Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: David Crosby Announces Retirement From Touring
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 10, 2022 02:30

Re: OT: David Crosby Announces Retirement From Touring
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 10, 2022 02:47

Surprised he is still alive. He was touring because he needed the dough.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 04:07

How many years was he in jail.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 04:12

The title track from his latest album, Joni Mitchell's "For Free" with Sarah Jarosz on harmony vocals, pretty nice effort. Has a great voice for an 80 yr old.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 10, 2022 04:14

Taylor1
How many years was he in jail.

Sentenced to five years, but was paroled after serving just five months.

Crosby

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 10, 2022 05:11

northof49
The title track from his latest album, Joni Mitchell's "For Free" with Sarah Jarosz on harmony vocals, pretty nice effort. Has a great voice for an 80 yr old.

yes he really does still have a lovely voice

i hope he continues to record and maybe perform a show every now and then near his home

also great pick off that album but my favorite song off of it was this one donald fagen wrote and gave to him

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 05:12 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 10, 2022 06:10

Doesn't he come from money? He started life on third base, and somehow he screwed it up. I just hope he has enough dough to not suffer his last years.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 10, 2022 06:22

If it wasn't for the liver transplant he underwent, he would have been gone years ago:

Crosby

"In 1994, his doctor informed him that he had a fatal medical situation: At some point, Crosby had contracted Hepatitis C. As WebMD describes it, the virus is transmitted "through contact with the blood or body fluids of an infected person." Crosby's liver was nearly done. He needed a transplant. There's some controversy out there — transplant candidates often wait inordinate periods before an organ that's a match becomes available. Did he go to the top of the list because he's, well, David Crosby? What about his significant history of substance abuse? That usually kicks ordinary mortals down a few rungs. It's one of those mysteries, but what isn't a mystery is who paid for it: Phil Collins of Genesis. Crosby's take is fairly simple: Collins "loves me. That's the only way you can read it. And I think it was incredibly kind of him to do it."'

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 10, 2022 06:49

daspyknows
Surprised he is still alive. He was touring because he needed the dough.

Yeah, no longer a problem since he sold his catalogue...after saying during covid he was about to lose his house.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 10, 2022 07:54

The Stones go on tour and have zero concern for selling their songs and rights away because they make plenty just from touring.

If David Crosby is smart he'll make the $100-200 million work. Even after taxes it's a lot of money.

Date: May 10, 2022 13:37

Hairball
If it wasn't for the liver transplant he underwent, he would have been gone years ago:

Crosby

"In 1994, his doctor informed him that he had a fatal medical situation: At some point, Crosby had contracted Hepatitis C. As WebMD describes it, the virus is transmitted "through contact with the blood or body fluids of an infected person." Crosby's liver was nearly done. He needed a transplant. There's some controversy out there — transplant candidates often wait inordinate periods before an organ that's a match becomes available. Did he go to the top of the list because he's, well, David Crosby? What about his significant history of substance abuse? That usually kicks ordinary mortals down a few rungs. It's one of those mysteries, but what isn't a mystery is who paid for it: Phil Collins of Genesis. Crosby's take is fairly simple: Collins "loves me. That's the only way you can read it. And I think it was incredibly kind of him to do it."'

I remember dragging my wife to a couple of CSN shows in '96 or '97 because she had never seen them before and I wanted her to see them before it was too late. Even then, more than 25 years ago, I wasn't sure if David would be around much longer. I guess he was still recovering from the liver transplant in those days because he was barely even a presence at those shows. I think he sang lead on just two songs. Anyway, to have survived almost 30 years with a transplanted liver, they must have given him a good one. I don't know what the statistics are, but 30 years has got to be way better than an average outcome.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 10, 2022 16:18

To draw an analogy , if a tree falls in the woods will anyone hear it ?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 10, 2022 16:53

I guess Graham wasn't lying when he said he's the only one you can see to see CSNY music.

Sad to hear. Yes, Crosby has been on borrowed time, so he's lucky he's made it this far. But I think he said a few years ago with Covid that he needs the pandemic to end because he NEEDS to tour. Like, thats how he makes his money. I guess maybe not now that he sold his catalogue (I guess that might have been why he did it), but thats sad. A decade ago he was still sounding really good! And his recent run of albums, while not memorable, were really solid additions.

Date: May 10, 2022 18:00

Didnt he bame Altamont on Mick and Keith

Date: May 10, 2022 18:01

Didn't he blame Altamont on Mick and Keith

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 10, 2022 19:21

24FPS
Doesn't he come from money? He started life on third base, and somehow he screwed it up. I just hope he has enough dough to not suffer his last years.

His father Floyd was a cinematographer who worked on films like High Noon. Whether that means that David came "from money" and was born on third base is a matter of opinion. Maybe second base?

30 years ago I would have never imagined that he would have lived this long. He's a fortunate man.

I like the version of "For Free" that he did with The Byrds on their '73 reunion album: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 20:25

Talented but very troubled person. Chris Hillman's books shed a bit of light on him. How he described young David in the Byrds era sounded like undiagnosed mental illness, which back then wasn't even remotely considered a big deal.

Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 20:33

Complete @#$%& who deserves no more attention.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 10, 2022 20:44

In Crosby’s autobiography Long Time Gone, he describes how his father got blacklisted during the McCarthy witch-hunt and wasn’t able to get hired by the major studios, despite being an Academy Award winning cinematographer. To survive he worked on a bunch of Roger Corman’s B-Movies. I believe his parents divorced. I doubt under these circumstances that he was leading the entitled life.

As far as his liver transplant, he describes how he intentionally moved to a state with no helmet law for motorcyclists, in his case, Montana. Apparently the death rates from accidents are significantly higher in states with no helmet laws, and your chances of getting an organ donor are much more likely.

Date: May 10, 2022 21:10

Javadave

As far as his liver transplant, he describes how he intentionally moved to a state with no helmet law for motorcyclists, in his case, Montana. Apparently the death rates from accidents are significantly higher in states with no helmet laws, and your chances of getting an organ donor are much more likely.

I worked with a guy who did exactly that. He looked pretty sick and retired early, then left California for Louisiana. I couldn't figure out why, because his whole family lived here. Saw him a few years later and he looked great. He had moved back with his brand new liver.

Date: May 10, 2022 23:02

timmyj3
Talented but very troubled person. Chris Hillman's books shed a bit of light on him. How he described young David in the Byrds era sounded like undiagnosed mental illness, which back then wasn't even remotely considered a big deal.

If you watch his documentary, literally no ones talks to David anymore. Neil Young, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman. Crosby's burned every bridge. Oddly enough, Graham, probably his closest partner, has never said exactly why. And it was annoying the documentary that Cameron Crowe never really gets WHY no one will talk to him, but just that no one will. These guys hate him to do, but besides Neil who says he said bad stuff about his girlfriend, no one has a reason.

Date: May 11, 2022 02:14

RollingFreak
Crosby's burned every bridge.

Well...yeah.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 11, 2022 08:10

TheGreek
To draw an analogy , if a tree falls in the woods will anyone hear it ?

Only if they are there.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:47

GasLightStreet

If David Crosby is smart he'll make the $100-200 million work. Even after taxes it's a lot of money.

From what? He didn't write the famous Byrds or CSNY songs? What? Almost Cut My Hair? Guinevere? Deja Vu? He has a third of the Byrds Eight Miles High. His CSNY songs were not hits. He must get an inordinate amount of songwriting royalties from the albums because they were such big sellers from the other's songs. (Thanks Stephen, Graham, Neil and Joni!) Except for Eight Miles High I don't think he was ever a songwriter of any hit singles.

Date: May 12, 2022 00:43

24FPS
GasLightStreet

From what? He didn't write the famous Byrds or CSNY songs? What? Almost Cut My Hair? Guinevere? Deja Vu? He has a third of the Byrds Eight Miles High. His CSNY songs were not hits. He must get an inordinate amount of songwriting royalties from the albums because they were such big sellers from the other's songs. (Thanks Stephen, Graham, Neil and Joni!) Except for Eight Miles High I don't think he was ever a songwriter of any hit singles.

True. He's never written a hit song. The closest he's ever come to the Billboard Top 40 was "Carry Me," a song from a 1975 Crosby-Nash album that peaked at #52. "Hero," a song he co-wrote with Phil Collins in the early 90s, was actually a very big hit in Canada, but only reached #44 on the US chart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-12 00:46 by tatters.

Date: May 12, 2022 01:49

tatters
24FPS
GasLightStreet

True. He's never written a hit song. The closest he's ever come to the Billboard Top 40 was "Carry Me," a song from a 1975 Crosby-Nash album that peaked at #52. "Hero," a song he co-wrote with Phil Collins in the early 90s, was actually a very big hit in Canada, but only reached #44 on the US chart.

Sure but he's got a ton of great songs, even just in CSN that it doesn't really matter if he wrote hits. He wrote the songs that a lot of people want to hear. Guinevere, Deja Vu, @#$%& Long Time Gone, Almost Cut My Hair, Wooden Ships, Laughing, Triad. Dude's had his problems but he wrote some amazing songs, and I thought he pulled his equal weight with Nash and Stills.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home