Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mick Jagger: ‘I miss Charlie Watts as a player and a friend’
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 22, 2022 01:12

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Mick Jagger: ‘I miss Charlie Watts as a player and a friend’

The Rolling Stones talk about Harry Styles, Brexit — and why rock’n’roll wasn’t designed to be done in your seventies

Dan Cairns

Saturday May 21 2022

Mick Jagger is sitting on a sofa wearing a pale grey fleece and talking about Charlie Watts. The drummer first played with the Rolling Stones in early 1963, after they had tried six months with a different man. Watts was at every gig they played until he died last August, aged 80. One month later the band were back on stage in the US, in St Louis, and the set list hit the same beats as it did the last time Watts played. Rock through Start Me Up, roll into Paint It Black, end with (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction. Except Watts was not there. And Jagger missed him.

“I don’t really expect him to be there any more if I turn round during a show,” Jagger says. “But I do think about him. Not only during rehearsals or on stage, but in other ways too. I would have phoned him up and talked about last night’s Arsenal game because he supported Tottenham and I’m Arsenal. I miss him as a player and as a friend. In the show, when we come to the front and bow at the end, there’s no Charlie. He’d always be the last one down. I’d go: ‘Come on, what have you got to do?’ He’d be fiddling with his sticks because he always had to have them in a row before he’d get off the seat.”

I catch Jagger, with Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood, on a break from rehearsals for their latest set of live shows. It is the Sixty Tour, which marks six decades since the band formed, and opens next month in Madrid, with a British run starting in Liverpool on June 9 and concluding with two dates at Hyde Park in London. There are 14 dates in total — a reduction from their previous tour, which started in 2017 and was wrapped up in 2021 because of the pandemic and had 58 dates.

The homecoming tour was headline news before Watts died — the Stones have the fourth highest-grossing tour in history and these men are of nursing home age — Jagger and Richards will be 79 this year, and Wood hits 75 in June.

The trio have endured serious health complications: Wood has had two stints of cancer; Jagger had heart valve replacement surgery in 2019, but was back on stage three months later — he now travels with a cardiologist; Richards, off drugs and drinking only sparingly, had cranial surgery in 2006 after falling from a tree.

Watts, though, was the first one to go. He died following as yet unknown complications after heart surgery. After Watts’s 58 years behind the kit, the surviving Stones enlisted their regular collaborator Steve Jordan, 65, to take his place. It was a similar situation in 1969 when, weeks after sacking the original Rolling Stone Brian Jones and two days after the multi-instrumentalist’s death aged 27, the band performed at a free concert in Hyde Park.

For the Stones the show always goes on, but they have mellowed with age. After two lengthy periods of estrangement between Jagger and Richards there is harmony. They first fell out in the Eighties, when Jagger was devoting much of his time to his solo career. They sparred again after the publication in 2010 of Richards’s autobiography, Life, in which he wrote sneeringly of the singer’s “tiny todger”.

So what’s changed? “Getting more mature,” Jagger says, before realising that’s a rum thing to say about septuagenarians. “I’m not joking. It’s true, and it’s taken a long time. We’re in a very immature business. I’m under no illusions about that. But it doesn’t mean that you have to be immature.”

Wood, with his Mr Punch-like features, concurs. “We’ve matured among ourselves. The attitudes within the band are no longer throwaway. It used to be all ‘Oh, crawl back under your rock’. I had many years of ‘Shut up, you’re the new boy’, that kind of feeling, but now every tour has a changed demeanour. Mick’s been through so many different moods and images in his life, and he’s come back to this really warm person. Keith too.”

Richards joins the love-in. “I’m amazed by how tight we all are. Mick and I are still firmly at the reins.” A beat. “We still don’t know what the reins do, though.”

Of course this tour is happening when anyone from the living (Abba) to the dead (Michael Jackson) can be replaced on stage by a hologram. Surely the Stones are aware of questions being raised about the spectacle — and indeed appropriateness — of rock musicians continuing to strut their stuff into very old age?

“Rock’n’roll, or any kind of pop music honestly, isn’t supposed to be done when you’re in your seventies,” Jagger says. “It wasn’t designed for that. Doing anything high-energy at this age is really pushing it. But that makes it even more challenging. So it’s, like, ‘OK, we’ve got to f***ing do this right,’ but it’s got to be as full-on as possible. Of course you could do another type of music — we’ve got lots of ballads. I could sit on a chair.”

Wait, the man known as Snake Hips reborn as a Val Doonican tribute act?

“I don’t see it quite as Val Doonican,” Jagger says with a laugh. “I remember something about a cardigan? I mean, Perry Como used to sit on a stool.”

Still, they look after themselves, when in tour mode at least. Their 1975 American tour was fuelled by cocaine, Richards wrote in his memoir, but now it is more about health than hedonism.

For Jagger, whose partner is a ballerina, that means “six weeks of practice even before rehearsals start. And I do dancing, gym, every day of the week. I don’t enjoy it very much, but it has to be done.”

Even Richards’s pre-gig ritual is more sedate than it used to be. “I may or may not have a stiff drink, but usually I don’t. You know, you grow out of everything. I’ve spent all my life giving up things, so that’s about it now.”

Wood likes a green juice “and after all my battles in recent years with the big C, I try to keep moving, keep my joints warmed up — stretches and stuff.”

Would they ever do an Abba and have a hologram tour? “What’s the point of that?” Richards says with a growl. “I’m dying to leave home for a few days. I’d never leave the house otherwise.”

Touring means navigating a minefield of post-Covid hurdles and extra politically related paperwork. Yup, here comes the B-word. “There are a lot of supply-chain problems,” Jagger says. “A lot of shortages, a lot of problems because of Brexit. Brexit has not been a success for the British touring industry. I’m not saying, ‘Well, we’ve got to rejoin the EU.’ Unfortunately that’s all in the past. But from personal experience and talking to friends who are in other businesses, it’s not a success, it’s a nightmare. We’ve isolated ourselves, and that sounds good to some, but it’s an ideology more than a practicality.”
Jagger has long had a reputation for being business-obsessed and a chameleon — Richards once described him as unknowable. Today, reinforcing Wood’s remarks about everyone getting on, he is chatty and catty, never more so than when he describes a recent pre-tour anxiety dream. It’s a delicious echo of Phil Cornwell’s pitch-perfect impression on the satirical comedy Stella Street.

“I had one dream about travelling and the plane was trying to fly indoors, for some reason, in this large cavernous space. Like, flying the plane into the stadium. And I’m going: ‘The wings are going to touch.’”

The business stuff is, he contends, “so overdone. I’m not the slightest bit interested in business per se. I only had to get interested because everybody tries to con you.”

And the accusation of being a chameleon? “I read an obituary in The Times about this guy who used to work for me called Peter Swales.” Swales, who died this month, was an early assistant to the Stones. “And he had said about me, ‘Sometimes he was a rock star; other times a drugged-out hippie; another time a fast-talking businessman; another day my big brother.’ I hope they weren’t consecutive days. That’s a chameleon!”

He considers the idea that he inspired Harry Styles, who channels Jagger’s early-Seventies look. “I like Harry — we have an easy relationship,” Jagger says. “I mean, I used to wear a lot more eye make-up than him. Come on, I was much more androgynous. And he doesn’t have a voice like mine or move on stage like me; he just has a superficial resemblance to my younger self, which is fine — he can’t help that.”

Richards, meanwhile, appears to have had the 21st century pass him by. “I don’t do [streaming] myself because I don’t have a phone,” he says. “Me? I’ve got a problem with high-tech. There are too many damn options. When I get a menu, if there are more than five dishes I’m already overwhelmed.”

A new album is in the works, Richards says. “We already had some stuff cut with Charlie. It should be coming next year.”

Can we expect a Seventy tour in 2032? Imagine: the three of them in a row on high stools, wearing cardigans; some cocoa on the rider. You wouldn’t bet against it. Long may they roll.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Re: Mick Jagger: ‘I miss Charlie Watts as a player and a friend’
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2022 01:24

Mick’s been through so many different moods and images in his life, and he’s come back to this really warm person. Keith too.”

A new album is in the works, Richards says. “We already had some stuff cut with Charlie. It should be coming next year.”

luverly read ..... fanks Cristiano

ROCKMAN

Date: May 22, 2022 01:32

Great Interview, thank you Cristiano

Stones4Ever!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 22, 2022 01:45

wow

cool read thanks

lot to take in

Date: May 22, 2022 01:52

just guessing

but maybe they plan some kind of release for the new album coinciding with the anniversary of when charlie joined the band

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 22, 2022 02:13

Great read. Thanks, Cristiano.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: May 22, 2022 02:23

Thanks for posting! was about to subscribe to the times to read this because my paywall blocker wasn't working....and then I remembered I know a place tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 22, 2022 02:35

Thanks Cristiano. thumbs up

Confirms there will be no new album this year.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 22, 2022 04:32

Thanks Cristiano, that was indeed a great read.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 22, 2022 04:47

Great read but I chuckle at the wait til next year. Time to close the 2022 thread and start a 2023 thread.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 22, 2022 05:30

Rockman
Mick’s been through so many different moods and images in his life, and he’s come back to this really warm person. Keith too.”

luverly read ..... fanks Cristiano

You’re right! Both of them maybe because time is running out on everything

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 22, 2022 05:52

New album "should be" next year.

Uh huh.

They won't give it up. Just another roll at nothing.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 22, 2022 07:31

Nice. Thanks

Rod

Date: May 22, 2022 08:30

daspyknows
Great read but I chuckle at the wait til next year. Time to close the 2022 thread and start a 2023 thread.

I wonder when they 'say it' year in and year out, whether they actually believe it themselves, or are thinking they're just "throwing us a frickin' bone"?

I just think it would be interesting to know whether they ACTUALLY believe it or are just having the piss with us.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2022 09:03

....it'll happen treacle .... relax

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 22, 2022 11:11

It will happen next year i believe, and the new album is going to blow your minds, it's going to be their masterpiece, their swan song, so it's got to be right and that takes patience winking smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 22, 2022 12:45

keefriffhards
It will happen next year i believe, and the new album is going to blow your minds, it's going to be their masterpiece, their swan song, so it's got to be right and that takes patience winking smiley
What do you base that on? Interestingly, it’s always Keith and never Mick who talks about the imminent release of a new album.Given that they have put out one album of new material , A Bigger Bang , in a quarter of a century they havenot been anything but a live oldies band for nearly a quarter of a century .That’s fine with me. Their catalogue is the best. I’d rather they not tarnish their legacy with subpar albums like a Bigger Bang

Date: May 22, 2022 14:12

My take on the “new album next year” is that it’s due to them being busy with another tour in the fall. That would be a great reason for the delay.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 22, 2022 14:12

Great interview. I paid £1 for the six months Times subscription, well worth the money. The actual article do also include a few photos, not from the rehearsals, but still interesting.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 22, 2022 14:20

This is the SIXTY year. Next year will be the new studio album year. They can not both tour and work for months in the studio. If they compact the SIXTY tour, so that they do not have to add one month of rehearsals every time they do 14 shows, then may be there will be a time slot of 1-2 months next year, where they will get studio time available.

Keep in mind what the Times reporter is saying:

... "these men are of nursing home age — Jagger and Richards will be 79 this year, and Wood hits 75 in June ...

They simply need time to relax, rest, and also time for family, wives, children, grandchildren. it is not that complicated. You do not work 24/7/365 at their age.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: May 22, 2022 15:03

Compacting the 60 tour means playing more shows this year?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 22, 2022 15:05

Thanks for posting Cristiano.

Another great read you found for us all. smileys with beer

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 22, 2022 15:20

bv
This is the SIXTY year. Next year will be the new studio album year. They can not both tour and work for months in the studio. If they compact the SIXTY tour, so that they do not have to add one month of rehearsals every time they do 14 shows, then may be there will be a time slot of 1-2 months next year, where they will get studio time available.

... "these men are of nursing home age — Jagger and Richards will be 79 this year, and Wood hits 75 in June ...

They simply need time to relax, rest, and also time for family, wives, children, grandchildren. it is not that complicated. You do not work 24/7/365 at their age.
Nursing home is not 79, more like 89

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 22, 2022 16:42

Best interview for a long time and really know the feeling of coping with 'high tech', by Keith and probably Charlie as well.

Drives me round the bend when the laptop or the phone just will not do what you want it to do. confused smiley

I'm pretty sure our Boys are really looking forward to The Tour, and they still love playing to a live audience.

Bring it on, the European Tour. smileys with beer

Date: May 22, 2022 18:13

ProfessorWolf
just guessing

but maybe they plan some kind of release for the new album coinciding with the anniversary of when charlie joined the band

Not unlikely, imo.

Date: May 22, 2022 18:35

Rockman
....it'll happen treacle .... relax

That IS me relaxed! You don't wanna wind me up Rockster!

OK, I'm gonna go take my blood pressure now.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 22, 2022 22:33

Nice to have it confirmed that they are getting along well...supports what we've seen of late on the stage. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-22 22:33 by angee.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 22, 2022 22:54

Rockman

Have noticed that too. Good to see especially these days.

Date: May 22, 2022 23:37

Taylor1
bv

Nursing home is not 79, more like 89

my mom was a geriatric nurse for decades

and 79 is not an uncommon age for a resident at a nursing home

then again the lady down the road lived by herself for 30 years after her husband died

did her own gardening, shopping and cooked her own meals

and she kept doing this until a couple weeks before her death at 102

which happened after her daughter (who was in her 80's) convinced her to mother to move into her nursing home with her

and after she was removed from her home and her routine was broken she started going down hill really fast and died a short time after moving

of these two examples i think the stones may resemble the latter more then the former

or at least mick does

Date: May 22, 2022 23:43

crawdaddy
Best interview for a long time and really know the feeling of coping with 'high tech', by Keith and probably Charlie as well.

Drives me round the bend when the laptop or the phone just will not do what you want it to do. confused smiley

I'm pretty sure our Boys are really looking forward to The Tour, and they still love playing to a live audience.

Bring it on, the European Tour. smileys with beer

my dad's 63

i got him a smartphone and he can not operated it

it's so bad that he got pulled over by the cops and had to call home and couldn't work the phone and the cop had to do it for him

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home