Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Fans shun tickets to Stones gigs
Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 9, 2022 22:03

Well it is what it is. Expensive

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 9, 2022 22:34

babyblue
It's also a lot of fun. Can't wait to see them again. In 2017 i really thought it was the last time. I looked at jagger intently sadly thinking "this will be the last time I'll see them fit alive". And here we are in 2022 for another round. Can't believe it.

Posted by: pjb ()
Date: May 9, 2022 23:24

Whale
babyblue
It's also a lot of fun. Can't wait to see them again. In 2017 i really thought it was the last time. I looked at jagger intently sadly thinking "this will be the last time I'll see them fit alive". And here we are in 2022 for another round. Can't believe it.

Thought the same thats why i am flying over from New Zealand for Hyde park. Need one last fix

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 9, 2022 23:56

DandelionPowderman
Stonesfan62
It's been widely reported in British newspapers this weekend that thousands of tickets remain unsold for the Rolling Stones shows at Hyde Park on June 25 and July 3. It would appear the Rolling Stones need a reality check and realise that not everybody has deep pockets. I have a good friend and massive Stones fan who lives in Liverpool said the same thing is happening there with slow ticket sales. In Britain we are in a cost of living crisis and I can only hope the Stones offer more lucky dips in an attempt to shift some of these unsold tickets.

John Nicholls

The GA-tickets weren't that expensive?

Agreed. HP is £95 I don't call that too bad considering a whole day of entertainment HP#1 in 2013 was a blast. Just hoping for the same weather

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 00:00

PaintMonkeyManBlack
snoopy2
PaintMonkeyManBlack
Vienna seems a very slow seller. The rest looks good, no problems at all.

that's funny, the other venues seem open to me but every time I check Vienna there's not much left.. maybe I'm seeing things backwards!

its not about the number of blocks but about the number of free seats in the block.

Ahh, got it smiling smiley

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: May 10, 2022 00:17

Wow. Concert tickets are too expensive?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 00:19 by Kennedy.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 10, 2022 00:47

I will be going to Hyde Park on both days of the two gig's but I probably won't be at the live shows.
I've recently had a knee replacement op. and standing as near as possible to the stage for many, many hours to keep your spot is not what I want to do as a 70 year old Rolling Stones fan.
I'm very happy to be at Hyde Park both gigs to meet many old friends and probably new ones on IORR not met before.
Always easy to find a great place in the Park to listen to the Rolling Stones live, and I'm happy with that.
Only got to get there on the bus or train and back home is no hassle at all.

Really looking forward to see the IORR band live at The Hope and Anchor Pub for the first time since Denmark Street way back,and will probably stay overnight at a local hotel. smileys with beer

Re: Fans shun tickets to Stones gigs MORE REASONS WHY
Posted by: KevinPenthouse ()
Date: May 10, 2022 08:05

there are Multiple reasons for slow sales
a.) yes its the economy of course at the top BUT
b.) every act under the sun is touring after lockdowns - no working for years competition is intense Paul McCartney Roger Waters The Eagles Stevie Nicks Chili Peppers E John Kiss the Who Aerosmith Dylan the Dead Rod Stewart its easier to list who is not touring - its fuggin saturated when have they all toured in the same year
c.) 1st year for concerts in Europe . . . USA is into year 2 not everyone STILL has a comfort level to go squeeze into crowds at this point in post covid time
d.) economy is worse in europe some of those those reckless economic policies have hurt everyday people salt of the earth concert goers
e.) as a regular concert goer . . . not all acts are "putting out "100%" a lot seem to be fulfilling obligations and making payroll for staff thats been outta work for 2+ years. (some have stated so) shows have been average lackluster NOT saying that for the Stones though. they still bring it, but people are less enthused about concerts and some acts are also less enthused.
f.) spending $$ on a regular holiday vacation instead and first vacation in years possibly
g.) Ticketmaster scalping "dynamic pricing" that is now the norm has left a bad taste in a lot of ticket buyers wallets ! Count me in this group!! big time getting ripped off unwarranted over charging or for no reason sur charges. and Why doesnt Ticketmaster do dynamic pricing in reverse ??? lower costs LOL concert seats in the USA went empty rather than ticket sellers giving in & lower pricing
h.) Covid policies can flip flop at any moment countries and venues can change their rules policies for no common sense reasoning thats an unknown who wants to deal with that gray area . . . . moreso with 1st year outta covid and european has no precedence rulings or who can really predict here
i.) Travel hassles ( especially going long distances and for short stays where you need all plans to fall in line without hiccups) plus excessive costs due to Covid and the economy. Flights can get cancelled at any time happening more & more due to Union issues Covid policies worker shortages etc. and replacement "cost free" replacement flights maybe 5 days later. Happened to me for Stones in Vegas. I fortunately didnt wait for airline to re schedule me -- purchased another flight the last flight out !!!
j.) no refundable rooms
k.) less interest to go to europe from abroad than in many years

it was a whole lot less complex when we all just drove a pick up truck painted green & blue to shows

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-12 05:32 by KevinPenthouse.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 10, 2022 12:33

Are Pink Floyd touring Kevin?
Great magazine by the way.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 10, 2022 13:03

Link to the Daily Mail story:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

We're not Rolling in it! Fans shun tickets to Stones' Hyde Park gigs nine years after every seat was snapped up almost instantly - as they blame the soaring cost of living

- A decade after every seat at the Stones went in five minutes, wallets are thin
- Thousands of tickets for June 25 and July 3, starting at £95.75, remain unsold
- Fans have blamed the cost of living, with one saying: 'It is a lot of money'
- Pearl Jam, Duran Duran and The Eagles tickets at Hyde Park are also unsold

All tickets to their British Summer Time festival performances in London in 2013 were snapped up almost instantly – despite costing at least £95. But two months after going on sale this year, thousands of tickets for June 25 and July 3, starting at the same price of £95.75, are still unsold. It is the same for their Liverpool date at Anfield with the band’s website showing availability for tickets priced between £79 and £434.95 – only a little more expensive than their performances in 2018.

Fans blame the soaring cost of living. Mike Andrews, 47, from Bow, East London, said: ‘I’ve bought tickets, but friends have decided to give the shows a miss. It is a lot of money, with the soaring price of food, petrol and energy bills.

Bjornulf

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 10, 2022 13:46

Odd. I don’t remember anyone predicting sluggish ticket sales. I wonder how many other places this would be the case, and if this makes The Stones more likely to come back to the US soon.

Posted by: bauk77 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 14:03

thats why this tour is the cheapest since years regarding ticket prices!

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 10, 2022 14:14

NashvilleBlues
Odd. I don’t remember anyone predicting sluggish ticket sales. I wonder how many other places this would be the case, and if this makes The Stones more likely to come back to the US soon.

As a whole this tour has, in fact, sold pretty well if you go and look at seating charts/availability. No show is a complete sellout at the moment, except Paris, but then again stadium/outdoors shows rarely sell out 100% anyway.

A real quick look would suggest that Liverpool, Bern and Brussels are among the slowest sellers so far. I didn't do a detailed search, just a glance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 14:20 by Topi.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 14:19

Could it also be that the fans know they’ll get the same set list as they got years and years ago? Nothing new to hear apart from perhaps Living in a Ghost Town. So why pay to see the same old same old. Pity. A new album, three or four new tracks and maybe, maybe some (some) of those sitting on the fence might have bought tickets. The Stones bought this on themselves perhaps?

Rod

Date: May 10, 2022 14:23

I don't know if a new album would have made much of a difference on ticket sales, you have to remember that most patrons at a given show will still be casual fans who are there to hear the greatest hits/warhorses.

Date: May 10, 2022 14:29

I have seen the Stones live for many years, and all these years, people have said shows are selling slow. It is like a disease, or like a plague. It is like some people enjoy bringing bad news.

It does not really matter if a show is 80% or 90% or 100% sold out. For those who attend the show, it's still a show. Those who did not buy tickets missed that show, as simple as that.

Price will always be an issue. Personally I hate any field show. Being hundreds of meters or yards or feet away from the band, like standing near Marble Arch or Speakers Corner attending the Hyde Park show, would not be fantastic. May be at 50 punds, rather than £99, but still you do not see the band. You may "see" and at least hear the show for free from Bayswater Road or Park Lane.

It was the same last year in USA. People said they did not sell well, but stadiums were packed. I am sure thousands of fans will enjoy the shows this summer as well.

Bjornulf

Date: May 10, 2022 14:37

Don’t get me wrong. IF they announced a club show or RAH and I was ABLE to score tickets, I’d fly in from PERTH. I love them. But I get why people might be reticent if all they hear is they same old same old. I AM envious of those attending. But I can’t bear to spring for flights to Europe, Accommodation and spending monies and tickets to a huge show if it’s the same show I saw in Adelaide or PERTH in 2014. Give me a small show where I can touch them and I’d be there if I got tickets. I HAD tickets to the Miami Hard Rock in the US last year but even that was too big a venue for the same show, so threw them back; give me something like The Enmore in 2003, my greatest ever Stones experience!

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 14:49 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: May 10, 2022 14:47

bitusa2012
Could it also be that the fans know they’ll get the same set list as they got years and years ago? Nothing new to hear apart from perhaps Living in a Ghost Town. So why pay to see the same old same old. Pity. A new album, three or four new tracks and maybe, maybe some (some) of those sitting on the fence might have bought tickets. The Stones bought this on themselves perhaps?

I think you are right here. It counts for me as well. Seen them 40 times, but getting sick and tired of the same old songs.
They are in a hotel this minute in Amsterdam, as we all know. Only 15 minutes walk from my work.
Haven't even been there yet. In earlier days, I would be there day and night.

Such a pity, that it turned out this way.

Date: May 10, 2022 14:52

Topi
I don't know if a new album would have made much of a difference on ticket sales, you have to remember that most patrons at a given show will still be casual fans who are there to hear the greatest hits/warhorses.

I think it’s a cumulative effect. Imagine 4 new albums of original material in the nearly 18 years since the last one, a couple of songs from each as the tours/years went by, and we’d all be getting essentially half a NEW show thru those years - admitting several warhorses NEED to be played! But no, we get 3 singles and that’s it. So the show, as great as it is, remains the same. For $100s of bucks.

Rod

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 14:54 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 10, 2022 14:53

It isn't surprising at all. Whilst £95 isn't entirely unreasonable, when one factors in the additional travel cost, food and drink, and - for some - accommodation, it's unaffordable for many. I'm attending the first Hyde Park show, but only because my added costs will only be for beer; any further costs, and I most certainly wouldn't be attending.

Date: May 10, 2022 15:10

bv
I have seen the Stones live for many years, and all these years, people have said shows are selling slow. It is like a disease, or like a plague. It is like some people enjoy bringing bad news.

All these years? Every tour you went to? That's surprising to hear.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 10, 2022 16:09

"Give me a small show where I can touch them" I get the sentiment but it's not a strip club

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 10, 2022 16:17

The landscape has changed a lot . First COVID-19 , then the economic impact of it and rising fuel and rising prices across the board and folks have less "disposable" income in the real world . There is a war going on in the other side of the world that has impacted fuel prices and food prices and everything else . People are struggling . Do you think people care about throwing money away on costly tickets and travel and lodging and food ? Heck people had vacations planned and with the global economy in a free fall people are opting for stay- cations . The touring industry is in for a rude awakening to say the least as it is a luxury during these times we live in .

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 10, 2022 16:38

Then it's time to sell the rest of the tickets for half the price or more for the poor people amongst us problem is how do you know someone is poor

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 10, 2022 16:46

NICOS
Then it's time to sell the rest of the tickets for half the price or more for the poor people amongst us problem is how do you know someone is poor

They could just charge reasonable prices in the first place. bv is right: £50 would've been a fairer GA ticket-price for a venue such as Hyde Park.

Date: May 10, 2022 17:22

Topi
bv

All these years? Every tour you went to? That's surprising to hear.

Sure. Every tour there are some talking about poor sales and high ticket prices. Nothing new ... And it is clearly documented here on IORR in threads related to the tours.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 17:24 by bv.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 10, 2022 19:25

NashvilleBlues

Most of the shows here were about 75% full and also every classic rock band with 1 available member are going on the road here.

BUT

Geezers aren't coming back in the same numbers.

At least Stones & McCartney draw a lot of young people.

Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 20:25

For me the formula is simple. Expensive ticket + No new Lp + Static set list = lack of ticket sales. The Stones really aren't giving fans a reason to purchase tickets. Almost the same song list from 50th anniversary tour only without Mick Taylor guest appearance. Times are economicly difficult for many fans and as we all know, when it comes to money the Stones won't be giving anyone a break.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 20:27

Fans shun tickets to Stones gigs = Biggest grossing tour of 2022 in Europe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 20:27 by timmyj3.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 10, 2022 20:47

If they come back to the US, I'm only buying LD's from here on out.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1290
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home