Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Charlie's estate
Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 18, 2022 20:58

I think this is the first time I've ever heard of Charlie having a sibling.

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Re: Charlie's estate
Date: May 18, 2022 21:38

It's kind of impressive, in a way. He drummed for one of the world's most well-known bands, yet this is the first I've ever heard of him having siblings, too. Granted he wasn't the frontman like Mick or one of the lead stage presences like Keith, but still...

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 18, 2022 21:46

news to me

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 18, 2022 21:49

TheBadRabbit

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Amazing...but sad at the same time reading the whole story....hits home....life is short....RIP Charlie.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 18, 2022 21:52

The "small" size of his estate was surprising. I would have expected to see 2 to 3 times the size.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 18, 2022 22:08

A lot of his worth including the stud farm will be in Shirley’s name

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 18, 2022 22:32

I believe that’s the first we’ve read that he died from heart surgery complications?

Date: May 18, 2022 22:38

MelBelli
I believe that’s the first we’ve read that he died from heart surgery complications?

i think it was rumoured last year

as long with him contracting covid after the surgery

which might explain keith's comments about him getting hit with the double wammy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-18 22:40 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 18, 2022 22:43

ProfessorWolf
MelBelli

which might explain keith's comments about him getting hit with the double wammy
Keith said it was cancer in the CBS interview this year.

I would take everything the Sun writes with a grain of salt...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-18 22:44 by StonedRambler.

Date: May 18, 2022 23:22

StonedRambler
ProfessorWolf
MelBelli

yep your right my mistake

sorry forgot it was the sun

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: May 18, 2022 23:30

StonedRambler
ProfessorWolf
MelBelli

Keith's "double whammy" statement doubtless is true. But about cancer he clearly said only that Charlie overcame it again a year or so before. He didn't clearly say cancer recurred in 2021.

Leaving us with, as I read the fragments, Keith's "double whammy" possibly having been any of several pairings:

1. cancer in 2020, and cancer in 2021

2. cancer in 2020, and heart trouble in 2021

3. cancer and heart trouble, both in 2021

4. cancer in 2021, compounded by covid either before or after it

5. heart trouble in 2021, compounded by covid either before or after it

If covid was a factor, a very natural reason for not wanting that known is because someone Charlie knew, maybe even a family member, may have infected him, and everyone would want to spare that person more heartache.

Of course we may never know which two things comprised the "double whammy." And that's fine. We don't need to.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: May 18, 2022 23:51

At this point we are evaluating info from the Sun and from Keith.
I am very glad that the Watts family are able to keep it private as it is.
Charlie is too cool for anything else smiling smiley

Date: May 19, 2022 01:01

TheBluesHadaBaby
StonedRambler
ProfessorWolf
MelBelli

Keith's "double whammy" statement doubtless is true. But about cancer he clearly said only that Charlie overcame it again a year or so before. He didn't clearly say cancer recurred in 2021.

Leaving us with, as I read the fragments, Keith's "double whammy" possibly having been any of several pairings:

1. cancer in 2020, and cancer in 2021

2. cancer in 2020, and heart trouble in 2021

3. cancer and heart trouble, both in 2021

4. cancer in 2021, compounded by covid either before or after it

5. heart trouble in 2021, compounded by covid either before or after it

If covid was a factor, a very natural reason for not wanting that known is because someone Charlie knew, maybe even a family member, may have infected him, and everyone would want to spare that person more heartache.

Of course we may never know which two things comprised the "double whammy." And that's fine. We don't need to.

upon further thought

i'm gonna go with cancer then heart whammy because i recall ronnie saying he visited him shortly before he passed

and if it was covid i doubt ronnie would have been allowed

but your right we don't need to know if his family wanted us to it be public knowledge by now

so lets focus on the real revelations here

charlie had a sister?

and i'm also shocked by how small his estate was

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 19, 2022 02:58

daspyknows
The "small" size of his estate was surprising. I would have expected to see 2 to 3 times the size.

Perhaps a sizeable portion was already in Shirley's name? Also, no song writing royalties.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 19, 2022 03:54

DGA35
daspyknows

Perhaps a sizeable portion was already in Shirley's name? Also, no song writing royalties.

That has to be the explanation. Checking out an article on his cars the value of the collection is at least 5 million and more likely 10 million and in all likelihood a similar amount in real estate.

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: May 19, 2022 11:39

I normally wouldn't pay any attention whatsoever to anything that is printed in The Sun.
It does mention his sister on his Wikipedia page though.

Date: May 19, 2022 11:49

Barkerboy2
I normally wouldn't pay any attention whatsoever to anything that is printed in The Sun.
It does mention his sister on his Wikipedia page though.

yeah i saw that too

and it's source is a article from 2021

i've read a lot of books on the stones and interviews with charlie and never recall mention of him having a sister

was this common knowledge and i'm just stupid?

seriously this is like learning keith has a secret sibling

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 19, 2022 12:48

TheBadRabbit

[www.thesun.co.uk]

I never thought Charlie's relatives were a possible topic of interest to Stones fans in general.
In 2007, third O2 Arena concert, I was sitting next to a lady (and her son) who turned out to be Charlie's aunt. We had a brief, but nice conversation, but I never felt like "publishing" it. I still don't, but what I liked was that she told me that Charlie always dropped by her house when on his bycicle heading to the Rolling Stones rehearsals (I'm talking about the 1963 - early 1964 period). The reason he did so was that his aunt always made him a great, tasty sandwich to take along.

cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: May 19, 2022 13:05

My Dad used to be a Financial Advisor, and around the time of the Bridges To Babylon tour, he had a client whose next-door neighbour was apparently Charlie's cousin. When Dad told her about me being a fan, she told her neighbour.

Anyway, next time Dad was round there, she told him that she had mentioned me to Charlie's cousin and that she had called him up. Apparently he was surprised that someone so young was a fan of The Stones (I was about 16/17 at the time) and had sent me three signed photos and a t-shirt (I still have them on display to this day).

So evidently, even throughout his continued fame, he still kept in close contact with his family members. Just another lovely thing to know about our Charlie.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 19, 2022 17:02

Bakerboy, that is a real nice story: Obviously we both are in a similar age - and boy: If Charlie Watts had sent me something in the nineties I would have been over the moon. Congratulations to you, a great memory.

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: May 19, 2022 17:21

it may just be the goods located in england

rolling stones records are in netherlands

Date: May 19, 2022 17:51

windmelody
Bakerboy, that is a real nice story: Obviously we both are in a similar age - and boy: If Charlie Watts had sent me something in the nineties I would have been over the moon. Congratulations to you, a great memory.

It's quite surreal looking back at it!
Thank you by the way - I still treasure each item to this day and always will!

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: May 19, 2022 19:31

georgie48
In 2007, third O2 Arena concert, I was sitting next to a lady (and her son) who turned out to be Charlie's aunt. We had a brief, but nice conversation, but I never felt like "publishing" it. I still don't, but what I liked was that she told me that Charlie always dropped by her house when on his bycicle heading to the Rolling Stones rehearsals (I'm talking about the 1963 - early 1964 period). The reason he did so was that his aunt always made him a great, tasty sandwich to take along.

cool smiley

Since Charlie has never had a driver's license my assumption, I suppose, about him getting around was it was always by public transport or else he rode with others.

An image of him riding his bike to early Stones rehearsals never occurred to me, but I like it. As well as his stopping by an auntie's house on the way for a sandwich-to-go. Such a modest and unassuming approach, on his way to what would turn into global superstardom, does sound like Charlie.

('Course a drum kit had to have already been wherever he was going.)

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-20 04:30 by TheBluesHadaBaby.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 20, 2022 00:05

Quote by Ronnie on the Late Late Show in December of 2021:

"We were two days into rehearsal with Steve Jordan [the Stones new drummer] with Charlie’s blessing and we knew he was in hospital, so we said we’ll play for you and pray for you, so we carried on.

"I saw him a couple of days before he passed," Ronnie added. "He was in my bed. He was in the Royal Marsden Hospital in London in the Ronnie Wood Suite and he said, `I can’t wait to get out of here’ and I said, `well come out, Charlie, in your own good time’.

"At that time, he was doing fine and then he had some extra treatments he didn’t handle well, and he went down from there."

Asked by host Ryan Tubridy if it was strange being on stage without Charlie, Ronnie said, "It is, yeah, but his spirit is there. He loved his girls and his wife. Everyone’s handled it really well and I’m sure he’s with us all the time when we’re playing."

[www.rte.ie]

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 20, 2022 00:40

Keith speaking about Charlie's passing on CBS Sunday Morning (mentions the "double whammy" referenced upthread)

[youtu.be] discussion about Charlie starts at 2:44

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 20, 2022 08:11

Based on my experiences with people getting and having cancer it's no surprise to me if Charlie's cancer came back. Perhaps that's the double whammy regarding it coming back, surgery, and then dying.

Ok. Well, shit. That's that. And that's life.

But to get to something Keith said a long time ago, and I forget the name/model of the automobile and exact quote but something along the line of, who else would buy a "car here" to sit in it and admire the dash that couldn't drive?

It's one thing for anyone to imagine Charlie's simple life, aside from his interests and or idiosyncrasies, etc but he was an exceptional artist and musician. He wasn't a "throw back", he just was him, and The Rolling Stones' history will only ever be about his time and his magnificent playing, with Bill Wyman, especially.

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: May 20, 2022 09:54

The older ones might remember that Charlie (known inter alia as "the quiet Stone") was originally a drummer devoted to jazz.

His 1993 album "Warm and Tender" shows Seraphina on its cover. It is extremely easy to recognize the similarity of Charlie and her.

What I did not know was how wealthy he was - so he could easily spend huge amounts of money on his horse breeding.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 20, 2022 11:19

Yes he has a sister
The rest is none of our business .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 20, 2022 11:30

Of course Charlie is worth way, way more than 30 million...

Mathijs

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 14:14

Mathijs
Of course Charlie is worth way, way more than 30 million...

Mathijs

Without doubt. I expect a lot of it's in Shirley's name or abroad. All carefully and legally structured I believe he had property in Feance He moved to his Devon home in 1982 and was in the South of France for 10 odd years before that.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home