last 24years one new album

Disappointing when you break it down like that, and then consider the current setlists where 90% of the tunes are over four decades old.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 26, 2022 06:08

Hairball
Taylor1
treaclefingers

That was over 28% ago!

Disappointing when you break it down like that, and then consider the current setlists where 90% of the tunes are over four decades old.

Not disappointed! This is a band which formed in 1962, and are still performing in 2022. They have amassed the greatest catalog in Rock'n'Roll. Along the way they have had legal issues, personal issues and serious health issues, and musical differences, They lost their drummer, founding member BJ, long time sax player Bobby Keyes, Stu, and immediate family members. They are nearing 80. While some find it ok to whine with a sense of entitlement, real fans are happy to give them the respect they deserve.

Date: May 26, 2022 07:47

MKjan
Hairball
Taylor1
treaclefingers

That was over 28% ago!

Not disappointed! This is a band which formed in 1962, and are still performing in 2022. They have amassed the greatest catalog in Rock'n'Roll. Along the way they have had legal issues, personal issues and serious health issues, and musical differences, They lost their drummer, founding member BJ, long time sax player Bobby Keyes, Stu, and immediate family members. They are nearing 80. While some find it ok to whine with a sense of entitlement, real fans are happy to give them the respect they deserve.

Well I'm not disappointed for sure. They held it together performing at an exceptionally high level, as A-listers now heading into their 80s.

A lot of big artists made it into their 80s, but not as top draws.

I was only pointing out that in the last 30& of their career there has been virtually no new original music as a band.

You can argue that they've done a lot of side projects in the interim, which is true...I guess that's how they've had at least some creative outlet.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2022 08:21

I think it must be disappointing for them as a band to have been unable to release much original music in the past 30 years. In nearly every interview, they talk about a new album, and it sounds like that's their intentions.
They've led their fans to believe a new album is imminent, but for whatever reason, they just can't seem to get it done - must be frustrating and disappointing for them. And it must be frustrating to be playing all the oldies, more so for them than the fans who want to hear something new. They've said so themselves in the past - not wanting to live off past glories, and not wanting to be a greatest hits act, etc., but the reality is that's exactly what they've become- a touring nostalgia band.

"If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits" - Mick, 2005.

"The last tour, you might say, was basically resting on your laurels. It was like celebrating your wonderful career, your great success and all that... After that, we needed to prove ourselves again.
I don't think we would be talking about the new tour if it was pure regurgitation". - Keith, 2005

[timeisonourside.com]

But considering they're now all nearing 80, or as bv pointed out what the Times reporter said: "these men are of nursing home age", it's a miracle they're still able to do what they do.
Hopefully they continue to keep on rolling no matter how limited they've become, and I'm still of the belief they'll eventually be able to finish the mythical new album they've been talking about all these years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-26 08:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 26, 2022 23:35

treaclefingers
MKjan
Hairball
Taylor1
treaclefingers

That was over 28% ago!

Well I'm not disappointed for sure. They held it together performing at an exceptionally high level, as A-listers now heading into their 80s.

A lot of big artists made it into their 80s, but not as top draws.

I was only pointing out that in the last 30& of their career there has been virtually no new original music as a band.

You can argue that they've done a lot of side projects in the interim, which is true...I guess that's how they've had at least some creative outlet.

You're good Treaclefingers, numbers are interesting to me, a part of the big picture, the big picture
that needs to be considered. I was responding to another.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 27, 2022 04:24

Taylor1
24FPS

I think A Bigger Bang is their worst album.Dull , uninspired music.The songs are crap.There is no magic.But I think Bridges is a great album.I like it better than EmotionalRescue, Dirty Work and Undercover.But that was 25 years ago.I don’t think Mick has had the incentive to write with Keith for decades.The albums are just solo music thrown together on albums. Mick is not interested in rehashed music.

No, no. ABB will never be their worst album as long as they still print new copies of Undercover and Dirty Work. I thought Bridges was adventurous in its time. Unfortunately it now sounds very dated. I judge an album by how often I listen to it. I never listen to Undercover, rarely Dirty Work, and never the post Wyman albums. (Except for Blue and Lonesome.) And they rarely if ever play any songs from them. Maybe You Got Me Rocking, and that's it.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 27, 2022 10:24

For there to be another view present: To me the absolute slump in their career consists of the studio albums DIRTY WORK, STEEL WHEELS and VOODOO LOUNGE. On the other hand, I consider BRIDGES TO BABYLON as both semi-great and quite adventurous, not dated. A BIGGER BANG I also hold as semi-great, but a little too "safe" at times. However, talking about great albums really, their latest and probably last to me is UNDERCOVER, concluding that remarkable sequence of great studio albums SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER.

Added: I don't abstain from listening to any Stones or Stones-related albums, with one exception, METAMORPHOSIS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-27 10:31 by Witness.

Date: May 29, 2022 07:02

Witness
For there to be another view present: To me the absolute slump in their career consists of the studio albums DIRTY WORK, STEEL WHEELS and VOODOO LOUNGE. On the other hand, I consider BRIDGES TO BABYLON as both semi-great and quite adventurous, not dated. A BIGGER BANG I also hold as semi-great, but a little too "safe" at times. However, talking about great albums really, their latest and probably last to me is UNDERCOVER, concluding that remarkable sequence of great studio albums SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER.

Added: I don't abstain from listening to any Stones or Stones-related albums, with one exception, METAMORPHOSIS.

Metamorphosis is better than it has a right to be, with some very standout cuts.

I've always considered Some Girls, ER, Tattoo You and Undercover were a "BIG 4" part deux.

Steel Wheels I disagree with you on, it was like a second 'comeback', a bit like Some Girls was but after that the albums were ok but uneven.

While I didn't like Bridges as a whole it had some great cuts, Out of Control, Saint of Me, Thief and even ABSMB...but stuff like Already over me and Always Suffering...I mean I hate the titles even before listening to them, and when I do listen to them, I can't tell them apart. Flip The Switch just sounds rote.

Date: May 29, 2022 08:48

Lurv Flip Da Switch ..... garage style ....

chuck it in wiv dose other garageeee fings ....

Pain Of Love ... Let Me Go ... Scarlet ... Hold on Ta Ya Cat ..... you know the ones

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home