Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

experience.rollingstones.com - Exile Details ++
Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: May 13, 2022 00:28

Just found this site and clicked the chapters section at the bottom left and it opens up a large amount of unseen photos and interesting content about the Album and songs - chapter by chapter

Also seems to have other albums in the site..

Delete this if its old news but was new to me and pretty cool

CHELSKEITH

Re: experience.rollingstones.com - Exile Details ++
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 13, 2022 00:54

Annoying & a tad misleading account of the reason for the Exile from the UK.

The main reason was that in the context described (financial mismanagement & signing away rights) the BIGGEST factor was that their back Income Tax had simply not been paid on their behalf. (They did NOT know about this). They had made a shitload of money and had not paid Tax and the only way to clear that was to leave the country.

Yes, the top marginal Tax rate at that time was 93%, but that necessarily implies that there's a HUGE income leading up to that point.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Re: experience.rollingstones.com - Exile Details ++
Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: May 13, 2022 18:38

Lots of pictures I've never seen on the site.

Tax situation quoted on the site...

After years of financial mismanagement and inadvertently signing over the rights to their entire back catalogue – pre Sticky Fingers – the Stones business and financial affairs were in a bad way.

Due to the Labour government’s punitive 93% tax on high earners, the Rolling Stones were forced to pay up or leave – they had no choice but to tax exile themselves from England, with the entire band uprooting and moving to France.

"It was impossible to earn enough money to pay back the Inland Revenue and stay in England. I had to get out of the country to pay the tax incurred for me."
Mick Jagger

"It was the only thing to do. What do they call it, a break in earnings? It worked out, thank goodness."
Charlie Watts

"We didn't have any money, when I say no money, I mean no money, nothing"
Mick Jagger

"None of us had paid tax, we thought we had, we thought it had been dealt with - it hadn't."
Bill Wyman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-13 18:40 by MizzAmandaJonez.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1651
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home