Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rory Gallagher
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 14, 2022 15:42

Rory Gallagher "Live in Europe" released May 14, 1972. His best in my opinion and one of the top live records of the era- great recording, incredible energy. If youre only getting one Rory LP, this is the one to get. Have a listen.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-26 13:33 by bv.

Re: OT: Released This Date 1972 Rory Live in Europe
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 14, 2022 18:57

roryfaninva
Rory Gallagher "Live in Europe" released May 14, 1972. His best in my opinion and one of the top live records of the era- great recording, incredible energy. If youre only getting one Rory LP, this is the one to get. Have a listen.

Ya, Rory was a treasure. His brother is doing a good job keeping the legacy alive.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 22:44

Live in Europe '72 is indeed a fantastic live document. Been listening to and watching a lot of live Rory recently - plenty concerts on YouTube and my own DVDs, and the stellar 'Check Shirt Wizard '77' live album released about 2 yeara ago. Featuring the four piece band, 'Check Shirt Wizard' is visceral, powerful stuff.

'Irish Tour '74' I would likely pick as his best, particularly the full Cork show from the box set released a few years ago.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 14, 2022 23:32

"In Your Town" from "Live in Europe"- incredible slide playing.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 15, 2022 14:12

roryfaninva
"In Your Town" from "Live in Europe"- incredible slide playing.

'In Your Town' is immense. Version from Beat Club sessions is a must also.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 15, 2022 15:09

That was my introduction to Rory. "Goin' to my hometown" - the reason I bought the mandolin.

Date: May 15, 2022 15:39

IrelandCalling4

'Irish Tour '74' I would likely pick as his best, particularly the full Cork show from the box set released a few years ago.

I was at this concert in '74.Rory and his band played like maniacs.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: May 15, 2022 15:59

Wonderful record. The fantastic playing aside, Rory was also a great singer. I really love his voice.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: May 15, 2022 16:16

Never any messing about with Rory. Full on, heads down, searing guitar blues-rock and old style r'n'b. And an ever-changing set list so he could incorporate his own new material and well-chosen cover versions.

Perhaps my own absolute favourite, from a whole lifetime of great material, is the material he performed at the BBC AFTER one of his official transmissions had ended. Rory simply kept on playing for the audience for another 30-40 minutes, just for the sheer pleasure of bringing his music to an appreciative audience.

I 'met' him once, very briefly, at the airport in his hometown of Cork. As I was paying for something or other at one of the shops on the concourse, a hand came over my shoulder to deposit money for a newspaper on the counter. Turning around I came face to face with the great man. 'Really sorry' he said with an apologetic smile 'my flight has just been called'. And with that he was gone.

A lovely guy in every respect. A fans musician. A musician's musician. A thoroughly decent human being from his head to his toes.

God bless you Rory and thank you for a lifetime of musical pleasure.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: June 26, 2023 12:19

[www.rorygallagher.com]

Stones related

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 26, 2023 12:58

crholmstrom
roryfaninva

Ya, Rory was a treasure. His brother is doing a good job keeping the legacy alive.

thumbs up

Re: OT: Rory Gallagher
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: June 26, 2023 21:48

some mighty mandolin on this wonderful record !

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 27, 2023 10:44

Was lucky enough to see Rory a number of times from the early 70s onwards.

Not only a wonderful guitar player but, once he started playing, a fantastic showman.

...and it was all completely natural and instinctive...no posing for effect.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: June 27, 2023 15:43

Spud
Was lucky enough to see Rory a number of times from the early 70s onwards.

Not only a wonderful guitar player but, once he started playing, a fantastic showman.

...and it was all completely natural and instinctive...no posing for effect.

Spot on Mr Spud. Rory never posed in his life. Neither indeed have his brother Donal and his nephew Daniel, both of whom do a fabulous job keeping Rory's name , and recorded legacy, alive and fresh.

In the past few years Donal has unearthed some really top quality material that was not issued at the time for some reason. A reason, incidentally, that completely mystifies me given its quality, both musical and technical. No duff stuff here. All thoroughly marvellous.

Earlier on in this thread I referred to material Rory performed, off camera, at the end of a session he performed for the BBC. Never transmitted at the time it can be heard on the BBC Sessions album - if you can find it. It won't be easy to, but it is quite possible. And TOTALLY worth the effort.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 28, 2023 03:23

Taste and Orange amp.
[orangeamps.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home