Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Formula 1
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 8, 2022 00:59

Anyone else into F1 racing? I've been getting into it the last few years. The first Miami Grand Prix is tomorrow. They did a great job with the track. The race should awesome. Go Ferrari!>grinning smiley<

Re: OT Formula 1
Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: May 8, 2022 01:43

Typically, F1 brings thoughts of machinery, technology and speed, but recently jewelry seems to be the main topic of discussion. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 8, 2022 03:00

I was a ute (hello, Cousin Vinnie) when I got hooked on F1 racing. Stirling Moss and Jim Clark were my fave drivers. I watched every race I could. Haven't paid any real attention to it in years. The 24 hours of Le Mans was another watch for me. I was all go go go for Carroll Shelby and team Ford/Cobra if I am remembering correctly on back in the day. Ron Howard's movie "Rush" is a good take on the Hunt-Lauda F1 drivers rivalry. Not F1, but there is a movie with the late actor Steve McQueen about the 24 hour Le Mans race. There's also a movie titled "Grand Prix" with the late James Garner and Yves Montand which has footage of F1 drivers of the 1960s. Can't say much for this movie, but it's there. And, than, there's the bs of Ironman 2 at the Monaco grand prix, cinema wise.

(BTW, if you can find it in your local supermarket, there's a mix for Carroll Shelby Chili. Good as is, but throw in some Rotel with habaneros instead of tomato sauce, a splash of this spice, a splash of that, some sauteed onions, and, man, you got some good eatin' scoopin' it all up with tortilla chips. Black beans added to the mix goes well too.)

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 8, 2022 07:19

I used to follow F1 back in the late 80s early 90s when Ayrton Senna was the champ. Still can't get over the crash that killed him. Also followed a little later when Canadian Jacque Villeneuve was racing.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 8, 2022 12:16

crholmstrom
Anyone else into F1 racing? I've been getting into it the last few years. The first Miami Grand Prix is tomorrow. They did a great job with the track. The race should awesome. Go Ferrari!>grinning smiley<

Yeah F1 just got very exciting again, after so many years of Mercedes dominance i lost interest, it will be interesting to see how Lewis reacts this year with a struggling car and George Russell.

It's just the icing on the cake this year with Ferrari being so competitive, good luck today if you got tickets.

I got into F1 in the Nigel Mansell era, and then it was Schumacher and Damon Hill, what Michael Schumacher achieved in a Benetton Ford, and then how he turned it around for Ferrari puts him down as the greatest driver, well for me anyway.

Date: May 8, 2022 12:21

I have nothing against F1 racing as long as they do it in the desert.

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: May 8, 2022 12:44

Red Bull-Verstappen/Perez, Austria-Holland go, go, go winking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 8, 2022 14:26

To make it interesting you must have someone to root for. There are no Swedish drivers involved so... And to me it seems that the same drivers and teams wins every season. A concern for the few...

Date: May 8, 2022 14:44

Stoneage
To make it interesting you must have someone to root for. There are no Swedish drivers involved so... And to me it seems that the same drivers and teams wins every season. A concern for the few...

This year seems more competitive. With Mercedes having a down year & Red Bull has had some issues also. It has leveled the playing field a bit. Ferrari seemed to do better than most in figuring out how to make the most of the new car configuration. This week's results should be interesting.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 8, 2022 15:53

Miami doesn’t look like it’ll bring good racing.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: May 8, 2022 16:59

F1 is all about money glitz and glamor its a wine and cheese crowd. The racing itself is not competitive at all whoever gets lead on lap 1 usually leads the whole race very boring.Not to mention the prices for tickets are ludicrous. If you want to watch good competitive racing at affordable prices watch NASCAR.

Date: May 8, 2022 17:41

Rickster
F1 is all about money glitz and glamor its a wine and cheese crowd. The racing itself is not competitive at all whoever gets lead on lap 1 usually leads the whole race very boring.Not to mention the prices for tickets are ludicrous. If you want to watch good competitive racing at affordable prices watch NASCAR.

I got bored with NASCAR when they changed the rules. Also with the tracks. One thing about a F1 race is you don't have to devote a whole day to watch. They're done in 2 hours where is NASCAR is typically 3 hours +. Also, F1 races in the rain. After last year's Indy 500, I'm giving Indy car a chance. They seem to be open to making some changes. I much prefer the road courses to the ovals. I'm hoping to go to the first Las Vegas Grand Prix & maybe this year's Portland Grand Prix for Indy car.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 8, 2022 17:49

Rickster: That is such ignorance of this sport. F1 can produce the most unpredictable and exiting drama. And I have nothing but HUGE respect for the drivers. They are top athletes with extreme abilities that should be compared with fighter jet pilots rather than NASCAR drivers. Driving a F1-car is far more demanding, difficult, and complicated than NASCAR, and the competitiveness is not even close. Every track is different, for a start. They are racing in 300 km/h within centimetres of each other with extreme downforce, experiencing 5-6 G when they break: the weight of the helmet will then be more than 40 kilograms. If you lose concentration just for a fraction of a second, the car behind gets pass you – or worse, you crash. The temperature inside the cockpit can reach 80 degrees Celsius (almost 180 degrees Fahrenheit) and they lose many kilos during every race. If you think they are just driving a car, you are mistaken.

Date: May 8, 2022 18:18

The Worst.
Rickster: That is such ignorance of this sport. F1 can produce the most unpredictable and exiting drama. And I have nothing but HUGE respect for the drivers. They are top athletes with extreme abilities that should be compared with fighter jet pilots rather than NASCAR drivers. Driving a F1-car is far more demanding, difficult, and complicated than NASCAR, and the competitiveness is not even close. Every track is different, for a start. They are racing in 300 km/h within centimetres of each other with extreme downforce, experiencing 5-6 G when they break: the weight of the helmet will then be more than 40 kilograms. If you lose concentration just for a fraction of a second, the car behind gets pass you – or worse, you crash. The temperature inside the cockpit can reach 80 degrees Celsius (almost 180 degrees Fahrenheit) and they lose many kilos during every race. If you think they are just driving a car, you are mistaken.
thumbs up PS: I prefer wine & cheese to beer & pretzels. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-08 18:20 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 8, 2022 18:34

I recently attended a Formula E-prix event outside of Rome, Italy. All of the F1's were electric and that was novel. The most fun for me was all the exhibitions they had on the grounds. Lots of interesting stuff, interactive too.
As for the race, I get that people really like it, but probably something I won't attend again. Maybe.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: May 8, 2022 19:40

Comparing F1 to NASCAR is the same as comparing football(soccer) to football.

I like both and consider the series extreme examples of apples and oranges.

Date: May 9, 2022 00:13

Good race today. Lots of competition in the field especially in the last third of the race.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 9, 2022 00:55

The fake marina was the icing on the cake. smoking smiley

Date: May 9, 2022 01:31

crholmstrom
Good race today. Lots of competition in the field especially in the last third of the race.

Shouldn’t take a safety car to make a race exciting.

Date: May 9, 2022 12:53

Bastion
crholmstrom

The safety car is part of the race. Ask Lewis Hamilton about the last race of last season. Also, the good racing wasn't just at the front of the pack. There were several good battles throughout the field.

Date: May 9, 2022 15:41

crholmstrom
Bastion
crholmstrom

The safety car is part of the race. Ask Lewis Hamilton about the last race of last season. Also, the good racing wasn't just at the front of the pack. There were several good battles throughout the field.

I never said there wasn’t good throughout the pack?

I’m saying before the safety car it was easily going to be the one of the most boring races I’ve seen in the last 10 years or so

Date: May 9, 2022 16:28

Bastion
crholmstrom
Bastion
crholmstrom

I never said there wasn’t good throughout the pack?

I’m saying before the safety car it was easily going to be the one of the most boring races I’ve seen in the last 10 years or so

The previous race in Italy was pretty dull. winking smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 9, 2022 17:09

I’ve never been to an F1 race. Wondering if they play music at the track and, if so, is it Billy Preston’s Go Around In Circles?

Date: May 9, 2022 17:21

F1 isn't in circles, STG. That is more like Indy car and Nascar. F1 actually has tracks or circuits. It's essential to be in pole position though.
Or second or third on the start grid. Otherwise it's a challenge to win the race.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-09 17:26 by Stoneage.

Date: May 9, 2022 17:24

Ah. I stand corrected. smiling smiley

Date: May 9, 2022 17:25

Now I want to know whether they play it at Indy or NASCAR races… grinning smiley

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 9, 2022 20:15

I went to the British Grand Prix several years back and shelled out a lot of dosh and got a bit bored with all the stopping and starting with safety cars etc.For excitement and action the Isle of Man TT races are far superior,and it’s free.

Date: May 9, 2022 20:24

Yes, the Isle of Man TT race is something. Talk about daredevils...

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: May 9, 2022 20:59

crholmstrom

Thanks for starting this thread. I’ve become a huge F1 fan over last 10 years or so (along with wife and daughter); it’s been a retirement diversion. Have attended every race in Austin except for first one, along with x2 Montreal, x3 Melbourne (including 2020 COVID cancellation) and x1 Barcelona. Very enjoyable spectacle. Tend to root for everyone but Mercedes (though very respectful of Hamilton’s skill) and enjoy the midfield battles as much as the race for the podium. Big Kimi fan for years; loved his 2018 Austin win. Also partial to Riccardo as we met him at Allen’s Boots in Austin several years back; real nice guy.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 9, 2022 21:13

SomeTorontoGirl
Now I want to know whether they play it at Indy or NASCAR races… grinning smiley

Haha, most Indy and NASCAR races are at racetrack ovals but there are some courses that aren't ovals. Did you ever go to Molson Indy Toronto? Montreal F1 race is huge. Indy Vancouver used to draw huge crowds but due to development around BC Place, the races had to stop.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home