Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Fiji Jim
Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: April 30, 2022 00:27

Been listing to this track for some time. I remember it as a bootleg, but the official version with the lyrics is pretty impressive. Wonder why Jagger/Richards took 40 years to release it. Its inclusion on any of the post Some Girls LPs would have been an improvement on any of the releases.

Re: Fiji Jim
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 30, 2022 00:38

i love the song too

but i don't think its even in the top ten best outtakes from some girls

which is why i think it took 40 years for mick to do something with it

they just have so much better material to work with from the outtake of some girls

they arguably still do

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: April 30, 2022 05:52

illyad1960
Been listing to this track for some time. I remember it as a bootleg, but the official version with the lyrics is pretty impressive. Wonder why Jagger/Richards took 40 years to release it. Its inclusion on any of the post Some Girls LPs would have been an improvement on any of the releases.

I agree with you and have posted about how this song is among the best (to me) things released by the band in recent times. Jagger's vocals on the song are new, but most, if not all, of the band's track is from 1978. Man it cooks and swings!!!

We're gonna call up Fiji Jim,
call up Steve and Duane
There's a cat on bass whose gonna bust the place
Or else, go down in flames
We've already drunk four cases of wine
Snorted an ounce of cocaine
Got a keg of beer? Bring it over here
A six-pack or champagne

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 30, 2022 06:17

ProfessorWolf
i love the song too

they just have so much better material to work with from the outtake of some girls

they arguably still do

I'm still thrownt that they never finished Misty Roads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-01 15:52 by GasLightStreet.

Date: April 30, 2022 08:16

GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
i love the song too

they arguably still do

I'm still thrownt that they never finished Mist Roads.

yeah me too

or munich hilton

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: April 30, 2022 10:18

....and ” everlasting is my love”.....!?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 30, 2022 11:49

I have never been any big fan of "Fiji Jim", but I have really started to appreciate the song the more I listen the TATTOO YOU bonus album. And I do listen that a lot. With its simple, repetitive structure it reminds me of Dylan's way of doing rockers, building a story over it. It swings and rolls like their best rockers from that era do. Jagger's vocals are really strong. Funny lyrics too. A compact piece, and gives good SOME GIRLS era vibes.

Strange that they didn't include it on SOME GIRLS bonus album. They filled it with country stuff and EMOTIONAL RESCUE material when they had this pure, energetic SOME GIRLS rocker in the can (one good thing is that they didn't, since Mick seems to sing better these days than at that time, as odd as it is).

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-30 12:09 by Doxa.

Date: May 1, 2022 07:54

Doxa
I have never been any big fan of "Fiji Jim", but I have really started to appreciate the song the more I listen the TATTOO YOU bonus album. And I do listen that a lot. With its simple, repetitive structure it reminds me of Dylan's way of doing rockers, building a story over it. It swings and rolls like their best rockers from that era do. Jagger's vocals are really strong. Funny lyrics too. A compact piece, and gives good SOME GIRLS era vibes.

Strange that they didn't include it on SOME GIRLS bonus album. They filled it with country stuff and EMOTIONAL RESCUE material when they had this pure, energetic SOME GIRLS rocker in the can (one good thing is that they didn't, since Mick seems to sing better these days than at that time, as odd as it is).

- Doxa

I forget exactly when but Mick had said something like, "I should've held on to this track for later" etc regarding the EOMS extra tracks.

Little dude - later is HERE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-01 15:53 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 1, 2022 12:57

Fiji Jim is easily the best original song on the bonus Tattoo CD.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 1, 2022 21:19

GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

I forget exactly when but Mick had said something like, "I should've held on to this track for later" etc regarding the EOMS extra tracks.

Little dude - later is HERE.

But unfortunately not in all cases - Misty Roads, I Need You, Munich Hilton, Separately, Travellin' Man, Hillside Blues and numerous more...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 1, 2022 23:21

Separately was a Mick Taylor that he released under his name (like Leather Jacket) no chance this will ever appear on a Stones recording !

But yeah, "Misty Roads" (aka The Way She Held me Tight) is a mystery, "I Need You" a bit less although it has some potential.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 2, 2022 02:53

gotdablouse
Separately was a Mick Taylor that he released under his name (like Leather Jacket) no chance this will ever appear on a Stones recording !

But yeah, "Misty Roads" (aka The Way She Held me Tight) is a mystery, "I Need You" a bit less although it has some potential.

"Separately" as released by Mick Taylor has very little in common with the Stones instrumental, apart maybe from a short guitar lick that's lifted from the piano in the original. IMO Taylor just used the title and created something new, cleverly also using this short lick, borrowed from Nicky Hopkins. He obviously wasn't entirely convinced by his own effort as it only appears as a bonus track on the japanese "A Stones' Throw".

But whatever - if there's a will, there's always a way, and if the Stones finally discover the beauty of the original instrumental, a small financial donation to Mick Taylor will probably do the trick. But as it stands, the original is a lost diamond - with such a beautiful atmosphere that it could easily be used in numerous film soundtracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-02 02:59 by retired_dog.

Date: May 2, 2022 03:04

Doxa

- Doxa

Careful, Doxa, as "Fiji Jim" may not be the best example for this theory as it was one of the tracks Chris Kimsey dug out for possible use as "Voodoo Lounge"-era single b-sides (of these, only "So Young" made the grade back then). So it's well possible that Mick's vocals on Fiji Jim are already 30 years old by now!

Date: May 2, 2022 09:15

retired_dog
Doxa

- Doxa

Careful, Doxa, as "Fiji Jim" may not be the best example for this theory as it was one of the tracks Chris Kimsey dug out for possible use as "Voodoo Lounge"-era single b-sides (of these, only "So Young" made the grade back then). So it's well possible that Mick's vocals on Fiji Jim are already 30 years old by now!

good point

and out of curiosity i went listened to so young and living in the heart of love then fiji jim and maybe

but i'm leaning towards that it's a more recent vocal

however i'd love to hear what others think

Posted by: snarf2014 ()
Date: May 2, 2022 16:34

Probably from 2021. But what about Fast Talking,Slow Walking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-02 16:35 by snarf2014.

Date: May 2, 2022 16:44

May 2021

spring: THE ROLLING STONES. London, RAK Studios.
MJ (voc, gtr, harm) mixes and overdubs leftover studio tracks for the upcoming
Tattoo You re-release (see 211022A). Additional overdubs by RW (gtr), Matt
Clifford (keyb). Incl.
- Come To The Ball III (MJ/KR) -Windmill with vocals, see also 730127A
- Drift Away III (Mentor Williams) -see also 740208A
- Fast Talking, Slow Walking IV (MJ/KR) -with new vocals, see also 740208A
- Fiji Jim IV (MJ/KR) -with new vocals, see also 771010B
- It's A Lie IV (MJ/KR) -with new vocals, see also 790621A
- Living In The Heart Of Love III (MJ/KR) -see also 740208A
- Shame, Shame, Shame II (Jimmy Reed) -with new vocals, see also 771010B
- Start Me Up VI (MJ/KR) -Never Stop with new vocals, see also 771010B
- Troubles A' Comin III (Eugene Record) -with new vocals, see also 790122A

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted by: snarf2014 ()
Date: May 2, 2022 17:03

I am familiar with www.nzentgraf.de, but is the information 100% correct? I wonder if the vocals on Fast Talking, Slow Walking are from 1994.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 2, 2022 17:15

retired_dog
Doxa

- Doxa

I call that impossible because of the nature of the added lyrics

Date: May 2, 2022 20:44

GasLightStreet
May 2021

spring: THE ROLLING STONES. London, RAK Studios.
MJ (voc, gtr, harm) mixes and overdubs leftover studio tracks for the upcoming
Tattoo You re-release (see 211022A). Additional overdubs by RW (gtr), Matt
Clifford (keyb). Incl.
- Come To The Ball III (MJ/KR) -Windmill with vocals, see also 730127A
- Drift Away III (Mentor Williams) -see also 740208A
- Fast Talking, Slow Walking IV (MJ/KR) -with new vocals, see also 740208A
- Fiji Jim IV (MJ/KR) -with new vocals, see also 771010B
- It's A Lie IV (MJ/KR) -with new vocals, see also 790621A
- Living In The Heart Of Love III (MJ/KR) -see also 740208A
- Shame, Shame, Shame II (Jimmy Reed) -with new vocals, see also 771010B
- Start Me Up VI (MJ/KR) -Never Stop with new vocals, see also 771010B
- Troubles A' Comin III (Eugene Record) -with new vocals, see also 790122A

[www.nzentgraf.de]

That's what Zentgraf estimates, and maybe quite rightly so, but is it based on official facts in all cases?

Of course it's possible that Mick did NOT work on Fiji Jim earlier despite the fact that Chris Kimsey chose the track as possible Voodoo Lounge single B-side material, after all it was Kimsey's proposal only and Mick's final say in the end, but unless there's a proven (=official) fact, well, it's not a proven fact!

Date: May 2, 2022 21:39

Of course there's no way to know unless Mick states it but it seems logical that he did record new vocals in 2021 for all the songs and, possibly similar to Start Me Up, added new lines here and there, keeping some older lines (recordings).

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 2, 2022 21:39

stonesstein
illyad1960

I agree with you and have posted about how this song is among the best (to me) things released by the band in recent times. Jagger's vocals on the song are new, but most, if not all, of the band's track is from 1978. Man it cooks and swings!!!

We're gonna call up Fiji Jim,
call up Steve and Duane
There's a cat on bass whose gonna bust the place
Or else, go down in flames
We've already drunk four cases of wine
Snorted an ounce of cocaine
Got a keg of beer? Bring it over here
A six-pack or champagne
Love the lyrics , as they are so anti PC . Great tune and the Stones Rock it !

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 2, 2022 21:42

Doxa

- Doxa
Sure , as he takes better care of his "instrument" these days and is not party hardy as he was in those days back then . So of course better voice and vocals !

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 2, 2022 23:03

Every time I read these arguments I am perplexed, because the choice of songs to be included in an album goes beyond the simple "this song is more beautiful than this other". There are reasons why a song, even if beautiful, is not included in a certain album, perhaps because it has nothing to do with the album or with the idea of an album that the band wants at that moment for example.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home