Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Are their "best" albums the ones you listen to most?
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 24, 2022 14:34

Sticky Fingers
Goat’s Head Soup
A Bigger Bang
Let it Bleed
Tattoo You
Black and Blue
Ya Yas and now
El Mocambo

They’re my, or will be in the case of the latter, go to albums by The Stones.

Then
Exile
Beggar’s
Undercover
Love you Live
Out of our Heads
Aftermath

Rod

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 24, 2022 15:22

Me listening to the Stones is totally free of logic. It could be any album at any time (off course other artists in between just to stay sane grinning smiley).
Sometimes I look at the rack to see all those Stones CDs and I say "let's forget about the Stones" - silly joke off course.

I have those days that I get taken away by one particular song and then listen to it over and over again. Currently it's Crackin' Up from Love You Live (not the El Mocambo version = same song off course, but slightly differently (instrument balance wise) registered/edited. I like the LYL recording just a bit more than the EM one.

Current album: Out Of Our Heads (US one).
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 24, 2022 15:37

Exile probably wins for me as the most listened to. Then probably Some Girls (my first - and played endlessly at the time), followed by the remaining of the "big 4", Beggars, LIB, Sticky.

Sometimes I'll think ... wow, I haven't listened to ___ in a while, usually after some posts referencing it on here, and then put that in the queue. Now thinking about it, I need to listen to the early 60s albums!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 24, 2022 16:47

Rockman
.... Love ta lie naked in a
back-alley and listen ta Streets Of Love ....

You should consider listening to Back Street Girl as well.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: May 24, 2022 19:25

Aftermath
Between The Buttons
Goats Head Soup
Tattoo You

Date: May 24, 2022 23:08

ribbelchips
I love Beggar's Banquet, Exile and Let it Bleed, but they're not my most played RS albums.

My top 5:

- Sticky Fingers
- Tattoo You
- Steel Wheels
- The Rolling Stones Now!
- Goat's Head Soup

I want a name like ribbelchips. good name

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 25, 2022 10:27

You should consider listening to Back Street Girl as well.

Listen to !!!! .... ive lived it ....HHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 25, 2022 11:04

I go through stages of Big 4, but I do listen to others maybe even more over last few years. The most listened to would be -

Aftermath
Buttons
Goats Head Soup
Emotional Rescue
Undercover
Steel Wheels

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: May 25, 2022 11:26

I'm 71 within 3 mounths 72 and I do listen almost 1/2 our in a week. Although I buy everything comes new out for my collection. And now I go for the last time to see them in Brussels 11 july Pit side B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-25 15:25 by tioms.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 25, 2022 13:38

I need to admit that I don't listen full albums that much any longer, just individual tracks. Of course, when there is a new album out - be it reissue, bonus album, live album - that will get a constant run. But after their heyday I don't go to them that much. When riding a car I listen CDs, but I don't drive that much most of the year (basically just summer time). I especially like listening live shows in the car, and there are many to choose from (we know the latest addition). I might listen one particular show endlessly, again and again since I am too lazy to shift the records...

At home it is online services I most use. When I listen to the Stones, it is just a feel of the moment to pick up a certain track. I like listening all of their catalogue. Sometimes I like listening different kind of songs one after the other. Like "Tie You Up" is followed by "She Smiled Sweetly" to be followed by "Continental Drift". Sometimes there is certain 'theme' like blues, country, soul, monster riffs, ballads, Brian's or Taylor's strongest contributions, etc. (And sometimes IORR can be an inspiration for my choices). Mostly 'obscurities' I guess if I am listening just by myself. I leave the more familiar songs to the occasion there are more people involved (not want to bother them with, say, "In Another Land".) The usual suspects can also to be heard from radio, television, public places, etc. and that always is a thrill (and enough for me).

If all the choices counted I guess the albums I end up listening most are the Big Four plus GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU. Very rarely put anything from UNDERCOVER on.

At the moment the TATTOO YOU bonus tracks still get a constant listening. To me those songs, especially the ones with new vocals, are like new Stones music to me. As far as I am concerned, they should had made a proper new album from those, a real TATTOO YOU vol. 2 or used them along new tracks for the upcoming new album (in order to get them more deserved public attention). Stuff like "Trouble's A-Comin'", "Slow Walking", "It's A Lie" and "Fiji Jim" is a genuine article to me - offering timeless Stones magic. Don't know what Mick and Keith have been cooking lately, but I don't think they can offer anything that brilliant any longer (I hope to be proven wrong, of course).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-25 13:43 by Doxa.

Date: May 25, 2022 15:49

I forgot to mention the boots. To us here, I believe, many of the boots are considered as valid as official releases.
Of boots I must say that I dig the outtakes more than live shows.
Never listen to live shows post '81. Except for the great '97 B2b tour.

Date: May 25, 2022 16:04

I forgot to mention the boots.

Didn't think of that. My top boots have to be:
- Brussels '73
- Michigan '78 (A Summer Romance w/ Rolling Stones)
- Hampton VA '81
- Trident Demos
- Claudine (2 lp)
- Black & Blue Sessions
- R&B Years (early 60s, BBC, etc.)

Those were my earliest of boots, and I played the hell out of them!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 25, 2022 17:18

the 4 I can listen to always from start to finish are:
Some Girls
Black and Blue
Exile
Blue & Lonesome
The others all have major highlights of course.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 26, 2022 18:43

Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Black & Blue
Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Can listen to these 4 all the way thru, no doubt about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-26 18:45 by RSbestbandever.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 26, 2022 21:32

Who can say what the best albums are ??

It's the best album if you think it is, am i going to play Let It Bleed instead of Voodoo Lounge because the general consensus on iorr tells me its better ?

No you play want you want and who cares whats best.

Date: May 26, 2022 23:43

keefriffhards
Who can say what the best albums are ??

It's the best album if you think it is, am i going to play Let It Bleed instead of Voodoo Lounge because the general consensus on iorr tells me its better ?

No you play want you want and who cares whats best.

Pretty sure that was the point of the post, to see what differences people have - but agree!

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: May 27, 2022 03:57

‘UNDERCOVER’ seems to be the so-called ‘second tier’ entry I happen to listen to most often. Not a big fan of ‘Emotional Rescue’, ‘Tattoo You’, ‘Voodoo Lounge’, ‘Bridges to Babylon’, or ‘Steel Wheels’...although there are bits and pieces from those releases that do have some appeal.

And when I’m in the mood for some ‘old’...or should I say ‘early’...Stones, any of their works from the ‘60s with Brian Jones will fit the bill.

Date: May 27, 2022 22:12

Nothing new to add, I just need to give that first album a bump. No one seems to cherish it.

Hitmakers!

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: May 27, 2022 23:08

Rockman
.... Love ta lie naked in a
back-alley and listen ta Streets Of Love ....

Lovely, a scratching pole for the Feral Cats...

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: May 27, 2022 23:10

I love em all but find myself listening to Emotional Recusce and Goats Heads Soup the most.

Yea its sure been a cold cold winter...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home